Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Cincinnati Reds
Opening Day is only a few weeks away, and there has been no chatter at all on this site regarding the Reds. We have moved out virtually all of the older players and filled those holes with a lot of young blood.

Those players are all exciting and bring to this team the type of Athletecism not seen since the early 90's.

Our mainstays include Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang and Bronson Arroyo.

Phillips should be the leader of this team and is the center of the Fans attention. His fun style will help keep this youthful team loose

We only go as far as our pitching goes. Harang I just hope is going through a typical spring. He has not looked impressive, and actually he appears to have lost much of what made him the teams ace. Arroyo has continued his path of inconsistency. That aside, we have some great young arms that really has me stoked to watch this team.

If Volquez can find the rythem that he had to kick off last year, and then maintain it for the entire year, we have a potential Cy Young award winner. And he may not even be the best young arm on the team. Cueto and Micah Owens could literally pitch this team into playoff contention. They are the best young arms in baseball, something that the Reds have not had in years.

Homer Bailey continues to make me scratch my head. He can look like the "future great" he was predicted to be one game, and then show that he should be playing beer league softball with me on Friday nights in his next two outings.

IMO, Votto will hae a break out year, one that could get him All-Star caliber recognition. Ramon Hernandez is making me a believer. I was not sold on him, and was actually pretty upset that he was not with these young pitchers learning each arm while he played in the WBO. But now that he's back, he has impressed me as a guy that is strong willed and an excellent receiver.

I still wonder if Gonzalez will ever be able to play SS for the Reds for an entire season. He seems to have came in with the "Ken Girffey Jr" luck of have injuries (or his personal situation), that has kept him away from the diamond 3 times as much as he has been on it.

Bruce is a potential 30/30 guy who could drive in 85-100 runs and hit over .300. With all the talk of UK Basketball making me frustrated, this is something that I can get excited about.

Do we have any other Reds (or even Baseball) fans out there? What do you feel about the Reds this season?
I didn't even know they still had a team????LOL."Yeah we've got uniforms and everything"!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:I didn't even know they still had a team????LOL."Yeah we've got uniforms and everything"!

Coming from a BoSox fan.....:ChairHit:

:Thumbs: :biggrin:
I have been a fan of the Reds since the Fred hutchinson (#1) days if that tells you anything. Watching the team with great expectations and seeing what was done in the development of the Big Red Machine. Baseball is a great game and the hopefully the Reds can bring back what is needed and that is contending for a title. The years lately have not been very kind to us as far as winning but still I listen to Marty and The Cowboy or when they are on tv I watch them. The 4 hour drive to the ballpark is made only about once a summer because of so many things that still occupy my time but I am still loyal and every year in April I think that this is the year. Crosley Field was a great place to watch a game as a young kid going there with my Dad and Riverfront had all of the great teams that were winning and I am really looking forward to taking the Grandson to Great American where he can hopefully look back some day with good memories. I believe they will be better this year but maybe it's not all about winning championships. Does anyone remember Waite Hoyt?
Consistency on the mound is the key. We just don't have the pitching to make any run.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:I have been a fan of the Reds since the Fred hutchinson (#1) days if that tells you anything. Watching the team with great expectations and seeing what was done in the development of the Big Red Machine. Baseball is a great game and the hopefully the Reds can bring back what is needed and that is contending for a title. The years lately have not been very kind to us as far as winning but still I listen to Marty and The Cowboy or when they are on tv I watch them. The 4 hour drive to the ballpark is made only about once a summer because of so many things that still occupy my time but I am still loyal and every year in April I think that this is the year. Crosley Field was a great place to watch a game as a young kid going there with my Dad and Riverfront had all of the great teams that were winning and I am really looking forward to taking the Grandson to Great American where he can hopefully look back some day with good memories. I believe they will be better this year but maybe it's not all about winning championships. Does anyone [B]remember Waite Hoyt?

Used to watch the replays of his Public television interviews when I was young. Unquestionbly the greatest story teller of all time. To have never seen the dawn of the "Post Dead Ball Era", hearing Waite tell storys about Ruth, Gehrig, Deroucher, Williams, Mantle were just amazing to hear. I have always wondered why PBS never has re-run those programs.
As Everyone else has said, pitching is the key to this year. I look for Jay Bruce to have a big year along with Joey Votto. The addtion of Willy Tarveras dont hurt either. I hope its the team that will finally be playing in Oct. Does anyone know if Yonder Alonso will be on the 25 man roster, I think it will help us a lot with this big bat., if he preforms like has the last few years in college. Go Reds!
MVP2 Wrote:As Everyone else has said, pitching is the key to this year. I look for Jay Bruce to have a big year along with Joey Votto. This team is young but I hope its the team that will finally be playing in Oct. Does anyone know if Yonder Alonso will be on the 25 game roster, I think it will help us a lot with this big bat., if he preforms like has the last few years in college. Go Reds!

From the constant radio chatter of the last coupld of weeks, it sounds like Alonso will start the year in Lousiville. There were some who wanted him to go to AA for the first month of the season, but Yonder will not consider it. I have mixed feelings about him. He was a great college talent, and may well be a great pro. But coming in with the demands in his contract have pretty much made my feelings more reserved.
I'm excited about the upcoming season and looking forward to taking in 3 or 4 games this summer. I think with the young players in the field and the strong arms in the rotation, we could finish in the top half of the NL Central and potentially make a run at the Wild Card.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:I have been a fan of the Reds since the Fred hutchinson (#1) days if that tells you anything. Watching the team with great expectations and seeing what was done in the development of the Big Red Machine. Baseball is a great game and the hopefully the Reds can bring back what is needed and that is contending for a title. The years lately have not been very kind to us as far as winning but still I listen to Marty and The Cowboy or when they are on tv I watch them. The 4 hour drive to the ballpark is made only about once a summer because of so many things that still occupy my time but I am still loyal and every year in April I think that this is the year. Crosley Field was a great place to watch a game as a young kid going there with my Dad and Riverfront had all of the great teams that were winning and I am really looking forward to taking the Grandson to Great American where he can hopefully look back some day with good memories. I believe they will be better this year but maybe it's not all about winning championships. Does anyone remember Waite Hoyt?
That had to be awesome. :Thumbs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think this years pitching staff will be the best we have seen in several years, also like are young bats in Voto and Bruce. A big key I think is Alex Gonzalez, if he stays healthy maybe we could see a good season in Cinn. I also wonder why Phillips is hitting 4th, I see him as leadoff or second. What do you think Dusty Rhodes??
Ring'Em Up Wrote:That had to be awesome. :Thumbs:
It was pretty neat. I have gone back a couple of times when going to a Reds game and visited the location where Crosley use to be. There is a site that shows where Crosley Field was and what is there now. I saw alot of great players come thru there with Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Hank Aaron and watching Bench as a rookie and also Rose when he came up. The scoreboard in left center was something else plus the terrace. The best I can remember the Sun Deck in right field was only about a dollar but I could be wrong.
Wyatt Earp Wrote:It was pretty neat. I have gone back a couple of times when going to a Reds game and visited the location where Crosley use to be. There is a site that shows where Crosley Field was and what is there now. I saw alot of great players come thru there with Willie Mays, Frank Robinson, Sandy Koufax, Warren Spahn, Hank Aaron and watching Bench as a rookie and also Rose when he came up. The scoreboard in left center was something else plus the terrace. The best I can remember the Sun Deck in right field was only about a dollar but I could be wrong.
Then your probably one of the few people that post on here that can remember who Joe Nuxall's side kick was before Marty.

Wonder if anyone else can remember?
I remember well and it sure brings back a lot of great memories.
You bunch of old people!!!Big Grin
Are awesome, lol...I would love to have seen Pete Rose play.
I miss watching Bench's bunch or something like that I remember that Johnny bench use to host the show..

If the Reds can go deep with the pitching then they will be fine I think... They have so decent sticks in the line-up along with some speed.. Cant wait but I usually only watch the first month and last month of baseball because it really bores me to watch it on tv.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff;746401[B Wrote:]I miss watching Bench's bunch or something like that I remember that Johnny bench use to host the show.. [/B]If the Reds can go deep with the pitching then they will be fine I think... They have so decent sticks in the line-up along with some speed.. Cant wait but I usually only watch the first month and last month of baseball because it really bores me to watch it on tv.

The name of his show was "MVP".
Mr.Kimball Wrote:The name of his show was "MVP".

Actually the name of the show was The Baseball bunch!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Baseball_Bunch
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I can remember Stan Musial playing and then being on Waite's show in Ohio. I had trouble then as to why he was interviewing another player from another team. Do a few remember when he said that he was retiring? What a sad announcement that game. I guess we may be a little off topic Stardust but I can't help it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Look for the reds to have a good season I hope, I love Reds baseball. We have some good young talent, hope they can do good the ENTIRE year.
Anybody remember Johnny's local Cincinnati TV series? It was a talk show called "MVP", and began in 1971. The "Avco Broadcasting" show was taped/filmed at Cincy's WLWT (Channel 5) studios. A short chapter in this book, entitled "On Camera", is devoted to Bench's TV program, featuring some photos taken on the set. I'd sure love to get some of those old "MVP" episodes on DVD! But I fear those programs are now lost forever. --- I searched for this before taking my geritol. He did help with The Baseball Bunch with Tommy Lasorda and Ozzie I think also. Wasn't Frank McCormick the former player that helped Waite and then Claude Sullivan came along afterwards. Not sure.
Under .500 again.
Can everyone please knock off the personal attacks?
You know who you are....stop attacking other members and name calling and stay on topic.
I'm going to second Fox and tell everyone to take your little personal thing to pm's, and leave this thread for discussing the actual topic, the Cincinnati Reds.

Back on topic, I'm going to disagree with the majority opinion on here. I think the key this year is not pitching, but hitting. Volquez was one of the best in the league last year, and Cueto should continue to get better as he matures. Harang should bounce back with a solid year, and Owings will be the best 5th starter they've had in a while. Arroyo is the only real concern I have, but then 4 out of 5 ain't bad! And Homer Bailey will be waiting in the wings should Arroyo falter.

The bullpen should be strong too, with Jared Burton, Arthur Rhodes, and David Weathers setting up for Francisco Cordero. Hopefully Cordero improves upon a subpar year last season.

The hitting is what worries me. Before spring training, the everyday lineup looked to be the team's weak link, and the spring games bore this out. The Reds really struggled to score in a lot of games, and I hope that doesn't carry over into the season. Best case scenario involves Tavares getting on base a lot and using his speed, Votto continuing to develop into an RBI machine, and Bruce bashing a ton of homers. Hopefully Phillips will remember that he's not a power hitter, and gets back to driving the ball to the opposite field and getting lots of doubles.

No matter what my worries, with April always comes perpetual optimism! Go Reds!!!!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Then your probably one of the few people that post on here that can remember who Joe Nuxall's side kick was before Marty.

Wonder if anyone else can remember?

Al Michaels
IMO it will be no time before they take Pittsburgh's spot with the worst record in the MLB. So tickets should hit around $30 for about 5 rows up, i hate to say it though. Cincinatti used to be one of the best clubs in baseball
The Reds are drawing interest in Gary Sheffield. This could be a good for the Reds, a veteran hitter and could work with the young tanlet in Cincinnati. Dusty Baker says he wants Sheffiled be only a role player but he said the outfield is set. I would love to see Gary with the Reds. He would be good for pitch hitting and backup 1st baseman and outfielder. Yes hes 40 but I still like to see him in Cincy.
MVP2 Wrote:The Reds are drawing interest in Gary Sheffield. This could be a good for the Reds, a veteran hitter and could work with the young tanlet in Cincinnati. Dusty Baker says he wants Sheffiled be only a role player but he said the outfield is set. I would love to see Gary with the Reds. He would be good for pitch hitting and backup 1st baseman and outfielder. Yes hes 40 but I still like to see him in Cincy.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090...20066/1071

SARASOTA, Fla. – Based on what Dusty Baker said Thursday, it would seem like a long shot that the Reds sign Gary Sheffield.

“I don’t know if we’re in the running or not,” Baker said. “He wants playing time.”
The 2009 Cincinnati Reds will once again...

SUCK!!!

lol...sorry guys..:lmao: