Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A letter from Gatewood
The following was taken from the Daily Independent "In You View" section March 4th 2009.

Last week, a monumental event occurred in Washington, D.C., which will forever alter the landscape of Kentucky, politically and economically. President Obama’s administration announced that federal resources will “not be used to circumvent state laws” regarding marijuana.

In essence, the United States government has yielded jurisdiction over marijuana to the individual states. Each state can now adopt whatever laws it wishes regarding marijuana, including its regulation and taxation. Legislation has already been introduced in California to do so.

Kentucky now stands at a crossroads which I predicted 33 years ago. We have the opportunity to finally gain a huge new source of revenue and direct it toward our budget deficits, education, pensions and retirements. Simultaneously, we can stop enriching the criminal black market and finally have a chance of keeping marijuana out of the hands of the kids.

We no longer have to wait for permission to do this. We now have it. The question is, does our legislature have the leadership and intelligence to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to lift Kentucky from unnecessary suffering and poverty.

The governor should call a special session this summer to adopt a tax and regulate plan for marijuana (and hemp as a fuel). I predict that Kentucky would realize at least $400 to $600 million annually in new tax revenues and cut the cost of health care by another $500 million because of its benefits as a natural medicine. (Please visit k4mm.org )

The time is now folks. If Kentucky acts ahead of its sister states, the new revenue could be astounding.

Contact the governor and your legislators today and tell them to become educated on this matter immediately. There is no time to waste. Let us act now.

Gatewood Galbraith, Lexington

Religious people will howl and the majority of the legislature will tuck tail if even one Representative or Senator brings it up. The "holy" often have an unholy alliance with appearances and no-thought reaction.
thecavemaster Wrote:Religious people will howl and the majority of the legislature will tuck tail if even one Representative or Senator brings it up. The "holy" often have an unholy alliance with appearances and no-thought reaction.

lol!!!! About what one would figure.:yawn:
thecavemaster Wrote:Religious people will howl and the majority of the legislature will tuck tail if even one Representative or Senator brings it up. The "holy" often have an unholy alliance with appearances and no-thought reaction.

:zzz:
You guys have nothing to offer.
Stardust Wrote::zzz:

Think, disprove the statement...or, offer up a cartoon. Let's see, Starman and Kimball offer the cartoon. Nice.
While we're at it, we should also begin coca, and poppy cultivation here in the mountains. Think of the tax revenues and we would keep cocaine and heroine out of the hands of children.
lawrencefan Wrote:While we're at it, we should also begin coca, and poppy cultivation here in the mountains. Think of the tax revenues and we would keep cocaine and heroine out of the hands of children.

Are you suggesting that the one (marijuana) is equivalent to the others (cocaine, heroin)?
lawrencefan Wrote:While we're at it, we should also begin coca, and poppy cultivation here in the mountains. Think of the tax revenues and we would keep cocaine and heroine out of the hands of children.
Another ridiculous statement. Par for the course I guess.:yawn:
thecavemaster Wrote:Are you suggesting that the one (marijuana) is equivalent to the others (cocaine, heroin)?

No, but your arguments for marijuana are valid for these drugs as well. If I'm not harming anyone, why shouldn't I be acle to use the recreational drug of my choice?
lawrencefan Wrote:No, but your arguments for marijuana are valid for these drugs as well. If I'm not harming anyone, why shouldn't I be acle to use the recreational drug of my choice?

Why should Xanax be a Schedule II drug, while Tylenol is not? Distinctions in type of drug and potential for harm and abuse are calculated all the time, not simply an assessment of private as opposed to public harm. Also, by your argument, nicotine should be illegal, as it harms both the user and the passive inhaler of the smoke, and the healthcare system, as smokers cost a lot of money to keep alive.
thecavemaster Wrote:Why should Xanax be a Schedule II drug, while Tylenol is not? Distinctions in type of drug and potential for harm and abuse are calculated all the time, not simply an assessment of private as opposed to public harm. Also, by your argument, nicotine should be illegal, as it harms both the user and the passive inhaler of the smoke, and the healthcare system, as smokers cost a lot of money to keep alive.

Of course being an evil conservative, I would ask you if you want your children or co workers to use marijuana? Because that is what you are advocating, someone will use it. Do want to be on the same road with them? Will anyone hire them?
thecavemaster Wrote:Why should Xanax be a Schedule II drug, while Tylenol is not? Distinctions in type of drug and potential for harm and abuse are calculated all the time, not simply an assessment of private as opposed to public harm. Also, by your argument, nicotine should be illegal, as it harms both the user and the passive inhaler of the smoke, and the healthcare system, as smokers cost a lot of money to keep alive.

I do believe nicotine should be illegal. I found nicotine in several energy drinks in other countries. I seen several people say they were addicted to several of these drinks. They didn't know they contained nicotine. Several of them developed high BP as well. A result of the high amounts of caffeine.
I see people murder and assualt people over marijuana quite often. I also see people lose their inhibitions and do things they wouldn't do without the drug. You can say alcohol causes the same problems too. But i do not believe just because one drug with similar negatives is legal that all drugs with the same negatives should be legalized. The facts is that marijuana and alcohol causes alot of problems in society why make one easier to get.
Matman Wrote:I do believe nicotine should be illegal. I found nicotine in several energy drinks in other countries. I seen several people say they were addicted to several of these drinks. They didn't know they contained nicotine. Several of them developed high BP as well. A result of the high amounts of caffeine.
I see people murder and assualt people over marijuana quite often. I also see people lose their inhibitions and do things they wouldn't do without the drug. You can say alcohol causes the same problems too. But i do not believe just because one drug with similar negatives is legal that all drugs with the same negatives should be legalized. The facts is that marijuana and alcohol causes alot of problems in society why make one easier to get.

The fact is that alcohol leads to smashed up people and cars. People who smoke marijuana, when they drive under the influence, often drive about thirty miles an hour. While I'm joking a little, I don't think your "similar negatives" line of thought exactly works out to the facts.
lawrencefan Wrote:Of course being an evil conservative, I would ask you if you want your children or co workers to use marijuana? Because that is what you are advocating, someone will use it. Do want to be on the same road with them? Will anyone hire them?
The problem I have with this is that you assume more people will use.

Make the case for that before you throw it out there as fact.

Secondly, I know 100s of people who use. Some of them are at the top of their fields in their chosen professions.

If you're lazy, you're just lazy. Pot doesn't make active people lazy.

Most of the people who hate pot tried it and were either too weak minded to handle it, or took it way too far like they do everything else in their lives.

There's always 1 guy who said Pot destroyed my life. I suggest he was just a dip-sh!t that had no ability to excercise a little self control.
Matman Wrote:I do believe nicotine should be illegal. I found nicotine in several energy drinks in other countries. I seen several people say they were addicted to several of these drinks. They didn't know they contained nicotine. Several of them developed high BP as well. A result of the high amounts of caffeine.

Once again your equating the behavior of the worst people to all of society in general.

It doesn't work that way Matman.
DevilsWin Wrote:The problem I have with this is that you assume more people will use.

Make the case for that before you throw it out there as fact.

Secondly, I know 100s of people who use. Some of them are at the top of their fields in their chosen professions.

If you're lazy, you're just lazy. Pot doesn't make active people lazy.

Most of the people who hate pot tried it and were either too weak minded to handle it, or took it way too far like they do everything else in their lives.

There's always 1 guy who said Pot destroyed my life. I suggest he was just a dip-sh!t that had no ability to excercise a little self control.

I would have to think that more folks would try it if the penalties for its use were removed.
lawrencefan Wrote:I would have to think that more folks would try it if the penalties for its use were removed.
Currently there is no regulation. The war on Pot has been raging for over 60 years and you saw where that got us.
DevilsWin Wrote:Currently there is no regulation. The war on Pot has been raging for over 60 years and you saw where that got us.

While we're at it, let's end the war on poverty. I surrender!
lawrencefan Wrote:While we're at it, let's end the war on poverty. I surrender!
If the war on poverty had been given as much effort as the war on drugs poverty and drug abuse would both be down.
DevilsWin Wrote:The following was taken from the Daily Independent "In You View" section March 4th 2009.

Last week, a monumental event occurred in Washington, D.C., which will forever alter the landscape of Kentucky, politically and economically. President Obama’s administration announced that federal resources will “not be used to circumvent state laws” regarding marijuana.

In essence, the United States government has yielded jurisdiction over marijuana to the individual states. Each state can now adopt whatever laws it wishes regarding marijuana, including its regulation and taxation. Legislation has already been introduced in California to do so.

Kentucky now stands at a crossroads which I predicted 33 years ago. We have the opportunity to finally gain a huge new source of revenue and direct it toward our budget deficits, education, pensions and retirements. Simultaneously, we can stop enriching the criminal black market and finally have a chance of keeping marijuana out of the hands of the kids.

We no longer have to wait for permission to do this. We now have it. The question is, does our legislature have the leadership and intelligence to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to lift Kentucky from unnecessary suffering and poverty.

The governor should call a special session this summer to adopt a tax and regulate plan for marijuana (and hemp as a fuel). I predict that Kentucky would realize at least $400 to $600 million annually in new tax revenues and cut the cost of health care by another $500 million because of its benefits as a natural medicine. (Please visit k4mm.org )

The time is now folks. If Kentucky acts ahead of its sister states, the new revenue could be astounding.

Contact the governor and your legislators today and tell them to become educated on this matter immediately. There is no time to waste. Let us act now.

Gatewood Galbraith, Lexington

Wouldn't be forever, just until a new administration in Washington reverses that policy.
DevilsWin Wrote:If the war on poverty had been given as much effort as the war on drugs poverty and drug abuse would both be down.

A war on laziness would combat both of those issues.