Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who is the Best Player To Come Out of the Mountains?
dortonite Wrote:I played a little ball back in the 50's so it is good to see someone on here
near my age, ha ha. Frank Selvy and King Kelly and Johnny Cox, they really played at a time when we, in Ky, had to lean up to the Radio in order to hear the game. A little off the subject but UK had three all-americans at the time I played, Cliff Hagan, Frank Ramsey, and Lou Tsouplis or something like that, a big forward, Hagan played center. Also a guy from Rio Grand College in Ohio scored I think 116 points in one game(before Wilt at the pro level). Selvy got his 100points also but back to the thread, I VOTE FOR KING KELLY COLEMAN!
Bevo Francis at Rio Grande--That does it, no more ancient trivia for me.Big Grin
We all can say somebody.But we really can't add the young guns that are still in school. Because they haven't come out of the mountains yet. Their still here. And can you add those who never left or can you add those who didn't finish their task???????????????????????????
rojas Wrote:Not in order

Wallace Jones- UK All American, Olympic Gold Medal (Harlan)
Frank Selvy- Furman All American, holds NCAA scoring record, NBA (Corbin)
Jerry Bird- UK basketball, NBA (Corbin)
Kelly Coleman- KHSAA record holder (Wayland)
Johnny Cox- UK All American (Hazard)
Richie Farmer- Sweet 16 legend, UK basketball (Clay County)
Nick Sanford- LMU scoring record holder (Cawood)
JR Vanhoose- Sweet 16 legend, Marshall Univ. (Paintsville)
Todd May- (Virgie)
Bobbie Lee Slusher- May have been the best one of them all (Lone Jack)
Charles Thomas- Mr Basketball (Harlan), Minnesota
Phil Cox- Mr Basketball (Cawood) Vandy
Eddie Trosper- College All American (Harlan)

Bowling doesn't make my short list. If I remember correctly he was ineligible to even play his senior year. Who did Bowling play for in college?

I know Ben went to Oak Hill for a while. Something happened and he got kicked out of there. Then he went to a large school in florida. He went to Tulane and got kicked out there. If he had his head in the right place he could have been special.
Aslan Wrote:I know Ben went to Oak Hill for a while. Something happened and he got kicked out of there. Then he went to a large school in florida. He went to Tulane and got kicked out there. If he had his head in the right place he could have been special.
And all of this, results in him not being considered. You could name 100 guys that "Could" have been great if they had there head screwed on straight.
everybody on the list deserves to be there. one name left out. Ervin STEPP
IRISH4 Wrote:Good list rojas, but I would also add two more Paintsville grads to the list...

John Leslie Pelphrey - Mr. Basketball, one of the Unforgettables, also Sweet 16 Fab 50
Todd Tackett - Derby Classic MVP, signed with UK, also Sweet 16 Fab 50

I totally agree! Well with Pelfrey anyway, he was unreal!!!! Tackett was okay, I mean good high school player, but you know how some kids do in college!
TheBluesBoys Wrote:Todd Tackett missed his calling by not playing baseball? Great player ?? Nope disagree on that one, besides be quit at UK. Not sure where he finished up at, I don't think he played BB. Anyone know?

When Todd left UK he went down south to a smaller college and tried to resume his baseball career. He never could get his arm in shape to play college baseball. After being out of the sport for 3 years I can see how hard it would be to try and get back to where you could contribute on that level. That was the end of Todd's baseball experience. Never tried it again on any level.
" King Kelly Coleman"
rojas Wrote:Not in order

Wallace Jones- UK All American, Olympic Gold Medal (Harlan)
Frank Selvy- Furman All American, holds NCAA scoring record, NBA (Corbin)
Jerry Bird- UK basketball, NBA (Corbin)
Kelly Coleman- KHSAA record holder (Wayland)
Johnny Cox- UK All American (Hazard)
Richie Farmer- Sweet 16 legend, UK basketball (Clay County)
Nick Sanford- LMU scoring record holder (Cawood)
JR Vanhoose- Sweet 16 legend, Marshall Univ. (Paintsville)
Todd May- (Virgie)
Bobbie Lee Slusher- May have been the best one of them all (Lone Jack)
Charles Thomas- Mr Basketball (Harlan), Minnesota
Phil Cox- Mr Basketball (Cawood) Vandy
Eddie Trosper- College All American (Harlan)

Bowling doesn't make my short list. If I remember correctly he was ineligible to even play his senior year. Who did Bowling play for in college?

Great list. I think I would add Jim Rose- Wheelwright 1960's. Played for Rupp transferred to Georgia Southern-All American and played semi pro. And not sure of any names as that was way before my time but I would add the whole Carr Creek team that I think won the state and was invited to a national tourny and finished 2nd or 3rd.
Wyatt may know a little more about Jim Rose that was close to his time back in the day.
I can give you a sophomore that will be fun to watch in the coming years. His name is Cody Parker. He is 6'6" and still growing. He can shoot, jump, run, pass, and has a good head on his shoulders.
Kelly Coleman by far.
Bengal4Life Wrote:Kelly Coleman by far.

When they start an award to give to you and continue to do so to the best player in the state each year I think you might have that spot locked up. He is the reason for the "Mr. Basketball" award.
JCHS05 Wrote:I can give you a sophomore that will be fun to watch in the coming years. His name is Cody Parker. He is 6'6" and still growing. He can shoot, jump, run, pass, and has a good head on his shoulders.

This is a thread about past players, not upcoming players.
PC_You_Know Wrote:This is a thread about past players, not upcoming players.
Where does it say past players only?
Exactly, it doesn't. :blabbermo

My vote...I guess would be Johnnnnnny Coxxxxxxxxxxxxx.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:Where does it say past players only?
Exactly, it doesn't. :blabbermo

My vote...I guess would be Johnnnnnny Coxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

The title reads "To Come Out", that implies they have left the game in the mountains, not upcoming or current players, but thanks for the smart remark.