Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prestonsburg 83 Magoffin 12
now now gang
VARSITY PLAYED first quarter and part of 2nd....coach d started pulling his started about half way through 2nd quarter and put 2 FRESHMAN running backs in the game....at the half it was 63-7.....and freshman/jv played more than varsity did......I think this is enough talking about running up the score tongiht......ashland beat pburg 55 9 pville onside kicked it twice beat us 42 21.......THE game is over lets stop talking about it......this is HS football.....let them play....if you was playing for the coachand he told you the plays would u be like no coach I FEEL SORRY for them idont wanna score......NO I THINK NOT......so the players done what was told i guess......but i talked to all the varsity guys and non of them was tired..b/c the JV/freshman played........
It is sad that you mention 2 games where you believe Prestonsburg was treating with a lack of unsportsmanship: a 55-9 victory by Ashland and a 42-21 victory by Pikeville. A total of 67 points that Prestonsburg was defeated by. Yet you find no unsportsmanship when Prestonsburg beats a team by a margin of 71 points.
HOW many people on here attended tonights game?

I was there all game, and I know the "DONT STOP CLOCK RULE" only takes place in 2nd half......but I was wanting it to start in the 1st half to get it over faster....Tribe you say work on your passing game.....well some other poster on here said dont pass run between tackles...I think the 1st quarter/ part of 2nd quarter we could of scored on the 1st play of every drive but we didnt....we took time and when we would break one for a TD magoffin couldnt respond....... magoffin did run a 90 yard kick return back on prestonsburgs varsity.....magoffin just needs time to develope.....they dont have enough kids playing and lack of experience
yes it does sound bad BUT no one was at the game all they are going by are scores...I WAS AT THE GAME.....
im telling you all magoffin is just to small to compete with any team in our district.....tomcat how many you think ashland would put up on magoffin?.......14 maybe 21?
why dont we all move to the pikeville phelps thread and pick on pikeville for beating them 60-0 AT LEAST MAGOFFIN DID SCORE......
Feel free to look up the record books. Magoffin Co. used to be a part of our district. And of the games I know, we've never placed of score like that.
congrats P-burg...........
football05 Wrote:im telling you all magoffin is just to small to compete with any team in our district.....tomcat how many you think ashland would put up on magoffin?.......14 maybe 21?

Well Ashland played a very undermanned and outskilled Greenup County team. A Greenup County team who was beaten by Rowan County 36-0 last week. Ashland managed to control the score with a very conservative gameplan winning the game 35-14
we all going to move to the pikeville phelps thread? im willing?..........
ashland couldnt play conservative with prestonsburg? whats the difference?
I saw a feel good story on espn where two coachs agreed to allow a handicapped student to score a touchdown in a varsity game. I dont think money was involved.
It was just a class thing to do.
It is difficult sometimes to see the big picture, that was my point. I have on both sides of 80 point wins
and trust me I didnt care for either of them.
When you are known as a power in football as Pburg has been and then to have such a disappointing season then I understand them wanting to build a little spirit befor this coming weekend.
Trust me if the pirates did a number on the cats like this I would comment about them as well.
football05 Wrote:ashland couldnt play conservative with prestonsburg? whats the difference?

That early in the season Prestonsburg was still projected to be a much better team than has become apparent that they are. Prestonsburg's early season struggles could have been due to a simple slow start on the season or the team needing to gel.

I believe it was you football05 who commented on the other thread about my suggestions for preventing a "running up the score" type situation. If what you said there was true then I do not believe it was a running up of the score. It was just simply 2 teams on completely different tiers of playing levels.

But, I'm finished with this thread.
Congrats to Prestonsburg on their first win of the season.
Good Luck against Belfry this week.
yes im finsihed as well.....i just dont understand why everyone says pburg ran up the score when pikeville won by 60 pts and didnt let the other team score.....
I have a question. How is it that P-burg can put up 83 points against Magoffin while Belfry only puts up 45? Supposedly both teams had their JV and freshman in for most of the game. My point is this. Belfry has without a doubt had the better program over the last three years. Correct!! If P-burg's subs are that much better than Belfrys, then why in the world has P-burg not been able to beat Belfry lately. Its the same story every year for P-burg. RUN IT UP on the overmatched opponent. To answer my own question, I guess Haywood has some magical formula he uses to avoid disgracing opponents who are inferior to his Belfry teams. My oh my, how it would be nice if Derossett could somehow learn some class. Im sorry people, but if the two-time defending state champs can find a way to not embarass a less talented team then you would think a team that was 0-5 could find a way to do the same. I never want to wish bad things on a fellow mountain team but if there was any way Haywood could find it in his heart to really lay a big number on P-burg next week I would turn my head and honestly act like I seen nothing wrong with it. But this isnt what Coach Philip Haywood is all about. Class is beneath Coach Derossett, while CLASS doesnt even begin to describe Coach Haywood. Go Belfry, put up a big number next week for all the "little" schools out there who like to see coaches reap what they sow.
You guys on here are hilarious. You talk about Prestonsburg showing no class but everyone wants Belfry to beat Prestonsburg by the same margin. That's real "classy". But hey if Belfry is good enough to beat Prestonsburg by that much then I say go for it, but it's not gonna be that easy. This is Belfry/Prestonsburg, it will be a game no matter how bad you Belfry folk want it not to be.
To answer your question clubber, P-burg's JV or Freshman are undefeated this year beating some quality teams. P-burg put their younger players in early last night. If you were a freshman and it was your first time in a varsity game, wouldn't you try to score? I believe you would cuz it's a big accomplishment. I don't care who you are or where your from, you don't just lay down and let people tackle you because your winning.
Sorry Blackcatfan4life, your JV and Freshmen squads are not undefeated. I do believe they have lost to Perry County Central (read Fridays Floyd County Times) and West Jessamine. They do however according to what I have read have impressive records with only a few losses.
Oh I heard somewhere else that they were. My mistake. But anyways we do have a good JV and Freshman team. Smile
blackcatfan4life Wrote:You guys on here are hilarious. You talk about Prestonsburg showing no class but everyone wants Belfry to beat Prestonsburg by the same margin. That's real "classy". But hey if Belfry is good enough to beat Prestonsburg by that much then I say go for it, but it's not gonna be that easy. This is Belfry/Prestonsburg, it will be a game no matter how bad you Belfry folk want it not to be.
To answer your question clubber, P-burg's JV or Freshman are undefeated this year beating some quality teams. P-burg put their younger players in early last night. If you were a freshman and it was your first time in a varsity game, wouldn't you try to score? I believe you would cuz it's a big accomplishment. I don't care who you are or where your from, you don't just lay down and let people tackle you because your winning.

I have said many times......Belfry/Prestonsburg will always be a battle no matter which team has the better record. You can throw it all out cause it means nothing.....This is always and will be another Pirate/Blackcat war.......
WOW Wrote:So tell us when did Pburg pull their varsity starters--

A previous post on BGR says they only played one series of downs in second half, but another post also shows a halftime score of 63-6(?). So who did all the scoring, Varsity or JV?
The varsity.....p-burg is very misleading about when they put in the JV....my child....played and I was on the sideline so I know very well when they took out the starters and as I preview the tape today I will post exactly at what time they put in the JV. They made minor substitutions but they did not take out the A team until the score was 63-7.
Confusedhithappe the score no way oh well at less they got their win.

congrats blackcats
Okay everyone, I was at the game, and I am again watching the game right now on one of P-burgs local TV channels and I can count at least 2 or 3 touchdowns made by Seth Setser, a FRESHMAN. Another touchdown by Blake Meade, a FRESHMAN, and then another touchdown made by Austin Gearheart, another FRESHMAN! It is not their fault for wanting to score touchdowns, if a freshman can score against Magoffin then it isn't their fault, what do you want them to do?! Just jog down the feild hoping to get tackled so they won't get a TD?
catsfan072 Wrote:Okay everyone, I was at the game, and I am again watching the game right now on one of P-burgs local TV channels and I can count at least 2 or 3 touchdowns made by Seth Setster, a FRESHMAN. Another touchdown by Blake Meade, a FRESHMAN, and then another touchdown made by Austin Gearheart, another FRESHMAN! It is not their fault for wanting to score touchdowns, if a freshman can score against Magoffin then it isn't their fault, what do you want them to do?! Just jog down the feild hoping to get tackled so they won't get a TD?

yes jp nah good win for p-burg I guess everyone thought that the coach just ran the score up to get known and not to be kept quiet on the game. But he did'nt W is W Lost is a lost so lets let em get ready for nextweek.
tomcatnation Wrote:yes jp nah good win for p-burg I guess everyone thought that the coach just ran the score up to get known and not to be kept quiet on the game. But he did'nt W is W Lost is a lost so lets let em get ready for nextweek.
:Thumbs:
i usally wont say this but i am apart of the magoffin teams and i played all 4 quarter all this talk about jv or varsity. i saw both. when i was on defense in the forth i saw the same guy i saw on the first play. and i saw the same defesnse that was on in th 1st quarter
Guys the biggest problem that I see is that you need to have class when coaching. Derosett hasn't really ever showed that he has much and that goes for the Pburg program as a whole over most of the 25 or more years that I've watched the program. When we had Chuke Williams in Louisa we were pretty much in the same boat. He would run it as high as possible and then pay for it later when playing tougher teams. We won't mention where he use to coach. It's just the history of the Pburg program doing likewise things like this to teams for years. I don't care about the exact details of who played when last night the program has to have enough class not to do it. Make sure you use the entire play clock on every play, don't go out of bounds try some players at different positions to get them experience so that they can back your starters up if necessary. This isn't the only thread with a score that I've jumped on. It didn't matter that it was Pburg it just didn't surprise me that it was. Lawrence County and Belfry have had some very tense moments over the years but 99% of the time when Belfry isn't playing Lawrence I'm pulling for them and thats mainly due to Haywood. And thats also why when a team has the chance to do the same to Belfry they won't unless that team would be Pburg and they certainly would. About the only time I can say that I pull for Pburg is if they're the only team left from East Ky in their class. I can't stand some of the teams in our district but I pull for them most weeks because for the most part I respect the coaching staffs on those teams. In years past I haven't felt that way especially towards Ashland. That was mainly due to them shooting off their cannon right beside an injuried player from LC while he was being placed in an ambulance. When APB has ran up the score on Lawrence it hasn't really bothered me that much because I knew we would most likely be able to rebound in the next year or so and pay them back. But when you do it to a team that hasn't had and doesn't look like they will have the chance to do the same I just can't see the point. If you want respect you MUST EARN RESPECT. PBURG has yet to earn that and I think it's pretty apparent from the reactions of the people on this site in the past few hours. As for the Pburg players congrats on the victory and I hope for you that your season turns around. Now for the coaching staff its just the same ole same Pburg tradition why don't you try to change that and start showing the class that we should be teaching the players. I hope I haven't made anyone mad stating this but this is just IMO and shouldn't represent the feelings of anyone else on this board. Pburg if you end up representing East Ky deep in the playoffs I'll be pulling for you. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OUR TEAMS FROM EAST KY.
CatDawg Wrote:Guys the biggest problem that I see is that you need to have class when coaching. Derosett hasn't really ever showed that he has much and that goes for the Pburg program as a whole over most of the 25 or more years that I've watched the program. When we had Chuke Williams in Louisa we were pretty much in the same boat. He would run it as high as possible and then pay for it later when playing tougher teams. We won't mention where he use to coach. It's just the history of the Pburg program doing likewise things like this to teams for years. I don't care about the exact details of who played when last night the program has to have enough class not to do it. Make sure you use the entire play clock on every play, don't go out of bounds try some players at different positions to get them experience so that they can back your starters up if necessary. This isn't the only thread with a score that I've jumped on. It didn't matter that it was Pburg it just didn't surprise me that it was. Lawrence County and Belfry have had some very tense moments over the years but 99% of the time when Belfry isn't playing Lawrence I'm pulling for them and thats mainly due to Haywood. And thats also why when a team has the chance to do the same to Belfry they won't unless that team would be Pburg and they certainly would. About the only time I can say that I pull for Pburg is if they're the only team left from East Ky in their class. I can't stand some of the teams in our district but I pull for them most weeks because for the most part I respect the coaching staffs on those teams. In years past I haven't felt that way especially towards Ashland. That was mainly due to them shooting off their cannon right beside an injuried player from LC while he was being placed in an ambulance. When APB has ran up the score on Lawrence it hasn't really bothered me that much because I knew we would most likely be able to rebound in the next year or so and pay them back. But when you do it to a team that hasn't had and doesn't look like they will have the chance to do the same I just can't see the point. If you want respect you MUST EARN RESPECT. PBURG has yet to earn that and I think it's pretty apparent from the reactions of the people on this site in the past few hours. As for the Pburg players congrats on the victory and I hope for you that your season turns around. Now for the coaching staff its just the same ole same Pburg tradition why don't you try to change that and start showing the class that we should be teaching the players. I hope I haven't made anyone mad stating this but this is just IMO and shouldn't represent the feelings of anyone else on this board. Pburg if you end up representing East Ky deep in the playoffs I'll be pulling for you. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OUR TEAMS FROM EAST KY.
Good post CD. I can't say that I disagree with anything that you said. DeRossett really hasn't shown much class, and probably never will. And I completely understand why people don't like P-burg cuz it can be quite obvious sometimes. But one thing I have to say is that last night they really didn't run it up. They had a rolling clock the whole 2nd half so it didn;t matter if they ran out of bounds or whatever cuz the clock didn't stop. Prestonsburg threw the ball probably 3 times all night long. Never threw it once after halftime. It was Magoffin that tried passing all night causing the clock to stop after every incomplete pass (1st half of course). I heard every name that was on the roster last night for P-burg and that's the way it should be in a game like this. We can't help it that our freshman can dominate someones varsity squad. It wasn't intended, I can assure you that. :Thumbs:
I totally understand. Like I said due to the coach you expect it and when you see it you jump on it. Sometimes it's really hard but if you have respect that someone like Haywood has most of those on this board wouldn't have thought twice about it. It's really hard to overcome your history especially when you don't try and then something like this happens whether it was meant last night or not.
Didnt the Setser kid start? i heard his name alot and if he is only a freshman he is a excellent player. But as Fatman said i also did see some of the starters from def in in the fourth. Magoffin is loosing players. Tonight you could barely tell that they had a bench. And the score was like 63-7 at half. And Pburg didnt take out most of the starters till after that.