Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Breathitt County Bobcats
45.16%
Prestonsburg Blackcats
54.84%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County vs. Prestonsburg - Sept. 5
OldTymer Wrote:Since 2000 , Prestonsburg is 3-2 against Breathitt Co. . One of those losses coming at the hands of Justin Haddix in 2002 and then last year in a close one in Jackson.

Everyone and their mother knows that Breathitt Co. is going to run the same blitzing , gap assignment defense, with the secondary playing straight up man. In the pre-season looking at this game, I thought that the key to this game would be Prestonsburg's ability to throw the ball. But after seeing Johnson Central run for over 400 yards against this defense, I believe that Prestonsburg should be able to do what they want offensively against the Bobcats. Setser and Craynon are as tough of a duo as anywhere in the state of Kentucky, and I have a feeling that the BC defense is going to be seeing a lot from those two. At reciever Prestonsburg has 2 very good wr's in Matt Sword and Austin Gearheart that Mike Burchett has the option of throwing to. And the way BC plays their corners (around 2 yards off the ball with their backs to the QB), it could be trouble for the blue and white, that is of course Prestonsburg's O-line can give Burchett time to throw the ball.

If Coach Derossett will gets away from all the play action passes (more then one play fake) that he has been notorious then I do believe the Pburg Oline is capable of protecting Burchett. But the way BC plays defense, atleast in the past anyway, there is simply not enough time for such play fakes. I would def. like to see more pure drop back plays from the Prestonsburg offense. But who knows how that will go...

I'm going to say Prestonsburg in a shoot out either way though 45-35. With Setser , Craynon, and Gearheart all having huge nights.
With all due respect to Prestonsburg, they are not as good as JC and Breathitt will not give up 300+ yards rushing against the Blackcats. I think Prestonsburg runs a solid offensive system and I think it will be another learning experience for the Bobcats. Win or lose, Breathitt will Benefit in the long run by playing tough opponants early.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

The Blackcats looked like they had alot of solid leadership on there team. They seem like they are very mature and determined. That is why i think they are going to pull this off.
Im gonna say the Blackcats end the game with at least 300 yards rushing and somewhere around 450 total yards. Breathitts defense has shown no signs of being able to stop the run(Belfry 07 and JC 08) so I expect more of the same.

But Breathitt will put up at least 200 yards rushing and at least 400 yards of total offense due to their incredible well balanced offense.

The bottom line is Breathitt will more than likely pull this game out in a real nailbiter due to the fact that Derossett's play calling will be somewhat suspect and cost them in a close game.
wooderson Wrote:Im gonna say the Blackcats end the game with at least 300 yards rushing and somewhere around 450 total yards. Breathitts defense has shown no signs of being able to stop the run(Belfry 07 and JC 08) so I expect more of the same.

But Breathitt will put up at least 200 yards rushing and at least 400 yards of total offense due to their incredible well balanced offense.

The bottom line is Breathitt will more than likely pull this game out in a real nailbiter due to the fact that Derossett's play calling will be somewhat suspect and cost them in a close game.
I have nothing but respect for Prestonsburg, but it is easy to look good against inferior teams like Paintville. Breathitt will shut down Prestonsburg as they did last season and I do not think P-burg scores more than 20 points. Breathitt needs to work on their passing game and their run defense, and this is a very good P-Burg team that will give Breathitt a test. Should be a great atmosphere and I will be interested in the outcome.

Blackcats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I have nothing but respect for Prestonsburg, but it is easy to look good against inferior teams like Paintville. Breathitt will shut down Prestonsburg as they did last season and I do not think P-burg scores more than 20 points. Breathitt needs to work on their passing game and their run defense, and this is a very good P-Burg team that will give Breathitt a test. Should be a great atmosphere and I will be interested in the outcome.

Yes, Breathitt County shut down Prestonsburg's offense, but Prestonsburg shut down the Breathitt's offense as well. Breathitt County lost more players from their team last season than Prestonsburg did also.

Prestonsburg knows that Breathitt County has the bigger line but Prestonsburg's line is quicker and has just as much strength as Breathitt County's linemen.

Prestonsburg's defense is not as good as Johnson Central's but Prestonsburg's offense is. We have a natural throwing quarterback with size now, he threw all over Clay County, Hazard, and Sheldon Clark in the scrimmages, but the Blackcats didn't throw the ball a lot against Paintsville because they knew that Breathitt County would be scouting out that game.

With all that said, I'll take my Blackcats in this one 26-21.

GO BLACKCATS!
I think that a lot of people are over looking how good Breathitt County really is. They just played a really good football team, in JCHS. To be truthful neither team play up to there full potential. That being JCHS vs BC. This game between P-burg and Breathitt will be a good game but Breathitt IMO is to much for P-burg.

You say that P-burg has just as good as a offense as JCHS, that's to be scene! No offense.
I will say that I wish JCHS could drop Paintsville and play P-burg
brown_ind1977 Wrote:I think that a lot of people are over looking how good breathitt county really is. They just played a really good football team, in JCHS. To be truthful neither team play up to there full potential. That being JCHS vs BC. This game between P-berg and Breathitt will be a good game but Breathitt IMO is to much for P_berg.

You say that P-berg has just as good as a offense as JCHS , thats to be scene! No offense.
I will say that i wish JCHS could drop Paintsville and play P-berg

Its burg..not like berg like iceberg
dfblackcat53 Wrote:its burg..not like berg like iceberg

[LOL] My bad. P-burg
If Breathitt cant beat Prestonsburg then they are pretty weak. I watched a weak Perry Central team without their best player beat Prestonsburg last year. If Breathitt is truely the Predator school of eastern kentucky then they should beat Prestonsburg by 5 TD's.
warmachine Wrote:If Breathitt cant beat Prestonsburg then they are pretty weak. I watched a weak Perry Central team without their best player beat Prestonsburg last year. If Breathitt is truely the Predator school of eastern kentucky then they should beat Prestonsburg by 5 TD's.

That won't happen, I don't think. I think they will beat a good P-burg team by 2 td. Good luck to both teams, and hope there are no injuries.
warmachine Wrote:If Breathitt cant beat Prestonsburg then they are pretty weak. I watched a weak Perry Central team without their best player beat Prestonsburg last year. If Breathitt is truely the Predator school of eastern kentucky then they should beat Prestonsburg by 5 TD's.

Smile
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Yes, Breathitt County shut down Prestonsburg's offense, but Prestonsburg shut down the Breathitt's offense as well. Breathitt County lost more players from their team last season than Prestonsburg did also.

Prestonsburg knows that Breathitt County has the bigger line but Prestonsburg's line is quicker and has just as much strength as Breathitt County's linemen.

Prestonsburg's defense is not as good as Johnson Central's but Prestonsburg's offense is. We have a natural throwing quarterback with size now, he threw all over Clay County, Hazard, and Sheldon Clark in the scrimmages, but the Blackcats didn't throw the ball a lot against Paintsville because they knew that Breathitt County would be scouting out that game.

With all that said, I'll take my Blackcats in this one 26-21.

GO BLACKCATS!
Should be an interesting game as I said....I always enjoyed playing and watching the Blackcats because they always played with passion. That being said, Breathitt is not a bad team and are improved from last season as well. I do not think a loss to a good JC team means they are not a good team, it just gave them things they can work on and that will not serve well for Prestonsburg in my opinion. Can Prestonsburg win, of coarse, will they, probably not. I think Breathitt wins 35-14

This is some what of a rivalry game and will be hard fought until the end. Breathitt is not as good a team now as they will be in the end. Jade Haddix will be inconsistent at first, but will learn as the season progresses, just as his Brother did. Also, Justin is coaching and will help Jade with his reads and preparation. I am a firm beleiver that teams learn a lot more from a loss and Breathitt will be fine in the end.

BlackcatAlum Wrote:Well they better hope they don't do it in this one.

Honestly, Breathitt Co. may try to do just that to FORCE P-burg to beat them through the air.

It's the same difference for P-burg's defense. The Blackcats will defend the pass first with a lot of three man defensive-front alignments (yuch!! - why is Coach James so enamored with those, anyway ?).

I don't think either of those potential defensive gameplans will work. P-burg is good enough with the pass they'll hit some big ones, while Breathitt is good enough to run/scramble for first downs.

My opinion is...the team that can play its regular base defense most effectively has the better chance of winning. Each team's offense is too good to be shut down for long with gadget defenses.

Wink
You guys are acting like Johnson Central is a great team. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but they are nowhere near the team they were last year. They absolutely dominated Breathitt Co. no matter what the score shows. Two fumbles kept 14 more points off the board for Central. They ran all over Breathitt with backs who played 2nd fiddle to Grimm last year. Prestonsburg has all of their stud RB's back this year, plus a passing game that is very impressive. If Breathitt Co. plays like they did against Central, then Prestonsburg will break this game open early. Holcomb better hope he has something to stop Prestonsburg's ground attack or else the Bobcats go home with another L.

I see Prestonsburg winning this by at least 2 TD's if not more.
I hope Breathitt is ready too!!! I am looking forward to some more smash mouth football!!!
P-Burg isn't going to lay down for Breathitt and will come out on top by 2 TD's.
BCF4L Wrote:You guys are acting like Johnson Central is a great team. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but they are nowhere near the team they were last year. They absolutely dominated Breathitt Co. no matter what the score shows. Two fumbles kept 14 more points off the board for Central. They ran all over Breathitt with backs who played 2nd fiddle to Grimm last year. Prestonsburg has all of their stud RB's back this year, plus a passing game that is very impressive. If Breathitt Co. plays like they did against Central, then Prestonsburg will break this game open early. Holcomb better hope he has something to stop Prestonsburg's ground attack or else the Bobcats go home with another L.

I guess that's why JC beat Bell Co in a scrimmage, because they are just an average team. This game is at P-burg, so i give them a slight edge. They will in no way run all over Breathitt. It will be a hard fought game, no matter who wins.
sportsfan1 Wrote:I guess that's why JC beat Bell Co in a scrimmage, because they are just an average team. This game is at P-burg, so i give them a slight edge. They will in no way run all over Breathitt. It will be a hard fought game, no matter who wins.

I don't believe he said that Johnson Central was an average team. The Eagles did lose quarterback JK Ratliff, runningback Shawn Grimm, and linebacker Nathaniel Dials.

Those were three of the best players in the mountains last season, so JC was a better team last season.
Prestonsburg-26
Breathitt Co. -20
BCF4L Wrote:You guys are acting like Johnson Central is a great team. Don't get me wrong, they are good, but they are nowhere near the team they were last year. They absolutely dominated Breathitt Co. no matter what the score shows. Two fumbles kept 14 more points off the board for Central. They ran all over Breathitt with backs who played 2nd fiddle to Grimm last year. Prestonsburg has all of their stud RB's back this year, plus a passing game that is very impressive. If Breathitt Co. plays like they did against Central, then Prestonsburg will break this game open early. Holcomb better hope he has something to stop Prestonsburg's ground attack or else the Bobcats go home with another L.

My point is simply JC is much better than Paintsville. Prestonsburg will have a much tougher time with Breathitt because it is easy to look good aganst inferior competition. Can Prestonsburg win, yes. But I think Breathitt comes out learning from last weeks game and wins 35-14.............Go Bobcats!!!

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:they are not as good as JC and Breathitt will not give up 300+ yards rushing against the Blackcats. I.

How can you be so confident in saying that when they just gave up 400 to JC? I mean 400 yards! I know JC is good, but they aren't world beaters by any means and to give up that many yards against anyone doesn't say much about your defense.
I attended the Central/Breathitt game. If you think for one second that Central did anything outstanding while running the ball then you are badly mistaken. Every single play was right up the gut for 7-9 yards per carry. They were running a standard wishbone formation and running it straight up the gut. The long TD that Central ran for came off the right end I believe resulting in a long run for a TD. Prestonsburg's trio is better than Central's trio IMO, and should eat Breathitt's defense alive.

I agree that Paintsville is nowhere near the competition level as Central or Breathitt Co., BUT looking at what Prestonsburg was able to do against Paintsville this year, and seeing what these same backs did last year, it would be hard for Breathitt to be able to stop them.
From what I saw Friday night at Breathitt County, Pburg should pull this one off.
BCF4L Wrote:I attended the Central/Breathitt game. If you think for one second that Central did anything outstanding while running the ball then you are badly mistaken. Every single play was right up the gut for 7-9 yards per carry. They were running a standard wishbone formation and running it straight up the gut. The long TD that Central ran for came off the right end I believe resulting in a long run for a TD. Prestonsburg's trio is better than Central's trio IMO, and should eat Breathitt's defense alive.

I agree that Paintsville is nowhere near the competition level as Central or Breathitt Co., BUT looking at what Prestonsburg was able to do against Paintsville this year, and seeing what these same backs did last year, it would be hard for Breathitt to be able to stop them.

It wasn't the RBs that caused Breathitt problems. It was the line of JC. Their line is better than P-Burg's which is why they had success against Breathitt.

Let me be the first to tell you that, this year team at JCHS might be the best team they have had in any year. The 06 season was great but, they have 4 or 5 guys that can run the ball. With a offense line like they have nobody will stop them, trust me. They are big, strong, fast and these kids have a lot of heart. They will hit you and hit you hard, Breathitt did not see the best these kids have to offer. Has every one forgot that Matney did not coach this game. To stay on subject Breathitt County will win this game, 28 runs wild all night ,just can't wait . Styles make fights, or game's! Good luck both teams.
Breathitt County has Channing Fugate which is going to be hard to stop but Prestonsburg has two great backs in Allen Craynon and Seth Setser if you stop one thats means you still have to stop the other. So Prestonsburg wins 21 to 14 due to the backfield of those 2 young men.
gish Wrote:How can you be so confident in saying that when they just gave up 400 to JC? I mean 400 yards! I know JC is good, but they aren't world beaters by any means and to give up that many yards against anyone doesn't say much about your defense.
I am just trying to get a rise......I respect Prestonsburg for the way they play, but I think the talk of Breathitt's demise is premature.

Is it Friday yet! This game is more on my mind than the JCHS game, and if you cut me, I would bleed black and gold!:rockon: