Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason Co. 20 - Russell 7
jgrubby Wrote:Ok, well put, but why does he roll to his left more than the right. He is right handed. Takes to long to adjust and throw. He practically has to throw while turning back to the right. Doesn't have his feet planted and throws. Guess Russell won't ever have the pass right. Maybe under a new staff. But not now.

Left or right is not the problem there. Looking for big plays down field and being indecisive are.
sore_looser Wrote:OK, it is not for me to complain about the play calling because I am not the coach. But, I would think that after awhile they would realize that the pass plays are not working. We can run the ball down the field and when we get to the 30, they decide to pass? What is up with that?? I am not just talking about this game either. I hate to see hanging heads. It is no wonder the kids are discouraged. A lot of people have said that Russell will get it together by next Friday. Well it has been the next and the next x2. If anyone thinks this team does not have talent, they have not seen them play in the past. Going throught JFL and then to Freshman each one of these classes has made a major statement among there opponents. Is it just me that thinks this way or am I a real sore looser. Don't get me wrong, Russell is still good in there class. I guess I have higher expectations. And last but not least, Russell fans makes no noise!!! Fans and cheerleaders need to cheer for the team! Russell has one of the largest quietist crowds anywhere. Let's get behind this talented bunch of kids.

Russell fans lets get this team FIRED UP!!

:devilflam :devilflam :devilflam

Its not just you. But this is the only game where I thought they went to the pass too much. The running game was working fine from where I was watching. Some of those passes were after they got behind and I understand that. But the outside was open all night on the run. Abrams did not play defense so he should not have been tired. They should have kept going to the well.

That said recievers were open underneath and if those are completed than this is a different ball game.

If the kids are discouraged its because they aren't all on the same page. I said it earlier. Too many chiefs and not enough indians.
There not on the same page because there is NO leadership. I know I keep harping on it but it is true. THE LEADERSHIP IS JUST NOT THERE!!!!!
And I hate to disagree with you FBALL but I believe the team gave up last night because of the leadership deal.
I just got a chance to read all the posts so far, and I wanted to add my thoughts to what has already been said.

1) I do agree that A.J. seems to lock-in on only Mitchell. He did try drew a couple of times and Mikey once, and not having bailey as an option didn't help.
Underneath stuff gets you 3 to 5 yards and takes a lot less time to get open and if it is not there, A.J. has the skills just to tuck and run it. Granted he is not a "jones" type of runner, but positive yards is better than no yards or lost yards.

2)I also agree that it is much harder to roll to your 'off-side' left and set your feet and throw a good ball. And with those weather conditions, that also made it even harder. If i'm not mistaken his only 2 completions came from rolling to his throwing side.

3)I also agree the defense did play better. I thought the changes in personnel seem to help. I think Hutchinson may be a little undersized to play the middle against bigger centers and guards though.

4) I also agree that 'special teams' played a very big part in the game. In weather conditions like that, every snap, every grab of the ball, every punt has to be right on. For example, when dave went back to punt the 2nd time, he had just ran a fade pattern down the side of the field, dove and soaked his gloves. So he had to run all the way back to the formation and line up to punt. He never bothered to wipe his gloves off or take them off at all, so when the snap came back it went right through his hands and caused him to pick up the ball in a hurry and try to get a punt off. When Mikey had to rush in the first time, he only took a 10 yard drop, which gave Mason a chance to get back there and get a piece of the ball. Most drops in high school I thought are 12 yards.

5)I disagree somewhat about the crowd tonight. The noise and cheering was there (at least in the section I was in). The cheerleaders got off the track and went into the upper level tonight to lead some cheers which was great. I still did notice a good deal of "sitting" going on, but you always have some that like to watch the game for the enjoyment of the game and are not typically 'rah rah' types. And the pouring rain may have kept some from jumping up and down alot.

Now for a couple of thoughts of my own.
1) If I remember right, when AJ first transferred back to Russell, I was told he was very good at throwing out of the shotgun formation. Maybe they could throw in one or two plays for him out of that formation. Would give him a couple of extra seconds to survey the field, look at the defense and maybe find the underneath receivers better.

2)I don't know how to say this, but I will try my best. It seems from my observation that there are a couple of personality conflicts going on during the game that is affecting the teams performance. I know when mine played the game, he had a couple of players he didn't get along with off the field, but when he stepped between the hashes that went away for 48 or more minutes. If they made a good play, shake their hand, give them a high-five, a pat on the helmet whatever. You were out there for 1 purpose and that is to win for your 'team' and your school. After the game and in the classroom next week, you can go back to hanging with who you hang with. But NEVER do you take that with you in the game. I know it may be hard for kids 15-18 but you got to give it your best shot Here is an example of what I mean; Let's pick two players. Player 1 is the QB and Player 2 is a Receiver. A pass play is called. Player 2 runs an underneath route to pull the LB off of wide receiver #3. But the LB leaves him alone and doubles #3 leaving player 2 wide open. Player 1 sees this but becasue he doesn't like 2, he still trys to get the ball to the now double covered #3. (I hope this made sense) It doesn't matter who gets their name or picture in the paper after the game, all that matters is that a win allows your team to play another week deeper into the playoffs and another week closer to the "pizza box" , "turf", "louisville" whatever chant you choose.

Maybe I am wrong about this and if so I sincerely apoligize for it. I love this team and will continue to cheer you on each week.

Go Devils.
Russelldad Wrote:I just got a chance to read all the posts so far, and I wanted to add my thoughts to what has already been said.

1) I do agree that A.J. seems to lock-in on only Mitchell. He did try drew a couple of times and Mikey once, and not having bailey as an option didn't help.
Underneath stuff gets you 3 to 5 yards and takes a lot less time to get open and if it is not there, A.J. has the skills just to tuck and run it. Granted he is not a "jones" type of runner, but positive yards is better than no yards or lost yards.

2)I also agree that it is much harder to roll to your 'off-side' left and set your feet and throw a good ball. And with those weather conditions, that also made it even harder. If i'm not mistaken his only 2 completions came from rolling to his throwing side.

3)I also agree the defense did play better. I thought the changes in personnel seem to help. I think Hutchinson may be a little undersized to play the middle against bigger centers and guards though.

4) I also agree that 'special teams' played a very big part in the game. In weather conditions like that, every snap, every grab of the ball, every punt has to be right on. For example, when dave went back to punt the 2nd time, he had just ran a fade pattern down the side of the field, dove and soaked his gloves. So he had to run all the way back to the formation and line up to punt. He never bothered to wipe his gloves off or take them off at all, so when the snap came back it went right through his hands and caused him to pick up the ball in a hurry and try to get a punt off. When Mikey had to rush in the first time, he only took a 10 yard drop, which gave Mason a chance to get back there and get a piece of the ball. Most drops in high school I thought are 12 yards.

5)I disagree somewhat about the crowd tonight. The noise and cheering was there (at least in the section I was in). The cheerleaders got off the track and went into the upper level tonight to lead some cheers which was great. I still did notice a good deal of "sitting" going on, but you always have some that like to watch the game for the enjoyment of the game and are not typically 'rah rah' types. And the pouring rain may have kept some from jumping up and down alot.

1) If I remember right, when AJ first transferred back to Russell, I was told he was very good at throwing out of the shotgun formation. Maybe they could throw in one or two plays for him out of that formation. Would give him a couple of extra seconds to survey the field, look at the defense and maybe find the underneath receivers better.

2)I don't know how to say this, but I will try my best. It seems from my observation that there are a couple of personality conflicts going on during the game that is affecting the teams performance. I know when mine played the game, he had a couple of players he didn't get along with off the field, but when he stepped between the hashes that went away for 48 or more minutes. If they made a good play, shake their hand, give them a high-five, a pat on the helmet whatever. You were out there for 1 purpose and that is to win for your 'team' and your school. After the game and in the classroom next week, you can go back to hanging with who you hang with. But NEVER do you take that with you in the game. I know it may be hard for kids 15-18 but you got to give it your best shot Here is an example of what I mean; Let's pick two players. Player 1 is the QB and Player 2 is a Receiver. A pass play is called. Player 2 runs an underneath route to pull the LB off of wide receiver #3. But the LB leaves him alone and doubles #3 leaving player 2 wide open. Player 1 sees this but becasue he doesn't like 2, he still trys to get the ball to the now double covered #3. (I hope this made sense) It doesn't matter who gets their name or picture in the paper after the game, all that matters is that a win allows your team to play another week deeper into the playoffs and another week closer to the "pizza box" , "turf", "louisville" whatever chant you choose.

Maybe I am wrong about this and if so I sincerely apoligize for it. I love this team and will continue to cheer you on each week.

Go Devils.

I agree with you 100% everything you said there is true, You mite not be friends in school but when you both walk onto that field they better be you best friend of come later Nov. and the first week of dec. you will find your self sitting in the stands watch other school's play.

NOW LETS GET THIS KIDS FIRED UP AND WANT TO PLAY AS A TEAM LET'S GO DEVILS
We can harp and complain all we want about the on field leadership but the bottom line is it is not going to happen at this point in the season. I think it would be a miracle if a player stepped forward at this point. I don't see it happening so maybe we should just leave it alone and not feed the problem. I think we should focus on something that can be changed like the better tackling. Russell came on on Friday and tackled great. I just have a feeling that we might see a new Russell come out against Raceland. Forget the pass and run it right at them. Now that is Russell football. Man I love them Red Devils.
Russelldad Wrote:I just got a chance to read all the posts so far, and I wanted to add my thoughts to what has already been said.

2)I also agree that it is much harder to roll to your 'off-side' left and set your feet and throw a good ball. And with those weather conditions, that also made it even harder. If I'm not mistaken his only 2 completions came from rolling to his throwing side.

Maybe I am wrong about this and if so I sincerely apologize for it. I love this team and will continue to cheer you on each week.

Go Devils.

Right on. You are not wrong in any way. This stuff does happen. I know exactly what you are talking about. I lived it in 1970 when we had two key players on our team that hated each other. They were a QB and an All state running back. Back then the QB called about half the plays and the coach the rest. The QB never, that I know of called the RB number for any play. This was noticed by everyone on the team and hurt us.

I think putting AJ back in the shotgun when it is obvious that we are going to pass and give him more time.

Go Devils.
Russell 's passing was not too good and the offense was not hard to figure out. The ball was given to Abrams just about every play and Storm didn't even touch the ball. When the passing is 2-15, that might mean stop passing and stick to what Russell does best and that is running
devil_guy_316 Wrote:Russell 's passing was not too good and the offense was not hard to figure out. The ball was given to Abrams just about every play and Storm didn't even touch the ball. When the passing is 2-15, that might mean stop passing and stick to what Russell does best and that is running
Maybe, the weather really affected the game. Wet weather always hurts the pass. The Defense from Mason was ready. Russell and Mason are evenly matched but on this night they got the better of Russell. With a couple of plays going the other way Russell could have come out the victor.
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
I really thought the play calling was atrocious. I read where someone said they were stopping Abrams. This is not true. We averaged almost 7 yds per carry if you take away the sacks late ion the game. We were running the ball well. Yes Mason made some good plays, but overall it was ridiculous. Of all the games to try throwing so much, with Dave out, and terrible conditions. We beat Mason in every statistical category, but lost by 2 TD's. There was no reason not to continually feed Abrams. Mason's biggest weakness is their ability to stop the run, but we try and pass all game long. LOL what a joke. I'm sorry noone can aruge all the passing that went on, there were multiple drives where we were 2nd and 4 and passed on 2 straight plays and punted. 4th and 1 and you run a dive play behind Zach Smith? Come on that kid doesn't even belong in the game. Burgess needs to be at left tackle. Its almost like the staff doesn't even want to win, they do more to their own team than the opposing team does.

Now when we play Belfry and they will put 9 or 10 guys in the box and have poor pass defense, we will try and run it down their throats, and Dave should be healthy by then. Yet we will still try and run it down their throats. Same goes for Raceland this week, they have poor pass D also, but a strong D line, and AJ needs to get rid of the ball quicker, quit looking for the 50 yd pass, and take the possession passes.

Definsively, I've yet to figure out where our LB's are disappearing to for what seems like half the game. Its like they start out strong making play after play, then they don't show back up until the fourth quarter.

Dline just needs to start trying to get penetration. If the coaches are telling them different, they might want to sit back and watch a few of the teams that beat us this year, and see what their dline did at the snap of the ball, I bet it wasn't stand straight up and play JFL gap control.

Defensively we are not very good, offensively we could do much better. Its just like we make no in game adjustments, we don't react to what the other team is doing. Mcglone has it in his head he's going to do one thing and does it for the entire game no matter if its working or not. Its about time for him to retire, well 10 years ago would have been nice. Let some of these other coaches like Morris, Jones or Edwards have more of a say in the in game adjustments and play calling.
Beetle01 Wrote:I really thought the play calling was atrocious. I read where someone said they were stopping Abrams. This is not true. We averaged almost 7 yds per carry if you take away the sacks late ion the game. We were running the ball well. Yes Mason made some good plays, but overall it was ridiculous. Of all the games to try throwing so much, with Dave out, and terrible conditions. We beat Mason in every statistical category, but lost by 2 TD's. There was no reason not to continually feed Abrams. Mason's biggest weakness is their ability to stop the run, but we try and pass all game long. LOL what a joke. I'm sorry noone can aruge all the passing that went on, there were multiple drives where we were 2nd and 4 and passed on 2 straight plays and punted. 4th and 1 and you run a dive play behind Zach Smith? Come on that kid doesn't even belong in the game. Burgess needs to be at left tackle. Its almost like the staff doesn't even want to win, they do more to their own team than the opposing team does.

Now when we play Belfry and they will put 9 or 10 guys in the box and have poor pass defense, we will try and run it down their throats, and Dave should be healthy by then. Yet we will still try and run it down their throats. Same goes for Raceland this week, they have poor pass D also, but a strong D line, and AJ needs to get rid of the ball quicker, quit looking for the 50 yd pass, and take the possession passes.

Definsively, I've yet to figure out where our LB's are disappearing to for what seems like half the game. Its like they start out strong making play after play, then they don't show back up until the fourth quarter.

Dline just needs to start trying to get penetration. If the coaches are telling them different, they might want to sit back and watch a few of the teams that beat us this year, and see what their dline did at the snap of the ball, I bet it wasn't stand straight up and play JFL gap control.

Defensively we are not very good, offensively we could do much better. Its just like we make no in game adjustments, we don't react to what the other team is doing. Mcglone has it in his head he's going to do one thing and does it for the entire game no matter if its working or not. Its about time for him to retire, well 10 years ago would have been nice. Let some of these other coaches like Morris, Jones or Edwards have more of a say in the in game adjustments and play calling.

i agree with you 100% ther are some people who shouldnt even be on the team
devil_guy_316 Wrote:Russell 's passing was not too good and the offense was not hard to figure out. The ball was given to Abrams just about every play and Storm didn't even touch the ball. When the passing is 2-15, that might mean stop passing and stick to what Russell does best and that is running

Don't understand why #44 didn't touch the ball. Understand that Bailey was out this week. But #13 Abrams is not the only back that they have. Why not have put Storm in the fullback position and put Rice out on the wing. Now you have a solid blocking full back and Rice is quick enough and good enough to run the counter or reverse????? Why pass when the running game is moving the ball. Russell is known for ball control and they run and control then pass ?????? Specila teams needs work. #13 Abrams is a great runner but if your line does NOT stick with the block and the double team block fails, you don't move. EXECUTE EXECUTE EXECUTE
Yes this team has always had discipline problems and now it comes to front when they are the starters and seniors. Not All. We need to get past that. Ivan needs to take over the play calling and stick with what made has made Russell great. Liked it when he went it to huddle and started make a statement. This team has the talent and it is not over. They can still get it done.
A very tough Raceland team is coming into the HANK. And they are determined
to catch Russell down. Don't think it is going to happen though?????
Russell lace up the cleats drink a gallon of WHOOP A_ _ and let's take the trip to Louisville it can happen. The tools are there.
pitchfork Wrote:Don't understand why #44 didn't touch the ball. Understand that Bailey was out this week. But #13 Abrams is not the only back that they have. Why not have put Storm in the fullback position and put Rice out on the wing. Now you have a solid blocking full back and Rice is quick enough and good enough to run the counter or reverse????? Why pass when the running game is moving the ball. Russell is known for ball control and they run and control then pass ?????? Specila teams needs work. #13 Abrams is a great runner but if your line does NOT stick with the block and the double team block fails, you don't move. EXECUTE EXECUTE EXECUTE
Yes this team has always had discipline problems and now it comes to front when they are the starters and seniors. Not All. We need to get past that. Ivan needs to take over the play calling and stick with what made has made Russell great. Liked it when he went it to huddle and started make a statement. This team has the talent and it is not over. They can still get it done.
A very tough Raceland team is coming into the HANK. And they are determined
to catch Russell down. Don't think it is going to happen though?????
Russell lace up the cleats drink a gallon of WHOOP A_ _ and let's take the trip to Louisville it can happen. The tools are there.

Ivan is the one calling all the plays. He has been the one doing it for years. I know almost for certain that Jones has wanted it to be mixed up this year, and not be so one dimensional, then in the one game where they have the ability to go one dimensional, McGlone decides to try and pass 20 times lol. It is honestly pathetic, and I for one will let you all know, that I won't go watch a single Russell game until Ivan retires after this year. Iwouldn't be there now if it wasn't for my bro playing. I can't just blindly support such terrible lack of using your players and their abilities and giving the kids the best opportunity to win. You all act like these kids just let down, these kids know exactly what we all know, and there is nothing they can do about it. They know who should be at what positions, they know that they should have beem mixing it up more when the weather was good, they know that their dline should be able to fire off the ball and get penetration, they know that they should not be playing that terrible zone coverage that Russell has ran for over a decade, and why Russell has given up so many comeback wins to passing teams. They know all this, and it is very discouraging. Yes Ivan won state 3 years ago, but 2A was very very down that year, and that team just capitolized on being slightly more talented than every team they played. I'm glad they won it, but Russell should have droves of banners hanging around.

When was the last time a Russell team beat a team they shouldn't have? Russell never wins as an underdog, because Ivan's system solely depends on the fact that your kids must be head and shoulders better than the other team to win.
Ivan is not calling all the plays. Yes he calls alot of the plays, and he also makes mistakes just like everybody else, except maybe you BeetleO1. The bottom line is maybe we expect perfection every week from the team, and a blow out win every week, and when that doesn't happen, people start placing the blame on the kids, coaches and whoever else we can without thinking that maybe, just maybe, Russell was beat by a better team. Were there mistakes made Friday? yes. Can these mistakes be fixed? yes. Is putting all the blame on the players and coaches fair? no. Could the fans maybe get alittle more involved in a game? In thirty plus years of playing and watching McGlone football, my biggest complaint has always been lack of fan participation, but then thats just my opinion. This weeks game will be an excellent game, and the BEST team on that night will win, because they made less mistakes, and played the game as a team. Support all who participate and encouage everyone because everyone is a winner.
To answer your question on Russell winning as an underdog, I belive that in 2005 they beat a Belfry team that was the state champion the year before and was ranked higher than Russell. In 2006, they again beat a Belfry team, at Belfry. Again at the time of the game Belfry was ranked higher than Russell.
A Very Old Devil Wrote:To answer your question on Russell winning as an underdog, I believe that in 2005 they beat a Belfry team that was the state champion the year before and was ranked higher than Russell. In 2006, they again beat a Belfry team, at Belfry. Again at the time of the game Belfry was ranked higher than Russell.

-------------------I don't know who the underdog was but they don't come much more competitive or as exciting as the 05 Newport game.
Ivan calls 99% of the plays. I spent an entire season on the sidelines listening to the plays being called in when holes and gaps in the D were wide open, and Ivan just wouldn't listen and would run the same play over and over again.

I know there will be mistakes, but to try and throw 20 times last Friday when we are getting 6 or 7 yds a carry is inexcusable in my book. Mason a passing team threw less than we did, by a wide margin.

Russell was not an underdog in either game, 2005 was a very down year in Belfry standards. Those games were toss ups.

Now this Friday we are underdogs, but however, Dave should be back, the weather should be better, but we'll be lucky to see 5 passes. Mason had terrific pass D all year, but terrible run D. Raceland has great run D, but not a very good pass D. So we'll try and run against them, just like we tried to pass against Mason in a monsoon.
I know this is off topic but here goes.....

Why is it that everyone thinks that the 05 team was nothing special? They won the state championship for goodness sakes. All I read was how down everyone else was and this was the only reason they won.

I personally think that the 05 team deserves all of the accolades that were given because they brought home the hardware when the other teams didn't. With a lot of good playing and a touch of luck (Newport) they did what they needed to do to win.

Give them some credit.
A Very Old Devil Wrote:To answer your question on Russell winning as an underdog, I belive that in 2005 they beat a Belfry team that was the state champion the year before and was ranked higher than Russell. In 2006, they again beat a Belfry team, at Belfry. Again at the time of the game Belfry was ranked higher than Russell.

The 2005 Belfry team was coming off a state title, but it was also a team who had to replace the entire starting backfield, QB, nearly the entire Front 7 on defense, and both CB's (one of which was David Jones).

Russell entered that game 9-1, their lone loss coming to Boyd County.
Belfry entered 8-2 with a blowout loss to Henry Clay and a loss to a "down" Ironton team.

It was a pretty even matchup, and I believe Russell was the higher ranked team, they were also playing at home.

In 2006 Russell was the defending State Champs, returned several key pieces, and entered the game once again at 9-1, their lone loss coming in OT vs. Ashland. Belfry entered 8-2, also losing to Ashland in OT, and also dropping an OT game to Sheldon Clark.

Once again very even matchup entering the game on paper, Belfry may have been slightly favored playing at home.

The other recent matchup was 2004 when an undefeated Russell team led by Josh Gross (FWIW the best Russell team I have seen this decade) came into Death Valley at 13-0, Belfry was 12-1 with their only loss coming to Ironton. Once again, it was a pretty even matchup on paper with Belfry being the slight favorite based on the schedule they had played.

In none of these instances would I consider Russell to have been a true underdog.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The 2005 Belfry team was coming off a state title, but it was also a team who had to replace the entire starting backfield, QB, nearly the entire Front 7 on defense, and both CB's (one of which was David Jones).

Russell entered that game 9-1, their lone loss coming to Boyd County.
Belfry entered 8-2 with a blowout loss to Henry Clay and a loss to a "down" Ironton team.

It was a pretty even matchup, and I believe Russell was the higher ranked team, they were also playing at home.

In 2006 Russell was the defending State Champs, returned several key pieces, and entered the game once again at 9-1, their lone loss coming in OT vs. Ashland. Belfry entered 8-2, also losing to Ashland in OT, and also dropping an OT game to Sheldon Clark.

Once again very even matchup entering the game on paper, Belfry may have been slightly favored playing at home.

The other recent matchup was 2004 when an undefeated Russell team led by Josh Gross (FWIW the best Russell team I have seen this decade) came into Death Valley at 13-0, Belfry was 12-1 with their only loss coming to Ironton. Once again, it was a pretty even matchup on paper with Belfry being the slight favorite based on the schedule they had played.

In none of these instances would I consider Russell to have been a true underdog.

In no way was Russell an underdog in 2005 or 06. Belfry still had a fantastic team in 05, but it was a typical "develop every week" team of Haywood's. No one really knew how good Belfry was; maybe until the Russell game in the second half when the comeback from 20-0 came up short. In hindsight, 06 was the weakest of the teams in this latest Belfry run, and Russell was clearly superior. Belfry learned a lot about just running the ball up the gut that night. But to say that Belfry has been anything more than a slight favorite in any of the recent matchups would be wrong IMHO. You are right on the money, as usual, EKU.
Beetle01 Wrote:Ivan calls 99% of the plays. I spent an entire season on the sidelines listening to the plays being called in when holes and gaps in the D were wide open, and Ivan just wouldn't listen and would run the same play over and over again.

I know there will be mistakes, but to try and throw 20 times last Friday when we are getting 6 or 7 yds a carry is inexcusable in my book. Mason a passing team threw less than we did, by a wide margin.

Russell was not an underdog in either game, 2005 was a very down year in Belfry standards. Those games were toss ups.

Now this Friday we are underdogs, but however, Dave should be back, the weather should be better, but we'll be lucky to see 5 passes. Mason had terrific pass D all year, but terrible run D. Raceland has great run D, but not a very good pass D. So we'll try and run against them, just like we tried to pass against Mason in a monsoon.

IMO the 05 team was better than the 06 team due to Matt Maynard's speed and the all-around ability of Aaron Chapman. He was big number 30, who dominated Russell almost by himself in the second half. You are right that the games were tossups. Most people look back at the 05 year as a "transitional" year, from the Jones and Howard era, rather than a "down" year. It's funny, but most Pond Creekers still say that Belfry was "one motion penalty away" from three titles in a row.
bucslover68 Wrote:IMO the 05 team was better than the 06 team due to Matt Maynard's speed and the all-around ability of Aaron Chapman. He was big number 30, who dominated Russell almost by himself in the second half. You are right that the games were tossups. Most people look back at the 05 year as a "transitional" year, from the Jones and Howard era, rather than a "down" year. It's funny, but most Pond Creekers still say that Belfry was "one motion penalty away" from three titles in a row.

Yep, Belfry had scored what was to be the game winning TD on that illegal motion call when the back barely flinched. But he did flinch and that's what matters. Conversely Russell also could dispute fairly easily that Belfry deserved to win that game as Matt Maynard stripped Jones after a loooong run in the first half that should have put the Devils up 27-0 going into the half. That was an odd game. Belfry's defense was night and day between the two halves, and I still remember Belfry fumbling the ball numerous times on a key scoring drive only to continue to recover it. I also think Haywood learned about going to the well too many times with the INT by Kasey Clark to seal the game.

Russell fans how would you compare this Devil team to that '05 squad? This Belfry team has some similarities to that '05 Belfry team, but they are much stronger and experienced at QB, deeper at RB, and a little better on the line. Thomas Varney and Matt Maynard have alot of similarities in their ability to take over the game from any spot on the field at any time. Defensively the two Belfry teams are pretty comparable IMO.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Yep, Belfry had scored what was to be the game winning TD on that illegal motion call when the back barely flinched. But he did flinch and that's what matters. Conversely Russell also could dispute fairly easily that Belfry deserved to win that game as Matt Maynard stripped Jones after a loooong run in the first half that should have put the Devils up 27-0 going into the half. That was an odd game. Belfry's defense was night and day between the two halves, and I still remember Belfry fumbling the ball numerous times on a key scoring drive only to continue to recover it. I also think Haywood learned about going to the well too many times with the INT by Kasey Clark to seal the game.

Russell fans how would you compare this Devil team to that '05 squad? This Belfry team has some similarities to that '05 Belfry team, but they are much stronger and experienced at QB, deeper at RB, and a little better on the line. Thomas Varney and Matt Maynard have alot of similarities in their ability to take over the game from any spot on the field at any time. Defensively the two Belfry teams are pretty comparable IMO.
I know we are off topic, but this all relates in some way. Ha Ha. The Maynard strip still ranks as one of the great defensive plays I have ever seen. To run some seventy yards from behind and make up at least 10-15 yards was incredible. Also, with the way the second half developed, that play alone kept Belfry in the game. Back to this year. I have not seem Russell play, but I know what they are always about and I think Belfry at home is a huge advantage. Early line, IMHUmbleO, is Belfry by a touchdown or two. The talent level between the two teams probably won't be that great, but I like the Pirates at the CAM. Mason will be a good opponent for whomever they may face.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Yep, Belfry had scored what was to be the game winning TD on that illegal motion call when the back barely flinched. But he did flinch and that's what matters. Conversely Russell also could dispute fairly easily that Belfry deserved to win that game as Matt Maynard stripped Jones after a loooong run in the first half that should have put the Devils up 27-0 going into the half. That was an odd game. Belfry's defense was night and day between the two halves, and I still remember Belfry fumbling the ball numerous times on a key scoring drive only to continue to recover it. I also think Haywood learned about going to the well too many times with the INT by Kasey Clark to seal the game.

That wasn't Jones that Maynard stripped the ball away from. Jones wouldn't have slowed down and held the ball out before he crossed the goal line. That Leon Lett impersonation was Brown.
FBALL Wrote:That wasn't Jones that Maynard stripped the ball away from. Jones wouldn't have slowed down and held the ball out before he crossed the goal line. That Leon Lett impersonation was Brown.

Smile
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Smile
I'm not kidding I saw Maynard comming and was cussing like a sailor when Brown slowed down and held that ball out. Man that ticked me off.

It does prove a point though. Don't ever ease up until the play is over. Maynard didn't. Brown did. That play to me was what got Belfry going.
FBALL Wrote:I'm not kidding I saw Maynard comming and was cussing like a sailor when Brown slowed down and held that ball out. Man that ticked me off.

It does prove a point though. Don't ever ease up until the play is over. Maynard didn't. Brown did. That play to me was what got Belfry going.

I totally agree.. Belfry was a team who looked like they had been hit by a freight train that game, had Maynard not came up with that play then it would have been 27-0 at the half and one very unconfident Belfry coming out of the break. I have no doubt that Russell would have won that game by at least 3 TD's if not for that confidence booster.

Same as '04 when David Jones blew up Gross at the goalline. That was a heavyweight slugfest until that hit/fumble and then after the long TD run by Howard it seemed that Belfry's confidence was sky high and Russell seemed to have the mindset that they were not going to be able to outscore Belfry.

This is all pertinent to this years' pending game. Russell has the talent to play with and beat Belfry, but in order to do so they cannot make that critical mistake to let Belfry get rolling, espcially at home. Conversely, one or two empty posessions and/or turnovers by Belfry and all the Devils' struggles this season can quickly be forgetten and we could see them metamorphasize into your typical Russell juggernaut. That is what scares me to death about playing Russell in Round 2.

to compare this team to the 05 team, I think offensively they may be more of a threat, but since the OLine is not doing their jobs, its hard to tell. This team was more efficient and played harder in the Cabell scrimmage, than they have all season. They completely dominated a 2500 student school thast has about 4 d1 players, and the biggest and best offensive line in WV, and maybe KY with the exception of St. X. They have a couple good linemen, and if the coaches would do right by this team and put Burgess at LT instead of playing the coaches son who couldn't block my 8yo cousin, the line would be much improved. Cordle's passing has also dropped off for w/e reason. He seems to be playing timid because he gets about .2 seconds to get a pass off, because usually the pressure comes from the left side over top our tackle.

Defensively, 05 was much better. Our advantage defensively is our quickness, but our coaches won't utilize that by stunting. They also make us play in this crappy zone when we have DB's that can cover just about anyone one on one.

05 probably 2TD's better. But this team oculd beat them if they were done right with the personell, maybe 2 or 3 out of 10 times.
[quote=Beetle01] This team was more efficient and played harder in the Cabell scrimmage, than they have all season. They completely dominated a 2500 student school thast has about 4 d1 players, and the biggest and best offensive line in WV, and maybe KY with the exception of St. X.

I agree with this statement.