Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UK signs 08-09 freshman.
Matt May
CatsPause.com

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board

Billy Gillispie warned Kentucky fans that recruiting never ends on his watch. He wasn't kidding.

The Cats added another shooting guard to their roster on Wednesday, a three-star prospect from Temple Hills (Md.) Progressive Christian. Catspause.com has confirmed that Donald Williams will join Kentucky's basketball program as the 13th and final scholarship player for the 2008-09 season.

Williams was rated a three-star player by Rivals.com but was not ranked in either the Top 150 or positional rankings. The 6-foot-4, 185-pound guard also had offers from Marquette, St. John's, UAB and New Orleans. He joins DeAndre Liggins and Darius Miller in the Cats' freshman class, as well Kevin Galloway and Josh Harrellson as newcomers this season.

UK began classes on Wednesday. There is no confirmation as to whether Williams is enrolled at the university yet.
Has everyone forgot that Landon Slone is a freshman at UK this season as well? He is not listed on their final roster and now he isnt mentioned in this article as a freshman. Has he quit already or do they not feel that walkons are worthy of a mention?
I don't think Walk ons are usually listed in the first roster for some reason. No big deal really.

Does anybody know where Mark Coury ended up?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Thats great for the Cats as Williams will join up Liggens, Galloway, Michael Porter as wel as Darius Miller and Landon Slone can also work himsef into the backcourt which will give Billy Clyde plenty of depth. One thing about it Gillispie and his staff know how to recruit something that Tubby never did.:devilflam
alfus21 Wrote:I don't think Walk ons are usually listed in the first roster for some reason. No big deal really.

Does anybody know where Mark Coury ended up?

To be honest, I hope I never hear the name Mark Coury again in my life. Smile
I agree he was a disapointment.
Don't expect much from Landon, they intend on working with him and unless some significant injuries happen he won't see alot of action until his junior or senior seasons. Billy loves his shooting ability so he will see alot of action at some point just don't get your hopes up on it at least this season.

PER KSR:

[Image: http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-c..._20200.jpg]
Well after the early stories, we at Kentucky Sports Radio have also been able to confirm that Donald Williams of Maryland is the newest Kentucky Wildcat. Donald is a 6′6″, slashing forward who was one of the late risers of the Class of 2008. Described to me by a guy who has seen him a few times as a “guy who can get to the basket, play defense but not shoot all that well”, he seems directly in the Gillispie mold of players such as Liggins, Galloway, Harris, etc. Our man Evan Hilbert was on the scene and found these tidbits:
Here is what ESPN had to say about him after he played well at the Bob Gibbons TOC:
[INDENT]Six-foot-6 Donald Williams, the 17-Under Select MVP, was one of the major surprise players this past weekend, leading his New Orleans Jazz team to the 17-Under Select championship. Williams finished in the top 10 in scoring and was No. 1 in made field goals with 55 in six games. He uses his extraordinary athleticism to slash to the rim and finish in traffic. Williams will need to improve his perimeter stroke to reach his full potential at the next level. However, he is a definite high-major college prospect with a bright future.
[/INDENT] And Rivals:
[INDENT]New Orleans Jazz wing Donald Williams was named Most Outstanding Player of the Select Division of the 17 and under division. The 6-foot-5 prep school guard averaged a hair under 23 points a game.
“He was the best player we played against all weekend,” said one AAU coach that tried to slow down Williams in North Carolina. “He’s really good. People need to know about him.”
Consider it done. Williams technically is part of the class of 2008, too. Let the phone calls begin to Progressive Christian in Maryland.
[/INDENT]
This is a great pickup for UK.
Nice work Billy!
The Man Can Recruit!!!!
Great news!
After they interviewed his Coach on KSR tonight, they found out that UK intends to redshirt him this season. Just thought I would pass that note along.
This is great.
I think we are going to like this kid!
Looks like hes going to be a great talent.