Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Allen Central Track Program Cancelled
I heard from an Allen Central runner that they will not be fielding a team this season. What a shame! It seems AC track has gone downhill ever since Mosley graduated. I don't know what happened to Coach Slone and his wife. Anyone know anything?
another tragedy because of sis Hall..
AC will no longer field a track team and budget issues were the reason given. This was not a decision made by Coach Slone - it was an administrative decision. I know last spring the track team, baseball team and softball teams were given a copy of letter and a budget breakdown of the money spent on the programs for transportation. At that time it was implied that all away games for the remainder of the season were to be cancelled. After AC parents contacted Henry Webb- the away games were played as scheduled. Apparently these 3 teams are not revenue producing sports at AC and do not have the support of those teams that do produce revenue. What a shame.
Can they run at another high school?
this is sad
betsylaynealum Wrote:another tragedy because of sis Hall..
I heard hardly any people are going to the basketball games , because they are so bad. That means less money. Do you think sis Hall will cancel basketball next year?
I don't think it's because the programs are bad. The programs that have been dropped are the ones that don't collect any money from the events.

It does make sense.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I don't think it's because the programs are bad. The programs that have been dropped are the ones that don't collect any money from the events.

It does make sense.
Track, baseball, softball etc. are not money makers at any school. At my school the money made at football and basketball help support the other sports, If one sport is canceled due to funds they all are. That is the way it should be.
the old WASP Wrote:Track, baseball, softball etc. are not money makers at any school. At my school the money made at football and basketball help support the other sports, If one sport is canceled due to funds they all are. That is the way it should be.

I know that, but I do not agree that just because you do away with one sport or a few sports that you should do away with them all.

Allen Central is a small school and if you do not find success in your money making sports like you mentioned, football and basketball your not going to have enough money to support all the other programs like baseball, track, wrestling, etc.

Allen Central will defiantly not be the only school that will start dropping programs because other small schools will begin to do this as well.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I know that, but I do not agree that just because you do away with one sport or a few sports that you should do away with them all.

Allen Central is a small school and if you do not find success in your money making sports like you mentioned, football and basketball your not going to have enough money to support all the other programs like baseball, track, wrestling, etc.

Allen Central will defiantly not be the only school that will start dropping programs because other small schools will begin to do this as well.
I agree, my point is if you don't have good coaches, and have a winning team then you are going to loose fans> I heard until the last couple of years, that AC football had very little support and were concerned that might be canceled, now they have a winning team and naturally have more fans. Winning and fans go hand in hand.
the old WASP Wrote:I agree, my point is if you don't have good coaches, and have a winning team then you are going to loose fans> I heard until the last couple of years, that AC football had very little support and were concerned that might be canceled, now they have a winning team and naturally have more fans. Winning and fans go hand in hand.

Agreed.
Allen Central's baseball team is most likely the winningest program at the school. I'm sure if you look at district titles and athletes who were awarded scholarships to play at the next level you would see that the baseball team is tops at AC. But it doesn't matter how many fans show up- AC can't charge admission for a baseball game-so they have no shot at producing revenue. The Track team could not host a meet at the track because the track is in such poor condition. Again - no opportunity to proudce revenue. The softball team has the same problem.
I know that kids in that school are interested in Track. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put some of those football guys and basketball guys on track. Their track is bad but Ive seen worse. If they could get a grant and fix that track it would be great. They could get teams to come into Eastern and run. If I was still running I would throw a fit expecially if it was my senior year.
That is ridiculous unless they just have no interest from the students. As for track and field, there is no money to be made in this sport for any school but most schools still have the program for students. So as AC is part of the Floyd Co. School System, are the other school system programs going to cancel their track programs as well? If not, that would appear to be discriminatory IMO. Why pick on AC? There must be something else going on here if you ask me.
EKY Sportster Wrote:That is ridiculous unless they just have no interest from the students. As for track and field, there is no money to be made in this sport for any school but most schools still have the program for students. So as AC is part of the Floyd Co. School System, are the other school system programs going to cancel their track programs as well? If not, that would appear to be discriminatory IMO. Why pick on AC? There must be something else going on here if you ask me.

Exactly! I say consolidate the whole system, Floyd County Central RebelCats.
EKY Sportster Wrote:That is ridiculous unless they just have no interest from the students. As for track and field, there is no money to be made in this sport for any school but most schools still have the program for students. So as AC is part of the Floyd Co. School System, are the other school system programs going to cancel their track programs as well? If not, that would appear to be discriminatory IMO. Why pick on AC? There must be something else going on here if you ask me.
What is going on there is Sis Hall, She just likes to show you who the boss is. Hiring and firing coaches should be done by the A.D. if you have one , if not it should be done by the board
Well, this makes no sense. Track at good old Betsy Layne is stronger than ever. Their whole team qualified for track last year. They only had 10 members. This year sign-ups had them with 30. A school can't drop a program unless it has no interest. To be honest, Betsy Layne is getting up a tennis team, I think. So is Betsy Layne that much on the rise to Allen Central? I dont think so. The problem lies with the principal. Betsy Layne has no track. Betsy Layne has no baseball field. Their is no excuse. Just fire Sis Hall.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Well, this makes no sense. Track at good old Betsy Layne is stronger than ever. Their whole team qualified for track last year. They only had 10 members. This year sign-ups had them with 30. A school can't drop a program unless it has no interest. To be honest, Betsy Layne is getting up a tennis team, I think. So is Betsy Layne that much on the rise to Allen Central? I dont think so. The problem lies with the principal. Betsy Layne has no track. Betsy Layne has no baseball field. Their is no excuse. Just fire Sis Hall.

Good point. If the local people don't like what's going on, make changes! It isn't my neighborhood, but that's what I'd be trying to do if I lived there.
betsylaynealum Wrote:Well, this makes no sense. Track at good old Betsy Layne is stronger than ever. Their whole team qualified for track last year. They only had 10 members. This year sign-ups had them with 30. A school can't drop a program unless it has no interest. To be honest, Betsy Layne is getting up a tennis team, I think. So is Betsy Layne that much on the rise to Allen Central? I dont think so. The problem lies with the principal. Betsy Layne has no track. Betsy Layne has no baseball field. Their is no excuse. Just fire Sis Hall.

It wasn't a lack of interest from student athletes. AC had quite a few athletes qualify for the state meet the last few years. I think AC had one girl who placed in the state meet for high jump. In my opinion it shouldn't matter if you have 10 kids or 1 kid.

Just wondering- how many students does a school bus hold? Did anyone ever consider sharing a bus to the meets? I really think there were ways to work around the gas prices and cost of transportation. I know the Academic teams at ACMS, May Valley and Duff have shared a bus to meets before. Why not let the HS teams try it?
This is sad to see a Program go out like this i know track is not number one at alot of schools in eastern KY but they are so many talented athletes i have seen at the regional and Pikeville track meets when I was in School its a shame that a school has to close sports when kids want do them.
betsylaynealum Wrote:A school can't drop a program unless it has no interest.

If there's no money to support the program, the program's going to have a problem. Where I grew up down here in Florida, all the county schools were on the verge of canceling all spring JV/freshman sports and all of the academic competitions (Science Fair, foreign language fair, a few weeks ago before the parents and booster clubs agreed to raise $100K to keep those programs going countywide.

If it's a choice between having a track & field team and buying class materials, buy the class materials. It's a high school first and foremost, not a sports club.
the old WASP Wrote:What is going on there is Sis Hall, She just likes to show you who the boss is. Hiring and firing coaches should be done by the A.D. if you have one , if not it should be done by the board
The principal has the ability to hire and fire coaches. Some may seek advice from other sources, but ultimately they have the authority, and do not have to consult with anyone.