Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentucky 27 - Louisville 2 FINAL
The game started off slow, but the defense really pulled this one out.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
What a way to start the year
It was a great defensive game.

I nominate Myron Pryor as player of the game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Offense needs some work I say put Cobb at QB
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
Good to see the defense creating points, something UK fans aren't used to seeing regularly. I'm not worried about the offense too much as things will turn over the next few games. Great win to start the season. Glad to see no one dumped gatorade on Rich Brooks...WE'VE BEEN HERE BEFORE...Let's move on! Hopefully (4-0) heading to a showdown with Bama!
Pryor was definitely POG, Phillips and Brooks have to do something with our offense. Hartline showed he can play the QB position, but we just couldn't establish a run game which makes it difficult to pass.
ComfortEagle Wrote:It was a great defensive game.

I nominate Myron Pryor as player of the game.

No doubt about it, and that fumble recovery will probably go down as one of the best highlights of the year. At least it will for me.
Our defense played very well today. The offense struggled but hopefully they will come around in the next few weeks. I think that once we get Aaron Boyd back from being sick we can have three very good wr's in Boyd, Cobb, and Lyons. Congrats UK on the win and I will be there next week as the CATS play their first home game. :letsparty :letsparty
The defense looks great. The offense needs some work
Complete and utter domination by our defense today. We shut out the Cards today(Offense gave up the 2).

Our offense needs a lot of work. Way to many dropped balls by the receivers, missed assignments by the O-Line on runs, etc. We will get the work in the next 3 games.
Our offense does need a lot of work, but I wasn't really that disappointed in their performance. I wasnt expecting them to produce much in this game, but I was worried about mistakes by such a young group, but there really wasn't any. Hartline did a great job of being conservative and taking what he had, and not trying to force anything and make a mistake.

Hopefully we can have all the kinks worked out before the sec schedule starts.
Slow start for such a great finish today for UK. Defense made some excellent plays with the fumble recoverys and returns for touchdown by Cobb and Pryor(which was amazing). Plus the INT's by Lindley and Mcclinton.

Offense still a work in process. Hartline showed a lot of poise and composure in the pocket today making some crisp passes, just if the WR's would make some catches now and then, but they will come around. As for the running game? Hopefully they can improve from todays effort. Just like CE was saying in the update thread maybe if they can get to the outside instead if trying to stuff it up the gut they would get some great yards per carry and would take more pressure off the passing game.

Overall very excited that UK won the game, just wished with the D's effort today they could have pitched a shutout, which they did but Hartline had the intentional grounding call which ended up as a safety. Looking forward to the first home game against Norfolk State. Hopefully the Offense can have an impressive showing!
Our defensive front four was amazing all day. The defensive backs & linebackers did good also but the front four put pressure on Cantwell the whole game and stopped the run.

I wasn't to happy with the play calling because after we gained 5-10 on a pass play we didn't run the play again. I believe if we ran some of those plays that actually worked for Hartline then we could have scored at least two more offensive touchdowns.

The offensive line did real well pass blocking but could not block for any of the backs at all. The run blocking should be improved on this week in practice for preparation of Norfolk St.

Special Teams looked really good, Matshay didn't miss a beat, Tydlacka looked good on the short punts, and Sieber actually made all his extra points and went 2-3 on field goals.

C-A-T-S!
How bout' them CATS!!!!!
Thank goodness for Defense!

How about Pryor!!!!!!! That was awesome!!!!!!
We will get killed by Florida and Georgia but at least we beat Loserville.
Loserville Sucks!!!!!Smile Smile Smile
RavenBoy Wrote:We will get killed by Florida and Georgia but at least we beat Loserville.
Loserville Sucks!!!!!Smile Smile Smile

By that time, our offense should have vastly improved.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The best defensive performance by a U.K. team since I have been alive! Jarmon played like a manchild today! Just overall a great performance. Harline had a good game as well IMO. When you can't get a run game going, then you are going to have a rough throwing game. TOO MANY DROPS BY U.K. WR'S!
We played great today and our D didn't miss a beat. Hartline will improve as so will our receivers. I would like to had seen Dicky get some more passes his way but it will come. I think we should get Cobb in there more to throw the Defense off, not as much as Florida and LSU had done because the kid is a **** of a receiver, but just enough to make a few big plays when they don't expect it. I do believe Florida may dominate us, but with Georgia's style of play I think our D can slow Moreno down, its just up to the offense to put some points on the board. Also, as someone stated above, we do need to bounce the ball outside more, we have to much speed at RB not to attempt it, if we get out there we can outrun the opposing lineman and linebackers.
ComfortEagle Wrote:By that time, our offense should have vastly improved.
I hope you are correct.
TongueirateSho
As expected, the defense was SOLID! Myron Pryor couldn't be stopped, and Lindley and Jones played excellent coverage on the side. Johnson and Kelly did a great job as well from the linebacker position.

As far as the offense, well.....I'm still not sure. I wasn't expecting Hartline to come out and throw the ball, and Brooks even said a while back that his deep pass needs work (and it clearly does). For it to be his first career start, he did what was asked of him. He managed the offense, and limited mistakes (the intentional grounding is the only one I can think of him making aside from the missed passes). He avoided sacks and just threw the ball away, which shows he's smart. The running game was disappointing however. Not too many holes to run through, but I'm sure, the more this line plays together, the better they'll get at opening lanes.

One other thing...Randall Cobb is FOR REAL. This kid is a football player in every sense of the word. I would have liked to have seen him throw the ball more towards the end of the game, but he was very impressive at wide receiver (as was Matt Roark when he got the ball).

Down the road, with more experience, this team could be very good. A third bowl game is not out of the question.
Hartline was solid except for the grounding call. The play calling was very concervative and Louisville stacked the LOS.

Two areas of concern to me. Drops by the WRs. David Jones actually got burned a few times. Used his athleticism to recover. Luckily Louisville doesn't have the WRs or QB to take advantage.
My observations:

- Mike Hartline played a decent game for his first career start. He made the short throws and didn't commit any mistakes. The safety can't be blamed on him, someone missed a block and the Cardinal defender was on him in no time. He did good to not get tackled in the end zone, and he tried his best to get rid of the ball but it just happened too fast.

- Tim Masthay had an excellent game, especially as a kicker. He sent four kickoffs for touchbacks, plus he absolutely boomed the free kick from UK's 20 all the way down the other goal line. He did kick one out-of-bounds, but otherwise had a great day.

- The offensive line was inconsistent all day. As others have mentioned, the run blocking was very poor between the tackles, as none of UK's tailback rotation could get anything going. The Cats finished with 63 yards rushing. The pass protection was actually pretty good all day, save for the one missed assignment that resulted in the safety.

- David Jones isn't much better in man coverage than Paul Warford, although he did have a couple of nice pass deflections. He better get used to it, because teams are going to throw away from Lindley all season.

- Finally, the D-line had a monster day, stuffing the U of L ground game (53 yards) and harassing Hunter Cantwell into hurried throws and mental mistakes. They were the tone-setters on a day that belonged to the defense.

All in all, it's always good to beat Louisville, and now Hartline and the rest of the offense get three easier opponents to work out the kinks against.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don't understand why Alfonso Smith isn't getting any carrys? I was looking at some of his stats from last year and he averaged over 7 yards a carry. He's built like a Peterson or McFadden, give him a shot.
The D looked great today and now they have 2 glorified scrimmages to correct and continue to improve. David Jones did get beat but hes going to get better IMO. The Offense will use these next 2 "Games" to get better as well. You will see a better ball club on both sides of the ball when they line up against Bama here in a few weeks(And there gonna have to be if they wanna beat them).
FBALL Wrote:Hartline was solid except for the grounding call. The play calling was very concervative and Louisville stacked the LOS.

Two areas of concern to me. Drops by the WRs. David Jones actually got burned a few times. Used his athleticism to recover. Luckily Louisville doesn't have the WRs or QB to take advantage.

Hartline played solid and SMART! he may not be flashy or uber-athletic, but at least he did not try to do too much and get sacked! The offense will get better.
He can throw it, but he can't make the WR's catch it!

Jones made more good plays than the times he got burned. One time it was by a 6'8" guy and he will never win that matchup/jump-ball.

Finally, we can play defense and make big plays on defense!:loveya:

Special teams looked good too. I want to see Cobb on some kickoff returns.
Maybe our offense is not as bad as everyone thinks. Hopefully UL's defense is a whole lot better, just like UK's.

Yeah, we had a lot of dropped balls. But, with the experience of our O-line and backs, we should have been able to have some kind of ground game.

Did anyone else notice that Dixon was dancing more than running? He had a few chances to burst thru a few small openings but was too busy dancing.
FBALL Wrote:Hartline was solid except for the grounding call. The play calling was very concervative and Louisville stacked the LOS.

Jones got burnt because he is 5 feet and 9 or 10 inches and he was covering a receiver who was 6'7. The pass deflections were a bright spot for him but you can only expect him to be able to do so much with the height advantage.... double coverage might help maybe????

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Hartline sucks just like Woodson. He dont throw any long passes, just little passes to the HB. That was all woodson did and everyone thought he was the best QB ever. Hartline cant run the ball any or pass deep. We need a new QB.
Defense looked great!! Hopefully the offense will improve as the season goes on and we should have a good team! Way to go Cats!!
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]