Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 Boys' 8th Grade State Tournament
Boys 8th Grade State Tournament
Feb 20-22, 2009
KBA

What teams are planning on playing in this tournament?
Who would you consider the early favorites?

AB Combs, Hazard, RW Combs & SMS where in the 14th Region Middle School Final Four with SMS defeating Hazard in the Championship game. If these teams play how do you think each would match up with the best teams in the state or do you think one can win it?
sms won 14 region tourament, very good team, could be the best in eastern or central ky, they have beat up on everyone in this area, won every tourament at the spotsplex they have entered, also won bci middle school state in northern ky.
Here's the teams I have been told so far that are playing in the tournament.

A.B. Combs
Eversole
SMS
South Laurel
south laurel is loaded,won the 13th region tourney over clay co. they have 10very good players,most teams only have 4 or 5.
South has a great chance to go deep into tournament. They have played very consistently all year.
South Laurel is a very well coached team with a lot of talented players...South Laurel beat SMS in pool play at the plex but SMS beat them in the tournament...I would like for SMS to win it all
It looks like the Mountains will be well represented. This is great news for our area. Basketball is alive and well in the Mountains.
Wesley Christian and Betsy Layne will be playing from Floyd County.
mtguru Wrote:It looks like the Mountains will be well represented. This is great news for our area. Basketball is alive and well in the Mountains.

When was it not...
I've seen alot the eastern teams and would have to say South Laurel has all the pieces to win it all, they have a very talented point guard and also very talented underneath. They can go 5 deep on there bench with very little change. I think many teams will have problems with there depth and talent. I,m looking forward to a great tournament. I wish all the teams good luck in the tournament.
Who is SMS?
kysports Wrote:Who is SMS?

Sebastian Middle School. I think.
I was curious...how is it determined who plays in the middle school state tournament? Do regional champions get automatic bids or is it simply invite only?
StrikeoutKing Wrote:I was curious...how is it determined who plays in the middle school state tournament? Do regional champions get automatic bids or is it simply invite only?
I'm pretty sure all of these Middle School State Tourneys are open to any and every school fielding a team. I know the 7th grade tourney this weekend had 54 schools.
Maybe Mr. Slate, canoeman or some of the other coaches could say for sure if that's how it is.
Ring'Em Up Wrote:I'm pretty sure all of these Middle School State Tourneys are open to any and every school fielding a team. I know the 7th grade tourney this weekend had 54 schools.
Maybe Mr. Slate, canoeman or some of the other coaches could say for sure if that's how it is.

It has nothing to do with winning any tournament beforehand. If your team is interested, the deadline hasn't passed, and there are spots left, you can enter. It is a great tournament.
The deadline for the tournament was Feb. 4, according to the KBA website.
i am form grayson county kentucky and i am trying to find out all teams registered for the 8th grade middle school tournament. any help is appreciated. this will be our first ever trip to middle school state. thankyou.
Who are the team that are to compete? Will any from L'ville, Norther Ky and Western Ky play?
To all concerned, I have learned of a few teams that are POSITIVELY playing in THE tournament. They are Wolfe Co., Scott Co., Clay Co., South Laurel, and Grayson Co. Please, spread the word. If you KNOW of any other teams that are POSITIVELY playing please post them. Thank you.
I have the goods. Here is friday's pool play games:
coutr 1
4:30 g1 - tates creek - anderson co.
5;30 g36 - lca - fca
6:30 g11 - georgetown - jones
7:30 g16 - knox co - benton
8:30 g21 - alton - magoffin co
9:30 g26 clinton co. - pineville
court 2
4:30 g2 - hayes - madison
5:30 g7 - morton - lincoln co.
6:30 g12 - leestown - corbin
7:30 g17 - sebastion - dorton
8:30 g22 - hokinsville - r. w. combs
9:30 g27 - bryans station - wesley
court3
4:30 g3 - lts - estill co.
5:30 g8 - harrison co. - meece
6:30 g13 - elkhorn - grayson co.
7:30 g18 - henderson south - middlesboro
8:30 g23 - russell co. - mccreary
9:30 g28 - hopkins central 0- johnson co.
court4
4:30 g4 - northern - bath co.
5:30 g9 - wayne co. - east jessamine
6:30 g32 - soutern - mason co.
7:30 g19 - farnsley - foley
8:30 g24 - eversole - whitley co.
9:30 g14 - betsy lane - bowling green
court5
4:30 g5 - beaumont - mcnabb
5:30 g10 - winburn - paris
6:30 g31 - twenhofel - grant co.
7:30 g20 - royal spring - a. b. combs
8:30 g25 - mayfield - bell co.
9:30 g30 - rosspoint - trigg co.

bracket play will begin saturday after pool play results are put in brackets. ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pools and brackets are posted on playkba.com. There are two links. One for the pool and one for the bracket. After you click on bracket you must click Schedule to get the brackets.
AB Combs, Eversole, RW Combs, SMS, and South Laurel are all scheduled to make the trip from Eastern Kentucky. South Laurel has won several tournaments at the Sportsplex and will be a tough team to knock out of the tournament. SMS won the 14th Region Middle School Tournament and is one of my favorites to win the state tournament, Eversole (Hazard) was the Runners-Up. AB Combs won the Perry County Grade School Tournament and RW Combs was the Runners-Up. I think these 5 teams will have a good showing at the state tournament and like I said, they are all scheduled to make the trip as of right now and all of them are capable of going very deep into the tournament. I think SMS and South Laurel have a shot at winning it, however there will be several good team in the tournament and a few great teams that I haven't had the previledge watching so I wish all the teams the best of luck and have a great 3 days of basketball. Good luck to all teams.
I don't know a lot about these teams. We have seen only 4 of them. I would be interested in opinions on pool play winners and losers. I look forward to your picks.
you have the easiest bracket in the tournament if you win your pool game. Knox is the only team in your bracket that should challenge you. There are some great teams but you won't see them for a while.
If anyone knows of any teams that are scheduled to play but have decided not to go, please let me know. We were invited in Jan and agreed to play, but after faxing the roster in Jan,I was informed they never got one and so we had to be put on a waiting list. Please let me know if anyone has dropped out or may drop out.

Thanks
CM
who does everyone feel like has the best chance to win the 8th grade state tournament
Scott Co.
Christian Co.
Lincoln Co.
Mayfield
Grayson Co.
There's a team out of Harlan County, Rosspoint, that will surprise a lot of people in this tournament. Here's wishing them the best of luck! :Thumbs:
Is belfry in this and if they are then how far can they go?
What about Russell County they went all the way the final four last year in the 7th grade