Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason Co. 20 - Russell 7
Now looking at the stats of this years team. Russell has probably the most balanced skilled position players in 3a. We have Abrams,Bailey,Mitchell,Cordle,Dillon,Rice and the funny thing that I noticed was that Abrams has 148 carries???? Bailey has 50 carries Will has 43 carries Cordle has 48 carries? Are you serious? Drew isnt kasey clark or josh gross so quit trying to make him that way. Play with the better players and quit limiting our offense.
Things need to be changed on the sideline and they need to be changed quickly if this Russell team wants to go anywhere. This team should be sitting on 8-1, but running Drew obviously isn't gonna get the job done.
Beetle01 Wrote:Ivan calls 99% of the plays......

WRONG!
PureRedDevil Wrote:WRONG!

Really? You think Jones and company call them from up top? I spent an entier season on the sidelines when I was injured, and constantly heard the coaches calling in different plays, but Ivan would ignore that most times and call what he wanted.

Sounds like you are wrong.
Used to read this stuff for entertainment but you guys are going nuts.
Beetle01 Wrote:Really? You think Jones and company call them from up top? I spent an entier season on the sidelines when I was injured, and constantly heard the coaches calling in different plays, but Ivan would ignore that most times and call what he wanted.

Sounds like you are wrong.

Well that was a few years ago, I constantly hear Smith telling McGlone the play, how would you know if I am wrong when you are in the stands? He does call some of his own but its not anywhere near 99%.
it is unfair for you to talk about a kid in the way your talking about Zach Smith. He has done a good job this entire year like many kids he will make a few mistakes. I challenge you to sit down and watch film of the line. It has been better then you and some others has been talking all year. The line offensively and defensively has played well all year. In the games that Russell has lost they played better then any others on the field. They have surpise me by the way they are playing (Smith) included. When Russell is successful the backs have to block well also and hit their holes.. I would bet if you watched films of the games you may see this as being some of the problems. The biggest problems for this team has been mistakes from all players and some listening to someone like you.

For the part of not watching another Russell team until Ivan retires. I personally don't care if you ever support Russell again. Your not really supporting them now.
FBALL Wrote:Its not just you. But this is the only game where I thought they went to the pass too much. The running game was working fine from where I was watching. Some of those passes were after they got behind and I understand that. But the outside was open all night on the run. Abrams did not play defense so he should not have been tired. They should have kept going to the well.

That said recievers were open underneath and if those are completed than this is a different ball game.

If the kids are discouraged its because they aren't all on the same page. I said it earlier. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.

From what I heard the plays being called were not clear.
Beetle01 Wrote:Ivan is the one calling all the plays. He has been the one doing it for years. I know almost for certain that Jones has wanted it to be mixed up this year, and not be so one dimensional, then in the one game where they have the ability to go one dimensional, McGlone decides to try and pass 20 times lol. It is honestly pathetic, and I for one will let you all know, that I won't go watch a single Russell game until Ivan retires after this year. Iwouldn't be there now if it wasn't for my bro playing. I can't just blindly support such terrible lack of using your players and their abilities and giving the kids the best opportunity to win. You all act like these kids just let down, these kids know exactly what we all know, and there is nothing they can do about it. They know who should be at what positions, they know that they should have beem mixing it up more when the weather was good, they know that their dline should be able to fire off the ball and get penetration, they know that they should not be playing that terrible zone coverage that Russell has ran for over a decade, and why Russell has given up so many comeback wins to passing teams. They know all this, and it is very discouraging. Yes Ivan won state 3 years ago, but 2A was very very down that year, and that team just capitolized on being slightly more talented than every team they played. I'm glad they won it, but Russell should have droves of banners hanging around.

When was the last time a Russell team beat a team they shouldn't have? Russell never wins as an underdog, because Ivan's system solely depends on the fact that your kids must be head and shoulders better than the other team to win.

Well said.
BBB Wrote:it is unfair for you to talk about a kid in the way your talking about Zach Smith. He has done a good job this entire year like many kids he will make a few mistakes. I challenge you to sit down and watch film of the line. It has been better then you and some others has been talking all year. The line offensively and defensively has played well all year. In the games that Russell has lost they played better then any others on the field. They have surpise me by the way they are playing (Smith) included. When Russell is successful the backs have to block well also and hit their holes.. I would bet if you watched films of the games you may see this as being some of the problems. The biggest problems for this team has been mistakes from all players and some listening to someone like you.

For the part of not watching another Russell team until Ivan retires. I personally don't care if you ever support Russell again. Your not really supporting them now.

I have seen film, and I watch the games live. The pressure is always coming from the left tackle side, its the truth. Abrams does a terrible job blocking from the wing also. If the kids don't want to hear some criticism, I expect they would put forth a little more effort and pick up their level of play. The kids listen to me? I haven't hardly talked to any of them, and I almost never talk about football in a critiquing manner. However, this team is not playing to its abilities, blocks are being missed, and there's no excuse for someone who is 6'1" 225lbs to be side stepping running backs. I'm not gonna name a name here, but that kid probably won't see much defense anymore. For some reason, some not all, seem to shy away from contact, heck that was the only reason I ever played was the legal violence you were able to dish out on the football field.
If you have watched film then you don't know the blocking schemes because the left tackle has maybe given up one sack all year. In the ashland game most of those sacks were due to the back side end and backs not picking up the blocks. As a matter of fact i would bet that almost every lineman has given up more sacks them the left tackle.