Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is cheerleading considered a sport @ your school?
mrsportsfan Wrote:If you have ever watched these girls practice for a competition, you will realize it's not just what they do on the sidelines at the games. Pikeville has won Nationals before and ESPN covers it. It is called the world wide leader of sports. Why would they cover it, if they didn't think it's a sport? They have to put together a routine similar to what the UK cheerleaders do, just not to that extreme, because they don't have the guys for the strength routines. The junior high girls have won Nationals also. So yes, it is a sport, I'd rather play basketball, than be thrown sky high in the air and trust someone is going to catch my sorry butt.

You are 100% correct! Although Pikeville does not have male cheerleaders, many squads do in which they are referred to as co-ed squads. The talent amount on some of these squads is utterly amazing!

There are stunts that the squad that I was on and used to do are now illegal. Spotters were used BUT not required. We would go 3 high in pyramids, throw toe pitches, roll-outs from a 3 high, all of which are now not allowed. Many things have changed over the years with cheerleading. Some will NEVER agree that it is a sport but who can honestly judge until they have went to a good 6 hour practice, learned many, many routines, cheers and sidelines, prepared for a national or for that matter district/regional competition, went home with bruises from either holding or climbing non-stop for 2 hours and only to have all that start over again when you find a flaw or something "just isn't right" with the routine? These young ladies and young men (when applicable) work their tails off! My advice to all cheerleaders who is reading this thread.....keep up the hard work, continue what your doing and do it with a vengence just to show the non-believers that cheerleaders are every bit a part of "sports" as basketball, baseball, soccer, or any other that is sanctioned under KHSAA regulations!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Messages In This Thread
Is cheerleading considered a sport @ your school? - by phs1986 - 08-04-2009, 02:38 PM