Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Makes the Decision @ Your School...
when to find a new cheer coach? Why should a school's administrator consider making a cheer coach change? What is your school's policy for making that decision?

It has always been my contention that a school's administration should CARE as much about who is coaching their cheer squads as they do about their football, basketball, and baseball teams. I believe the cheer coach should bring as much to the table as they possibly can, as far as knowledge of the sport, Experience, credentials within the sport, LOVE OF THE SPORT etc... the girls on each squad have a limited amount of time and cheer leading is a serious financial obligation on the part of the cheer leader's family. (for instance: if the coach isn't going to make gymnastics a serious point value in the determination of a squad, then do not make the payment of gymnastics a priority for the members during the year... this might also be discussed in the "potential" thread....Wink )
I believe a cheer coach should actually be a teacher within the school system they are coaching & not a "sub", not a cafeteria chick, not an administrative assistant... but an actual teacher. This should be a criteria for every sport and not just cheer.

Let's remember that girls cheer because they LOVE the sport they work hard because they LOVE the sport and they are being short changed if a school's administrator allows anyone to coach its cheer team, if less than qualified or to "honor" some half-baked obligation as a favor to anyone.
... what about a librarian? I plan on eventually a masters in Library Science (bachelors in Elem. Edu.) and being a librarian, but I'd still love to coach. But I do agree with you.

I think the school administrators and athletic directors should ultimately make a decision.
If you have a staff member who shows that they have the dedication, time, and want to put forth the effort to work extra HARD on weekends, week nights, every day, day in and day out then have a site base meeting AFTER the candidate has put in a request to be the "sponsor" or "coach". Of course, it must be cleared through the BOE and they, if you are not a full time teacher but a sub with 64 college credit hours, have on record your credit hours and application.

I coached a couple of years ago and loved every minute of it!!! It is a lot of work but I had a ton of help also.

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I agree that it should be a board employee, but sometimes nobody wants the squad, and a more qualified person who would put in the time and has the knowledge should have a chance as well. I agree, it shouldn't be just anyone. I think if the person has the experience, knowledge, and will to do it, and if no one in the school system wants a team, then they should be allowed to coach. Some of the best coaches I know that have coached in schools have not been school employees.

But to answer your question, I have no idea who decides. I'm guessing it is a combo of the administrators and the superintendent. Usually, only one person wants it, and they get it.
*Central_Cheer_Chick Wrote:... what about a librarian? I plan on eventually a masters in Library Science (bachelors in Elem. Edu.) and being a librarian, but I'd still love to coach. But I do agree with you.

I think the school administrators and athletic directors should ultimately make a decision.

My cheerleading coach is a librarian and she is awesome
The Board makes the decisions but I think it doesn't really have to be a teacher...anyone who has the desire and initiative to coach should be able to do so.
Magoffin had a really good cheer coach in Angie Skaggs, but some old school politics got in the way, and someone complained about her husband being the principal at the high school. I think its mostly the school board who has control on when to hire a new coach.
smokey.blue Wrote:Magoffin had a really good cheer coach in Angie Skaggs, but some old school politics got in the way, and someone complained about her husband being the principal at the high school. I think its mostly the school board who has control on when to hire a new coach.
I don't know how it works in all schools, but at Allen Central the Basketball coach was picked by the principal. So it is simply who she likes.
well I think that a cheer coach should be picked by her experience..and I believe the site base should pick that person....
I believe all cheer coaches should have SOME experience coaching if you don't then all schools shouls have a sign that says..." No experience Need Not to Apply" Also I think schools should make sure all coaches are aware of KAPOS and NFHS....if not then its like being a football coach and not knowing what plays are legal or illegal...DUH:eek:
What if the coach is right out of college and knows what he/she is doing, but hasn't had the chance to coach yet. How would they ever get the experience to coach if they were not allowed to coach due to the fact they had no experience? Unless they could be an assistant coach, which would be hard to do seeing as how no coaches in this area want an assistant.
DUH...probably you either assist someone for a while...or you have experience as an instructor , choreographer...BUT NO FRESH OUT OF COLLEGE person should take a cheer squad...that is to much too fast!!:lmao: