Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elliott Co. 86 - Mason Co. 71
Evan Faulkner puts up 33. Great game to watch on live TV. Mason County has improved alot since I saw them early in the season.
Evan Faulkner 33 pts.
Congrats EC
WOW! I expected my boys to win, but not by that margin. My question is, after Mason played Scott Co. to single digits at Scott a few weeks ago...........It's gonna be a very exciting Sweet Sixteen! Glad I already have my tics!
Solid win for Elliot County. Not surprised they won, but 15 is a good statement win for EC.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I watched it on tv tonight and as good as EC played, Mason played horrible in the 2nd half of the game...They acted scared and didn't get off a lot of good shots.

The game was actually officiated pretty well for the most part, just a few bad calls here and there.
Congrats EC.
Congrats EC!
Afternoon_Delight Wrote:I watched it on tv tonight and as good as EC played, Mason played horrible in the 2nd half of the game...They acted scared and didn't get off a lot of good shots.

The game was actually officiated pretty well for the most part, just a few bad calls here and there.

Of course Mason's second half had nothing to do with Elliott... How would you rate the first half?? Elliott didn't play very well, and were tied at half time after digging a 0-8 hole. As for the officiating........ At least as good, if not better than any HS game one would attend in KY. Bad calls were made both ways .
Congrats to Elliott and great game Evan.
letthebighogroot Wrote:Of course Mason's second half had nothing to do with Elliott... How would you rate the first half?? Elliott didn't play very well, and were tied at half time after digging a 0-8 hole. As for the officiating........ At least as good, if not better than any HS game one would attend in KY. Bad calls were made both ways .

I think Mason played a good first half but towards the end of the half they let Elliott gain all the momentum and that's where it went bad.

Elliott played really good and played good defense to shut Mason down in the 2nd half.

And I've seen a ton better officiated games than what I seen tonight, but as I said before, it was a good called game. I was surprised.
Watched this on TV, great game for Elliot Co. Best of luck this weekend.
Solid win for EC. Wondering if anybody has any stats on this one didn't get to watch it?
Hopefully, Elliott will be able to do this in state as well because I think they're gonna be the state champs this year and the only team that can stop them is of course Scott Co.
guyfawkes Wrote:Hopefully, Elliott will be able to do this in state as well because I think they're gonna be the state champs this year and the only team that can stop them is of course Scott Co.

:eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
letthebighogroot Wrote:WOW! I expected my boys to win, but not by that margin. My question is, after Mason played Scott Co. to single digits at Scott a few weeks ago...........It's gonna be a very exciting Sweet Sixteen! Glad I already have my tics!

I had the same questions, EC showed how tough they will be in March,

against a good Mason Cty team. Happy you have your tickets, enjoy!!!
guyfawkes Wrote:Hopefully, Elliott will be able to do this in state as well because I think they're gonna be the state champs this year and the only team that can stop them is of course Scott Co.

Well of course, I mean it's not like Shelby Valley hasn't beat them already this year. Rolleyes
Big victory for the Lions... congrats!
I'm a big Mason County fan and wasn't shocked by the final score. This game was originally going to be the final home game for the Elliott kids. They have since added two other home games.

The two losses last year fresh in their mind, a chance to make a statement at home against a Top 10 in the state. There has never been a question as to Elliott being a good team, it's been a question of "how" good are they, this is a nice win, but they, along with everyone else in the bottom half, got a brutal draw in March.

Mason County is an enigma, going into this game, every loss has come down to the final possession, the final minute of the Scott County game. They can beat anyone, they can lose to anyone. While Elliott is darn near a lock to represent the 16th, I wouldn't be shocked to see Mason County make a run in March, nor would I be shocked if they didnt' even make it to Rupp.
Congrats Lions!

Be real, EC has a good team but there is definitely more than one team that can stop them. I can think of one that already has. IMO I think that lack of depth will hurt them alot in the long run especially against teams that are physical and can run alot of different players at them.
justabballfan Wrote:Be real, EC has a good team but there is definitely more than one team that can stop them. I can think of one that already has. IMO I think that lack of depth will hurt them alot in the long run. Confusedhh:

People thought the same about Paintsville last year as well, but they ended up losing to Holmes in a very intense game.
Impressive win for Elliott. Like others have said, I expected them to win, but not by this margin. Sounds like the Elliott train is back firing on all cylinders.

Congrats Lions!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
BlackcatAlum Wrote:People thought the same about Paintsville last year as well, but they ended up losing to Holmes in a very intense game.

That may be true but more often than not a team like EC which uses its bench as little as they due will finally run out of gas if they have to play a couple of tight, physical games with out much of a break in between. With that being said, if they make it to RUPP I just don't see them or any other team in the bottom bracket having any games where there going to get to rest their top players and I think EC's lack of depth will definitely hurt them. Sad
justabballfan Wrote:That may be true but more often than not a team like EC which uses its bench as little as they due will finally run out of gas if they have to play a couple of tight, physical games with out much of a break in between. With that being said, if they make it to RUPP I just don't see them or any other team in the bottom bracket having any games where there going to get to rest their top players and I think EC's lack of depth will definitely hurt them. Sad

EC played 2 easy games before playing Valley in the all A and looked like they ran out of gas at the beginning of that game. Those 2 games weren't physical or tight.
what time /channel was this game on please?
By BRAD LAUX, For The Ledger Independent
http://maysville-online.com/articles/200...royals.txt

SANDY HOOK - Tuesday's Mason County-Elliott County game lived up to its billing as a heavyweight prize fight between two of the state's top boys' basketball teams.

It even had a Pay-Per-View twist.

The game was broadcast live on Huntington-Charleston, W.Va., television station WSAZ's digital channel.

Mason County answered the bell first, building an 8-0 lead as the Royals dominated the boards. Elliott County tried to answer, but with every body blow it delivered the Royals countered with a head shot that stunned the Lions.

However, the Royals were unable to deliver the knockout punch. After staggering through the first quarter and weathering Mason County's best shots, Elliott County finally found its shooting touch and eventually won, 85-71.

Elliott County fought its way out of the corner to claw back within two points after a three-point play by Ethan Faulkner with 24 seconds left in the opening period.

The two teams traded baskets early in the second quarter, but a pair of back-to-back 3-pointers by Treg Setty and Ryan Hamm pushed the Mason County lead to nine (25-16).

The Royals held an eight-point advantage with 2:42 to play in the second quarter, but the visitors' hold on the lead started to slip away as Elliott County started to find its range.

Behind a pair of Evan Faulkner 3-pointers, the Lions reeled off 10 straight points. The run culminated when reserve forward Jacob Ison put back an offensive rebound with 1:14 to play, giving the hosts a 36-34 lead.

“I thought we had an opportunity to go into halftime with an eight to 10-point lead,” Mason County coach Chris O'Hearn said. “But we got caught up in the game. We took some quick shots and they hit some big threes.”

Setty made a pair of free throws right before halftime to send the teams into the locker rooms with a 36-36 tie.

Elliott County continued its surge at the start of the second half. Ethan Faulkner converted a pair of layups in the first minute and a half and the Lions gradually built on the lead from there.

Elliott County pulled ahead by as many as 11 in the third period.

The Royals closed within six points (58-52) on a Russ Middleton layup with 1:28 to play in the quarter. But after stopping the Lions, the senior point guard was whistled for a charge on Mason County's next possession and the visitors never mounted another serious run.

Middleton cut the margin back down to nine points (73-64) on a layup with 2:47 to play, but Timmy Knipp converted an offensive rebound into two points and then added a 3-pointer from the corner to squelch the Royals' last gasp.

Elliott County connected on 74 percent of its shots in the second half and finished the game hitting 57 percent from the field.

Evan Faulkner, who signed to play at Division I Radford University, led all scorers with 26 points. Jonathan Ferguson chipped in 22 and Ethan Faulkner added 15.

Middleton paced Mason County with 20 points. Setty added 18 points and eight rebounds.

Mason County 17 19 16 19 -- 71

Elliott County 13 23 24 26 -- 86

MC: Middleton 8 4-5 20, Setty 6 4-5 18, Gilbert 5 0-0 11, Pawsat 4 0-0 9, Barner 2 0-0 4, Downing 1 1-2 3, Hamm 2 0-0 6, J. Lang 0 0-0 0, B. Lang 0 0-0 0. Totals 28 9-12 71.

EC: Ev. Faulkner 11 0-1 26. Ev. Faulkner 5 5-7 15, Ferguson 7 7-8 22, T. Knipp 5 2-2 12, C. Knipp 3 0-1 6, Ison 1 2-2 4, Flanery 0 0-0 0, Morgan 0 0-0 0. Totals 32 16-21 86.

3-pointers: MC 6 (Hamm 2, Setty 2, Pawsat, Gilbert). EC 6 (Ev. Faulkner 4, Ferguson, T. Knipp). Records: Elliott County 22-2. Mason County 15-6.
justabballfan Wrote:Be real, EC has a good team but there is definitely more than one team that can stop them. I can think of one that already has. IMO I think that lack of depth will hurt them alot in the long run especially against teams that are physical and can run alot of different players at them.

There are probably several teams that could stop EC, but I thought EC used their bench wisely against Mason last night. Either way, EC will probably make a respectable run this year.

And for that "special person" on BGR :"Nice to see that you had the confidence to reply AFTER the win". My last post was to state" there are no undefeated teams left in Ky." My first post:" Elliott wins this one with no problem" and "they have two boys to answer for those two". All three statements were pretty close !Big Grin
The game was on WSAZ out of Huntington... Great win by Elliot. Whether they win or lose at state it has been an exciting year.
bluebloodedcatfan Wrote:what time /channel was this game on please?
Not sure what time, but it was on channel 99 on time warner.