Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OK Class... today we're going to compare and contrast....
Cheering in a regular gymnasium and cheering in the Expo Center! I hope this enlists a healthy discussion of this upcoming event! I also would like to add this to the "pot" for simmering...:popcorn: While it's nice to allow every team an opportunity to practice and/or shoot around in the Expo, I hope the cheer squads attending understand the "lay out" of the arena and what that will do for their efforts as cheer leaders.
Everything must be BIGGER, BOLDER, LOUDER AND EXTREMELY ORGANIZED AND WELL PLANNED.

It might even require the efforts of the cheer leaders, band, and school spirit groups to HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER to PROJECT the correct types of cheers and spirit needed to make a good showing in such an atmosphere!

Let's compare the cheering in the Expo to cheering in large school gymnasiums and then let's contrast them! :Cheerlead
C'mon people... think about how the Expo is set up... consider where they place the bands. (right behind the goals)
Consider the distance from the crowd where the cheer leaders are placed. It is ALOT different than in even larger high school gyms.
In most gyms, the cheer leaders are splitting the free throw lane extended, but @ the Expo, this is not how it is.
In most high school gymnasiums (even the larger ones) they place all bands in the rafters. Even for regular season games and unless people plan, the cheer leaders are always at a loss whenever the band cranks up a song whenever the cheer leaders were planning a 30 second timeout ditty.

Soooo if the cheer leaders are placed far away from their fan base and right in the drum section of their respective band sections... what can the cheer leaders do to enhance their ability to lead cheers?
Perhaps they can do more stunting and use signage with more creativity and flare! Maybe they could employ the use of megaphones, use their little dance routines with their band section... this could actually be a good thing... getting everyone to work together! Perhaps schools could place some cheer leaders in the crowd with their pep sections to help! The Regional Tournaments are always fun events and the excitement is generally helpful to getting one's crowd involved! Good Luck to everyone and if anyone has suggestions on some neat spirit ideas...please feel free to share!
I always hated cheering at the Expo. As mentioned, you are farther away from your crowd. The area is so big that your voices kind of get lost in the atmosphere so you have to yell extra loud just to be heard. It feels like the court is a lot smaller than it really is. School gyms have that peppy feeling to them. There are school colors and the crowd is more apt to cheer along with you. The band (for the most part) is in a convenient place where they can be heard and are not overbearing. Then again, at the Expo you have more room on the sidelines to stunt and jump.
Hey CCC,
In the Expo, cheering is done on concrete isn't it?
I personally hated the transition to the expo center. I felt like you could not cheer along with your crowd as well, like in a normal gym. There is just so many distractions going on, its hard for anyone to pay attention. I really wish they would switch the regional tournament back to a high school!
Cheering at the EXPO to me would be more like cheering a "college type" game. In a gymnasium, the crowd is closer, the atomsphere is closed in a small area (compared to the expo), and to me it would be harder to lead the crowd in cheers as you are cheering on the end of the court, FAR away from the fanbase, and in a more open type setting. Personally, I like the expo for the games. I like the use of signs to lead the crowd. It also gives a more college like look to the cheerleaders. Has anyone been to a UK home game? Marshall University home game? WVU home game? I love it! I don't like the bands being right behind the floor area. I wish something else could be figured out on where to place them. NOT that I don't think they should be there but I just think basically YOU CAN'T HEAR!!! LOL.....

(This one's for you snake!!)

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I LOVE YOU ! I am sooo glad to see this thread grow! Discussion is ALWAYS a healthy thing!!!
IISnakE Wrote:I LOVE YOU ! I am sooo glad to see this thread grow! Discussion is ALWAYS a healthy thing!!!

I love ya too!! LOL.... AND I do agree with you that discussion is always a GREAT thing!! There are pro's and con's to cheering at the expo as we are ALL used to the gymnasium type style of cheering. I DO love the "open floor" but it does make it so much harder for the girls/guys to get the crowd into the game... UNLESS you have your "pep squad" sitting in the area right beside your cheerleaders..... NOW that would work!!! HAHA...:Cheerlead

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
But will the Expo sell tics like that? If not, they should consider it. They should also consider putting a "play pen" section down there in that one open area so all these people, who bring little kids, can allow them some space because they're all riled up with the bands and cheering... and then having to be held the whole time is just no fun and they CRY..... thus causing everyone to be uptight...LOL