Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
16th region Middle School Basketball
I was just wondering how some of the teams were doing here in the region. I know that McKell 7th grade is 2-0, but the 8th grade is 0-2. How is Wurtland, Raceland, etc. Would like to keep up with some Middle school games. Anyone know anything else?
Russell 7th and 8th have only lost to RoseHill, our 6th grade has not lost. They are 8-0, they beat East Carter tonight 34-22, I think that was the score, the starter only played about 8 minutes of the game.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Wurtland 6th has lost to Russell away (by 13) and Elliott Co. away (by 25ish, this is one tough little team, especially out there). We've beaten McKell's 6th and East Carter 6th at home by 20ish each pulling our starters early to get ready for 7th grade game. Wurtland 7th (same team as 6th grade but adding 1 7th grader that plays much) lost at Russell (by 10) and lost at Elliott Co. (by 11), and lost to McKell at home (25ish), beat East Carter by a few points (under 10) at home also. Wurtland's 8th is 3-1 having lost to Russell away and beating East Carter at home, McKell at home and Elliott Co. away.

We play at East Carter tonight, at Fairview Thursday, and at Raceland Saturday. All 6th, 7th and 8th. This is the 6th graders first year together as a combined team instead of the 4 elementary school teams where they played against each other. They have talent but its taking time for them to get know each other. This will be a totally different team in January. 10 of the 12 boys on the 7th grade team are these 6th graders and most of them are still 11 year olds. Its a great learning experience for them to be able to play 2 games a night and play up so much against better competition and still be competative. Only will help in the future.
We play at East Carter tonight, at Fairview Thursday, and at Raceland Saturday. All 6th, 7th and 8th. This is the 6th graders first year together as a combined team instead of the 4 elementary school teams where they played against each other. They have talent but its taking time for them to get know each other. This will be a totally different team in January. 10 of the 12 boys on the 7th grade team are these 6th graders and most of them are still 11 year olds. Its a great learning experience for them to be able to play 2 games a night and play up so much against better competition and still be competative. Only will help in the future.[/QUOTE]

If 10 of 12 players are 6th graders on the 7th grade team what happen to the true 7th graders ?:confused: I'm not saying this is the case but it would be a shame for those boys being forced out so the 6th graders can move up and can play 2 games.Just curious:confused:
At Wurtland Middle this year we only had 2 7th graders (and one of the 2 is a very young 7th grader, could be in 6th) that wanted to play basketball. We have at least a dozen 6th graders and a dozen or so 8th graders but the 7th grade class was just an unusually weak class in athletics, and its a shame because this is at a fairly good size middle school. On the opposite end of the spectrum, McKell Middle, the other Greenup Co. middle school actually had tryouts just to get down to 13 players in 7th grade and they have a good team.
Russell 6th grade is the same way, we only had 18 kids try out for 12 slots. Our 7th grade had 42 kids try out for 12 slots. We know how that is to on both ends of the spectrum.
Greenup Wurtland has some very good talent and yes they will be a different team at the end of the year....... I expect them to be the team in the running at the end.....other than us of course LOL....
Gotya Steelermatt
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Talked with someone today @ McKell and they said after the first week, 7th grade small school was McKell,Elliott, and Lewis Co all undefeated. 8th grade was Wurtland and Lewis Co. undefeated. I know that Lewis and Elliott 7th grades are very good, I have saw them 2 teams play b4. McKell 7th not bad. Wurtland 8th grade is pretty good, not sure about Lewis 8th grade. Not sure who beat Raceland 8th grade, they should be pretty good, they got Wurtland's best 8th grader from last year and he was heldback there @ Raceland.
Russell has only lost to RoseHill in 7th and 8th. the 6th plays Rosehill this Saturday. Russell is really good this year and they have NO HOLDBACKS playing and two 8th grAders playing Varsity Ball with Skaggs as a starter for varsity.......
Wurtland plays Verity at home and Lewis Co. away 7th and 8th next week. Will both be tough games for us.
Steelermatt Wrote:Wurtland plays Verity at home and Lewis Co. away 7th and 8th next week. Will both be tough games for us.

Yes, this will be tough games for Wurtland, I think Wurtland has a better chance to beat Verity 7th grade than 8th, but Wurtland should beat Lewis 8th, as I hear they are not as talented in basketball in the 8th grade. Wurtland should match up well in all 4 games.
Lewis co 8th grade beat Raceland 8th Monday nite. And what do you mean the 8th grade in Lewis does not have talent?? They have only lost 1 game so far to East Carter.
Betsy Layne's Dylan Hamilton and he is followed by to very good athletes Chase Hall and Tyler Daniels.
bob-cater Wrote:Betsy Layne's Dylan Hamilton and he is followed by to very good athletes Chase Hall and Tyler Daniels.

What?
whateverfloats Wrote:Lewis co 8th grade beat Raceland 8th Monday nite. And what do you mean the 8th grade in Lewis does not have talent?? They have only lost 1 game so far to East Carter.

Actually they also got beat pretty bad against ashland verity. your right they have talent but it is going to take a while for them to get caught back up since most of them sat the bench for the most part last year and it was uncalled for.that may make some mad with that being said but it happened.
BMSPirateMom #11 Wrote:What?

They are some good 8th graders with good sportsmanship:igiveup: .
Is Betsy Layne in the 16th region Middle School Basketball ?
bob-cater Wrote:They are some good 8th graders with good sportsmanship:igiveup: .

Yes, but what has that got to do with this thread?
Boyd Co. 8th beat Raceland 8th. 41-40(OT)

Zack Patton(21) and Dylan Harris(10) combined for 31 points.

We play Russell today.
Wurtland 6th beat East Carter 6th away Tuesday (by 9) and Fairview 6th away Thursday (38-30). Both games we were up double digits, pulled starters and the games got within 4 with under 2 min. to go. Had to bring back starters (who we try to rest for 7th grade games if possible) to finish. The 7th lost to East Carter away (around 10) and beat Fairview away (20ish, game started 17-0).

So the 6th is now 4-2 and the 7th is now 2-4.

Raceland was scheduled for today (Sat.) 6th, 7th and 8th but was cancelled and rescheduled.

Verity Monday at home (7th and 8th)

Lewis County Thursday away (6th, 7th and 8th)
Steelermatt Wrote:Wurtland 6th beat East Carter 6th away Tuesday (by 9) and Fairview 6th away Thursday (38-30). Both games we were up double digits, pulled starters and the games got within 4 with under 2 min. to go. Had to bring back starters (who we try to rest for 7th grade games if possible) to finish. The 7th lost to East Carter (around 10) and beat Fairview (20ish, game started 17-0).

So the 6th is now 4-2 and the 7th is now 2-4.

Raceland was scheduled for today (Sat.) 6th, 7th and 8th but was cancelled and rescheduled.

Verity Monday at home (7th and 8th)

Lewis County Thursday away (6th, 7th and 8th)

How good is Wurtland 8th grade?
They are pretty good. Unlike the 7th grade team where we are mostly 6th graders, they have plenty of kids so their all 8th graders. Going on the games i have stayed for they should be 4-2 having lost to Russell away and East Carter away. They have beaten Elliott away, McKell at home, East Carter at home and Fairview away (believe they won, they were up 10 or so at half). They are a pretty athletic team that likes to run the court.
dorton basketball is a little bad this year but our 7th grade team is better than our 8th
valley all the way Wrote:dorton basketball is a little bad this year but our 7th grade team is better than our 8th

Is Dorton in the 16th?:confused:
Any other results? or have they all been cancelled due to weather??
Any games??
Morgan Co. is not that bad.
Wurtland 6th beat Lewis Co. at Lewis last night by 15ish pts. Lewis 7th beat Wurtland 7th by 12 or so. Not sure about 8th grade, was 2-0 Wurtland when i left.

Wutland is back at home tonight playing West Carter 6th, 7th and 8th in a makeup game.
Wurtland 6th started slow, but was able to take control late 1st half and continued into the 2nd half for somewhat of an easy W. I thought Wurtland 7th played as good as they have all year but still lost, Lewis 7th has a couple nice players and was hard for Wurtland to gaurd. Wurtland won the 8th game mainly because to big and strong, although LC made a run in the 4th and cut the lead to 6or7 before Wurtland closed them out.
Wurtland 8th manhandled Lewis 8th. Lewis need to play better deWink fense.
I didnt think that BL is in the 16th region, but they do have a solid starting 5