Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mason Co. 20 - Russell 7
FBALL Wrote:In a way I agree. That ^ is the problem.

I was waiting for russell to come out at half time with the power I. It did not happen. I think it may have worked.
Jeepman Wrote:I was waiting for russell to come out at half time with the power I. It did not happen. I think it may have worked.

With the penalties and the turnovers Russell never got into the flow much in the second half.

I did not like the play calling and like you I wouldn't mind seeing the Power I a little bit as well. It all just really boiled down to Mason County executed and took advantage of some scoring opportunities and Russell did not.

Although not likely I wouldn't mind seeing a rematch in the playoffs.
Devil09 Wrote:That's the the problem the coaching hasn't changed. This is a different team.

I guess "it is what it is" so to speak. It does certainly seem like the Russell coaching staff is going to run the same system regardless.

FBall is right in that everyone is fine with it in years when we have talent that fits the system. This year, though, it is apparent that all the pieces aren't necessarily fitting together. Is it the coaches' fault for not identifying and installing a system that this group of players can succeed with or is it the players' fault for not playing well within the existing system? Coach McGlone has been around for quite awhile and has been pretty successful. I guess it's like FBall says....do you call him stubborn or patient? Big Grin
The run was very good in the first half. We ate the clock and moved the ball. Why start passing? Stick with what works. This is what I mean about the play calls. Not just in this game.
Devil09 Wrote:The run was very good in the first half. We ate the clock and moved the ball. Why start passing? Stick with what works. This is what I mean about the play calls. Not just in this game.

That I totally agree with. The running game looked just fine. The play calling for all of the passing was very questionable.
Why didnt Travis Jones run the ball tonight?
Devil09 Wrote:Why didnt Travis Jones run the ball tonight?

Because he was playing gaurd.

Right now that needs to be where his concentration lies. He had some nice traps. He is a strong kid that can run and his blocking is vital to the Russell offense. Like we said the running game was going fine. Why change it up.
You can only run Drew so many times. The kid can run, change it up.
Devil09 Wrote:The run was very good in the first half. We ate the clock and moved the ball. Why start passing? Stick with what works. This is what I mean about the play calls. Not just in this game.

Well...what consistently works with this year's Russell team? Abrams' runs are clearly the best plays they consistently have. How many times did he run tonight? It seemed like a lot. They didn't have Bailey to mix things up so I guess they tried to mix it up more by passing. They tried Rice up the middle and on a pitch play a few times, but that didn't seem to go too far tonight. If we had a good passing game, the play calling would not have been called into question. I agree with FBall again. Why does every pass have to be deep?

Personally, I'd like to see a variety of different things that they don't do. I'd like to see them stand up and just throw the ball to Mitchell allowing him to go 1 on 1 with his guy. He seems to be one of the better open field runners on the team and the defense was playing way off of him tonight. I have little doubt this could very effective for us IF we could consistently and quickly complete the pass. I'd also like to see Dillon utilized with some short passes over the middle. He should be able to win battles with linebackers with his size and he has proven he can catch the ball. I'd like to see a healthy Bailey getting the ball on some screen passes so he can utilize his running skills. I'd like to see Abrams dotting the power I for a series or 2 to really hammer away at the opponent.

Then again, I'm not a coach...just a fan. I really hope the coaches figure out some way to inspire this team in the coming weeks.
We saw what happens when you dont make a change.
ryanparker Wrote:Well...what consistently works with this year's Russell team? Abrams' runs are clearly the best plays they consistently have. How many times did he run tonight? It seemed like a lot. They didn't have Bailey to mix things up so I guess they tried to mix it up more by passing. They tried Rice up the middle and on a pitch play a few times, but that didn't seem to go too far tonight. If we had a good passing game, the play calling would not have been called into question. I agree with FBall again. Why does every pass have to be deep?

Personally, I'd like to see a variety of different things that they don't do. I'd like to see them stand up and just throw the ball to Mitchell allowing him to go 1 on 1 with his guy. He seems to be one of the better open field runners on the team and the defense was playing way off of him tonight. I have little doubt this could very effective for us IF we could consistently and quickly complete the pass. I'd also like to see Dillon utilized with some short passes over the middle. He should be able to win battles with linebackers with his size and he has proven he can catch the ball. I'd like to see a healthy Bailey getting the ball on some screen passes so he can utilize his running skills. I'd like to see Abrams dotting the power I for a series or 2 to really hammer away at the opponent.

Then again, I'm not a coach...just a fan. I really hope the coaches figure out some way to inspire this team in the coming weeks.

You should be! It would work.
It's hard for a zebra to change it stripes this late in the year.

Did I hear Ivan right on the post game show he felt Mason pushed Russell around a little?

Hey guys I am not trying to argue You know this team better than I. If I offend anyone I apolochize.
ryanparker Wrote:Well...what consistently works with this year's Russell team? Abrams' runs are clearly the best plays they consistently have. How many times did he run tonight? It seemed like a lot. They didn't have Bailey to mix things up so I guess they tried to mix it up more by passing. They tried Rice up the middle and on a pitch play a few times, but that didn't seem to go too far tonight. If we had a good passing game, the play calling would not have been called into question. I agree with FBall again. Why does every pass have to be deep?

I agree on Mitchell. Get him the ball via a quick pass. If teams are going to play that far off let him run an option route. Just stand up and throw it to him or let him run a quick slant or out. They did run him on a short out pattern that was open but he slipped in the mud and the pass was incomplete.

Dillon had one big catch for a first down. Let him drag across the field like that or just settle in between the linebackers.

The most important part of this though is that the QB has to see the recievers and deliever the pass. It always seems as if every pass has to go deep. They don't. There were open recievers on short routes that were not thrown to. Every team Russell plays backs off and plays the deep ball. Work the underneath stuff and then you can stretch the field.
Congrats to Mason County on a very big win!

Looks like the Red Devils are gonna have to make the trip to Pond Creek in the 2nd round, that is if they win in the 1st round.
ryanparker Wrote:I guess "it is what it is" so to speak. It does certainly seem like the Russell coaching staff is going to run the same system regardless.

FBall is right in that everyone is fine with it in years when we have talent that fits the system. This year, though, it is apparent that all the pieces aren't necessarily fitting together. Is it the coaches' fault for not identifying and installing a system that this group of players can succeed with or is it the players' fault for not playing well within the existing system? Coach McGlone has been around for quite awhile and has been pretty successful. I guess it's like FBall says....do you call him stubborn or patient? Big Grin

Neither. The talent just isn't there this year IMO.

It's not always the coaching.

You guys are staring to sound like a bunch of Bengal fans on Sunday evenings....Smile
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Congrats to Mason County on a very big win!

Looks like the Red Devils are gonna have to make the trip to Pond Creek in the 2nd round, that is if they win in the 1st round.

Don't sell this team short. They have dominated the teams that they should but lost three games to really good teams.

I don't have any doubt that there will be a Russell/Belfry matchup in round 2. I just hope that Russell doesn't get down on themselves and plays up to their capabilities. If so it should be a good hard hitting game. If Russell continues to dwell on their mistakes that game could get ugly.

First things first though. A big matchup with Raceland in a game that I know nobody from either school wants to lose. It should be a real slobber knocker.
Could we try to put Abrams back in the Wildcat formation ala Ronnie Brown / Channing Fugate? Would that have a shot of working? Big Grin

Just throwing out some ideas here.

In all seriousness, though, I do think we need to come at Raceland with some sort of different stuff next week for 2 reasons. One reason is because we may actually need it to compete with them since they will likely be overly prepared for our typical attack. Another reason is to instill some excitement in our players. I think believing in them enough to run some different stuff might be a spark this team needs.
DevilsWin Wrote:Neither. The talent just isn't there this year IMO.

I kinda disagree.

There is enough talent. Just not enough teamwork. This team needs heart. Somebody call Shane Falco.
I only wish I could say what I fell.
Devil09 Wrote:I only wish I could say what I fell.
You can. That is what this website is for. Just keep it clean.

Unless you feel that it would be detrimental in some way.
FBALL Wrote:I kinda disagree.

There is enough talent. Just not enough teamwork. This team needs heart. Somebody call Shane Falco.

First, I had to Google to figure out who Shane Falco is.

That being said, though, we have heard this team needs heart ever since the Ashland game. It is clear that the heart we are looking for them to have is not going to blossom if we keep doing the same things. I think the onus is on the coaches at this point to shake some stuff up, try something a little different, and give the team something to get excited and inspired about again.
Belfry may not want any of Russell befor it is said and done with.

Who would be the likley first round opponet for the Devils?

In the second round if both teams advanced wouldn't they play Mason again?
I only wish the best for this team. What does it take to inspire this team? Tonight my kid and others tried.
kybaseball Wrote:Belfry may not want any of Russell befor it is said and done with.

Who would be the likley first round opponet for the Devils?

I think it is Pike County Central.
FBALL Wrote:I kinda disagree.

Seriously?

You think this years team is on the same level as the 2004-2007 teams?

I would say more like the 2001 and 2003 Red Devils.

They are a very hard working and talented bunch, but like you said in a previous post not Great!

Abrams is a good back but he's not among the greats like some suggest.

A good Russell team is better than most good teams but I said early on this year that Mason Co was the favorite in the district and it came to pass.

If Russell wants to rebound from this loss and finish better than 7-5 they better get it together right now.

Don't be that team!

Play for the guy beside you the guy before you and the guys after you!

Raceland doesn't loaf and they're argueably the best team in eastern Ky right now.

Defend the R!:devilflam :redboxer:
ryanparker Wrote:First, I had to Google to figure out who Shane Falco is.

That being said, though, we have heard this team needs heart ever since the Ashland game. It is clear that the heart we are looking for them to have is not going to blossom if we keep doing the same things. I think the onus is on the coaches at this point to shake some stuff up, try something a little different, and give the team something to get excited and inspired about again.

To be honest I thought they did tonight.

Alot of changes on defense. Most really seemed to pay off. I like Burgess at defensive end and Fosson at Safety. Fosson was really not strong enough to play tough on the line of scrimmage. This let Abrams rest and Fosson use his speed to come up and assist against the run. Also thought Stapelton played well on defense.

On offense I think that is what all of the passing was about. Yeah Russell needs a passing game to compliment the run. Tonight they went overboard.

Right now too many chiefs and not enough indians.

On
DevilsWin Wrote:Seriously?

You think this years team is on the same level as the 2004-2007 teams?

I would say more like the 2001 and 2003 Red Devils.

They are a very hard working and talented bunch, but like you said in a previous post not Great!

Abrams is a good back but he's not among the greats like some suggest.

A good Russell team is better than most good teams but I said early on this year that Mason Co was the favorite in the district and it came to pass.

If Russell wants to rebound from this loss and finish better than 7-5 they better get it together right now.

Don't be that team!

Play for the guy beside you the guy before you and the guys after you!

Raceland doesn't loaf and they're argueably the best team in eastern Ky right now.

Defend the R!:devilflam :redboxer:

No, I never said they were as talented as 05 or 06.

They lost some good players and one great player from last year but the talent level is still there.

Yeah the 01 and 03 teams are very comparable. I did say not great but good. There have not been many teams at schools this size as good as the 04, 05 and 06 teams. The 02 team may have been better than all of them.

Abrams is a good back. He is not the difference maker that Gross was or Clark. He is a very good running back though and Bailey when healthy gives them a big play threat.

You are right about Mason County too. They have really improved along the lines and are a team to be reckoned with.

Its the last few lines of your post that I think alot of these guys don't get. Its not about the individual. Its not about stats. Its about winning and doing your best which takes everybody on the field working toward one goal.

Oh yeah, seriously, someone get Falco.
Devil09 Wrote:I only wish the best for this team. What does it take to inspire this team? Tonight my kid and others tried.

When I watch them this year...it is evident that we have some individually talented players who do try. For whatever reason, it just seems the entire group hasn't come together as a "band of brothers" sort of thing. There doesn't appear to be cohesion and unity between all 11 guys out on the field. For example, I don't see that the other 10 guys are all truly happy when the 11th guy makes a play. I think these things are needed to be an elite team. Russell has managed to be decent this year based on the good individual talent that they do have, though.

That is why I think something needs to be changed up to light a fire under them that might have a chance of bringing them together. Perhaps it's some new guys in the lineup here and there? Perhaps it's a few new plays as we suggested? If we just continue to do the same things, though, I think we should probably expect the same results every time we face a "good" team. The closest we have come to a "good" team this year is 13 points and that was in tonight's game. You clearly know much more than me about their personalities, but unless they can be brought together to want to win for each other these last few weeks, the season is very likely to end with some ugly results against Raceland and Belfry.
No one has mentioned the tackling. I think Russell improved in this area. They made several open field tackles and drove through the ball carrier.
Jeepman Wrote:No one has mentioned the tackling. I think Russell improved in this area. They made several open field tackles and drove through the ball carrier.

Good point. I thought the defense was improved tonight.