2nd Phelps High School
3rd Berea Community High School

Jazz
1st Berea Community High School
(Only Team)

"Showmanship" Award/"The Dance Team To Rise Above The Rest"
Phelps High School

In Cheer:
Not completely sure about the orders, but I know the Small Varsity Somerset High squad took 1st & grand champions and the sportsmanship award. Also, their Co-Ed Squad took 1st, with Elliott Co. taking 2nd, and Jenkins taking 3rd in that division. Pikeville's younger squads were so cute and won with their Twinkles, and Elementary squad. If there is anymore I'm leaving out, just feel free to post and if i messed up on anything just correct me. I'm running on low!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
donathanhurley Wrote:Great day of competiton.

In Dance:

Hip Hop/Funk
1st Phelps High School
2nd Berea Community High School
3rd Shelby Valley High School

Pom
1st Shelby Valley High School
2nd Phelps High School

Jazz
(Only Team)

Sportsmanship Award/"The Dance Team To Rise Above The Rest"
Phelps High School

In Cheer:
Not completely sure about the orders, but I know the Small Varsity Somerset High squad took 1st & grand champions and the sportsmanship award. Also, their Co-Ed Squad took 1st, with Elliott Co. taking 2nd, and Jenkins taking 3rd in that division. Pikeville's younger squads were so cute and won with their Twinkles, and Elementary squad. If there is anymore I'm leaving out, just feel free to post and if i messed up on anything just correct me. I'm running on low!!

So basically in dance they just let 1 team win each category because I'm guessing there were only 3 teams?
PC_You_Know Wrote:So basically in dance they just let 1 team win each category because I'm guessing there were only 3 teams?

It's just how it all worked out. Phelps had the best Hip Hop, Valley had the best pom, and Berea were in that one by theirself.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
donathanhurley Wrote:Great day of competiton.

In Dance:

Hip Hop/Funk
1st Phelps High School
2nd Berea Community High School
3rd Shelby Valley High School

Pom
1st Shelby Valley High School
2nd Phelps High School

Jazz
(Only Team)

Sportsmanship*Award/"The Dance Team To Rise Above The Rest"
Phelps High School

In Cheer:
Not completely sure about the orders, but I know the Small Varsity Somerset High squad took 1st & grand champions and the sportsmanship* award. Also, their Co-Ed Squad took 1st, with Elliott Co. taking 2nd, and Jenkins taking 3rd in that division. Pikeville's younger squads were so cute and won with their Twinkles, and Elementary squad. If there is anymore I'm leaving out, just feel free to post and if i messed up on anything just correct me. I'm running on low!!

*I made a typo. This was the SHOWMANSHIP award.
Couldn't go edit it so just going to post it here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Edited it for ya and CONGRATS!!!!

VERY proud of all of you all!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
donathanhurley Wrote:*I made a typo. This was the SHOWMANSHIP award.
Couldn't go edit it so just going to post it here.

Showmanship is NOT making obscene gestures to other teams, it's sad when the Staff from the board of education notices. That makes our county look very bad. Showmanship is showing respect. They don't showmanship or good sportsmanship! That's sad...:lmao:
twindancers_2009 Wrote:Showmanship is NOT making obscene gestures to other teams, it's sad when the Staff from the board of education notices. That makes our county look very bad. Showmanship is showing respect. They don't showmanship or good sportsmanship! That's sad...:lmao:

BAAHAHA.
Oh how I love the memories I make in my High School years.
People like you crack me up.
And I know showmanship isn't that...DUH! LOL.
Showmanship is that X factor that you give while dancing, giving the crowd a good, enjoyable, and most of all, memorable show.
Something that OTHER TEAMS obviously didn't do.
And no, people "running" their mouths on other teams is what makes our county look bad.
And no, you're definition on showmanship is totally wrong; I advise you to look it up.

OH BTW, that's not the only thing that the board had noticed!
::dontthink

(Sorry phs1986, but I couldn't hold this post back!)
LOL.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
please enlighten me on what else they noticed (pm me if you want). I just like to know about all the interesting stuff that occurs at these events!
twindancers_2009 Wrote:Showmanship is NOT making obscene gestures to other teams, it's sad when the Staff from the board of education notices. That makes our county look very bad. Showmanship is showing respect. They don't showmanship or good sportsmanship! That's sad...:lmao:

Was the BOE at the battle of the A's? Wow!

IMHO, your post is not showing good sportsmanship OR showmanship.... Phelps Dance is just exactly what it is,...... a great dance team who gets the job done. (Yep, they win national championships with that material that you don't like)..... They are both very entertaining and exciting to watch. We all have our opinions and if you don't like to watch them, then don't! I enjoy watching the dance team and can't wait to see what new materials they come out with every year.... SO.... with that being said, they are full of showmanship as they have proved it over and over and as far as sportsmanship, I do believe their coach would require nothing other than class from the girls.

I agree with phs1986. Phelps Dance Team has the best showmanship of all the dance teams AND cheerleading teams in Eastern KY (and probably further). And everytime I have interacted with them or observed them, they have always been very sportsmanlike. They work too hard to ruin their image by acting out towards another team. I am very proud of these athletes and I know they are always representing their school on and off the floor.
And it's sad you can't even post a thread on here about Phelps Dance Team without people getting on here with their remarks, and it ends up getting closed!

And I agree with you phs1986 & cheer chick!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
Congrats to Phelps and all other squads for all their hard worK!
I'm not sure what material people would take offense to. I guess some older audiences might think some of the hip-hop routines would be questionable, but I don't know anything that people would be offended by. Then again, I haven't had the chance to see each team perform this year.

Another thing to think about is that some of these dance teams probably get choreographers from out of our area to do their routines. And a lot of choreographers do not take that kind of thing into consideration.
In order to compete against dance teams from other areas you have to consider what type of material THEY use as well and try to top it. IMHO, Phelps hip-hop for example has topped any that I have watched thus far this year. Yes, they shake, rattle, and roll it but hey.... like I said earlier... if you don't like it, don't watch!! LOL.... I myself love to watch those girls/guy. It amazes me that they work so hard and have so many different routines and each and everyone of them can be preformed on demand! The time and dedication alone that goes into it for any dance team or cheer squad for that matter tends to get overlooked. I am very proud of the PHS Dance team. I think have very well represented their school as well as the 15th region in anything that they have participated in!!

donathanhurley Wrote:BAAHAHA.
Oh how I love the memories I make in my High School years.
People like you crack me up.
And I know showmanship isn't that...DUH! LOL.
Showmanship is that X factor that you give while dancing, giving the crowd a good, enjoyable, and most of all, memorable show.
Something that OTHER TEAMS obviously didn't do.
And no, people "running" their mouths on other teams is what makes our county look bad.
And no, you're definition on showmanship is totally wrong; I advise you to look it up.

OH BTW, that's not the only thing that the board had noticed!
::dontthink

(Sorry phs1986, but I couldn't hold this post back!)
LOL.

i would love to know what else the board noticed?

oh maybe the fact that the certain hip hop routine shouldn't be allowed to be performed at ballgames that are supposed to be "family entertainment" it sure doesn't look like something i would bring my kids to come and watch!!!!:ChairHit:
ukwildcats87 Wrote:The only problem I have with some dance teams is their material. As we are from this area, some material that is viewed just fine in the dance world is sometimes questionable here. Because of this, I believe more thought needs to be put into the routines that teams perform, especially at school sporting events. Some people are okay with most routines, while others take offense to them. It's just something that teams should always keep in mind while putting together their routines.

good post:Clap:
donathanhurley Wrote:HUMILIATE OURSELVES?
You have GOT to be kiddin' me.

And makes teenagers have a bad name? I don't recall going out on the floor and grinding behind one of our girls. LOL.
Obviously you SV fans doesn't know what HIP HOP is these days.
We have creativity, and we do what has to be done.
You know, when we go to a NATIONAL competiton, we have to compete with the best, and what we do is what the best does. Plain and simple.
And all you SV fans are just jealous that Phelps is better than YOU ALL in something. They can't stand it.

I can agrue day in and out about this, but what's the point? What's done is done.

did you forget that part of your routine just now or something??

a national championship...come on....i know you haven't competed against some of the teams we have in lexington and louisville...they would beat you anyday at any type of dance... obviously your so called "National" competitions is just like the one that you say your state champions at... you compete against 2 or 3 teams and win just so you can say your national champions when everyone know you never will be national champion material..
twindancers_2009 Wrote:did you forget that part of your routine just now or something??

a national championship...come on....i know you haven't competed against some of the teams we have in lexington and louisville...they would beat you anyday at any type of dance... obviously your so called "National" competitions is just like the one that you say your state champions at... you compete against 2 or 3 teams and win just so you can say your national champions when everyone know you never will be national champion material..

How could I forget when it doesn't happen?! LOL.
Uh yeah, we have beaten the best in our years, and my years I have danced. YOU all wouldn't know about a national competiton due to the fact that you guys haven't been to one. We don't go and sweep a national competiton, but we do place, and win. So you don't have any right to go and say we don't have any competiton at a national competiton when we DO, until you go and see for yourself, which you won't since this is your last year as well.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
twindancers_2009 Wrote:if you think what you all do is truly called "dancing" then you are pathetic...

i am ending this conversation...you are definately not worth anymore of my time...

your team is a disgrace to the 15th region!!!!

Alls well when you're champs.
You have your fans and your haters, obviously.

Everyone knows we're no disgrace, so like I say, alls well.
Big Grin

[YOUTUBE="PHS dance team 2007"]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8sO7ft6a2A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F8sO7ft6a2A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Now this isn't a disgrace.
And being inducted to the Pike Co. Hall of fame twice doesn't make us disgraceful at all to the 15th!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-EXPRESS YOURSELF-

Morehead State Eagle!
...do we need a moderator?
Looks like we need several moderators.... This thread has gotten ridiculous! Why can we not have a thread to congratulate teams without it turning into all of this nonsense?! I have seen many teams in this region and all represent this area with style when they travel away from here.... why can't we just be proud to have serious talent in our region instead of turning it into some sort of warped contest? EVERY time I have seen the Phelps team dance, I have been more than impressed, can't say the same for every other team in the region, though I have been impressed with all at one point or another, just not consistently year in and year out!
This thread has throughly ran it's course. Congrats to all who won, placed, and brought home the hardware.....

IF there can be a thread opened for congratulations and NOT to ridicule, feel free to re-open another.