•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hold backs
a kid could be held back and still be under the age requirement
Hey I aint complaining about holding back a kid... all I can say is that it never should be done for the benefit of the school.........
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Holding back is the parents right to do so. What cracks me up they do it then fall apart when people talk about them.Smile

And another thing I love is the reasons for holding them back,they are immature or their small for their age or they don't make good grades.WE ALL KNOW WHY 99% OF THE KIDS ARE BEING HELD BACK IS FOR SPORTS.Smile Smile

I don't care one way or another I say to each their own but if you are going to give a reason for doing it AT LEAST TELL THE TRUTH WHY YOU DO IT.Smile :thumpsup:
do not understand why pike co. tries to punish the kids who hold back and keep them from playing sports when there going to be eligable to play in high school which means going into your senior year they will not turn 19 before august 1st
kybaseball Wrote:Holding back is the parents right to do so. What cracks me up they do it then fall apart when people talk about them.Smile

And another thing I love is the reasons for holding them back,they are immature or their small for their age or they don't make good grades.WE ALL KNOW WHY 99% OF THE KIDS ARE BEING HELD BACK IS FOR SPORTS.Smile Smile

I don't care one way or another I say to each their own but if you are going to give a reason for doing it AT LEAST TELL THE TRUTH WHY YOU DO IT.Smile :thumpsup:

It cracks me up when people act like it is cheating or that they are morally superior for NOT having hold backs on their team.
It's always a heated topic. Makes for a great excuse when you lose to a team with larger more experienced players. "Well they had holdbacks on that team!" Oh and I love the term a "true" Freshmen or "true Sophmore". You are either in the grade you are or you ain't. It's pretty basic stuff. :Thumbs:
I agree with mama bear. And to baseball, if you do not care do not post.
We don't do it in Morgan County, and I hope we don't because I don't believe it is right because that is just keeping a kid in school for another year to listen to the same stuff they heard the year before, and I think it should be illegal to do because if they make the grades, then they should go on.
I have never heard the term true freshman in regards to HS sports. Honestly in HS holdbacks have little to no affect unless you are a smaller class school. At a smaller class school it just means those freshmen are more likely to be able to play earlier in their career and help their team. In larger classes the teams have so many players that the need for a freshman to step up now is much less.

Now as far as it being an "excuse" to losing to team with larger more experienced players. I think excuse is a not the best word to use. Explanation maybe but not excuse. The fact a number of players on a team were held back explains why they are larger. The fact they played an extra 8th grade year due to having 2 8th grade years is an explanation on why they have more experience. Physical strength, speed, and overall physical maturity does have an affect on football but at this level it is gained largely through age.

If there was a rule that stated you only had 3 yrs of MS sports would it have any impact at all?
Well,, that depends... If you only have 7th and 8th grade then you only get two years if you have a 6th grade then you get .. I sse what you mean by it.
I would say that you have a year of eligibility for every year of GRADE that is being taught at the school. But this will not affect eh kid who come in from out of the school system and repeat.. How will that be addressed.

You know we all have good points and some not so good,, but I think it still comes back to..............It should not be legal for a school to allow a hold back if the child does not need to be..... This eliminates the SPORTS factor all together.

Holding back is the parents decision and the parent has the last say. Just have it in you rheart to do the right thing for the right reason.... Thats ALL !!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
new o Wrote:I agree with mama bear. And to baseball, if you do not care do not post.

And to new o who are you the post police or something?Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes I will post wherever and whenever I want.
Mama Bear Wrote:It cracks me up when people act like it is cheating or that they are morally superior for NOT having hold backs on their team.
It's always a heated topic. Makes for a great excuse when you lose to a team with larger more experienced players. "Well they had holdbacks on that team!" Oh and I love the term a "true" Freshmen or "true Sophmore". You are either in the grade you are or you ain't. It's pretty basic stuff. :Thumbs:

Right on Mama Bear.I'll tell ya good one .There was a family who held their daughter back then when they played a team the mother said they hold their kids back and it's not fair.I'm still laughing about that one.:BigLaugh: :BigLaugh: :BigLaugh: :BigLaugh:
new o Wrote:I agree with mama bear. And to baseball, if you do not care do not post.

TongueoliceLig :cop: Attention Post Cop in the house.Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes

:cop: Confusederved: I'm sorry officer if I posted something you didn't like.Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
Wow, Whatever happened to EDUCATION? I have seen and know parents that have held there kids back just for sports reasons and I think it is the craziest thing you can possibly do to a child. Unfortunately you have parents out there who are trying to relive the good ol days (some probably didnt even get to carry the water bottle). I believe that you know before kindergarten if your child is ready for school, IF that child has been socially active or in a pre school. It is different when you are a "stay at home kid", not much interaction with other kids or are a 1st child and your parents are afraid to let you out of there site. LOL In the things I have seen it is usually the parent thinking without a brain and not a school thing, at least what I have seen and heard here, the school sets a cut off date for a reason. If they are old enough then yes they should go to school otherwise stay out for one more go around, as a previous teacher it is harder the older they get especially for boys. Girls are just naturally social and can usually adapt to anything. Most of the time if you have good teachers and good parents who communicate then you will know by 1st grade. Keeping kids out for sports is just a big kick to the teeth when there parents realize that they are not getting that big scholarship they dreamed of in the 3rd grade. It can really be a sad situation in the long run.
How about this reason then. Why not keeping your kid back because you would like to keep them at home for one more year. The world is a cruel place and I for one would like to keep my children under my roof for as long as possible. Why send your son or daughter off to college when they are just turning 18. I know that I was not ready for that kind of freedom and it was hard on me adapting to a new town, new people, and way to much freedom to do what I wanted. I personally think a 19 year old turning 20 in their freshmen year of college isn't a bad thing. Yes to hold one back for sports alone is a bad thing, but to hold one back because the parent cares about their child's future is not a bad thing. It's ultimately the parent's decision and I think it should stay that way. I will hold mine back in elementary school for the extra year of maturity, both physical and mental. If he turns out to be an athlete it can do nothing but help, if not he will have that extra year of education and growing up and being a little more mature and wiser. It never seems to fail that the older more mature child seems to be the leader in the classrooms and the hallways of their schools. These leaders are usually the ones that their parents held back for that extra year of growing up. Just my point of view, thought I'd throw my opinion in since everyone else was doing so.
If...Then Wrote:As far as Pike County goes, this has always been an issue with Pikeville and Belfry for the past couple of years or so. That's everyones excuse for losing bad to them, but the average is only about 5 or 6. I know last year Pikeville had about 9 and Belfry around 10. There isn't much anyone can do about hold backs besides making them ineligible to play their repeated 8th grade year like High School does. IMO it would be more fair and good games would actually be played instead of the 62-0 games PMS and BMS have been doing for the past 3 years.

This is VERY untrue sweetie... I KNOW as my son is a YOUNG freshman this year, who JUST turned 14 and was one of those on the 8th grade team last year as a 12/13 year old.... Just thought you should know!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Lambert #1 Wrote:How about this reason then. Why not keeping your kid back because you would like to keep them at home for one more year. The world is a cruel place and I for one would like to keep my children under my roof for as long as possible. Why send your son or daughter off to college when they are just turning 18. I know that I was not ready for that kind of freedom and it was hard on me adapting to a new town, new people, and way to much freedom to do what I wanted. I personally think a 19 year old turning 20 in their freshmen year of college isn't a bad thing. Yes to hold one back for sports alone is a bad thing, but to hold one back because the parent cares about their child's future is not a bad thing. It's ultimately the parent's decision and I think it should stay that way. I will hold mine back in elementary school for the extra year of maturity, both physical and mental. If he turns out to be an athlete it can do nothing but help, if not he will have that extra year of education and growing up and being a little more mature and wiser. It never seems to fail that the older more mature child seems to be the leader in the classrooms and the hallways of their schools. These leaders are usually the ones that their parents held back for that extra year of growing up. Just my point of view, thought I'd throw my opinion in since everyone else was doing so.

Good post!

The bottom line is that it should be a parental decision, and for whatever the parents decide is the reason to hold their child back its none of mine or anyone else's business.

I'll raise my child, you raise yours, and we should both do that in the best interest of our own children.

BTW...I think that all boys should be held back once, and yes maturity (both mental & physical) is the reason.
Holdbacks are always going to be an issue. I personally don't agree with holdbacks for sports only, but I can see some parents reasoning. Our school district has allowed holdbacks and it has just become an accepted practice. I suppose a parent should have that right as long as it isn't against any rules.
IMO if a player can make a passing grade he/she should not be held back. and on the other hand if that same player is not making a passing grade should he/she be playing sports any way?
This sort of topic could be potentially harmful to every child and parent. Let things be the way they are and do not try to insist on change because it could come back and bite you in the rear. It is completley up to the parent's and should remain a private matter.
Leonidas Wrote:BTW...I think that all boys should be held back once, and yes maturity (both mental & physical) is the reason.

I agree that it's your choice, but wouldn't it be simpler to start school later if you're sure you're going to do that and spend an extra year in preschool or kindergarten.
Lambert #1 Wrote:How about this reason then. Why not keeping your kid back because you would like to keep them at home for one more year. The world is a cruel place and I for one would like to keep my children under my roof for as long as possible. Why send your son or daughter off to college when they are just turning 18. I know that I was not ready for that kind of freedom and it was hard on me adapting to a new town, new people, and way to much freedom to do what I wanted. I personally think a 19 year old turning 20 in their freshmen year of college isn't a bad thing. Yes to hold one back for sports alone is a bad thing, but to hold one back because the parent cares about their child's future is not a bad thing. It's ultimately the parent's decision and I think it should stay that way. I will hold mine back in elementary school for the extra year of maturity, both physical and mental. If he turns out to be an athlete it can do nothing but help, if not he will have that extra year of education and growing up and being a little more mature and wiser. It never seems to fail that the older more mature child seems to be the leader in the classrooms and the hallways of their schools. These leaders are usually the ones that their parents held back for that extra year of growing up. Just my point of view, thought I'd throw my opinion in since everyone else was doing so.

Amen. Well said.
Some parents are NOT in the right MIND or even in the right world to make the decision of holding back kids.:moon: :rockon: Wink
Wink
guyfawkes Wrote:We don't do it in Morgan County, and I hope we don't because I don't believe it is right because that is just keeping a kid in school for another year to listen to the same stuff they heard the year before, and I think it should be illegal to do because if they make the grades, then they should go on.

I heard that the 8th grade Morgan co football had 8 kids on the team that were 15 yrs. old:boosign::Thumbs:
goal_line Wrote:Some parents are NOT in the right MIND or even in the right world to make the decision of holding back kids.:moon: :rockon: Wink

I think the kids should have a decision on it, cuz when i stayed back i left all my friends in my grade.. i knew kids in the grade below me but i didnt kids to think i was dumb or couldnt pass but after a little whille i thought it was the best thing to ever happen to me, i was held back for sports, but my parents wanted to keep me home for another year.
So what if the Morgan County team had 8 kids that were 15. As long as they turned 15 after August 1st it's not an issue. The rule states that as long as a student turns 19 after August the 1st in their Senior year they are eligible which means a 15 year old 8th grader is fine. It seemed to work out just fine for the football team, their record was impressive as well as their run in the state tournament this year. I saw some pictures of that team and they looked impressive. Letcher County beat them last year but they didn't look like they did this season.
goal_line Wrote:Some parents are NOT in the right MIND or even in the right world to make the decision of holding back kids.:moon: :rockon: Wink
Our decision took a lot of thought and time. He also had a voice in it. We sent a kid to middle school that was ready for middle school. I would not change a thing and I'm happy with our decision. Holding back, what ever the reason, is up to that individual family. It's a tough decision in your childs life, and should never be taken lightly. Whether it's grades, age, size, or sports, it's a personal and private family decision. That's an opinion from a guy that thought the same way as goal line, then I became a dad.
That’s your opinion I have mine.Big Grin :closed:
Everybody can choose to do what they want i think they should put a age on middel school players . the same thing as little league.
well IMO, I don't think that holdbacks should be allowed!! If the grades are kept up and they are doing fine in school then they should be made to go on, and if the grades are not good, then they shouldn't be playing sports in the first place.

But then again, It's just my opinion.
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next