Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2009 NFL Draft: First-round mock (Fox Sports)
Fox has put out their listing. Based on this, they predict the Bengals would take Michael Crabtree from TTU. IMO, their needs are on both lines. I don't see how they can pass on Eugene Monroe OT from Virginia if he is still available. Levi Jones has come to the end of his career, and Anthony Collins just does not appear to have the strenght of quickness of an NFL Tackle. He would be best suited at a Guard position. Since the Tackle position is the most important protection point for the QB, we need to fill that hole. What are your thoughts on the potential order?

1. Detroit Lions — *Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

The Lions are a team that has to rebuild with a new regime, and they will decide between an offensive tackle and a quarterback. It's a tough choice, but they select Bradford.

2. St. Louis Rams — Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

The Rams could use an upgrade in their secondary, but with two of the premier offensive tackles on the board, it comes down to Oher or Smith. The pick is Oher.

3. Kansas City Chiefs — *Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

With Bradford off the board and not wanting to reach for a defender, this is a classic trade down point for the Chiefs. Either way, Smith comes off the board.

4. Seattle Seahawks — *Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

With Matt Hasselbeck getting older and becoming more fragile, it's apparent that Seneca Wallace isn't the answer at quarterback. Stafford is the future in Seattle.

5. Cleveland Browns — Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Statistically speaking, the Browns are not that bad at creating INTs and against the pass, but they need a front line CB who is a game changer. Jenkins is the answer.

6. Cincinnati Bengals — *Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

There is a chance that Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are not in Cincinnati next year and with Crabtree being the best available, he's the pick.

7. Oakland Raiders — Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Disappointed that Crabtree is off the board, the Raiders could turn their attention to Jeremy Maclin. But protecting JaMarcus Russell is a must, and Monroe is a great fit.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars — *Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

The Jaguars need a playmaker at wide receiver, and it's possible they could look at another position. But Maclin's dynamic skills are hard to pass up.

9. Green Bay Packers — *Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

The Packers were a disappointment, and they have to improve their pass rush. The selection of Brown provides Green Bay with a relentless defender with huge potential.

10. San Francisco 49ers — Rey Maualuga, LB, USC

The Niners could upgrade at many positions, including quarterback, but with Mike Singletary being the head coach and defense coming first, it will be hard to pass up Maualuga.

** Remainder on the link ** http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/90329...&GT1=39002
Stardust Wrote:Fox has put out their listing. Based on this, they predict the Bengals would take Michael Crabtree from TTU. IMO, their needs are on both lines. I don't see how they can pass on Eugene Monroe OT from Virginia if he is still available. Levi Jones has come to the end of his career, and Anthony Collins just does not appear to have the strenght of quickness of an NFL Tackle. He would be best suited at a Guard position. Since the Tackle position is the most important protection point for the QB, we need to fill that hole. What are your thoughts on the potential order?

1. Detroit Lions — *Sam Bradford, QB, Oklahoma

The Lions are a team that has to rebuild with a new regime, and they will decide between an offensive tackle and a quarterback. It's a tough choice, but they select Bradford.

2. St. Louis Rams — Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi

The Rams could use an upgrade in their secondary, but with two of the premier offensive tackles on the board, it comes down to Oher or Smith. The pick is Oher.

3. Kansas City Chiefs — *Andre Smith, OT, Alabama

With Bradford off the board and not wanting to reach for a defender, this is a classic trade down point for the Chiefs. Either way, Smith comes off the board.

4. Seattle Seahawks — *Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia

With Matt Hasselbeck getting older and becoming more fragile, it's apparent that Seneca Wallace isn't the answer at quarterback. Stafford is the future in Seattle.

5. Cleveland Browns — Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Statistically speaking, the Browns are not that bad at creating INTs and against the pass, but they need a front line CB who is a game changer. Jenkins is the answer.

6. Cincinnati Bengals — *Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

There is a chance that Chad Johnson and T.J. Houshmandzadeh are not in Cincinnati next year and with Crabtree being the best available, he's the pick.

7. Oakland Raiders — Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

Disappointed that Crabtree is off the board, the Raiders could turn their attention to Jeremy Maclin. But protecting JaMarcus Russell is a must, and Monroe is a great fit.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars — *Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri

The Jaguars need a playmaker at wide receiver, and it's possible they could look at another position. But Maclin's dynamic skills are hard to pass up.

9. Green Bay Packers — *Everette Brown, DE, Florida State

The Packers were a disappointment, and they have to improve their pass rush. The selection of Brown provides Green Bay with a relentless defender with huge potential.

10. San Francisco 49ers — Rey Maualuga, LB, USC

The Niners could upgrade at many positions, including quarterback, but with Mike Singletary being the head coach and defense coming first, it will be hard to pass up Maualuga.

** Remainder on the link ** http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/90329...&GT1=39002

Can Sam Bradford go PRO this year. He is only a SO. I think the NFL rules you have to be 21 years or a jr in college, before you can go. I might not be right about that.
Stardust Wrote:Fox has put out their listing. Based on this, they predict the Bengals would take Michael Crabtree from TTU. IMO, their needs are on both lines. I don't see how they can pass on Eugene Monroe OT from Virginia if he is still available. Levi Jones has come to the end of his career, and Anthony Collins just does not appear to have the strenght of quickness of an NFL Tackle. He would be best suited at a Guard position. Since the Tackle position is the most important protection point for the QB, we need to fill that hole. What are your thoughts on the potential order?

WHAT??? Did you even watch the Bengals' this year? Collins' done great against Freeney, who is still a top tier DE... He even talked back a little, he played against atleast 5 top tier DE's and proved that he could take them on. I don't even know what your talkin about him not havin' the strength and speed of an NFL OT.
I think I might kill someone if we take a receiver.............. Our line couldn't block for anything, so we need a tackle first round, which I think Oher will be there, but Monroe if he's not.

Chad and possibly TJ will be back, or we might even tag and trade TJ.

Our rookies looked good, and will only have improved.

Chad, maybe TJ, Chris Henry, Caldwell, Simpson, and you could even throw in Chatman and Holt as contributors.

Even the Bengals website has us taking an OT first and a center second.

From today:
Quote:the Bengals know they are fortuitously going to get a good look at what many believe to be the top three centers in the draft. With Louisville's Eric Wood, a Cincinnati product from Elder High School ticketed to the South, the Bengals are probably going to end up coaching California's Alex Mack and Oregon's Max Unger.

Also thought to be on the North team but not yet announced is Virginia left tackle Eugene Monroe, a projected top ten pick, again playing into the Bengals' need to fortify its offensive line.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
cj2561 Wrote:Can Sam Bradford go PRO this year. He is only a SO. I think the NFL rules you have to be 21 years or a jr in college, before you can go. I might not be right about that.

The rule is that you must be out of High School 3 years. Since Bradford is a Redshirt sophomore, he is eligible for the draft.
Jshort5 Wrote:WHAT??? Did you even watch the Bengals' this year? Collins' done great against Freeney, who is still a top tier DE... He even talked back a little, he played against atleast 5 top tier DE's and proved that he could take them on. I don't even know what your talkin about him not havin' the strength and speed of an NFL OT.

There seems to be enough sentiment to say that the Bengals will look to draft an OT, so not just my thoughts
Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
I find it remarkable that the Bengals finished the year on a 4-3-1 run. With Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cedric Benson and an inept offensive line that allowed 51 sacks running the show, how did the Bengals win more than two games? Marvin Lewis - Coach of the Year!

In all seriousness, the Bengals need to improve their pass protection if they want to contend next year. With Carson Palmer coming back from his elbow injury, Cincinnati cannot afford to have him get hurt again.
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php
2. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

The Bengals are having some serious problems this year with all aspects of offense and defense. Their secondary is one of the worst in the game and their offense has not been able to move the ball well at all. I think that the Bengals need to go for the best O-lineman in the draft because they have been unable to run and also unable to protect their qb. So I think Oher is a great player for Bengals.
http://www.zimbio.com/Darren+McFadden/ar...Picks+1+10

The offensive line is the biggest need, but do the Bengals even see that. Tackle is a weakness. Center is a weakness. Considering how much Carson and Fitz got beat up in 2008, we could probably use a guard also. The offensive line needs a major overhaul or the QBs will continue to destroyed. Carsons career could end in injury soon if the line isn't fixed.
http://boards.bengals.com/archive/index....37374.html
No Running Backs?...That's a shocker!
Stardust Wrote:There seems to be enough sentiment to say that the Bengals will look to draft an OT, so not just my thoughts
Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
I find it remarkable that the Bengals finished the year on a 4-3-1 run. With Ryan Fitzpatrick, Cedric Benson and an inept offensive line that allowed 51 sacks running the show, how did the Bengals win more than two games? Marvin Lewis - Coach of the Year!

In all seriousness, the Bengals need to improve their pass protection if they want to contend next year. With Carson Palmer coming back from his elbow injury, Cincinnati cannot afford to have him get hurt again.
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2009.php
2. Cincinnati Bengals: Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

The Bengals are having some serious problems this year with all aspects of offense and defense. Their secondary is one of the worst in the game and their offense has not been able to move the ball well at all. I think that the Bengals need to go for the best O-lineman in the draft because they have been unable to run and also unable to protect their qb. So I think Oher is a great player for Bengals.
http://www.zimbio.com/Darren+McFadden/ar...Picks+1+10

The offensive line is the biggest need, but do the Bengals even see that. Tackle is a weakness. Center is a weakness. Considering how much Carson and Fitz got beat up in 2008, we could probably use a guard also. The offensive line needs a major overhaul or the QBs will continue to destroyed. Carsons career could end in injury soon if the line isn't fixed.
http://boards.bengals.com/archive/index....37374.html

what im sayin is move Collins to RT and draft a LT. I do agree we need O-linemen...
Jshort5 Wrote:what im sayin is move Collins to RT and draft a LT. I do agree we need O-linemen...

That would make sense, but I think the Bengals liked the Whitworth move. I don't know that I like Whit at LT. I think Whit could be a Pro-Bowl guard, I don't think he could ever achieve that at Tackle.

It really comes down the the Bengals front office. Does anyone really think they will put money into a 1st round O-lineman when they have Jones signed through 2012? I felt that was a horrible signing when they made it. Can Levi move to RT? No matter, they need extensive help on the line.

Another option is to put Bobbi Williams at C. That could take care of that position. But then you open another hole at G. Collins can play G, but IMO Levi cannot. If Andrews can recover, he will be hobbled. A move to G would be natural for him as well.

The more I write about it, the more I get confused. The line needs to be addressed. I just don't have the faith in the organization to figure out how to fix it :confused:
If I was a betting man Id be willing to say my Steelers draft O-line in the first 2 rounds. It wouldnt even surprise me to see them trade up to get a shot at Oher or Andre Smith. We could win the Super Bowl this year but if we could get some O-lineman and IMO a new O-line coach. We could be unstoppable next year.
I kinda figured the Bengals would go for Eugene Monroe from UVA just because they need to build their o-line but it also depends on Chad and T.J. on how the wide receiving core looks.
I think that the Bengals should get rid of Chad Johnson and if they can pick Michael Crabtree then they need to take him. But if they cant get him then they need to draft an O-Line men even though I dont like taking linemen in the first round.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I think that the Bengals should get rid of Chad Johnson and if they can pick Michael Crabtree then they need to take him. But if they cant get him then they need to draft an O-Line men even though I dont like taking linemen in the first round.

I honestly don't think it matters who plays WR or RB. If the Bengals do not address their O-Line the will not be able to pass or run the ball. Picking Crabtree would be a mistake when they have glaring weaknesses on both sides of the line.

If the Bengals do not fix the O-line this year, Carson will continue to run for his life. That problem will manifest itself into no passing game, thus Jerry Rice wouldn't help this team :igiveup:
CamelPride Wrote:I honestly don't think it matters who plays WR or RB. If the Bengals do not address their O-Line the will not be able to pass or run the ball. Picking Crabtree would be a mistake when they have glaring weaknesses on both sides of the line.

If the Bengals do not fix the O-line this year, Carson will continue to run for his life. That problem will manifest itself into no passing game, thus Jerry Rice wouldn't help this team :igiveup:

I understand what your saying about the o-line but you can pick up linemen up as free agents. For example the Jets picked up Alan Faneca this past season as a free agent. IMO he is better than any linemen in this upcoming draft. Plus you can teach anybody to block for your team. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that a WR is the Bengals problem but he if he is the best player available then you have to take him. Plus if you take him you could always trade him for some more experience.
Stardust Wrote:The rule is that you must be out of High School 3 years. Since Bradford is a Redshirt sophomore, he is eligible for the draft.

I know there is something about 3 years. It been a while since i read the rules. If he does go this year. Sam will be a late first round pick or early 2nd rounder.
I think if he comes out this year, he is the first QB taken. This is a limited year for quality NFL QB's. If he waits till next year, he has to have another Heisman year to make sure he does not drop below McCoy TX, Sanchez USC, Clausen ND, Riley Cal.

So, it would be wise for Bradford to come out this year
Well, here's my view, the Seahawks need to draft Tim Tebow if he comes out. If someone passes him it will be like the teams who passed on Michael Jordan.
I wish the draft would work out like this...I wouldn't mind having Percy Harvin.
NIKE2010 Wrote:I understand what your saying about the o-line but you can pick up linemen up as free agents. For example the Jets picked up Alan Faneca this past season as a free agent. IMO he is better than any linemen in this upcoming draft. Plus you can teach anybody to block for your team. Dont get me wrong I am not saying that a WR is the Bengals problem but he if he is the best player available then you have to take him. Plus if you take him you could always trade him for some more experience.

Who could we pick up as a FA to play center or tackle? Look at the FAs for this off-season: Matt Birk at center, turns 32, so that's not really building for the future (I highly doubt the Vikings let him go anyways).

Jordan Gross- tackle for the Panthers, he's great, and I doubt Mike even tries to put up money in a bidding war.

Mark Tauscher- tackle for the Packers, I'd like him because he'd come cheap, so we might even take a shot at him, except he's 31, so what's that do for our future?

Marvel Smith- tackle coming from the Steelers, so he probably hates us, and he's an injury-prone 30 year old, good luck keeping him healthy all year (if we could even get him).

Jeff Saturday- he's 33, but I agree he might be great for another season or two, but good luck in trying to have Mike match the millions the Colts (or any other team) will throw at him.

I know there's more, but who did I miss that's worthwhile and we would go after? The draft looks better than any of the above that we have a shot at getting.

PC_You_Know Wrote:Well, here's my view, the Seahawks need to draft Tim Tebow if he comes out. If someone passes him it will be like the teams who passed on Michael Jordan.
Really? You wanna put Tebow in that category? Tebow will more than likely be ana NFL BUST. He had the size at Florida to run the ball, but the NFL's a different stage where he has neither the size or speed to run the ball, and he can't throw the ball downfield.

Michael Jordan, really?Rolleyes
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:I wish the draft would work out like this...I wouldn't mind having Percy Harvin.
Who would he run behind? Who would block for him? 5'11 198 lbs, do you really think he could be the between the tackles power back that we need? On top of all that, he has a broken ankle.

Now look, Ced Benson had 3.5 yards per carry behind a wet paper bag for an offensive line and no passing game which allowed teams to stack the box, and you'd rather waste a pick on an injured stick than focus on true needs?
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
PC_You_Know Wrote:Well, here's my view, the Seahawks need to draft Tim Tebow if he comes out. If someone passes him it will be like the teams who passed on Michael Jordan.

I love Tebow, big fan of the young man, but his NFL position is likely going to be a Tight-end or H-Back. He does not have the arm-strength to go long. This knock by NFL teams (it was also the knock when he came out of High School), will hurt his ability to be an NFL QB. I'd love to see him rewarded, but it's not likely to be as a starting QB in the NFL.
Well it sounds like to me that the Bengals are going to have to quit being so tight with there money and spend it to get good players to block.
BFritz Wrote:Who could we pick up as a FA to play center or tackle? Look at the FAs for this off-season: Matt Birk at center, turns 32, so that's not really building for the future (I highly doubt the Vikings let him go anyways).

Jordan Gross- tackle for the Panthers, he's great, and I doubt Mike even tries to put up money in a bidding war.

Mark Tauscher- tackle for the Packers, I'd like him because he'd come cheap, so we might even take a shot at him, except he's 31, so what's that do for our future?

Marvel Smith- tackle coming from the Steelers, so he probably hates us, and he's an injury-prone 30 year old, good luck keeping him healthy all year (if we could even get him).

Jeff Saturday- he's 33, but I agree he might be great for another season or two, but good luck in trying to have Mike match the millions the Colts (or any other team) will throw at him.

I know there's more, but who did I miss that's worthwhile and we would go after? The draft looks better than any of the above that we have a shot at getting.

Really? You wanna put Tebow in that category? Tebow will more than likely be ana NFL BUST. He had the size at Florida to run the ball, but the NFL's a different stage where he has neither the size or speed to run the ball, and he can't throw the ball downfield.

Michael Jordan, really?Rolleyes

Who would he run behind? Who would block for him? 5'11 198 lbs, do you really think he could be the between the tackles power back that we need? On top of all that, he has a broken ankle.

Now look, Ced Benson had 3.5 yards per carry behind a wet paper bag for an offensive line and no passing game which allowed teams to stack the box, and you'd rather waste a pick on an injured stick than focus on true needs?

28 TD's 2 INT's, who can't throw the ball?
PC_You_Know Wrote:28 TD's 2 INT's, who can't throw the ball?

I said he can't throw the ball DOWNFIELD, which there's a possibility you misread my quote, but you highlighted it all, so I doubt that you did.

Personally, I don't think he has the arm strength to sit in the pocket and fire balls to receivers quick enough to where athletic NFL players can't make plays on the ball. Furthermore, to go back to my original EXACT QUOTE, I don't think he can throw the ball downfield in any distance, and the distance that he does have has neither the zip nor the spiral on the ball.

However, since a few people on here have been judgemental of my football knowledge, I decided to see what the "experts" have said on the situation.

From FantasyFootballJungle.com:
Quote:Cons: Average arm at best. He doesn’t show the arm strength to make all the throws. Balls generally lack the snap required at the NFL level. Deeps balls tend be ducks. The offense at Florida doesn’t resemble an NFL offense; he hasn’t been under center much if at all. He is more of a power running quarterback, which doesn’t translate well into the NFL.

A lot of people are projecting him as a tight end or fullback in the NFL.
To quote the Cutman, "If the Bengals draft anyone under 300 pounds on the first day, they're nuts." I agree. This team needs depth up front, OL & DL. DT's Sims and Shirley looked good at times, but a team always needs more depth. I think you can pencil Collins, Whitworth, and Williams are definite starters. That leaves quite a bit of depth to fill.
Sam Bradford is staying..I bet Stafford is a VERY HAPPY MAN because that puts him at the #1 spot for the draft!
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Sam Bradford is staying..I bet Stafford is a VERY HAPPY MAN because that puts him at the #1 spot for the draft!

I heard the Lions were going to pass on Stafford and take Crabtree at the #1 spot. Smile
MVP2 Wrote:I heard the Lions were going to pass on Stafford and take Crabtree at the #1 spot. Smile

The sad thing is, it could happen.... :yikes:
Stardust Wrote:The sad thing is, it could happen.... :yikes:

Impossible. I think Bradford just said today he was going back to college for another year.
MVP2 Wrote:I heard the Lions were going to pass on Stafford and take Crabtree at the #1 spot. Smile

Thats funny. Smile
Anything's possible this year I believe, but I believe the Lions will most likely draft a QB and it'll probably be Stafford from UGA.