•  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold backs
One more thing, I WOULD NEVER ALLOW ONE OF MY CHILDREN TO STAY BACK SOLELY BECAUSE OF SPORTS!!
Youn put a age limit like little league has where they play with kids there own age that would stop alot of holding back.
There is an age limit. You can't turn 19 before Aug. 1.
palmer Wrote:There is an age limit. You can't turn 19 before Aug. 1.

It is nott like little league.Ifn a kid is 15 no way they should be playin with eighth graders. makem sit outa year that'll puta stop to alot of the holdin back stuff.Rolleyes
It is like little league. There are age requirements. A kid can be 13 years old and play little league if their birth date meets the standard.
It is up to parents. But I think the parents that hold back there kid(S) SHOULD HAVE TO PAY $ FOR that year of school held back instead of the tax payer having to pay for it . And from what I here it is a lot of doe$ that the state pays to public schools per kid per day. :thumpsup: :thumpsup: :thumpsup::
So, what are the negatives to holding a kid back? And, what are the positives?
Everyone's opinion welcomed!
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:It is nott like little league.Ifn a kid is 15 no way they should be playin with eighth graders. makem sit outa year that'll puta stop to alot of the holdin back stuff.Rolleyes

There have always been 15 year olds playing in the eighth grade. It's not illegal as long as they turn 15 after Aug. 1.
palmer Wrote:There have always been 15 year olds playing in the eighth grade. It's not illegal as long as they turn 15 after Aug. 1.

where?:confused: :confused: :confused:
palmer Wrote:There have always been 15 year olds playing in the eighth grade. It's not illegal as long as they turn 15 after Aug. 1.

the only 15 yr olds i heve ever seen play 8th grade were one who was held back 1 or two years. leagal or not it is still crazy.Rolleyes Rolleyes

6th grade= 11 and 12
7th geade=12 and 13
8th grade=13 and 14

if you kid is 14 and still in 7th grade make them play eigth grade and when they are i n 8th make them set out that year and that will cut out a ton of holdbacks.Big Grin
YOURTIGERBAIT Wrote:the only 15 yr olds i heve ever seen play 8th grade were one who was held back 1 or two years. leagal or not it is still crazy.Rolleyes Rolleyes

6th grade= 11 and 12
7th geade=12 and 13
8th grade=13 and 14

if you kid is 14 and still in 7th grade make them play eigth grade and when they are i n 8th make them set out that year and that will cut out a ton of holdbacks.Big Grin

What age rule would you use then?
What would you change the date to?
goal_line Wrote:where?:confused: :confused: :confused:

What county doesn't have 19 year olds playing high school sports?
palmer Wrote:What county doesn't have 19 year olds playing high school sports?

Most every school has 19 year olds playing sports as seniors this year. Most have more than 1 or 2!! I don't believe there is a right or wrong answer to this question, some holdbacks it is good for, some I have witnessed it is not been the best decision. I agree with some, it is a difficult decision for parents and students, however, I believe each situation is diffrent and the people that know best for their children are the parents.
Holding kids back for sports is waste of taxpayers [COLOR="SeaGreen"]$[/COLOR]:HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall: :ban: :ban: :graduate:
I can think of a lot things that our tax money is wasted on, but educating children is not one of them. I don't know of any parents that have held their child back in school for the sole purpose of playing sports. It is however, all about sports to parents who oppose their children having to compete against a child that is a year older, stronger, wiser, and more mature. These parents don't really mind that a kid is held back, they just don't want their little Johnny to have to compete against them on the field or court. These same parents aren't concerned about what skills are mastered in the classroom by the child that is held back, it's all about competition in the athletic arena.
goal_line Wrote:Holding kids back for sports is waste of taxpayers [COLOR="SeaGreen"]$[/COLOR]:HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall: :ban: :ban: :graduate:

Let's be honest goal line, you aren't concerned with test scores, or a distinguished score on the CATS test, or the fact that some of these "hold backs" will be able to take advanced Math classes in high school, or that they have advanced writing skills. The only score that you are primarily concerned about is the score on the score board.

If your argument against "hold backs" is that they are bigger and you are concerned with other kids safety, then that's a valid concern. Some places in Kentucky have weight limits to certain positions in football. I don't know if a weight limit would help in basketball or not. If you are concerned that they are too old, then that has already been addressed. But to argue that more education is a bad thing and that money spent on better preparing a kid for high school/college is a waste, is a weak point.
Great response Mama, well said. That is the reason most bring it up, tough decision to holdback your children, lets let the parents and that child decide if it is best for them (they are not doing it illegal) and there are rules that apply with the sports part of it.
Great point mama bear. Kids may not make a living playing sports but sports can sports can help kids make a living.
It seems to me parents that didn't hold their kids back for whatever reason, ( bad birthday, wanted kid out of the house early, thinks kid is to smart and will get bored in school, etc.) are the ones against holding kids back because now their kid will be competing against kids that are physically and mentally more mature. Let's call it what it is,"jealousy." Don't get upset at parents for doing what they feel may be giving their child a better opportunity to compete. Let's face it, most kids will never play any sports at the college level, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't have every opportunity available to them. Sports teaches alot of "lifelessons" and for some kids, it's their only way to get some money for college. For those against holding kids back, what are the disadvantages vs. the advantages? Whether people like it or not Sports plays an important role in our society. It teaches kids how to compete, enjoy success, and deal with failures and most of all it teaches self discipline. I've never heard anyone that didn't hold back say they "were glad they didn't hold back", it's usually the oppsite, "regret!"
Think about this, what's the difference in your kid competing against another kid in his/her grade that is younger and didn't hold back or your kid competing against a kid in his/her grade that held back and is older than your kid? One thing, it's your kid!
Mama Bear Wrote:I can think of a lot things that our tax money is wasted on, but educating children is not one of them. I don't know of any parents that have held their child back in school for the sole purpose of playing sports. It is however, all about sports to parents who oppose their children having to compete against a child that is a year older, stronger, wiser, and more mature. These parents don't really mind that a kid is held back, they just don't want their little Johnny to have to compete against them on the field or court. These same parents aren't concerned about what skills are mastered in the classroom by the child that is held back, it's all about competition in the athletic arena.

I am not sure how one can come to the conclusion that a parent (not all of those involved are parents) is all about sports when they have an issue with holdbacks. I do not see why someone would have an issue with a few players that are holdbacks. Most teams do have a player or 3 that are a year older. Where people have an issue is when 8 of the 11 offensive\defensive starters are the same age as most freshman players in the state. It raises even more questions when this type of ratio is at a small school.

The original question of this thread was about if anyone knew of an area where it was common for students to be held back for ATHLETIC reasons. People have brought all sorts of other issues. If the student is having issues learning then heck yeah hold him back. Though I have never heard fo a parent wanting to hold their child back to increase the child's chances of getting into advanced classes or to improve the writing skills. If the kid is not mature as far as socially then yeah that makes sense.

Heck if people do not have an issue with their MS team playing what for most accounts is a freshman team I know Trinity's freshman team has a hard time getting games. In HS this type fo stuff starts to even out but on a MS level it tends to tip the scales at times pretty bad.
This thread is goin down hill fast.
:lmao: :argue: :goofy: :omg: CRY CRY CRY:howdy:
Smile :d
kybaseball Wrote:This thread is goin down hill fast.

:beer: :BigLaugh:
Mama Bear put it a little more politically correct than I am going to.

HOLDING KIDS back is none of anyone else's business except the parents. It's not illegal, It's not morally wrong and the world is not going to come to an end because of it. So what if your team doesn't beat the team that has the holdbacks, it's just middle school sports, life will go on people. Let parents do what parents do best and that's raise their own children without you dam---- them to he-- because of it. Shoot our football county team had a few holdbacks that were still not talented enough to start but they did get to experience a great championship season in Letcher County this year in football.
goal_line Wrote:Holding kids back for sports is waste of taxpayers [COLOR="SeaGreen"]$[/COLOR]:HitWall: :HitWall: :HitWall: :ban: :ban: :graduate:

Like I said before WASTE of taxpayers $$$$
:closed:Smile Smile
goalinline your wasting your time here bub, most people know why kids are held back for. you know as well as i do people get defensive over this subject.the people either don't have the brass to admit or are ashamed in doing it.quit wasting your time here it's just not worth it. I agree with the statement this thread is going down hill fast.

if a child really needs to be held back for grades or other legit reasons so be it. if this is the case i think i would be focusing on the problems making sure my child was ready for life not hitting a jump shot or hit a baseball . if a kid has the juice they have it. using immaturity or academics is a bogus excuse to gain a sports advantage.

and to answer what kind of age limit should be put in place the schools cut off age is good after septembert first i think. that still doesn't allow 15 yr olds to play 8th graders unless i they are held back. i have a kid that falls under that limit thyey just turned 15 and is a freshman not a 8th grader.

later gater
:yes: Your absolutely right :notworthy :notworthy Wink:theman:
I aint the man but might as well get'er out in the open. Its just my 2cents.
  •  Previous
  • 3(current)
  • Next