Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Martin County Middle
LCC why are you so up in the air about? You got a win anyway so take it and go with it. The kids on the team are o.k. with it. So what is the problem?
Lambert #1 Wrote:Come on #1 Kicker and Chase1,

You guys have got to be crazy. When the two Letcher County team joined last year nobody wanted to play Martin Co. because they had been the dominant team in the Big Sandy two seasons in a row. Whitesburg jumped at the chance to play them and upset them to start their 12-1 streak. Tell your players that they are a little bitty weak team and see what they would say. Tell those Fresh. and Soph. football players that they were a little bitty weak team and see what they would say. Shoot tell the coach that he doesn't belong on the field with a Letcher Central and see what he says. I understand that they have had some injuries and that the level of talent is down but by no means accuse Letcher Central of picking on a weak team. Obviously your not a true Martin County fan or you wouldn't have embarrassed the whole program by telling Letcher county not to pick on a little team like Martin Co. If I'm not wrong that team is pretty much an all-star team from ALL of Martin County at least it has been in the past and the players are just Like Letcher County picked from several different schools. For the last several years I've heard that Letcher County should do their youth league like Martin County and start developing players early in house. We over here in Letcher County are trying to things as well as a Martin, Perry, Johnson County, Breathitt, New Harlan and this is just our first year of being consolidated and all those big old players that you are referring to are now in their freshmen year and these boys never had the luxury of playing on a specific 7th grade team. These guys pretty much sit the bench last year and watched their 8th grade team-mates win ball-games. Did Martin County not beat East Letcher last year? I don't think you were calling your team a (Little Bitty) team from Martin county then, did you? Well you should think before you type and realize that your county is no different than all the other consolidated teams around you and are simply having a down year. Next thing I suppose you will say is that they should drop out of the Big Sandy Conference because it is to tough?????

how am i sayin im not a true fan? and im not sayin that were gettin picked on.....all im sayin is that this a rebuilding yr for us and were in a hard conference.....im not complaining im just stating. and dont blame me for the forfiet. i dont agree with it either.
I Do Think It Will Come Down To JCM And The LCC.

Can JCM Pull It Off Again?
Chase and #1 Kicker,

I don't know, not mad over it but I hate to see a program like Martin County forfeiting. Honestly, your program was one of the ones that we strived to be like last season and this one. One thing that is bad about a forfeit is that you are costing our program about $2,000.00 in gate and concession and that's money we count on. Another reason is that now our kids go two full weeks without a game and the way it's working out it looks like we will most likely play Johnson Central in the 2nd round and that much time off hurts a team. Another is the statement that the Martin Co. kids are alright with it????? That's not something you want kids to be alright with, to me that just sends a bad message to young athletes, if your faced with adversity give up??? Not a message I want my son to receive from any coach no matter what sport he is playing. I'm pretty sure that if you had of asked Coach Howard to play his 7th graders he would have done so. This has cost our program the chance of recognizing our 8th graders and their parents in our yearly 8th grade recognition night and that's something you can't get back. Oh well it's over and done with and everybody will move on and we wish you all the best of luck in the tourny. I do know that Coach Howard and Coach Skyles are friends and he speaks highly of him so if he's alright with it I guess the rest of us have to be alright with it.
BMSPirateMom #11 Wrote:Originally Posted by slingblade93
With 22 first year kids, it is a major rebuilding year. Game after game they are getting better, just hard to play in that conference with out a lot of talent. Lafferty and Oconner are the two stand outs, I think they lost just about all the skill players from last years team. If your team had injuries and didn't have the backups two fill the spots you would forfeit as well. You probably just wouldn't admit it.

So your saying that the other kids have no talent and aren't good enough to play.

I'm glad your not part of the Pond Creek Nation!

Have you seen them play? If you can't win with the starters, and you play the best eleven that you have, how can the back ups make a difference? Yes some of the kids that are on the team are not good enough to play or have no talent. I would like to see how many teams had 22 first year players, and what their records are.

P.S. Who wants to be part of the Pond Creek Nation? NOT I!!!!
Lambert #1 Wrote:Chase and #1 Kicker,

I don't know, not mad over it but I hate to see a program like Martin County forfeiting. Honestly, your program was one of the ones that we strived to be like last season and this one. One thing that is bad about a forfeit is that you are costing our program about $2,000.00 in gate and concession and that's money we count on. Another reason is that now our kids go two full weeks without a game and the way it's working out it looks like we will most likely play Johnson Central in the 2nd round and that much time off hurts a team. Another is the statement that the Martin Co. kids are alright with it????? That's not something you want kids to be alright with, to me that just sends a bad message to young athletes, if your faced with adversity give up??? Not a message I want my son to receive from any coach no matter what sport he is playing. I'm pretty sure that if you had of asked Coach Howard to play his 7th graders he would have done so. This has cost our program the chance of recognizing our 8th graders and their parents in our yearly 8th grade recognition night and that's something you can't get back. Oh well it's over and done with and everybody will move on and we wish you all the best of luck in the tourny. I do know that Coach Howard and Coach Skyles are friends and he speaks highly of him so if he's alright with it I guess the rest of us have to be alright with it.

:Thumbs: Good post.
slingblade93 Wrote:Have you seen them play? If you can't win with the starters, and you play the best eleven that you have, how can the back ups make a difference? Yes some of the kids that are on the team are not good enough to play or have no talent. I would like to see how many teams had 22 first year players, and what their records are.

P.S. Who wants to be part of the Pond Creek Nation? NOT I!!!!

Sad, that you would feel that away about your team and those poor kids that play for you.
BMSPirateMom #11 Wrote:Sad, that you would feel that away about your team and those poor kids that play for you.

Don't feel bad for the kids, It's not there fault. In todays world where every little johnny and little susie gets to make the team and get a trophy I think it takes away from exclusivness of being on the team. So therefore everbody comes out and mommies and daddies get mad if little johnny and susie don't get to play, and the good players get upset and rightfully so. So in just a few years you have good players that just quit playing.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Chase and #1 Kicker,

Im not alright with the forfeit....
Once again and I promise to not reply to this post again. Last year when I went to watch the old Whitesburg team play Martin County I just sat there and thought to myself "Wow, this is what playing in a legit conference like the Big Sandy feels like". I looked around that field and realized that we were not playing in the little Letcher County Athletic Association anymore. The Martin Co. kids were so disciplined and well coached, the high school players stayed after practice and yelled for the younger kids and the crowd was what I wanted our crowd to turn into. I left there that night and understood why Coach Howard wanted to jump into that conference so badly. When I asked him why he wanted to travel so far to play games he told me that to get better he had to let his boys play better competition and he knew that this was the right thing to do. I thought he was crazy when I watched the Martin County team warm up that night and I actually dreaded watching the game. I watched a game that only lasted 32 minutes but I watched his team grow up that night on that field. His team went on to accomplish what nobody in Letcher County thought was possible (12-1) season playing that type of competition. What I am trying to say is that Martin Co. was a milestone win for our county and I just hate to see them in this position. I don't know what the problem is and how it got into this shape but I for one HOPE that they fix the problem and PLEASE don't drop out of the Big Sandy Conference because it's your team that helped us realize we could play with the BIG BOYS. I apologize if I offended anyone in my posts over this situation but I just really feel that this was not a good idea (forfeiting) for the future of your Junior High program.
Lambert #1 Wrote:Once again and I promise to not reply to this post again. Last year when I went to watch the old Whitesburg team play Martin County I just sat there and thought to myself "Wow, this is what playing in a legit conference like the Big Sandy feels like". I looked around that field and realized that we were not playing in the little Letcher County Athletic Association anymore. The Martin Co. kids were so disciplined and well coached, the high school players stayed after practice and yelled for the younger kids and the crowd was what I wanted our crowd to turn into. I left there that night and understood why Coach Howard wanted to jump into that conference so badly. When I asked him why he wanted to travel so far to play games he told me that to get better he had to let his boys play better competition and he knew that this was the right thing to do. I thought he was crazy when I watched the Martin County team warm up that night and I actually dreaded watching the game. I watched a game that only lasted 32 minutes but I watched his team grow up that night on that field. His team went on to accomplish what nobody in Letcher County thought was possible (12-1) season playing that type of competition. What I am trying to say is that Martin Co. was a milestone win for our county and I just hate to see them in this position. I don't know what the problem is and how it got into this shape but I for one HOPE that they fix the problem and PLEASE don't drop out of the Big Sandy Conference because it's your team that helped us realize we could play with the BIG BOYS. I apologize if I offended anyone in my posts over this situation but I just really feel that this was not a good idea (forfeiting) for the future of your Junior High program.

thank you i really appreciate this post....
chase1:

are you guys going to play in the playoffs. just wondering because i have heard that you might forfit
there were several reasons this game was called off, Martin Co. has fall break during this week some kids would have been gone also we had several injured the two previos games that were back to back, tues. and wed. that would have left us trying to play 3 games in 5 days, with approximately 12 players to try and play avery good and well coached team. The superintendant called the game and I had to call Coach Howard and explain our situation. Coach Howard and I have talked several times about the season and I thanked him for standing up for us in the conference meeting when I tried to get Martin Co. put in the other division, but to no avail this is what success brings.Coach Howard knows that I am a very competative person but there is a point as a coach when you have to think about the safety of your kids and Im glad the superintendant thought of this.To answer the question about playoffs, yes we will play .
Ok thanks kp10 for letting me know.