Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you were a coach how would your run your program?
Something like conditioning sechdule, type of Offense, type of Defense, Special teams. Also would you rather have a team deep rooted in tradition of football or a team with lots of talent looking for a leader to show them the way.

Just intrested in seeing what some people say before I post mine.
I would run a Itight, Power I and Fulll House Offense. (power running with maximum blocking) Defense I would run a 5-2 defensive front. I would also play ACDC on the loud speaker during practice.

I would have a mandatory intensive weight program during the offseason. You dont lift religiously you dont play for me. Simple as that.
I would set up a tough non district schedule every year to prepare for later in the season, Run a 5-3 defense, Play book would have the Wishbone, Split back, Shotgun, Power I. Have a year round weightlifting program and speed training.Thats how i'd run my program
I would get really big and strong linemen. Quick people to run the ball. Also a quarterback with a rocket launcher for a right arm.
bballcrazee Wrote:I would get really big and strong linemen. Quick people to run the ball. Also a quarterback with a rocket launcher for a right arm.

You sound like Bill Bellichik(sp) with the new england patriots Smile but with Peyton Manning as QB :thumb:
football05 Wrote:You sound like Bill Bellichik(sp) with the new england patriots Smile but with Peyton Manning as QB :thumb:

I hope I dont sound like someone called "Bill". But I dont know who that is, so I will just take it as a compliment.
In my opinion there are two offenses which are almost impossible to be stopped on the HS level if ran properly.

1. The I formation, West Coast style. Mobile QB who can run the option if need be and can throw with a moving pocket. A sturdy fullback who can block but also catch passes. A tailback with good hole vision and a quick first step. A solid TE with good hands. And two receivers who run solid routes. A truly balanced offense with the threat of the QB killin you either in the air or with his feet becomes almost impossible to stop when you can start running some play action.

2. The Spread-Option attack. Watch Urban Meyer's scheme now with Florida and what he did at Utah and BGSU. It is built around a versatile QB, quick backs, and a mobile O-line. The option out of the shotgun keeps your QB safe ebcause it gives him a cushion before reading the DE. The zone option (where you read space instead of the man reacting) forces the defense to eb fundamentally sound at all points (you won't find many HS defenses capable of maintaining their assingments the entire game). It spreads the field and leaves potential to blow up the middle if the LB's don't react properly. Gives plenty of room for reverses and sucks the CB's and Safeties in to free up deep throws.
Defensively I would run a 3-4 with undersized but extremely quick linemen, The outside backers are the disrupters and free to blitz about, but also capable of covering TE's with their speed. The inside backers are primarily for run support. The Bob Redman type of confusion defense is perfectly ran from a 3-4 where you show blitz every play but mix up who drops in coverage. The key to a good 3-4 are the linebackers and their ability to read a play and then attack. In loong yardage situations the two outside backers can be replaced with added DB's to create Dime or Nickel packages.

Tradition is great,,, but talent is the key. You give me a team with exceptional team speed and playmaking ability and they will win,,eventually they will begin their own deep rooted tradition.

Special teams wise I feel this is an area that is completely neglected in EKY. The value of a consistent soccer style place kicker is exponential in the smashmouth EKY area where points are put at a premium. I would have one assistant coach who had a sole purpose of coachign special teams. This coach would be allowed to take any second string player he wanted, as well as choose any return man he wanted. All schemes, punt/kick block sets, fakes, etc are in his hands...he just is held liable.

The most important part of any football team is discipline, the ability to adjust to any situation, a productive feeder program running your system, and SPEED.
Not going to be very descriptive but here:

Strong d-line, good blockers so your qb with good accuracy, not just a rocket, can actually throw the ball. Heart in your places, not necessarily a loooong running tradition, but knowledge of the game.

Good blocks, good passes, good runners, good team.
This post is nearly impossible to reply to because any team can be as good as they want to any given year, no matter how much talent they have or not. Last year belfry had probably 3 good players, but they had 8 other players who werent very good but laid it all on the line every play. And Last year Prestonsburg had probably 8 great players but they didnt play as hard for as long as the Belfry players did, and Prestonsburg is 0-4 this year with nearly the exact same O-line. But if i COULD choose any players I wanted, here is how i would set up my team

Offense: I would choose a tall QB who could run under a 4.5 or 4.6, and I would get 5 decent sized linemen, not monster linemen (6'0 210 or somewhere around there) and I would make sure that all those linemen ran under a 5.3, or they wouldnt play. I would pick a big RB and a big FB, so I could pound the ball up the middle and I would use my quick linemen and run alot of trap plays, sweeps, and counters just so I could get my linemen moving so they could make some big hits. I would need 1 TE who could run and catch because a TE is a very very effective weapon in any offense if he is used right. I would get 1 fast receiver (4.3 or 4.4 to run quick slants or quick outs) and i would get one tall receiver (6'3 or 6'4 to run deep routes and use his size to outjump smaller DB's). I would also run alot of keeps with the QB after running the ball up the middle alot. A linemen would pull on every play unless it was a short yardage situation. I would run alot of I formation, 2-back shotgun (suprise suprise, i'm from Prestonsburg, hehe), 4-wide shotgun, double tight, empty backfield, and the power I for short yardage. My QB would practice alot of option in practice and he would practice alot of roll-out passes. My RB would be very strong and he would practice alot of running with his shoulders down and he would practice running behind his FB alot (to develop good chemistry in reading holes in the line). My linemen would practice hitting low alot and getting through the chute as fast as possible. Receivers would need to learn how to stock block well and use alot of fakes (head, feet and eyes) on their routes.

Defense: On defense i would run a 3-4 as my base defense. I would get the 4 craziest people on my team and make them lift weights as hard as they could and they would be my LB's, they would also be the leaders of my team. I would teach my d-linemen to penetrate and try to draw double teams all night, so that my LB's would be freed up enough to read the flow of the play and make bone-crushing hits to pump up the team. My DE's would be quick but also would lift weights hard. My DB's would be the fastest players on the team.

Conditioning: My conditioning program would be year-round, with one month off after my team exited the playoff's from the previous year. Conditioning for linemen, TE's, FB and LB's would consist of 10-20 40 yard sprints every other day and alot of stretching, and agility drills on days they didnt sprint. Conditioning for QB, WR, RB, and DB would be 5-15 60 or 80 yard sprints every other day, and they would do agilities and stretch with the rest of the team on days in between sprinting.

Weight-lifting: Every player must show up for every lifting session unless they told me the day before and they must have a good excuse. My weightlifting would be ran by a coach besides myself because I would be outside setting up cones, bags, etc... for practice.
In my offense I would run I-form and lots of singleback 2 TE or 3 WR sets. I would use quick solid linemen (no use for 300+ lbs. behemoths, thats getting dangerous for high school players to get that big) with a dual threat QB who can run the option well. My RB would be more of a power runner with decent speed.

On defense I would run 4-4 or 46 with a bigger run-stuffing group up the middle with quick rangy outside 'backers and a hard hitting safety playing back.

As far as conditioning and weightlifting goes, I would employ a mandatory off-season weightlifting program with a strength/conditioning coach starting 2 months after the season ends. The program would involve alot of stretching and core strength work for the skill players and a strict lifting regimen for the linemen.
hmmm well i have thought on this alot
First lets start out with the heart and soul of any team the offensive lines i would want big tackles at least 6'2 270. Smaller guards like 6'1 230lbs to pull.
Offense
I woudl run power I and Wishbone lots of triple option play. id would have a 6'4 QB that can throw the ball and run not fast just able 2 get down field when needed. Big TEs that could block and catch. A quick and agile back that can catch and run. 2 big FBs that could take out the strongest of linebackers.
WR that could run a 4.6 and that are about 6'2
Defense

i would run a 3-4 with a blitzing middle linebacker and when the offense picked up the MLB blitzing send him into coverage and blitz the DB
the defensive line would be huge all of them 6'2 275 that could man handle the offensive line and could get off the ball. My line backers would the smartest hardminded people i could find someone who would back down from a big runningback. i would want quick DBs that could step up and lay some one out.
Fishing Wrote:I would run a Itight, Power I and Fulll House Offense. (power running with maximum blocking) Defense I would run a 5-2 defensive front. I would also play ACDC on the loud speaker during practice.

I would have a mandatory intensive weight program during the offseason. You dont lift religiously you dont play for me. Simple as that.

Would you punish those players who participated in other sports during the offseason? Or players from the middle school that may not have had a way to get to where your team would be lifting?
My weight session would be summer program, and be both of strength and agility training. I would run out of two tights and a wing T. But I would mix my O with pass and run and balance so that we do not run off of one solid play. And my D would be mostly stack. But if any players play any sports during the training they can use their sport as that for training for the offseason.