Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Court rules cheerleading is contact sport!
MADISON, Wis. -- High school cheerleading is a contact sport and therefore its participants cannot be sued for accidentally causing injuries, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Tuesday in a case being closely watched in the cheerleading world.

The court ruled that a former high school cheerleader cannot sue a teammate who failed to stop her fall while she was practicing a stunt.

Click here for the rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/ris...id=3864291

What is the world coming to?
Jshort5 Wrote:MADISON, Wis. -- High school cheerleading is a contact sport and therefore its participants cannot be sued for accidentally causing injuries, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled Tuesday in a case being closely watched in the cheerleading world.

The court ruled that a former high school cheerleader cannot sue a teammate who failed to stop her fall while she was practicing a stunt.

Click here for the rest of the story: http://sports.espn.go.com/highschool/ris...id=3864291

What is the world coming to?

What the world is coming to sweetie is FINALLY realizing that cheerleading is a full sport. I have had back strains, back sprains, busted nose, black eyes, busted lip, loose teeth, deep bone bruises, shin splints, ankle sprains, and the lasting effects are very bad knees and a not so hot back!! LOL.... Cheerleading is HARD work. I know that the situtation listed in the article is concerning a girl who was climbing and was dropped. Back when I cheered, having spot wasn't mandatory. Basically, if the base (that is the person who is doing the holding) didn't catch you, you fell... PERIOD! In about every mount or extension type of climb we did, I was the base. I have went down many times on the bottom under everyone to keep from my climber from getting hurt. LOLOL.... Believe me, they used to stand in line to have me as base cause they knew I wouldn't let them get hurt if I could help it. Cheerleading now is-NOT what it used to be back in the day. We used mini-tramps to tumble off of during games, threw toe-pitches, went 2 and 1/2 to 3 high without a spot in mounting during cheers ....... A LOT of precautions are taken now that were not in effect in years past.

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:What the world is coming to sweetie is FINALLY realizing that cheerleading is a full sport. I have had back strains, back sprains, busted nose, black eyes, busted lip, loose teeth, deep bone bruises, shin splints, ankle sprains, and the lasting effects are very bad knees and a not so hot back!! LOL.... Cheerleading is HARD work. I know that the situtation listed in the article is concerning a girl who was climbing and was dropped. Back when I cheered, having spot wasn't mandatory. Basically, if the base (that is the person who is doing the holding) didn't catch you, you fell... PERIOD! In about every mount or extension type of climb we did, I was the base. I have went down many times on the bottom under everyone to keep from my climber from getting hurt. LOLOL.... Believe me, they used to stand in line to have me as base cause they knew I wouldn't let them get hurt if I could help it. Cheerleading now is-NOT what it used to be back in the day. We used mini-tramps to tumble off of during games, threw toe-pitches, went 2 and 1/2 to 3 high without a spot in mounting during cheers ....... A LOT of precautions are taken now that were not in effect in years past.

Be careful what you wish for.

If it is recognized as a full sport with the KHSAA a lot of changes will occur and I would say cheerleading sponsors will not like it.

Like limitations on practice and "season" and the end of all the competitions other than region.
phs1986 Wrote:What the world is coming to sweetie is FINALLY realizing that cheerleading is a full sport. I have had back strains, back sprains, busted nose, black eyes, busted lip, loose teeth, deep bone bruises, shin splints, ankle sprains, and the lasting effects are very bad knees and a not so hot back!! LOL.... Cheerleading is HARD work. I know that the situtation listed in the article is concerning a girl who was climbing and was dropped. Back when I cheered, having spot wasn't mandatory. Basically, if the base (that is the person who is doing the holding) didn't catch you, you fell... PERIOD! In about every mount or extension type of climb we did, I was the base. I have went down many times on the bottom under everyone to keep from my climber from getting hurt. LOLOL.... Believe me, they used to stand in line to have me as base cause they knew I wouldn't let them get hurt if I could help it. Cheerleading now is-NOT what it used to be back in the day. We used mini-tramps to tumble off of during games, threw toe-pitches, went 2 and 1/2 to 3 high without a spot in mounting during cheers ....... A LOT of precautions are taken now that were not in effect in years past.
Now I never said that I thought that Cheerleading wasn't a sport did I? Big Grin

I was saying What has the world came to, saying that cheerleading is a full contact sport thrown in there in the same category as sports such as Wrestling and Football.
NEXT Wrote:Be careful what you wish for.

If it is recognized as a full sport with the KHSAA a lot of changes will occur and I would say cheerleading sponsors will not like it.

Like limitations on practice and "season" and the end of all the competitions other than region.

OH... I know the drill... the thing is that the KHSAA DOES and has already changed quite a bit of things to do with cheerleading. I can name at least 10 things that have changed within the last few years. Having to cheer in a certain amount of games to be able to compete in the regional and state competitions, made a lot of things illegal that were "part of the competition" back in the day..... I know as a former sponsor, I feel that cheerleading doesn't get recognized for the time, dedication, effort, heart, or nothing that goes into it. AND... although they may have a "dead" period, you have to look at it like this.... cheerleading for football and basketball coincide with each other. School will be out within a couple of months of basketball season ending. Have your tryouts, get a few practices in, and yes, they will have to practice prior to the start of football season...... so basically, the limitation on practices will be far and few between.... especially if you can show that you have your camps that you have to schedule early or you don't get in, gymnastics that the girls can take independently without a sponsor present at a private facility, and clinics that you have to attend as a sponsor to be able to coach. There is a LOT of different ways to look at it. But, then again NEXT... I do see your point!!! :Thumbs:

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Have pondered this all day... have tried to post once, but erased it.... twice while writing it and once after I posted.... too many thoughts, too much to say, too little space. Have to get to church... we're opening our doors to church family and friends without power. Everyone stay warm and if you must be out, drive slowly and carefully!
Cheerleading isn't a KHSAA sport.
Guys, to be honest, I think to be a true sport, you have to actually have games. You don't see cheerleaders winning and losing games, just competitions. I am not sayin cheerleaders aren't important or that they dont work hard, it's just i dont think it is in the same league as basketball football baseball etc..
there are plenty of sports that you don't actually have "games" but competitions. Cheerleading has plenty of competitions
name 1 other sport like that.. and dont say dance team because its the same argument
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:there are plenty of sports that you don't actually have "games" but competitions. Cheerleading has plenty of competitions

Does that make dancing a sport? There are many dancing competitions. Does that make singing a sport? There are plenty singing competitions.

Cheerleaders lead cheers. Cheers for what? Sports. Yes its hard, yes its competitive, but that doesn't neccesarily make it a sport. Thats just my opinion.
Weightlifting is considered a sport. There are no games.
Skiing is conisdered a sport. There are no games.
Ice skating is considered a sport. There are no games.
Diving.
Gymnastics.
Archery.
Pool.
Cycling.
Javelin.
Long jump.
Horse Racing.
Heck, laser tag and darts are sports! Why not cheerleading?!!?

There are plenty of sports where there are no games. They can have tournaments and competitions (based on a score given by a judge), but yet no games.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Does that make dancing a sport? There are many dancing competitions. Does that make singing a sport? There are plenty singing competitions.

Cheerleaders lead cheers. Cheers for what? Sports. Yes its hard, yes its competitive, but that doesn't neccesarily make it a sport. Thats just my opinion.

Yes, cheerleaders' main reason is to lead cheers. We cheer at games and get the crowd involved. But during tournaments, the cheerleaders get judged too. That becomes a competition. And then for those competing at KAPOS or UCA or other competitions like that, that is a sport.

Competitive cheerleading is a sport. Game cheering, now thats harder to argue but in my mind it is still a sport.
Sports aren't all about games. It's about different teams competing against each other to see whose the best. Basketball players compete with one another to make the most baskets, catch the most rebounds, make the least amount of fouls, and run the quikest down and back the court while dribbling and passing a ball. Football players compete with one another to score the most goals, make the most complete passes, and make the most tackles. Baseball players compete with one another to score the most runs, pitch the best, hit the ball the best, steal more bases, and get the most outs. Cheerleaders compete with one another to perform the best mounts, tumbling, dances, jumps, and motions. It's not all about how many points you score in a game, it's about competing to see whose the best. Just because there are no games in cheerleading does not mean it's not a sport.
mrfootball03 Wrote:Does that make dancing a sport? There are many dancing competitions. Does that make singing a sport? There are plenty singing competitions.

Yes, cheerleaders lead cheers for other sports at basketball and football games. But what about at competitions? They are not cheering on any other sport then. They are competing against other squads to prove themselves the best. Competitive cheerleading is a sport.

& I don't think it's fair to include singing in the same category as cheerleading. I mean, singing requires no athletic ability or bodily exertion. It only involves saying words in a pleasing tune with your mouth. No running, jumping, or physical movement. Cheerleading requires all of these.
Must be something?
sportsfanatic09 Wrote:Sports aren't all about games. It's about different teams competing against each other to see whose the best. Basketball players compete with one another to make the most baskets, catch the most rebounds, make the least amount of fouls, and run the quikest down and back the court while dribbling and passing a ball. Football players compete with one another to score the most goals, make the most complete passes, and make the most tackles. Baseball players compete with one another to score the most runs, pitch the best, hit the ball the best, steal more bases, and get the most outs. Cheerleaders compete with one another to perform the best mounts, tumbling, dances, jumps, and motions. It's not all about how many points you score in a game, it's about competing to see whose the best. Just because there are no games in cheerleading does not mean it's not a sport.

Good Post