Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State-Semi predictions
This whole state thing was a cluster. You are correct about Lex. Cath. and the Coach of Lex. Cath. MS. is also the president of the organization. They only opened 8 brackets and hand selected who would play in those brackets. I spoke with the board members personally and they set their brackets before the conferences winners played. Very dissappointed at the good ole boy network. Have you heard of any other teams not being allowed into the play-offs.? We were denied, because they said they already had their 8 conferences selected.
Bobcat_Dad Wrote:Most of the schools you mentioned have more than 1 middle school team. I think they just took the 1st 8 conferences that spoke up. And NO New Harlan is not better than Bell.
They hand picked the 8 teams for the "State Championship". So can you really consider this a state championship if there were only 8 conferences allowed in? KYMSFA is no more than a money making "tournament".
barrel Wrote:Lexing Cath did not make it in for the 8th grade. Danville does have a MS but I am not sure past that. Who is in Bell's confrence?

Now as far as smashmouth football winning out..unless someone has information on the teams past Bell that they are not sharing no one knows what type of ball the others play. I have heard that Morgan Co runs double wing.

I do know that Grant is not in a confrence but was let in as an independent
Did not know Grant Co. was not even in a conference....very interesting! The rule for the KYMFSA is that you had to be a conference winner to participate. I hope that the word gets out before everyone donates their money to these clowns.
Grayson was not let in due to not having information in on time. I got the email from Bass just like everyone else on the listserve. Now why Verity was let in before Grayson I have no idea. Verity's confrence took the place I the confrence that Lex Cath was in. They opened one position for an independent based on who they played. Grant got the independent spot. They are already making plans on making it work better for next year. I do think confrences might have to make adjustments to be done in time.
Morgan County lost to Bluegrass Middle 22 to 14 I believe. Morgan had done wonderful throughout the season and Bluegrass Middle was their only loss of the year. They were led there by Joe Holbrook (#12) and Walker Crase (#19) both of which had phenominal rushing stats throughout the year and I would have them on any team. Plus, I believe Joe Holbrook is looking around for a high school to play at so if anyone is interested, get back at me because I know him pretty well (I'm his brother).
Bluegrass won 8th grade state championships beating Bell Co. 22-16. It was a great game and came down to the closing seconds. Both teams left everything they had on the field. Bluegrass finished the season 13-0.
barrel Wrote:Grayson was not let in due to not having information in on time. I got the email from Bass just like everyone else on the listserve. Now why Verity was let in before Grayson I have no idea. Verity's confrence took the place I the confrence that Lex Cath was in. They opened one position for an independent based on who they played. Grant got the independent spot. They are already making plans on making it work better for next year. I do think confrences might have to make adjustments to be done in time.
I also have an e-mail.....Grayson was told "no" because they had not sent in their required paperwork by Oct 6th......Here is the Kicker, the brackets were posted on Oct 7th and in quotations it clearly states they were still awaiting required paperwork for Verity/ NEKC. They also bumped back the play-offs a week so two other conferences could play out their championship and still be able to compete in state. Graves Co. was another 5A team that wanted in but were told "NO". Grayson had expressed interest back in Sept. way before the brackets were set. So the e-mail you recieved does not tell the whole story.
Congratulations to Bell and Morgan County. I'm proud of our mountain neighbors for representing the mountains well. Sounds like we need to just do a mountain state championship tournament, I think that's what Lexington did for their area so why shouldn't we? I know that if we had of gotten a tournament between teams like Bell, Morgan, Perry Co., Johnson Central, Letcher County Central, New Harlan, Belfry, Sebatian, Knox Co. it would sure have been more impressive than what they put together.
I am writing on behalf of the Kentucky Middle School Football Association ("KYMSFA") to report on the 1st Kentucky Middle School Football Conference On Conference State Championship and to thank all of you who have written in support of our effort to organize middle school football. All information on game scores and results of the State Championship can be found at http://www.kymiddleschoolfootball.com.

First let me say that the State Championship was a tremendous success for the 1st year. As indicated by some posts, conferences were limited to eight for the 1st year as season schedules throughout the Commonwealth differ substantially. A balance was struck to permit all regions of the Commonwealth to participate. All schools were contacted during 2007 and early 2008. The conferences that participated, as well as an independent team qualifier (we would select best independent team from record/opponents or by playoff for the bracket spot), all joined the KYMSFA and commited to participate the 1st year. Many teams/conferences wanted in at the last as the State Championship came closer. It was impossible to expand this year based upon the different schedules.

Yesterday represented the best in middle school football. A crowd of all most 4,000 travelled to Lexington to attend the semi-finals and championship games. It was a great day for football. We very much appreciated all of the help and support by the many volunteers that made the event a reality.

We already know for next year that many, many more conferences intend to join and make changes to their schedules/by-laws in order to participate. The 2nd Annual Meeting of the KYMSFA will take place at the Nike Coach Of The Year Clinic in Louisville on February 13-15th. If you are a middle school coach, AD or high school coach and would like to have your program join and be a part of the effort, please complete the registration form at the website. The dues are nominal. Our goal is to make middle school football something special. Yesterday's events supported our belief that something special can take place in football, both on and off the field. We had a magical moment in the lives of everyone that participated..

Should you have any questions, please let us know. KYMSFA President
Lambert #1 Wrote:Congratulations to Bell and Morgan County. I'm proud of our mountain neighbors for representing the mountains well. Sounds like we need to just do a mountain state championship tournament, I think that's what Lexington did for their area so why shouldn't we? I know that if we had of gotten a tournament between teams like Bell, Morgan, Perry Co., Johnson Central, Letcher County Central, New Harlan, Belfry, Sebatian, Knox Co. it would sure have been more impressive than what they put together.

I am sure all of those teams are good. I am sure that it would be a good tournament. But the last part of that statement I think sells short the teams that did play. Bluegrass MS beat both Morgan and Bell on the same day. While Grant did not beat Bell the it did seem that grant earned a good deal of respect from Bell. Grant had their starting QB tossed from the game about half way through the first quater.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Congratulations to Bell and Morgan County. I'm proud of our mountain neighbors for representing the mountains well. Sounds like we need to just do a mountain state championship tournament, I think that's what Lexington did for their area so why shouldn't we? I know that if we had of gotten a tournament between teams like Bell, Morgan, Perry Co., Johnson Central, Letcher County Central, New Harlan, Belfry, Sebatian, Knox Co. it would sure have been more impressive than what they put together.

Get your Coach to get up with a couple of other mountain coaches to organize a "Pride of the Mountains" Tournament. Get a couple of good sponsors and there ya go. These folks in Lexington have a good idea. Sounds like for its first year, they've made a lot of money and had some good teams there. No reason to leave the mountains to find awesome middle school football competition.
grants qb was tossed on a horrible call and there number 1 receiver had to play qb. they were robbed in my opinion. do you know what that does to kids confidence when the lose there qb. shelbly caudill stepped up and did a great job. the reason grant was an independent was because they were dropped from there conference beacuse no one wanted to play them.
Your are completely correct Barrel, I should have made my point more clearly. I do think that it is impressive that Morgan, Bell, Bluegrass Middle, and Grant made it to the final four. I was trying to complain about the method those teams were chosen and I do still think that it shouldn't have been called/named the State Championship. I personally think that until everyone or every conference is represented you cannot call it State anything! If and it seems that Bluegrass Middle was that impressive they probably would have advanced in a true playoff format. Our school plays in the Big Sandy Conference and I do know that our coach thought that his conference would be represented in the tourney. He stated that he thought it had to be done through the conference though. Our conference tourney was still going on during this time period though. I think that they are onto something really good if they can get the kinds worked out. It needs to be moved up a few weeks so that everyone can rework their conference tournaments and have a representative. I do not think that an 8 team bracket can determine the best Middle School in the state though. First they need to make it clear that ALL conferences that intend to play needs to apply no later than August 1st or something like that. Then they need to plan on the playoffs lasting a minimum of two, probably three weeks. This would mean that the Middle School State Semi's would be played in mid to late November. I do realize that this would interfere with Middle School basketball but it's the only answer. The only way around this would be to start playing football games August 1st to get a full schedule of games in. I think our coach will take care of the paperwork himself next year but it would be better if it went through the Conferences. Each one should pay up front and register their conference winner or runner up early so this same problem does not come up again next year. I think it can work and probably went better than most people thought it would this year. Just needs some tweeking to get it right next time.

I apologize if anyone from Morgan, Bell, Grant, Bluegrass Middle thought that I was saying that their team did not deserve to be in the tournament, Great job by those coaches, players, parents for giving their boys a chance to play in the state Tournament. Congrats to Bluegrass Middle, you had one heck of a season.
Lambert 1: Just about everything you brought up is in the process of being worked on. It might mean that the Big Sandy (which I also thougt would be represented) either not have a tournie or it end earlier.

My understanding as of right now is

Deadlines:They are going to place a deadline on any school who wants in to pay to be part of the KYMSFA by a certain date.

Classes: Those teams will then be broken into class based on enrollment of students or male students from the schools they pull from. Bell has 6 K-8 schools but play as one team so they would use the numbers from all 8 schools. Lex Cath has no MS so they would use all the schools/area they pull from.

Set date for playoffs: If your in then your season must end by a certain date because the playoffs are going to start.

Now this might end the days of confrences for some schools or it might be more like OH. You play in a confrence but confrence play ends by a set date so no more confrence playoffs.

No truth be told there will always be people who will not want to call it a St Championship. All the Cath schools in Louisville play in a playoff for the Toy Bowl which is 60yrs old. Those are the schools that feed X and T. NKY has a league that will never be a part of this, Boone has a pop warner style league and Highlands has their own. It was the best they could do due to the way things were this year. Bell played a very physical game then 2hrs later played for the championship. Their QB could not play defense and could barely play any offense because of cramps and the game before. Morgan has 300 or so total students playing against teams with almost 3 times their enrollment and Wayne was in the same boat.

Was it perfect? No. Did some schools make mistakes and then want to complain about not being in? Yes. The 4 schools there on Sat were some of it not the best 4 teams in the state. I think any of them would have loved to prove themselves against anyone. Maybe they would not of beat some other schools or maybe they would have proved they belonged. In the end it is what it is. I do think Bluegrass had an advantage due to their first game and playing an early game. Bluegrass alos feed a very good HS program in John Harden. When you look at the final teams in both 7th and 8th they feed fairly good programs. Bowling Green and Bell are very well know. Lex Cath was in the playoffs and they have won 2 titles.

I am sorry that more teams did not get the chance to play and that those that played did not get the chance to play some other teams. There is a meetin in Feb of the KYMSFA to get this stuff worked out and if a teams wants a say they need to be there and inovled with the list serve and the emails. This could be a great thing for our kids, communties and football in thebluegrass.

For those that took the time to come they got to see something very special. They got to see football in KY played in the way it was suppose to be played. Those kids left their hearts on the field. I have watched a good deal of HS football and it did not compare to what those kids layed on the line. I do not care if someone believes it was a true St title or not but please do not short change those kids for what they played for. They played as if a title was on the line. They played as if everything in their world was on the line. After the tears and bruises healed I think they are beleived they belonged and that it had meaning.

On a side note: Past addressing Lambert's concerns this was not directed at him. Also no team of the 8 had more than a lose. I think Grant was the only team of the 8 with a lose though Spencer may have. Grant played the following with their only lose being to Owen who they later beat in the 1st round of the playoffs
Scott
Georgetown
Royal Springs
Oldham
East Oldham
South Oldham
Owen
LCA
Walton Verona
Carrell
Paris
Scrimage Lex Cath and Mason
Which team won the Middle School State Championship?
Bluegrass Middle beat Bell. A number of Bell's players could not play due to cramps from the first game
Some Photos from final day

IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/mmesmer/2008%2011%2001%20MSState/20081101MSState003.jpg[/IMG]

[Image: http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd226...ate038.jpg]

IMG]http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd226/mmesmer/2008%2011%2001%20MSState/20081101MSState037.jpg[/IMG]
Big Win
Great pics.:Thumbs: