Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone notice?
After the first oath was flubbed. Obama and company decided he should retake the oath. This has happened twice before, and is not a big deal. However, they did not allow reporters or cameras in. There was only 1 picture taken and released to the public of such an important event.

In that picture, he is not swearing in on a bible.

I found that interesting to say the least.
I havent heard anyone mention this inthe news yet, but maybe eventually someone else will notice it.
Will you get over it?
king360 Wrote:Will you get over it?

Get over it lol Its important that things are done the way they are suppose to be done... All the Presidents before him took the oath the way it was suppose to be done.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Beetle01 Wrote:After the first oath was flubbed. Obama and company decided he should retake the oath. This has happened twice before, and is not a big deal. However, they did not allow reporters or cameras in. There was only 1 picture taken and released to the public of such an important event.

In that picture, he is not swearing in on a bible.

I found that interesting to say the least.
I havent heard anyone mention this inthe news yet, but maybe eventually someone else will notice it.

I agree with you but it was in the news.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Batpuff Wrote:Get over it lol Its important that things are done the way they are suppose to be done... All the Presidents before him took the oath the way it was suppose to be done.
If Justice Roberts would have known the oath there wouldn't have been a problem.

It's REPEAT AFTER ME:..............
DevilsWin Wrote:If Justice Roberts would have known the oath there wouldn't have been a problem.

It's REPEAT AFTER ME:..............

I dont have a problem with the oath being flubbed, I mean people get nervous and they mess up, no big deal. They did the oath again so that there could be no complaints, no problem with that either.

However they didnt let reporters in, they didn't take running video. There are no independent witnesses to the oath. It definetly appears he swore in without using a Bible.

Making him the first one ever if that is the case. I think Obama is gonna be first in quite a few things, none of them will be probably be good.
Beetle01 Wrote:However they didnt let reporters in, they didn't take running video. There are no independent witnesses to the oath. It definetly appears he swore in without using a Bible.

Were there reporters, running video, independent witnesses using a bible the first two times that it occurred? :igiveup:
Beetle01 Wrote:I dont have a problem with the oath being flubbed, I mean people get nervous and they mess up, no big deal. They did the oath again so that there could be no complaints, no problem with that either.

However they didnt let reporters in, they didn't take running video. There are no independent witnesses to the oath. It definetly appears he swore in without using a Bible.

Making him the first one ever if that is the case. I think Obama is gonna be first in quite a few things, none of them will be probably be good.
Whatever man. Get over yourself already.
You're beginning to act as ridiculous as me!Big Grin
Some people just cant quit on this guy can they? The oath was flubbed up by Justice Roberts, not Obama and who really gives a **** if he used a bible or not on the second oat. Its not a big deal, good GOD get over it already.
Stardust Wrote:Were there reporters, running video, independent witnesses using a bible the first two times that it occurred? :igiveup:

Im not sure if there was video the first two times, but it wasn't done behind closed doors like this one was.
DevilsWin Wrote:Whatever man. Get over yourself already.
You're beginning to act as ridiculous as me!Big Grin

He's not even close! Big Grin
OMG its the end of the world. All because he retook the oath behind closed doors...
DevilsWin Wrote:Whatever man. Get over yourself already.
You're beginning to act as ridiculous as me!:D

:bigeyed: :bigeyed:
Old School Wrote:He's not even close! Big Grin
Thanks Old School!

I strive to be a 1 of a kind original!
FACT: A Bible is not required for the presidential oath. It's not called for in the Constitution. You can look it up if you want. It's traditional, dating back to the 18th- and 19th-century tradition of placing one hand on a Bible when swearing an oath, but not mandatory. Article VI of the Constitution specifically says that there is no religious test required for holding public office or responsibilities in the United States.

The phrase "so help me God" is also not in the Constitution. Although it is claimed that Washington added the phrase when he was first sworn in, people who were at that first presidential inauguration make no mention of him using that phrase.

It's not mandatory that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court swear in the president. Heck, it's not even mandatory that the person swearing in the new president be a judge (Calvin Coolidge was sworn in by his father, a notary public, in 1923 when Warren Harding died unexpectedly). And it's not mandatory that the new president complete the oath; on many occasions the oath has been stated by the chief justice in the form of a question, with the new president simply replying, "I do."

(Presumably, he was not told to kiss the bride.)

That said ... Beetle, your statement that Obama is the first president to take the oath without a Bible is flat-out wrong. John Quincy Adams swore on a law book in 1825, Franklin Pierce used no book at all, Teddy Roosevelt didn't use a Bible and LBJ used a Catholic missal because it was the only thing available. Herbert Hoover used a Bible but because of his Quaker beliefs he affirmed his oath rather than swearing it.

Chief Justice Roberts isn't the first chief justice to flub the oath, either: Melville Fuller was the first, when swearing in William Howard Taft as president. Taft himself botched the oath as chief justice in 1929 when swearing in Hoover; Hoover did not retake the oath because Taft decided that his departure from the text didn't invalidate the oath.

Under the 20th Amendment (ratified 1933), the power and office of the presidency transfers automatically to the newly-elected president at noon on Jan. 20, making no mention of the presidential oath of office. Should a sitting president die, Section 1 of the 25th Amendment states that the vice president becomes president; it does not specify that the vice president becomes president upon taking the presidential oath of office.

(And yes, there's a great deal of debate among constitutional scholars regarding whether the oath is really required and whether there's an interregnum period should the new president not take office at high noon Jan. 20.)

Seriously, some of y'all need to retake junior-high civics.
Here is the picture. And in an MSNBC report, Obama said he didn't have his Bible with him at the time, and that's why he didn't have it to swear on the 2nd time...not that it matters as TSH has already told us.

[Image: http://imgs.sfgate.com/c/pictures/2009/0...697534.jpg]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beetle01 Wrote:Making him the first one ever if that is the case. I think Obama is gonna be first in quite a few things, none of them will be probably be good.

TomSportsHack Wrote:
That said ... Beetle, your statement that Obama is the first president to take the oath without a Bible is flat-out wrong. John Quincy Adams swore on a law book in 1825, Franklin Pierce used no book at all, Teddy Roosevelt didn't use a Bible and LBJ used a Catholic missal because it was the only thing available. Herbert Hoover used a Bible but because of his Quaker beliefs he affirmed his oath rather than swearing it.

Big Grin Rolleyes

PWNED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TomSportsHack Wrote:FACT: A Bible is not required for the presidential oath. It's not called for in the Constitution. You can look it up if you want. It's traditional, dating back to the 18th- and 19th-century tradition of placing one hand on a Bible when swearing an oath, but not mandatory. Article VI of the Constitution specifically says that there is no religious test required for holding public office or responsibilities in the United States.

The phrase "so help me God" is also not in the Constitution. Although it is claimed that Washington added the phrase when he was first sworn in, people who were at that first presidential inauguration make no mention of him using that phrase.

It's not mandatory that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court swear in the president. Heck, it's not even mandatory that the person swearing in the new president be a judge (Calvin Coolidge was sworn in by his father, a notary public, in 1923 when Warren Harding died unexpectedly). And it's not mandatory that the new president complete the oath; on many occasions the oath has been stated by the chief justice in the form of a question, with the new president simply replying, "I do."

Chief Justice Roberts isn't the first chief justice to flub the oath, either: Melville Fuller was the first, when swearing in William Howard Taft as president. Taft himself botched the oath as chief justice in 1929 when swearing in Hoover; Hoover did not retake the oath because Taft decided that his departure from the text didn't invalidate the oath.

Under the 20th Amendment (ratified 1933), the power and office of the presidency transfers automatically to the newly-elected president at noon on Jan. 20, making no mention of the presidential oath of office. Should a sitting president die, Section 1 of the 25th Amendment states that the vice president becomes president; it does not specify that the vice president becomes president upon taking the presidential oath of office.

(And yes, there's a great deal of debate among constitutional scholars regarding whether the oath is really required and whether there's an interregnum period should the new president not take office at high noon Jan. 20.)

Well shoot....you knocked me off my soapbox before I even had the chance to get on it!!! LOL GREAT POST!!!!

Just proves, again, that Beetle speaks and he/she don't EVEN have a clue to what heshe is talking about!

I have come to the conclusion that if Beetle knew as much as he thought he knew...well, he would be Einstein, Jr.
TomSportsHack Wrote:FACT: A Bible is not required for the presidential oath. It's not called for in the Constitution. You can look it up if you want. It's traditional, dating back to the 18th- and 19th-century tradition of placing one hand on a Bible when swearing an oath, but not mandatory. Article VI of the Constitution specifically says that there is no religious test required for holding public office or responsibilities in the United States.

Well put! As you said, a Bible is not required by the Constitution, but is just traditional. In any event, Obama did swear on a Bible during the live ceremony. And it is correct that the oath was probably sufficient as first given, but they decided to have Obama redo it just to make sure there were no technicalities raised by people like yourself. lol Anyway, like it or not, Obama is the new President. I hope he does a great job because we need someone in there to do a great job. But personally, I'd hate to be President right now. No way can any one man fix all of the problems that exist in our Country, let alone the world, in 4 years. He can make a lot of progress if he works his butt off, gets the right people to help him make the right decisions, and gets Congress to help him. A lot of ifs!!
EKY Sportster Wrote:And it is correct that the oath was probably sufficient as first given, but they decided to have Obama redo it just to make sure there were no technicalities raised by people like yourself.

Exaaaactly.

cheerdad Wrote:Well shoot....you knocked me off my soapbox before I even had the chance to get on it!!! LOL GREAT POST!!!!

Just proves, again, that Beetle speaks and he/she don't EVEN have a clue to what heshe is talking about!

I have come to the conclusion that if Beetle knew as much as he thought he knew...well, he would be Einstein, Jr.

He Got Owned on his own thread Big Grin

----------------
Listening to: Muse - Thoughts of a Dying Atheist
via FoxyTunes