Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Tennis Tournament 2009
Since Eric Quigley has moved on to UK with his tennis career after winning many state tennis titles who will be the next person to step up and win the state boys tennis title this year?
The tournament is wide open this year!!!! There is NO clear favorite!
I would agree! There are many very good players and the seeding will play a role. The returning guys from last years tourney, such as Max Gold and Aaron Wicker would have to be two of my favorites at this point. But there are so many variables that come into play that it is really wide open. There is no dominant player like Quigley. Should be interesting!
Colby Shaw and Will Davis have been pretty competitive. I believe that Wicker beat Shaw 7-5,7-5, in Creason. He beat one of them by those scores.
Kids in Louisville and Lex have such an advantage with the indoor courts and players to compete with compared to our kids in E KY. I have heard that an indoor tennis facility with two courts will be built where the Sportsplex is in Knott County. This should be completed by summer. This will help our area and kids. Anyone else hear about this?
I don't know why we can't get a grant to build a facility like the Ashland Tennis Center in the 15th Region. You would think that they money could be found among the many sources out there. But yes, it is tough for our kids to practice year round without driving to Ashland, Huntington or Lexington. And even the ones that do travel somewhat, it is not the same as driving across town every night like in Lexington, Louisville or Ashland.
Nathan Martin will step in and win. He hasn't lost a regional match in 5 years and he's only lost in state...
I hear he's gonna step in an take Eric Quigly's spot at UK.
Wouldn't care to see it happen, but ...... wishful thinking!
Johnson Central currently has some Tennis Courts soon to be under construction. I hear the courts will be behind the baseball field... hopefully we get them done soon I am thinking about going to some tennis meets this year. Also, I hope it is indoors, that would make it amazing.
I seriously doubt they will be getting indoor courts.
That would be great though.
Yeah it would be nice if any team had indoor courts but I wouldn't count on it. The tennis budgets at most schools rank rather low. JC will be lucky if they even get enough courts to hold a match that won't take 8 hours.
nathan martin = no. 1
but thats my opinion
the kid is unbelievable...
he will surprise the state competition this year
Agreed Nathan Martin is a great tennis player and will win state...
steve.hunt.13 Wrote:Agreed Nathan Martin is a great tennis player and will win state...

I agree that Nathan is a great tennis player! And I would even go as far as to say he can compete at state. But to win the state title is a long shot. Have you guys ever been to a state tennis tourney? Do you know the level of the competition that is found in the Lex/Lou area? Most players from EKY rarely get past the 1st round.

But I wish the best for Nathan this year. With him being older and with Quigley gone, maybe he can go deep in the running! Good luck!
tennisfan Wrote:Kids in Louisville and Lex have such an advantage with the indoor courts and players to compete with compared to our kids in E KY. I have heard that an indoor tennis facility with two courts will be built where the Sportsplex is in Knott County. This should be completed by summer. This will help our area and kids. Anyone else hear about this?

To tell the truth ive heard that as well and I am very anxious to see if it follows through.