Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Artificial Noise Makers
Midee1 Wrote:Russell has a set of air horns on top of the scoreboard along side the flaming Devil. There has never been any issue with it to my knowledge.

John and Jodi Norman also sell horns that many have for the games. My wife always has her cowbells (except for when jgrubby breaks them). As long as they are not used during plays then I don't see a problem.

At pirate football games that is all my mom did was ring the crap outta them cowbells she had. You could here them from the sidelines lol.
I don't think they should be used during games because they are merely an annoyance and people should do the old fashioned thing and cheer or yell or something like that.
I really can't imagine any high school stadium where the crowd noise is loud enough to disrupt the calling of plays on the field.

This isn't Neyland Stadium and 110,000 fans we're talking about here.

You can shoot cannons and blow train horns and the PA man can howl at the moon over the microphone in just about every stadium I've ever been in and it wouldn't be loud enough to drown out play calls on the field. If there's a sound system somewhere loud enough to accomplish that, I'm jealous of that school.
KHSAA's information packet for the teams playing at Papa John's this weekend-specifically states noise makers will be confiscated at the gate.
I think it's cool as long as it's used correctly. I agree it's no different than the other noise makers. I like when Estill blows the train whistle because they are the Engineers...it goes with their theme, like the cannon goes with the Pirates. Can someone explain to me what the train whistle has to do with the Pirates? That's the only thing I wondered about?
gotcha2 Wrote:KHSAA's information packet for the teams playing at Papa John's this weekend-specifically states noise makers will be confiscated at the gate.

Does that rule apply only for the championship game??
Sarrr Wrote:Regardless of legality or not, it was incredibly distasteful and rude. I would hope that at least that in the future they'll have the restraint to reserve it for between quarters and after the game.
This is the point that hopefully everyone understands.

Magicjefferson25 Wrote:And another thing, who ever brings the horn needs to do the right thing and not let abunch of hoodlems blow the horn. At Breathitt one person is in charge of the cannon and incidents like this do not occur.
True, if you brought the thing, you are responsible for it. The "I didn't do it" excuse really is weak. It shouldn't have blown during game play. Same problem during the Sheldon Clark game.

FBALL Wrote:Sounding something as loud as a locomotive horn or a cannon or a siren is fine. As long as it is only done when play on the field has stopped. Sounding something like that during play or before a snap is wrong. I believe it is even against the rules and can result as a penalty.
I agree with this 100%. The horn itself, when used responsibly, is a great tool and it provides a lot of good spark. After TD's, etc., it is fine and a lot of fun. Doing otherwise is against the rules I think, and I would love to read the KHSAA rule regarding this. Has anyone had any luck finding it?

phs1986 Wrote:They were asked to stop blowing it and they abided and obliged.... end of story!!....LOL....
Yes, thankfully, they complied with the orders of the refs. Of course, if it had been handled properly, the refs would have never had to take time to send that message in the first place.

Magicjefferson25 Wrote:I say you end the thread, not really going anywhere and we have had our fun going back and forth in it. Lets argue over something else now.
Please, don't end the thread. I know PHS1996 doesn't agree with me on this issue, but I know she is fair and would never shut down the thread just because it makes her uncomfortable. It is a valid topic and I'm still hopeful somebody will find a copy of the KHSAA rule on the matter and post it.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:This is the point that hopefully everyone understands.

True, if you brought the thing, you are responsible for it. The "I didn't do it" excuse really is weak. It shouldn't have blown during game play. Same problem during the Sheldon Clark game.

I agree with this 100%. The horn itself, when used responsibly, is a great tool and it provides a lot of good spark. After TD's, etc., it is fine and a lot of fun. Doing otherwise is against the rules I think, and I would love to read the KHSAA rule regarding this. Has anyone had any luck finding it?

Yes, thankfully, they complied with the orders of the refs. Of course, if it had been handled properly, the refs would have never had to take time to send that message in the first place.

Please, don't end the thread. I know PHS1996 doesn't agree with me on this issue, but I know she is fair and would never shut down the thread just because it makes her uncomfortable. It is a valid topic and I'm still hopeful somebody will find a copy of the KHSAA rule on the matter and post it.

It's not that I disagree, if I had wanted to close it I would have done it last night. I do however feel the following way about some of your posts, and please don't get offended yourself.....I don't mean to be rude......

I feel that YOU are not truely a dedicated 100% Pirate Fan. WHY question anything that brings more hype to the game, supports the pirates, and gets the fans into the game? A lot of times, fan support can change the momentum of a game. Granted, YES, it was blown at the wrong time and they STOPPED blowing it so why all the dang fuss? One thing for sure, if all the people on here who support the Pirates would get out and work their tails off and dedicate themselves to the program, I mean REALLY dedicate themselves, they would see the true love, hard work, and emotion that goes into making one little thing a special for the Pirates. I work a full time job and EVERY night of the week, I was at the school/complex doing something no matter how big or how trival for the boys. Not just mine... ALL of them. Do you know how many games I actually got to sit and watch this season? ONE... Yeah, I went in and out but I worked every game. WHY? Because I know they needed help and everything I did was going to go towards those boys. THEY work their tails off for 5 months, not counting the weight training that goes on year round. So, with the horn aside, (it won't be present next year so the bellyachers can move on to someone or something else hopefully)..... I will continue to help in any way, do whatever it takes for the boys to have what they need, and support Coach Haywood, his staff, and the TEAM in anyway that I feel will motivate them into a victory....... sorry once again if this offends you but, I had to say what was on my mind.....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:It's not that I disagree, if I had wanted to close it I would have done it last night. I do however feel the following way about some of your posts, and please don't get offended yourself.....I don't mean to be rude......

phs,

First I want to thank you for all you do.You make very valid points, but you are also missing one key thing I feel in defense of bucaroo.

I totally agree that the ability to excite the crowd and provide that spark is definately a good thing, but when it is not utilized properly as in the case of the past couple weeks it can also have an equally negative effect on the program.

Belfry has tried to pride themselves as a model program that other schools ASPIRE to be like. Part of that, heck a large portion of it, are the parents and volunteers who wholly devote their time. It's also the fact that Belfry wants to reprsent itself with the utmost of class and respect towards the opponent.

There is no problem with a little intimidation if used properly. The "Death Valley" signs, the use of "terrible towells", "Tunnel Time", and now this train horn (WHICH DEFINATELY NEEDS TO RETURN) all adequately can establish this when used properly. It also gives the fans a sense of pride and ownership. But when it is not used properly it reflects VERY poorly back on the fanbase and program (same can be said for PA men cheerleading, and music playing IMO). As Belfry fans it is our responsibility to not only try o conduc ourselves with class, but aspire to hold others to the same standard.

There were more than one Breathitt fan who eluded to the horn being blown in poor taste within a day after the game's completion, obviously it left a sour taste in their mouth. The same as the 5 or 6 Belfry fans who commented about the JC PA man's music nearly immediately followig that game. We have a championship calibur football team and we must strive for a championshi calibur program. When an opponent leaves you want them to remember two things only: 1. What happened on the field 2. How respectfully they were treated.

Thus, instead of questioning Bucaroo's "fanhood" (<-- In reernce to those ESPN commercials), I instead see his/her viewpoint and agree with it.

To try to avoid being longwinded I have one quick account of what Befry should aspire to on the high school level.... I went to the UK/Alabama game and since then have had the utmost respect for the Alabama program. Not only was it a great time, a great game, and fantastic facilities... but the way we were treated as UK fans astounded me. We had countless fans intentionally go out of their way to welcome and wish us luck before the game, after the game even more fans thanked us for coming and acknowledged how well UK played. But what really sealed the deal was when one of our fellow UK fans was seated in front of an overbearing Tide fan who at one point taunted them following a Touchdown. Before the XP was kicked two other Tide fans had already apologized and then informed the other Alabama fan "These people payed alot of money to watch their team and you will not ruin that for them"...

Sorry for being longwinded.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:phs,

First I want to thank you for all you do.You make very valid points, but you are also missing one key thing I feel in defense of bucaroo.

I totally agree that the ability to excite the crowd and provide that spark is definately a good thing, but when it is not utilized properly as in the case of the past couple weeks it can also have an equally negative effect on the program.

Belfry has tried to pride themselves as a model program that other schools ASPIRE to be like. Part of that, heck a large portion of it, are the parents and volunteers who wholly devote their time. It's also the fact that Belfry wants to reprsent itself with the utmost of class and respect towards the opponent.

There is no problem with a little intimidation if used properly. The "Death Valley" signs, the use of "terrible towells", "Tunnel Time", and now this train horn (WHICH DEFINATELY NEEDS TO RETURN) all adequately can establish this when used properly. It also gives the fans a sense of pride and ownership. But when it is not used properly it reflects VERY poorly back on the fanbase and program (same can be said for PA men cheerleading, and music playing IMO). As Belfry fans it is our responsibility to not only try o conduc ourselves with class, but aspire to hold others to the same standard.

There were more than one Breathitt fan who eluded to the horn being blown in poor taste within a day after the game's completion, obviously it left a sour taste in their mouth. The same as the 5 or 6 Belfry fans who commented about the JC PA man's music nearly immediately followig that game. We have a championship calibur football team and we must strive for a championshi calibur program. When an opponent leaves you want them to remember two things only: 1. What happened on the field 2. How respectfully they were treated.

Thus, instead of questioning Bucaroo's "fanhood" (<-- In reernce to those ESPN commercials), I instead see his/her viewpoint and agree with it.

To try to avoid being longwinded I have one quick account of what Befry should aspire to on the high school level.... I went to the UK/Alabama game and since then have had the utmost respect for the Alabama program. Not only was it a great time, a great game, and fantastic facilities... but the way we were treated as UK fans astounded me. We had countless fans intentionally go out of their way to welcome and wish us luck before the game, after the game even more fans thanked us for coming and acknowledged how well UK played. But what really sealed the deal was when one of our fellow UK fans was seated in front of an overbearing Tide fan who at one point taunted them following a Touchdown. Before the XP was kicked two other Tide fans had already apologized and then informed the other Alabama fan "These people payed alot of money to watch their team and you will not ruin that for them"...

I understand your points and I'm not upset or angry with anyone who is making a valid opinion... I just feel that if you are a true fan, you are 100% behind your team and your fanbase. Agreed, there are some out there that are RUDE but being rude and getting caught up in the heat of the moment of a good game IMHO is two totally different things. As of right now, the horn WILL NOT be back as there are MORE Belfry fans bashing it than fans of other schools. Each and every person will support their team be it whoever, in the manner and fashion that suits themselves. Until Belfry fans want to "step-it-up" a notch, I guess we will stick to the old fashioned rocks in a bottle, cowbells, or clappers.

As far as fans, I myself personally talked to several from Breathitt, wished them goodluck, and told them to have a safe trip home..... I guarantee that if ANY of the ones who was blowing the horn, whomever it may have been, was asked to do something for the Breathitt fans, they would NOT have hesitated. They were just caught up in the game and over did it. BUT, oh well..... They are going to continue to get beraited by their own for this. It will NOT happen again.... Someone else can figure out how to show some class and support the Pirates without getting excited.... I know I will be too busy to worry about it from now on....

I'll give you also that I may have overreacted on Buc BUT, MY LORD, it's Belfry fans who are keeping the topic going and going. MY goodness, it's over, no one has to worry about it anymore. They have seen the last of the Pirate "train" coming through on this end of the county.....

phs1986 Wrote:I feel that YOU are not truely a dedicated 100% Pirate Fan

^Says the Phelps transplant. Smile

Seriously, this thread isn't about me, or you, or your opinion of me. Your words don't offend me one bit and you have every right to express them. Just know that you don't know what you're talking about with regards to my "true fan" status, or who you're talking to either for that matter. I guess your defense is to make it personal because I have a ligitimate criticism, but it doesn't offend me at all. I know it takes all kinds to make a fan base and I can live with that.

I earned my Pirates stipes a long long time ago. I have given a lot of blood, sweat and tears, not to mention time and money to the program and it is continual, not just a 4 year commitment. My support goes back far longer than you have even been around here, and I'm sure I will continue to do so for a long time after you have ceased.

You have taken my comments out of context. All you have seen is "hater" or maybe "complainer" I guess, and that seems to have put you on the defensive. That's not true at all. I would love to see everyone support the Pirates, but I want them to do it with class and with sportsmanship. I don't feel like the horn was always used in that manner because for whatever reason, it was allowed to go off DURING GAME PLAY twice during the playoffs. That was my ONLY complaint with it.

I'm glad you're busting your hump for the team, you deserve the pat on the back you're giving yourself, and then some. I applaud you. But don't look down your nose at other long time fans (many of us who have long since paid our dues doing the same things you are doing now) because you don't perceive us as doing as much as you.

As far as you shutting this thread down last night if you wanted to, I guess you could have. Hopefully though the good people of BGR wouldn't want the moderators to just shut down every thread that they don't like. That happens at other websites and I don't think BGR is like that at all. I don't think I have broken any rules with this thread and I have been respectful and to the point. I am still looking for answers about the KHSAA rules in regard to this matter and hopefully before this thread is done, somebody will get past all the personal jabs and post something that will help us all to learn what those answers are.

Thanks for allowing me the chance to contribute, I do appreciate it. Of course we aren't always going to agree, but at least we are allowed to disagree in a civil way instead of being kicked off or censored like happens on some message boards.

Buc-A-Roo
Buc-a-roo Wrote:^Says the Phelps transplant. Smile

Seriously, this thread isn't about me, or you, or your opinion of me. Your words don't offend me one bit and you have every right to express them. Just know that you don't know what you're talking about with regards to my "true fan" status, or who you're talking to either for that matter. I guess your defense is to make it personal because I have a ligitimate criticism, but it doesn't offend me at all. I know it takes all kinds to make a fan base and I can live with that.

I earned my Pirates stipes a long long time ago. I have given a lot of blood, sweat and tears, not to mention time and money to the program and it is continual, not just a 4 year commitment. My support goes back far longer than you have even been around here, and I'm sure I will continue to do so for a long time after you have ceased.

You have taken my comments out of context. All you have seen is "hater" or maybe "complainer" I guess, and that seems to have put you on the defensive. That's not true at all. I would love to see everyone support the Pirates, but I want them to do it with class and with sportsmanship. I don't feel like the horn was always used in that manner because for whatever reason, it was allowed to go off DURING GAME PLAY twice during the playoffs. That was my ONLY complaint with it.

I'm glad you're busting your hump for the team, you deserve the pat on the back you're giving yourself, and then some. I applaud you. But don't look down your nose at other long time fans (many of us who have long since paid our dues doing the same things you are doing now) because you don't perceive us as doing as much as you.

As far as you shutting this thread down last night if you wanted to, I guess you could have. Hopefully though the good people of BGR wouldn't want the moderators to just shut down every thread that they don't like. That happens at other websites and I don't think BGR is like that at all. I don't think I have broken any rules with this thread and I have been respectful and to the point. I am still looking for answers about the KHSAA rules in regard to this matter and hopefully before this thread is done, somebody will get past all the personal jabs and post something that will help us all to learn what those answers are.

Thanks for allowing me the chance to contribute, I do appreciate it. Of course we aren't always going to agree, but at least we are allowed to disagree in a civil way instead of being kicked off or censored like happens on some message boards.

Buc-A-Roo

Call me what you want.... I do it for THE KIDS!!!!!

phs1986 Wrote:Call me what you want.... I do it for THE KIDS!!!!!
It wasn't an insult, phs. You questioned my Belfry bloodline, I was pointing out the irony. Just a joke.
Buc-a-roo Wrote:It wasn't an insult, phs. You questioned my Belfry bloodline, I was pointing out the irony. Just a joke.

Granted, I love PHS.... Went to school all my life there and graduated from there. Those kids are also awesome. I work with them on a daily basis....

I have been going to Belfry games consistently for oh... I'd say about 16 years. Working them as well... BEFORE I even conceived my child! So, regardless of it being Belfry OR Phelps, when called upon, I am going to do my part to help the kids.

Dedication is perceived as you feel it in your heart. I have a dedication to BOTH schools and programs.

EKUAlum05 Wrote:phs,

I agree.. The horn is nice.. it should just be used tastefully..

After a TD or a FG, and at the end of the game is plenty..

no use to get mad over it.. keep using it.. just don't over use it.. thats all
Midee1 Wrote:She lost one the other day and she found it in her purse three or four days later.Smile
MY GOD, HOW BIG IS HER PURSE???
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:MY GOD, HOW BIG IS HER PURSE???

Almost as big as her butt.......:o
Midee1 Wrote:Almost as big as her butt.......:o

Where did I put that phone number............???????????

I'm sooooooo tellin on you for that one!!!!

LMAOSmile

Midee1 Wrote:Almost as big as her butt.......:o

I am sorry to hear about the cancellation of Christmas in your family this year.... Smile

(............because we all know there wont be any gifts under the tree for Midee now LOL)
phs1986 Wrote:Granted, I love PHS.... Went to school all my life there and graduated from there. Those kids are also awesome. I work with them on a daily basis....

I have been going to Belfry games consistently for oh... I'd say about 16 years. Working them as well... BEFORE I even conceived my child! So, regardless of it being Belfry OR Phelps, when called upon, I am going to do my part to help the kids.

Dedication is perceived as you feel it in your heart. I have a dedication to BOTH schools and programs.

Geeze, you are busy, sister. Work full time, work this site, everyday with Belfry AND Phelps kids. I thought I had it rough. It is what we do as moms. If it was an easy job, God would let men do it. Smile
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I am sorry to hear about the cancellation of Christmas in your family this year.... Smile

(............because we all know there wont be any gifts under the tree for Midee now LOL)

Nope, not after she gets her phone call. Hilarious! :lmao:
TeamMom Wrote:Geeze, you are busy, sister. Work full time, work this site, everyday with Belfry AND Phelps kids. I thought I had it rough. It is what we do as moms. If it was an easy job, God would let men do it. Smile

Yep, I sure am and I LOVE every minute of it!!!

If i am in the stands and somebody uses a device repectively then it adds to the atmosphere. On the other side it can be a real pain when you got some "What to do" with a happy trigger finger ! If they offend me as a fan then i will extend my constructive critisism to them in a polite manner. If they do not comply then there are options. Usually when you got one fan offended it is contagious and majority rules!!
I really don't see a problem with it. Yeah I understand whistles, but that's about it. Noisemakers have always been a part of it. For example, at the Tulsa-Pike Central game a while back, a Tulsa fan had a ridiculously loud air horn, and they had hundreds of cowbells. Its all part of the fun. And besides, you can be just as loud screaming and stomping when done en mass, so I don't see the issue, as long as the privilege isn't abused.
I really dont like this rule.