Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is cheerleading considered a sport @ your school?
phs1986 Wrote:I completely understand what you are saying BUT there is much more to cheerleading than learning a "sideline" cheer. You have team stunts, partner stunts, gymnastics and tumbling, floor cheers, line dances which go with music the band plays, competitions, camps, games (both basketball and football), and still there is more! Cheerleading is looked at by many as the "pretty" thing for girls to do when they can't play basketball, softball, or volleyball. I know several girls who play all 3 AND cheer. Scholarships can be obtained thru cheerleading and good grades. By participation in cheerleading there are many young men and women who have obtained a wonderful college education. As to the KHSAA looking at it as a sport, IMHO they need to visit the KAPOS website and take a look at just how many teams within the state DO participate in competition. You have the district and regional levels WHICH the winner advances to the state. There are also national competitions in which teams from around the U.S. compete against each other. So, my point being, do I think cheerleading should be considered a sport... YES! Do I think KHSAA will consider it a sport in the near future.... It would really suprise me. Those young men and women work very hard to obtain the amount of success that they do and granted, not all teams put as much into cheerleading as others do. This comes in with the previous post about the amount of support you get from the administration and community. I'm all for cheerleading being considered a sport and feel that it should have been done so a LONG time ago!!!

www.kapos.org
Lists of schools who participate in competitons

Very will stated. There are very few people who have a clue just how hard these ATHLETES really work. KUDOS!
Messages In This Thread
Is cheerleading considered a sport @ your school? - by Bubbles - 07-24-2009, 04:00 PM