•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best HS Gym In The State Of KY
LOOKAYANNER Wrote:Good facility, but they have a huge problem getting 5000 people back on the road. There's only one exit route from their gym. Everything bottlenecks at the one outlet. We waited over an hour in traffic to get back on the highway at a region tourney once. That's why I can't rank Knott's gym very high. They need to do something about that.
Perry Central has a much better venue. And so does Powell County, as far as traffic is concerned. It seats a lot, but that's about it.

There have been some discussions about fixing this issue, but none have ever been initiated yet... it does need to be fixed. The plan was to take out the mountain on across the road from the entrance to KCC's campus and create a four lane road with turning lanes, and possibly new entrances... but who knows when that will happen?
Goldylox Wrote:i don't know alot about many other gym's but if there is one that beats harlan county's i would be suprised!!!!!

KCC's still does......
HC BLACK BEARS Wrote::dontthink

I take it you've not seen Harlan County's new gym.

It still doesn't compare.. not even close in capacity. For a new school they should have built better...
HC BLACK BEARS Wrote:I'm not talking about seat capacity as far as the biggest (it seats about 3600 --- chair back seats all the way around the floor..........you could get 5000 in it easy, if say you had the regional tournament) ----- I'm talking size wise - you will just have to come see it. It's something else! :Thumbs:

with standing room.. KCC can almost seat 5500.
ladypatriot55 Wrote:I've been told that they were supposed to take the side of the mountain out next to the car wash and put another way in and out of kcc. but it hasn't happened yet.......

i heard the same
charmagg58 Wrote:i say LCC has the best gym:yikes: Cool

not a chance.. its extremely inconvenient during the day.... plus the seating isnt all that great.
Bias or no bias - I have been in every gym that has been mentioned on this thread and they all are really nice------but------You just need to come see Harlan County's new gym to appreciate it. It's SOMETHING else!!!!!!!
HC BLACK BEARS Wrote:Bias or no bias - I have been in every gym that has been mentioned on this thread and they all are really nice------but------You just need to come see Harlan County's new gym to appreciate it. It's SOMETHING else!!!!!!!

I'm sure your are right. But most on here are at a disadvantage, Harlan's gym is new and few have seen it. Not many people will drive to Harlan to watch a game unless the team they are supporting is playing there. However, it sounds nice, hope to get the opportunity to see it.
Best gym I have been in or played in was Scott Co's gym. It's just a magical atmosphere and the facilities are top notch. I haven't been in the gym in a few years, but I'm sure it hasn't changed one bit.

Prestonsburg has a nice gym, but I wish they would take out the bleachers and put seats with backs. It is very uncomfortable sitting in that gym. Lucky for me, I always had cushioned seats on the court. Big Grin

I also always thought Pike Central had a nice gym. It was very difficult to shoot in though due to the background. Same goes with Betsy Layne.
i really enjoy playing at befry...they have a really nice all around gym and so, does letcher co. central...
I think Belfry has a nice gym. It still has the new look for now which helps out.
Shelby Valley has the nicest in the 15th Region, pretty easily in my opinion. Prestonsburg has a nice gym. I can't stand East Ridge or Belfry's gym. Nicest in the state probably goes to Scott County, and I like Mason County Fieldhouse too.
Mason's Fieldhouse holds 6200 and there are very good crowds for every home game.
I would take Montgomery Co. gym, great facility!
Uncle Fester Wrote:Shelby Valley has the nicest in the 15th Region, pretty easily in my opinion. Prestonsburg has a nice gym. I can't stand East Ridge or Belfry's gym. Nicest in the state probably goes to Scott County, and I like Mason County Fieldhouse too.

I would disagree with that. I don't particularly care for SV's gym. To me, it was very poorly designed. The only way to access the upper arena is from 4 corner stairwells, and that's it. Plus, they had to remove a lot of seats from each side to put in fire escapes (which were not in the original version of the building). I also think that it was built with too small a capacity, but that usually isn't an issue until district rolls around.

I remember the atmosphere at the old Virgie gym was amazing, and even when SV played there the first few years it still drew packed houses with loud fans. Once they moved over to the new facility, something was lost in the process.

For a program that prides itself on being a "basketball school", they deserve a much better arena. The really weird part is SV has one of the nicer football fields around. Yet the basketball arena is not even the best in Pike County (that would be Pike Central).
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I would disagree with that. I don't particularly care for SV's gym. To me, it was very poorly designed. The only way to access the upper arena is from 4 corner stairwells, and that's it. Plus, they had to remove a lot of seats from each side to put in fire escapes (which were not in the original version of the building). I also think that it was built with too small a capacity, but that usually isn't an issue until district rolls around.

I remember the atmosphere at the old Virgie gym was amazing, and even when SV played there the first few years it still drew packed houses with loud fans. Once they moved over to the new facility, something was lost in the process.

For a program that prides itself on being a "basketball school", they deserve a much better arena. The really weird part is SV has one of the nicer football fields around. Yet the basketball arena is not even the best in Pike County (that would be Pike Central).

I guess we'll agree to disagree. I think that SV has one of the nicest gyms. Nice seats, big capacity when the upper arena is open, good floor, and atmosphere.

I think Pike Central is one of the worst gyms in the Region, so I guess it is all just a matter of opinion. :p
sc06cheer Wrote:[Image: http://www.harlan.k12.ky.us/image/newschool/gym.jpg]

this is the picture listed on the schools site. Someone had pictures up on their myspace, but I'm having trouble finding them. So this at least gives you a little glimpse of it!

WOW!!!!!!!! that is what a gym is suppose to look like. I love the seats.
BasketBallonlyfan Wrote:You can park out behind the school walk in a door and be down at court level, or you can come in at the front of the school and walk right in to the top level. The only way you have do the steps is if you prefer to sit in the middle.

That's crazy in a good way.Smile Could you post some pic's I would love to see that set up.
kybaseball Wrote:WOW!!!!!!!! that is what a gym is suppose to look like. I love the seats.

That's an artist rendering of the gym before it was built, the actual is on down the page.
No gym or atmosphere compares to that of the Mason County Fieldhouse, watching a bigtime game there is unreal.
Beamerball Wrote:That's an artist rendering of the gym before it was built, the actual is on down the page.

Where at I do not see any more pics?
yea mason's is good
Hazard's Memorial Gym may not be the prettiest, biggest, or most convenient lol, but it gets so loud in there and the atmosphere is something i dont think any other small school in the state can compare to
My favorite in the 15th is Pike Central. It is comfortable and the atmosphere is nice. I also like Johnson Central (but the bleachers kill you). Lawrence Co. isn't bad either. Betsy Layne is unique!! And P-burg has a nice gym. But for comfort and atmosphere, I have to go with Pike Central.
kybaseball Wrote:WOW!!!!!!!! that is what a gym is suppose to look like. I love the seats.

That is what a gym should look like. It should be used as a model for new schools consolidating IMO
kybaseball Wrote:Where at I do not see any more pics?

This one...

http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image/Pro...0025-1.jpg
hazard_tailgater2010 Wrote:Hazard's Memorial Gym may not be the prettiest, biggest, or most convenient lol, but it gets so loud in there and the atmosphere is something i dont think any other small school in the state can compare to

I agree. The atmosphere at Memorial Gymnasium is awesome. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree but to a Bulldog Memorial Gym is a special place. I think we're losing a lot of the old-fashioned, traditional basketball game feeling with these bigger, modern gyms. And this is just my opinion, but I think that no matter how new, or how big, or how nice, or how modern, or how much parking they have if spectators have to walk across the floor of a gym that gym should be torn down. All gyms should have a rail around the floor and you should have to enter the seating area from the top.
Blue-N-Gold Wrote:I agree. The atmosphere at Memorial Gymnasium is awesome. I'm sure a lot of people wouldn't agree but to a Bulldog Memorial Gym is a special place. I think we're losing a lot of the old-fashioned, traditional basketball game feeling with these bigger, modern gyms. And this is just my opinion, but I think that no matter how new, or how big, or how nice, or how modern, or how much parking they have if spectators have to walk across the floor of a gym that gym should be torn down. All gyms should have a rail around the floor and you should have to enter the seating area from the top.

Well said, and I couldn't agree more!

I can see some improvements being made though
Breathitt has a great Gym. There isnt another one like it in the state.
Beamerball Wrote:This one...

http://dwwilburn.com/UserFiles/Image/Pro...0025-1.jpg

Thank you for the pic.Now that's what I call a gym.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next