Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EK MINERS sign Wayne Turner
Just received confirmation from an inside source that the EK Miners have signed a big time point guard that used to play for our State School. His name is Wayne Turner. That is a move the Miners organization will not be sorry for making.
Never heard of him.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Never heard of him.

Im gonna assume you're joking...lol

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statist...Wayne.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Turner
I herd the news last night at the draft party from a friend, didnt know if there was any truth to it though. Great news though!!
ComfortEagle Wrote:Never heard of him.

:eek:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:rockon:
Smart move for the Miners.
alfus21 Wrote::eek:

Kidding, kidding, kidding. :moon:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Umm, he's 32, almost 33, has he still got game?
PC_You_Know Wrote:Umm, he's 32, almost 33, has he still got game?

Just as much game as the rest of the CBA im sure...
Great signee! Welcome back Wayne!!!
I wouldn't get to excited and say they signed a big name, Turner is pushing his mid 30's and he couldn't even cut in the league(NBA) when he was much younger. He'll contribute some but don't look for him to be a star. Just another ball handler imo.
Warriors23RJ Wrote:I wouldn't get to excited and say they signed a big name, Turner is pushing his mid 30's and he couldn't even cut in the league(NBA) when he was much younger. He'll contribute some but don't look for him to be a star. Just another ball handler imo.

Lawrence Barnes
Guard
6-5
Indianapolis
Mike Crain
Guard
6-2
Valdosta State
Mike Dean
Guard
6-3
Middle Tennessee
Marcus Heard
Forward
6-7
DePaul
James "Boo" Jackson
Forward
6-9
Eastern Michigan
Reo Logan
Center
6-11
Georgia State
Jason McLeish
Guard
6-0
Eastern Kentucky
Josh Pace
Guard
6-5
Syracuse
Daniel Price
Guard
6-0
Pikeville
Steve Thomas
Forward
6-8
Middle Tennessee

I think its safe to say that compared to these guys on the current roster, Wayne Turner is a BIG NAME.
Sweet, Wayne is easily one of my top 5 UK players all time, especially was during his playing days but **** I didn't really he was getting that far up there in age. It seemed like it was just yesterday.
Great deal, glad to see him somewhere. should be a big improvement for the miners.
I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok -Shaquille O'Neal
Warriors23RJ Wrote:I wouldn't get to excited and say they signed a big name, Turner is pushing his mid 30's and he couldn't even cut in the league(NBA) when he was much younger. He'll contribute some but don't look for him to be a star. Just another ball handler imo.

Whether he can still play or not is secondary, in my opinion. This is a move that will help increase the average attendance, which was badly needed. They needed to do something like this to draw in more fans.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Whether he can still play or not is secondary, in my opinion. This is a move that will help increase the average attendance, which was badly needed. They needed to do something like this to draw in more fans.

EXACTLY :Thumbs:
That is a huge pickup for the Miners. I have always been a Wayne Turner fan and hope he has a ton of success for them!
More Cowbell Wrote:Whether he can still play or not is secondary, in my opinion. This is a move that will help increase the average attendance, which was badly needed. They needed to do something like this to draw in more fans.
Oh yeah definitly, I know exactly why they signed him and I don't blame them. All I was saying is that this Wayne Turner is not the same Wayne Turner from years past and the CBA does have NBA caliber players who never got their break as for Turner had every oppertunity in the world to make it in the league. I for one wish they would MAKE AN EFFORT (notice I say that boldly)bring in Grayson Boucher AKA Professor from and 1 who played for the ATL last season. Give him what $ he wants that is realistic and that would fill the gym if thats the case. Just for the simple facts that he is arguably the biggest name in street ball and he has connections the the CBA. Its a business and celebrities in eastern Kentucky would sell tickets.

For whats its worth I'd take Daniel Price over a 30 something Wayne Turner any day and love my teams chances.

Much Respect to WT though.:Thumbs:
Warriors23RJ Wrote:Oh yeah definitly, I know exactly why they signed him and I don't blame them. All I was saying is that this Wayne Turner is not the same Wayne Turner from years past and the CBA does have NBA caliber players who never got their break as for Turner had every oppertunity in the world to make it in the league. I for one wish they would MAKE AN EFFORT (notice I say that boldly)bring in Grayson Boucher AKA Professor from and 1 who played for the ATL last season. Give him what $ he wants that is realistic and that would fill the gym if thats the case. Just for the simple facts that he is arguably the biggest name in street ball and he has connections the the CBA. Its a business and celebrities in eastern Kentucky would sell tickets.

For whats its worth I'd take Daniel Price over a 30 something Wayne Turner any day and love my teams chances.

Much Respect to WT though.:Thumbs:

Daniel Price can't even win a church league game in Inez. What a silly post.
Wayne has been working out in UK with the new crop of Wildcats, and the coaches at UK say he looks great, outplaying their P.G.'s according to the coach of the Miners.( recently left UK to go back to Boston)

As far as what Wayne has been up to--he was playing in one of the top leagues overseas last year, in New Zealand--he was playing really well before leaving the team with a minor injury.

add in Jason McLiesh at the point guard as well--former ALL-OVC performer at EKU and the Miners will have a solid 1-2 punch at the point guard position

2002-2003: Townsville Crocodiles (AUS-NBL): 31gp: 19.3pts, 7.0rbs, 5.1ast, 50%FG, 16%3pts
2003-2004: Townsville Crocodiles (AUS-NBL):
2004 May-July: BST Summer League in Nashua, New Hampshire
2004-2005: IN Feb.'05 was signed by Dakota Wizards (CBA, starting five): 11games: 10.2ppg, 2.3rpg, 4.6apg, 1.2spg, FGP: 48.5%
2005-2006: TEC Spirou Charleroi (Belgium-D1): Belgian League: 6 games: 7.5ppg, 1.7rpg, 1.2apg, 1.3spg, 2FGP: 50.0%, FT: 50.0%; ULEB Cup:
2007-2008: New Zealand Breakers (AUS-NBL, starting five), injured in Nov.'07: 11 games: 12.4ppg, 3.4rpg, 3.1apg, 1.3spg, FGP: 55.8%, 3PT: 0.0%, FT: 73.2%
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Awards/Achievements:
Mc Donald's All-America -95
NCAA Champion -96,98
West Regional All-Tournament team -97
MVP of the SEC Tournament and the NCAA South Regional -98
SEC Championship -98
Third team All-SEC -99
SEC All-Tournament team -99
Australian NBL Semifinals -03
All-Australian NBL 3rd Team -03
CBA Regular Season Champion -05
CBA Western Conference Finalist -05
I was also told, the Miners will announce the signing late next week
-STAT- Wrote:That is a huge pickup for the Miners. I have always been a Wayne Turner fan and hope he has a ton of success for them!

Now all they need is a coach.
Great signing
This is awesome!

Wayne is one of my favorite Kentucky players... I'll defiantly be making some trips to Pikeville this year to see them play.
ballcrazy Wrote:Now all they need is a coach.
Coach Keithley's style is great as long as they have the people to run it.
corndog23 Wrote:Daniel Price can't even win a church league game in Inez. What a silly post.
Daniel Price is a solid player that contributed a lot last year when he was called upon.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Coach Keithley's style is great as long as they have the people to run it.
Daniel Price is a solid player that contributed a lot last year when he was called upon.

I can agree with you there, but to say he is a better player then Wayne Turner, come on....thats ridiculous.
Lol i love that he is from kentucky and will bring in fans. But in no way is wayne turner a big name lol.
duplicate postSmile
nm..Wink
Need to get Ron Mercer and Derek Anderson now.