Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auburn Fires offensive coordinator Tony Franklin
Just read, found it kind of surprising, I was thinking he may hold off until the off season to make a change, How do you guys think the new Offensive Coord. can do with this type of offense?

Source:http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3632904
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
Where's FBALL when you need him? LOL
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:Where's FBALL when you need him? LOL

I'm here.

Scrap "The System". Throw it in the garbage and burn it. Apologize to every Auburn fan for hiring a scam artist as offensive coordinator.
FBALL Wrote:I'm here.

Scrap "The System". Throw it in the garbage and burn it. Apologize to every Auburn fan for hiring a scam artist as offensive coordinator.
The big question now is what is Auburn going to do since they put half of the season into this offense? How do you change in the middle of the season to do something new?
RUSSELL RED DEVILS
jgrubby Wrote:The big question now is what is Auburn going to do since they put half of the season into this offense? How do you change in the middle of the season to do something new?

Go back to a traditional offense and rely on a very good defense. Its old fashioned but it works.
This is just dumb. If you're going to hire a guy to install a new system, you have to expect some growing pains initially. It makes no sense at all to fire the guy in mid-season. If you thought enough of Franklin to hire him before the season, then give him more than 6 games to get things straightened out.

Not saying that Franklin's system is any better than what Auburn had last year. But obviously the higher-ups weren't happy with what they had or they wouldn't have made such a drastic hire. And if you're going to make the change, you have to commit to it. Otherwise, you come off looking just as stupid as Auburn looks in this case.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I would say that the final straw was something that probably occured that we will never know about.

I can't blame them though.

I never have been a fan of the TFS.

Too much emphasis on the pass.

There are a lot of good things about the TFS. Running perfectly sharp routes underneath the coverage is great, but you have to incorporate some different formations and establish the run to be consistantly formittable..
A trick offense might work in high school ball. But in the SEC its a different story.
What some might refer to as a trick offense did work in the SEC, Big 12, and the WAC. It is not a high school offense. It is the same offense for the most part that Edwards and Chow ran at BYU. Franklin has tweaked and changed the offense a bit so it looks less like where he learned it (Mumme, Leach and Hatcher).

It seems as if there was pressure from outside to hire TF in the first place. He has strong ties to HS in AL due to his clients and then of course what he was doing at Troy. Auburn never bought into the offense. If you watch their games they are not running Air Raid and/or not commited to it. TF run offenses tend to get away from the core he learned. You do not see the things that make the offense truely run. Word is that Tuesday Franklin took over practice and that was the last straw. He had issues with the OL coach and how things were taught. Tubberville never turned the offense completely over. If you are going to hire an OC like Franklin then you better turn the whole thing over to him and sellout to it or it ends up like this.

As far as running the ball and the Air Raid, Hatcher has done just fine running the ball while using the same passing game he played in and has coached. As far as "The System" that is a completely different topic.
barrel Wrote:What some might refer to as a trick offense did work in the SEC, Big 12, and the WAC. It is not a high school offense. It is the same offense for the most part that Edwards and Chow ran at BYU. Franklin has tweaked and changed the offense a bit so it looks less like where he learned it (Mumme, Leach and Hatcher).

It seems as if there was pressure from outside to hire TF in the first place. He has strong ties to HS in AL due to his clients and then of course what he was doing at Troy. Auburn never bought into the offense. If you watch their games they are not running Air Raid and/or not commited to it. TF run offenses tend to get away from the core he learned. You do not see the things that make the offense truely run. Word is that Tuesday Franklin took over practice and that was the last straw. He had issues with the OL coach and how things were taught. Tubberville never turned the offense completely over. If you are going to hire an OC like Franklin then you better turn the whole thing over to him and sellout to it or it ends up like this.

As far as running the ball and the Air Raid, Hatcher has done just fine running the ball while using the same passing game he played in and has coached. As far as "The System" that is a completely different topic.

Yes it is.

I agree about commiting. But what Franklin is selling in no exactly the same offense. I was never a huge fan of the Air Raid under Mumme nor Leach's version at TT. Its fine to use as part of an offense but not for every situation.
I agree it is not the same thing exactly. Franklin has twisted it and changed it. In the materials from the system clinics the old UK offense is there along with the basis of TT. That is one reason I the system teams here in KY I think have fallen short. They are not running those base 5 or so concepts.

Leach is extremely smart guy. They still run the crap out of shallow, mesh and the such. Hatcher is doing the same thing and the sad part of all the people involved with the UK program the best coach migh just be Hatcher.
barrel Wrote:I agree it is not the same thing exactly. Franklin has twisted it and changed it. In the materials from the system clinics the old UK offense is there along with the basis of TT. That is one reason I the system teams here in KY I think have fallen short. They are not running those base 5 or so concepts.

Leach is extremely smart guy. They still run the crap out of shallow, mesh and the such. Hatcher is doing the same thing and the sad part of all the people involved with the UK program the best coach migh just be Hatcher.

You may be right about Hatcher.

I'm pretty happy with Brooks right now though.
Try and sell it to someone else T.F.!
Auburn Shouldnt Have Gotten Rid of Franklin So Soon. You Have To Expect Some Screw Ups and Give The Time. But I Guess Franklin Isn't An Offensive Guru No More. I Guess The Spread/System Only Works In High School. Smile
I am happy with Brooks and the whole staff. I was just commiting on how good of a coach Hatcher is and how little credit he gets.

It is NOT a HS offense. TF is his own worst enemy. What is sold as "The System" in its base is same as TT, old BYU and UK at one time. He has tinker and twisted it but at its base it is the same. The issue here was completely internal. He was not running his "system" (I even hate saying that since he is just using what he learned from Mumme, Hatcher and Leach.). Even the HS teams in this state that have made it to the finals running it over the years seem to drift further and further away from the roots of the true system.

Auburn never bought in nor did they give TF the latitude to do it his way. Which no matter what your view of him if you are going to bring in a guy to be your OC then let him do it his way or bring in a puppet.

Another website I go to brought up Mouse Davis going to UCLA during the 70s and being fired halfway through. Let the man do his job or do not hire him
Fridaynightmare Wrote:Auburn Shouldnt Have Gotten Rid of Franklin So Soon. You Have To Expect Some Screw Ups and Give The Time. But I Guess Franklin Isn't An Offensive Guru No More. I Guess The Spread/System Only Works In High School. Smile

I agree with you that they didn't give him enough time. It takes time for teams to adjust to a new system, and maybe if he would have gotten a chance he could have done a good job. I think it was a terrible decision