Poll: What was our founding fathers intentions in regards to Christianity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
To persuade others to follow Christianity and our country be ruled by it.
0%
Our country to be open to all beliefs and have no decisions made based on religious beliefs.
35.71%
Free to worship any religion, no religion in govt.
21.43%
Christianity the backbone of our nation, asylum for others to worship as they see fit.
42.86%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did our founding fathers intend?
What do you think was the intention of our founding fathers in regards to Christianity and our Country/Govt?
I think to our country this is one of the most pressing social issues of our govt at this time. I believe that we as a country need to come to terms with how we feel we should move on from this point in time with regards to Christianity and the role of it in our Govt.

I believe it would settle quite a few disputes over policies and set a standard for future disputes.

I would like to see how most people feel about this certain topic, before I begin posting why I believe what I believe.

To me there are 2 options. One being we need to stick with what the founding fathers intended. Or we need to throw everything out the window and start over. To me judging from what Ive read and discussed I believe those are our two options. Lets see where everyone else sides on this.
You can see the way I voted because you made this a public poll for some reason, but I can't argue it as good as the founding fathers themselves, so I'll just post some quotes pertaining to the topic by none other than some of the Founding Fathers themselves.

The exact phrase was first used in Thomas Jefferson's Letter to the Danbury Baptists, explaining the decision to seperate state and religion:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man and his God, that he owes account to none other for is faith or his worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church and State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties."

"The civil Government, though bereft of everything like an associated hierarchy, possesses the requisite stability, and performs its functions with complete success, whilst the number, the industry, and the morality of the priesthood, and the devotion of the people, have been manifestly increased by the total separation of the church from the State." (1819). -James Madison

"Congress should not establish a religion and enforce the legal observation of it by law, nor compel men to worship God in any manner contrary to their conscience, or that one sect might obtain a pre-eminence, or two combined together, and establish a religion to which they would compel others to conform" (Madison, Annals of Congress, 1789).

"We should begin by setting conscience free. When all men of all religions ... shall enjoy equal liberty, property, and an equal chance for honors and power ... we may expect that improvements will be made in the human character and the state of society." (John Adams)

"As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of government to protect all conscientious protesters thereof, and I know of no other business government has to do therewith." (Thomas Paine, the Rights of Man)

"I am persuaded, you will permit me to observe that the path of true piety is so plain as to require but little political direction. To this consideration we ought to ascribe the absence of any regulation, respecting religion, from the Magna-Charta [Constitution] of our country" (George Washington, 1789).

"That religion, or the duty we owe to our Creator, and the manner of discharging it, can be directed only by reason and conviction, not by force or violence; and therefore all men are equally entitled to the free exercise of religion, according to the dictates of conscience."
(Patrick Henry)

So as you can see I believe they intended for a complete separation of Church and State, at least the most influential members did. But that is just my 2 cents.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hey I agree with your quotes whole heartedly. Most of which pertain to the fact that we should not force any religion upon anyone. Nor should we restrict the right of anyone to worship as they see fit for any of their religions. As long as it is not a danger to the public. IE: Human sacrifices and such.

However, that does not pertain to the role of Christianity in our Govt's decision making. Ill give you a small tidbit for now, but there are thousands of quotes and documents you can read that will proove to you and others that the full intention of our founding fathers was for this country to be a Christian nation that does not force itself upon other religions, and guarantees asylum to those wish to worship as they please.

Alexander Hamilton:
• Hamilton began work with the Rev. James Bayard to form the Christian Constitutional Society to help spread over the world the two things which Hamilton said made America great:
(1) Christianity
(2) a Constitution formed under Christianity.
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”
The very breakdown of our govt. The one thing that really set it apart at that time was the role of the three branches. The checks and balances. Where did that idea stem from? Why was it used?

The three branches of the U.S. Government: Judicial, Legislative, Executive
• At the Constitutional Convention of 1787, James Madison proposed the plan to divide the central government into three branches. He discovered this model of government from the Perfect Governor, as he read Isaiah 33:22;
“For the LORD is our judge,
the LORD is our lawgiver,
the LORD is our king;
He will save us.”

George Washington:
“ It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”
The Founding Fathers wanted a government based on separation of state and religion, and freedom to worship as one pleased.

Governmental decisions should not be based on religion. How could they really, there's so many different beliefs and intrepretations, even within the Christian community itself. But there's also many more religious beliefs in our ever changing and diverse nation today that it would be difficult to not have a doctrine of separation of religion and state. I think our forefathers saw the future and the change it held for our great nation nd wrote an elastic document to change along with it, amendments and all.
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:The Founding Fathers wanted a government based on separation of state and religion, and freedom to worship as one pleased.

Governmental decisions should not be based on religion. How could they really, there's so many different beliefs and intrepretations, even within the Christian community itself. But there's also many more religious beliefs in our ever changing and diverse nation today that it would be difficult to not have a doctrine of separation of religion and state. I think our forefathers saw the future and the change it held for our great nation nd wrote an elastic document to change along with it, amendments and all.

I'm just going by the actions they took and what they have said. you base your judgments on seperation of church and state although nowhere in any document is that said. To try and deny that the founding fathers wanted Christianity the be the guiding light by which we goverened our country is to totally just ignore the facts that are out there. They knew there would be more than the religion of Christianity here, and they made certain that those who worshipped differently would not be persecuted for doing so. The constitution is not meant to be an ever changing document. Occassioanlly a new amendment may need to be added. Very rarely. Its not the type of thing you can change on an annual basis to suit the needs of a current group in charge of our country. If that is so then there was very little need for it in the first place.

John Jay

(America's first Supreme Court Chief Justice and Co-Author of the Federalist Papers)
October 12, 1816 "Providence has given to our people the choice of their rulers, and it is the duty, as well as the privilege and interest of our Christian nation to select and prefer Christians for their rulers.
Is it not possible to anchor codified law in Judaeo/Christian ethics, while at the same time preserving freedom of conscience as a sacred principle of a Constitutional democracy?
They believed in a seperation of Church and State because of what they had to go through over in Europe in which the church had as much authority (if not more) than the state.
guyfawkes Wrote:They believed in a seperation of Church and State because of what they had to go through over in Europe in which the church had as much authority (if not more) than the state.

That is not true, what they wanted was that the govt can't recognize a church or religion as an official govt, because that is where the Kings got their power from. Their so called ordained power given by birth right. They wanted to ensure that it stayed a govt of the people for the people, and not let one small group or family of tyrants be able to take control.

They very much so intended for Christianity to be part of the govt, but it not be forced on anyone. If you honestly think the founding fathers would be happy with where this country is at right now based on the efforts to try and remove God and Jesus from everything, you'd be mistaken. Id say you'd have some more tea floating in Boston Harbor.
Beetle01 Wrote:That is not true, what they wanted was that the govt can't recognize a church or religion as an official govt, because that is where the Kings got their power from. Their so called ordained power given by birth right. They wanted to ensure that it stayed a govt of the people for the people, and not let one small group or family of tyrants be able to take control.

They very much so intended for Christianity to be part of the govt, but it not be forced on anyone. If you honestly think the founding fathers would be happy with where this country is at right now based on the efforts to try and remove God and Jesus from everything, you'd be mistaken. Id say you'd have some more tea floating in Boston Harbor.

Whether it be a tyrannical king or a mass called "the majority," freedom can be, and often is, threatened by both. In a public school, kids can go into the restroom, find a stall, and pray (in keeping with the teaching of jesus). Each day, the House of Representatives and Senate is opened by a guest prayer. All over the place, we drive by churches with signs touting Christian sayings and cute slogans. And on and on and on. Freedom of religion, of which Christianity is certainly a large benefactor, thrives in our culture.
Beetle01 Wrote:Hey I agree with your quotes whole heartedly. Most of which pertain to the fact that we should not force any religion upon anyone. Nor should we restrict the right of anyone to worship as they see fit for any of their religions. As long as it is not a danger to the public. IE: Human sacrifices and such.

However, that does not pertain to the role of Christianity in our Govt's decision making. Ill give you a small tidbit for now, but there are thousands of quotes and documents you can read that will proove to you and others that the full intention of our founding fathers was for this country to be a Christian nation that does not force itself upon other religions, and guarantees asylum to those wish to worship as they please.

Alexander Hamilton:
• Hamilton began work with the Rev. James Bayard to form the Christian Constitutional Society to help spread over the world the two things which Hamilton said made America great:
(1) Christianity
(2) a Constitution formed under Christianity.
“The Christian Constitutional Society, its object is first: The support of the Christian religion. Second: The support of the United States.”

Alexander Hamilton was probably the biggest jerk of the founding fathers.