Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Griffey Jr. to Braves?
Just seen on ESPN where they said Griffey is in negotiations with the Braves.

I would love this move because he puts people in the stands and would add more power to the lineup.
As a huge Braves fan I am upset with the Braves current left field situation that Wren has put them in. After failing on Dunn, Ibanez, Burrell, Nady, and Abreu, I suppose Griffey would be fine. I am torn on him though because I don't know how healthy his knees will be and how long he'll be able to play. Yeah if healthy he may be able to provide some pop, but to protect Chipper I guess I was just hoping for a little more..

GO BRAVES!!!
I had not heard this yet. I'm not so sure this could be the best move for the Braves. I don't think it's going to strengthen the lineup, and Griffey's claims to fame are in the past
I don't see Girffey going anywhere but Seattle. He has made no comments this offseason except for the Mariners. He has made it known, even while in Cincinnati, that he would love to finish his career back in Seattle. The Braves may be posturing, but he does not wind up there.
I would love to see Griffey Jr. in ATL but I agree with SD, I dont see him going there. I think he'll be in seattle where he'll end his career there.
This would help the braves out with power in there line up.
MVP2 Wrote:I would love to see Griffey Jr. in ATL but I agree with SD, I dont see him going there. I think he'll be in seattle where he'll end his career there.

I think he goes to Seattle where he can rest his body every third game and not play the field. If he would have played in a National league park, he would have had to play in the outfield, and his days as an outfielder are over.
Stardust Wrote:I think he goes to Seattle where he can rest his body every third game and not play the field. If he would have played in a National league park, he would have had to play in the outfield, and his days as an outfielder are over.

Griffey is set to sign with the Braves either later today or tomorrow. It's not 100% but he sent word for Wren to call him and Griffey also called Chipper Jones today.

Griffey has expressed a lot of desire to play for the Braves, and considering they also have interest expect him to sign before the next few days.
Stardust Wrote:I think he goes to Seattle where he can rest his body every third game and not play the field. If he would have played in a National league park, he would have had to play in the outfield, and his days as an outfielder are over.

True... I think he'd have been better off playing in the American league where he could be used as a DH & get some rest every few days.
Johnny Ringo Wrote:True... I think he'd have been better off playing in the American league where he could be used as a DH & get some rest every few days.

Turner field is a much better hitting park than Safeco field.

Griffey will get the majority of the playing time, but if/when he needs a day off then he will be platooned with Matt Diaz.
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:Griffey is set to sign with the Braves either later today or tomorrow. It's not 100% but he sent word for Wren to call him and Griffey also called Chipper Jones today.

Griffey has expressed a lot of desire to play for the Braves, and considering they also have interest expect him to sign before the next few days.

Thats great, like I said I would love to see Griffey with the Braves but just didnt think he would go anywhere but Seattle. I hope its true!
MVP2 Wrote:Thats great, like I said I would love to see Griffey with the Braves but just didnt think he would go anywhere but Seattle. I hope its true!

At first it was thought he would end up in Seattle, but the Mariners front office was reluctant to bring him back. Although it would be a storybook ending the Mariners didn't want to go down that road just for him and especially if he wouldn't help the team win, the Mariners are looking to get younger not older.

The Braves on the other hand could use him both on the field, and for attendance. Plus Griffey lives in Orlando and one of his kids plays in an AAU circuit through Atlanta. Griffey has expressed a lot of desire to play for Bobby Cox as well.
This kind of got lost, but Junior has resigned with the Mariners, $2M plus incentives
If they would get some decent pitching like Atlanta use to have, then they will be right back where they use to be. They also need some power hitters.
I think that Griffey will really help the Braves.
Well Griffey Jr. ended up signing with the Mariners.