Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could it be....
......that somehow, someway, Belfry has became a legit favorite for the state title?

I, as a Pirate fan, figured the Pirates would be struggling mightily and regarded by most to be about the #7 or #8 team in KY yet going into this week's soon to be massacre of Magoffin County the Pirates are 2-1, their only loss coming to arguably the best team in the entire state in any class, a win over a quality 3A opponent, and with the following rankings:
#1 in AA per Lit Ratings
#4 in AA per AP Poll
#3 in AA per Massey Ratings
#3 in another website ranking publication (prior to Russell loss)

The Pirates still have some major roadblocks to clear (Pikeville, Pburg, Ironton, and SC) but it is entirely plausible that they may finish the regular season 8-2 with their only losses at the hands of possibly a 10-0 4A Henry Clay and a potentially 9-1 or 8-2 Ohio powerhouse Ironton.

Couple in the fact that the rest of 2A, in particular the other powerhouses are struggling, that Russell just got thumped by the same team who barely survived Sheldon Clark, and that Lloyd is struggling mightily, and it could somehow be possible that this young group of Pirates can hang around the top 5 in AA while getting better exponentially each week,

I honestly thought Belfry had no legit shot at Louisville this season, but low and behold thye have just as good of shot, if not better than anyone else.
I wouldn't call Pburg a road bloack for Belfry.
orisonspi Wrote:......that somehow, someway, Belfry has became a legit favorite for the state title?

I, as a Pirate fan, figured the Pirates would be struggling mightily and regarded by most to be about the #7 or #8 team in KY yet going into this week's soon to be massacre of Magoffin County the Pirates are 2-1, their only loss coming to arguably the best team in the entire state in any class, a win over a quality 3A opponent, and with the following rankings:
#1 in AA per Lit Ratings
#4 in AA per AP Poll
#3 in AA per Massey Ratings
#3 in another website ranking publication (prior to Russell loss)

The Pirates still have some major roadblocks to clear (Pikeville, Pburg, Ironton, and SC) but it is entirely plausible that they may finish the regular season 8-2 with their only losses at the hands of possibly a 10-0 4A Henry Clay and a potentially 9-1 or 8-2 Ohio powerhouse Ironton.

Couple in the fact that the rest of 2A, in particular the other powerhouses are struggling, that Russell just got thumped by the same team who barely survived Sheldon Clark, and that Lloyd is struggling mightily, and it could somehow be possible that this young group of Pirates can hang around the top 5 in AA while getting better exponentially each week,

I honestly thought Belfry had no legit shot at Louisville this season, but low and behold thye have just as good of shot, if not better than anyone else.

I don't doubt one bit. They get better and better each week.
we have alot to improve on before we start makin reservations for louisville but you never know.
I think Belfry is the clear favorite to win Region 4, then they will have to go to Russell and beat the Devils which will be tough for the Pirates but it is possible. As of right now I think it is going to be TOUGH for any AA team to beat Ft. Campbell this year...as always though I will be rooting for the Pirates in every game this year(except the Pikeville game)and I think they have a shot at making a deep run and once you get into the playoffs anything can happen.
Some other things:
1.As long as pburg is on the schedule, in our district, and playing at home YOU HAVE to consider them a roadblock against Belfry. There are quite a few Blackcats who have never beat belfry who wants that to end immediately and will give everything for that to happen.

2.For the record, I am going to predict Belfry loses to Pikeville...

3. One of the Pirate's biggest concerns was a lack of big time playmaking... thusfar this year Matt Maynard has been a superstar and Corey Chapman and Aaron Chapman have also become playmakers on their respective sides of the ball.

4.I think thiss econdary will be pretty solid (at elast in comparison to past Belfry teams) and nopt as big of a weakness as in year's past. it's also nice to see Maynard step up as a true shutdown corner ala Jones last year.
Well, I have to agree that Prestonsburg still could be a roadblock on the road to the Pizza Box. This game ALWAYS has big implications and it is at P'Burg this year. When these two teams play, you can throw all the records and stats out the door because its a war from start to finish, and I don't think this year will be any different.

A Belfry win at P'Burg would be huge for Belfry getting to stay home an extra week in the playoffs. I think the Regional Title game will be Belfry/P'Burg or Belfry/Leslie Co. with the winner going to Russell or Fleming County for the Semi's.

Do I think Belfry has a ligit shot at going back to Louisville ? Yes I do, But I don't think we have saw P'Burg at their best yet, and the Eagles of Leslie County has one of the best chances as well fielding the best team since the Tim Couch era.

There's no question that the east champ will have to face either Fort Campbell or Elizabethtown from the west for all the marbles.

Go Pirates !
BelfryPride Wrote:Well, I have to agree that Prestonsburg still could be a roadblock on the road to the Pizza Box. This game ALWAYS has big implications and it is at P'Burg this year. When these two teams play, you can throw all the records and stats out the door because its a war from start to finish, and I don't think this year will be any different.

A Belfry win at P'Burg would be huge for Belfry getting to stay home an extra week in the playoffs. I think the Regional Title game will be Belfry/P'Burg or Belfry/Leslie Co. with the winner going to Russell or Fleming County for the Semi's.

Do I think Belfry has a ligit shot at going back to Louisville ? Yes I do, But I don't think we have saw P'Burg at their best yet, and the Eagles of Leslie County has one of the best chances as well fielding the best team since the Tim Couch era.

There's no question that the east champ will have to face either Fort Campbell or Elizabethtown from the west for all the marbles.

Go Pirates !

I don't think the Pirates will have to worry about Etown this year BP, they are somewhat down this year. The west is pretty good this year in AA and the top 3 teams IMO out of the west in AA are Ft.Campbell(clear favorite)Owensboro Catholic and Trigg County....a team to keep a eye on from what I have heard is the Glasgow Scotties.

Here is the AP poll for AA for what it is worth.

2A
1. Fort Campbell (14) 3-0 140 1
2. Owensboro Cath. - 3-1 102 2
3. Trigg Co. - 3-1 98 5
4. Belfry - 2-1 90 4
5. Russell - 3-1 80 3
6. Lou. Western - 2-1 61 6
7. Leslie Co. - 4-0 56 9
8. Lou. DeSales - 2-1 47 8
9. Mercer Co. - 3-0 24
10. Fleming Co. - 2-1 - 21
Others receiving votes: 11, Glasgow 18. 12, Newport 10. 13, Corbin 7. 14, LaRue Co. 6. 15, Wayne Co. 5. 16, Elizabethtown 4.
Well, in 2003 the overwhelming clear favorite in the west was Owensboro Catholic with a record of 13-0. E-Town went to O'Cath and destroyed them....I never say never.

BTW, I still think we're ranked to high in AA. We haven't earned it yet in my book. I do think we're getting better, but I don't think were in the same league as Fort Campbell yet...IMO. I mean I love Belfry with everything in me, thats why I have to be honest about where I think they're playing at right now.
BelfryPride Wrote:Well, in 2003 the overwhelming clear favorite in the west was Owensboro Catholic with a record of 13-0. E-Town went to O'Cath and destroyed them....I never say never

Thats true..never say never but just giving my opinion for ya.

GOOD LUCK TO THE PIRATES!! 3-PEAT!!
Oh gosh yeah, A 3-Peat would be sweet !!!
BelfryPride Wrote:A 3-Peat would be sweet !!!

Trust me it is....I am going out on the record right now and saying that Belfry will be playing Ft. Campbell in Louisville.
The Courier-Journal picks Belfry as a slight favorite over Fort Campbell for our 3rd straight title. I'd go crazy if that were to happen.
The ***father Wrote:I wouldn't call Pburg a road bloack for Belfry.

P-burg will always be a road block for Belfry, as will Belfry for P-burg.

Back on topic.. If Belfry wins region they still have a tough Russell team to get by before getting to the Box.