Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Blaming Bush for New Orleans
This isn't racist, but it's about blaming someone for your own mistakes and holding people accountable.

I'm confused about the inauguration and about how everyone blamed Bush for so many people not getting out of New Orleans for the hurricane..................................

How could 2 million African-Americans get into Washington DC in sub zero temps in 1 day when 200,000 African-Americans couldn't get out of New Orleans at 85 degrees with four days notice????????????????????????????????????????????
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:This isn't racist, but it's about blaming someone for your own mistakes and holding people accountable.

I'm confused about the inauguration and about how everyone blamed Bush for so many people not getting out of New Orleans for the hurricane..................................

How could 2 million African-Americans get into Washington DC in sub zero temps in 1 day when 200,000 African-Americans couldn't get out of New Orleans at 85 degrees with four days notice????????????????????????????????????????????

George Bush II did not cause Katrina. Barbara Bush suggested that those sheltered in the Superdome were experiencing nicer accomodations than they were used to. Blue blood struggles to understand the lives and times of poor blood. I don't blame Bush. The response of the administration was tardy. The response of FEMA was muddled at best. These are the facts, and, generally, among objective observers, they are not disputed.
I found it interesting on how the Mayor of New Orleans took it upon himself to cast such ill-will to the administration, but he, the keep of the people did a horrible job of getting everyone out and having emergency needs on hand. Katrina was maybe the most planned for natural disaster in history. Though no one truly could comprehend the overall damage, everyone knew about this for over a week.
"George Bush doesn't care about black people."-Kanye West
There is no disputing the fact that the response was slow and ineffective. There was no way to get everyone out, no doubt, but the Bush admin dropped the ball.
Gossimer Wump Wrote:There is no disputing the fact that the response was slow and ineffective. There was no way to get everyone out, no doubt, but the Bush admin dropped the ball.

A lot of people did, not just the Bush Admin:igiveup:
Stardust Wrote:A lot of people did, not just the Bush Admin:igiveup:

Hey, thats true, but none of those people have the responsibility that the President does. They KNEW how bad it was and dropped the ball. There is no excuse.
Gossimer Wump Wrote:Hey, thats true, but none of those people have the responsibility that the President does. They KNEW how bad it was and dropped the ball. There is no excuse.
They knew how bad it was going to be but they don't have the responsibility to try to leave and save their own life? I guess everyone should just wait on the government to do everything for them.....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:They knew how bad it was going to be but they don't have the responsibility to try to leave and save their own life? I guess everyone should just wait on the government to do everything for them.....

I, for one, am not trying to absolve them. However, when everything you've ever worked for or identified yourself by or taken security in is threatened, and you know you don't have sufficient insurance, etc. it's hard to leave it behind... a little something in the human spirit that says, against all odds, maybe I can save it. It doesn't take a lot of emotional IQ to know something like that...but it takes some.
thecavemaster Wrote:I, for one, am not trying to absolve them. However, when everything you've ever worked for or identified yourself by or taken security in is threatened, and you know you don't have sufficient insurance, etc. it's hard to leave it behind... a little something in the human spirit that says, against all odds, maybe I can save it. It doesn't take a lot of emotional IQ to know something like that...but it takes some.

Maybe thats what my problem is, not enough emotional IQ. I am not identified by the things i own. Thats when the things you own start to own you.
Matman Wrote:Maybe thats what my problem is, not enough emotional IQ. I am not identified by the things i own. Thats when the things you own start to own you.

Yes, this is the correct interpretation: the folks on the Ninth Ward were owned by their possessions, possessed of a worldly spirit, a covetous heart, waiting with baited breath for someone like you to enlighten them. Stick in your thumb, pull out a plumb and say, "What a good boy am I."
I believe in taking care of our own. Unfortunately the response was ever so slow in repairing these peoples lives. Bush in his own farewell speech acknowledged that he regretted not responding like they should have. Thank goodness for all the goodwill from the other states that provided assistance. There is lots of blame to go around, it starts at the top "bush"
BFritz Wrote:This isn't racist, but it's about blaming someone for your own mistakes and holding people accountable.

This statement is absolutely racist.Cool
DevilsWin Wrote:This statement is absolutely racist.Cool

:thumpsup:
Beef Wrote:They knew how bad it was going to be but they don't have the responsibility to try to leave and save their own life? I guess everyone should just wait on the government to do everything for them.....

Thank God someone said this. Because it brings up a great quote from a great man. "And so my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country." -JFK.
There was a lot of blame to go around on this one. At the time I had a job monitoring TV shows. Months before Katrina hit I had to watch a CNN special which gave the worst case scenario of a major hurricane hitting New Orleans(and this show was a repeat from about a year earlier). The special did a good job of predicting what would happen. Yet the local authorities were not prepared for this. FEMA's response was inadequate as well. And Bush probably regrets that congratulatory statement to Brownie.
One last thing: we all know how people are, they hate to leave their homes. Some people have hurricane parties when they hit. And I bet most of us know people who didn't leave their homes last week when the power went off in many parts of the state & the temperatures were cold. People just don't expect that the worst will happen to them.
thecavemaster Wrote:I, for one, am not trying to absolve them. However, when everything you've ever worked for or identified yourself by or taken security in is threatened, and you know you don't have sufficient insurance, etc. it's hard to leave it behind... a little something in the human spirit that says, against all odds, maybe I can save it. It doesn't take a lot of emotional IQ to know something like that...but it takes some.

And it takes an IQ of 1 to know it's not the government's fault if something bad happens to you when you are warned in plenty of time to leave and don't.
jetpilot Wrote:And it takes an IQ of 1 to know it's not the government's fault if something bad happens to you when you are warned in plenty of time to leave and don't.

Hurricane Katrina was not the government's fault. The City of New Orleans did not have adequate transportation plan for the evacuation of those without cars. The FEMA response was inept. The Bush II administration dropped the ball at first, then recovered. The FEMA response is still muddled. I don't agree with your assessment/view of human nature. I think it lacks substantial depth.
DevilsWin Wrote:This statement is absolutely racist.Cool

How's it racist and how am I a bigot? I would think that you're joking, but then I don't see why you would also PM me.

Like I said, people would use racism as an excuse not to give a logical answer.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Magicjefferson25 Wrote:"George Bush doesn't care about black people."-Kanye West
1:38 of the youtube video (it won't let me post it)
It perpetuates a stereotype.
DevilsWin Wrote:It perpetuates a stereotype.
And what stereotype would that be?

It's about a selective group of people blaming George Bush and not taking responsibiltiy for their own actions, and if you watch the youtube with Mike Myers and Kanye, Mike Myers is blaming Bush, too, just not to the extreme that Kanye is, so I guess I'm racist against Mike Myers? Is he just a very light-skinned African-American?

It would be a stereotype if I said "all black people don't take responsibility for their actions."
BFritz Wrote:And what stereotype would that be?

It's about a selective group of people blaming George Bush and not taking responsibiltiy for their own actions, and if you watch the youtube with Mike Myers and Kanye, Mike Myers is blaming Bush, too, just not to the extreme that Kanye is, so I guess I'm racist against Mike Myers? Is he just a very light-skinned African-American?

It would be a stereotype if I said "all black people don't take responsibility for their actions."
In the opening post you make no mention of the "White" people left behind in New Orleans nor to you make any mention of the "White" people who attended the Inauguration.

You did however make it a point to mention the "African-Americans" who were victims in New Orleans and who were inspired to attend the Inauguration.

Sad part about it Bfritz is that you, just like many friends of mine, don't realize the consequenses of your actions.

I bet you even tell racist Obama jokes and forward racist Obama emails to all your race hater friends.Cool
thecavemaster Wrote:Hurricane Katrina was not the government's fault. The City of New Orleans did not have adequate transportation plan for the evacuation of those without cars. The FEMA response was inept. The Bush II administration dropped the ball at first, then recovered. The FEMA response is still muddled. I don't agree with your assessment/view of human nature. I think it lacks substantial depth.

What veiw/assessment of human nature? I didn't state one.:confused:
DevilsWin Wrote:In the opening post you make no mention of the "White" people left behind in New Orleans nor to you make any mention of the "White" people who attended the Inauguration.

You did however make it a point to mention the "African-Americans" who were victims in New Orleans and who were inspired to attend the Inauguration.

Sad part about it Bfritz is that you, just like many friends of mine, don't realize the consequenses of your actions.

I bet you even tell racist Obama jokes and forward racist Obama emails to all your race hater friends.Cool

No offense, but never say that I don't understand the consequences of my actions, both physical actions and verbal actions.

First off, you have no right to make a statement like that last one, none whatsoever.

Second, did you hear Kanye talking about all the white people who didn't get out of New Orleans? In fact, you rarely hear about that. How often did you hear "George Bush hates white people"? 48% of the people killed by the hurricane were black, that's a large percentage considering that they were a minority in the city but still made up more of the people who weren't evacuated.
BFritz Wrote:No offense, but never say that I don't understand the consequences of my actions, both physical actions and verbal actions.

First off, you have no right to make a statement like that last one, none whatsoever.

Second, did you hear Kanye talking about all the white people who didn't get out of New Orleans? In fact, you rarely hear about that. How often did you hear "George Bush hates white people"? 48% of the people killed by the hurricane were black, that's a large percentage considering that they were a minority in the city but still made up more of the people who weren't evacuated.
After the statements you have made I feel that I have every right to make the statements I have made.

Why would anyone even start a thread like this anyway?

What is the point here?

I think you have an axe to grind and the stone just happens to be the African- American race.

I mean its like beating a dead horse.

No one except you really seems to care what Kanye West says or thinks about an ex- president.
DevilsWin Wrote:After the statements you have made I feel that I have every right to make the statements I have made.

Why would anyone even start a thread like this anyway?

What is the point here?

I think you have an axe to grind and the stone just happens to be the African- American race.

I mean its like beating a dead horse.

No one except you really seems to care what Kanye West says or thinks about an ex- president.

Not taking responsibility for my actions- that's what you said. What do you know about what actions I have done and taken responsibility for besides for saying a few things online? How much do you know about my life?

I started the thread to show that people don't take responsibility for their actions in New Orleans and simply place the blame on Bush when they could have easily gotten out.

Why would anyone have started the threads blaming Bush? I want people to hold themselves accountable and for everyone to stop putting the blame on the easiest candidate.

I think it's the other way around- people have an axe to grind and need someone to blame and the easiest stone just happens to be the President or other relief groups.

Beating a dead horse? The inauguration just happened, and it was comparing circumstances from both.

I don't care about what Kanye West says, but he was the most open example that I could think of.
BFritz Wrote:Not taking responsibility for my actions- that's what you said. What do you know about what actions I have done and taken responsibility for besides for saying a few things online? How much do you know about my life?

I started the thread to show that people don't take responsibility for their actions in New Orleans and simply place the blame on Bush when they could have easily gotten out.

Why would anyone have started the threads blaming Bush? I want people to hold themselves accountable and for everyone to stop putting the blame on the easiest candidate.

I think it's the other way around- people have an axe to grind and need someone to blame and the easiest stone just happens to be the President or other relief groups.

Beating a dead horse? The inauguration just happened, and it was comparing circumstances from both.

I don't care about what Kanye West says, but he was the most open example that I could think of.
Let me make it easy for you to understand.

STUPID COMPARISON!
IMO the Bush administration could have done more and done it sooner
DevilsWin Wrote:Let me make it easy for you to understand.

STUPID COMPARISON!
Stupid comparison why? Because they're two unrelated things? It's showing that people who want to do something can do it, as opposed to people not taking responsibility for not doing something when they were given a four days notice.

I understand not wanting to leave their homes, but when they say it's coming and they warn of it, it's people's jobs to say "oh, maybe we should leave."
The Sniper Wrote:IMO the Bush administration could have done more and done it sooner
Nobody's disputing that, but everyone else could have done more, also.