Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best boys middle school teams in Kentucky
Navajo4life Wrote:You guys beat Clay County by 24?

yes but that doesn't mean we are a 24 pt. better team than they are. We played well that night and so did they but our press gave them trouble early on. I remember the game well because at the end of the 3rd. qt. our center, who is a beast on the boards and the press went up on a fast break layup and got hammered by a clay Co. player and after they mopped the blood off the floor from our boy they had to take the Clay Co. boy off on a backboard in an ambulance. That was the first time i've ever seen both players involving a foul in a basketball game spend several hours in the ER with stitches and a concussion.

Sorry, didnt mean to wander off the subject but the fact is Clay Co. gave us maybe our best competition so far this year and they are good enough to beat us on any given night.
knighted Wrote:yes but that doesn't mean we are a 24 pt. better team than they are. We played well that night and so did they but our press gave them trouble early on. I remember the game well because at the end of the 3rd. qt. our center, who is a beast on the boards and the press went up on a fast break layup and got hammered by a clay Co. player and after they mopped the blood off the floor from our boy they had to take the Clay Co. boy off on a backboard in an ambulance. That was the first time i've ever seen both players involving a foul in a basketball game spend several hours in the ER with stitches and a concussion.

Sorry, didnt mean to wander off the subject but the fact is Clay Co. gave us maybe our best competition so far this year and they are good enough to beat us on any given night.

The Clay County 7th grade team was in the tournament at Frankfort between Christmas and New Year's. It was 5 pools of 3 and Clay County lost to Lexington Beaumont in pool play, but Beaumont lost to Shelby West and Clay County beat Shelby West. All 3 teams finished 1-1 and Clay County got in the bracket play on a tie-breaker - points scored. They then won the tournament.
I work at the KC sportsplex so i watch alot of them...I like hazard, chavies around the mountains not sure bout louisville and places though
theVILLE Wrote:I work at the KC sportsplex so i watch alot of them...I like hazard, chavies around the mountains not sure bout louisville and places though

Lex Cath's 7th grade will have a chance to put up or shut me up this weekend. :biggrin:We play undefeated Betsy Lane on Friday and then play in the BCI state tourney at KBA on Saturday against some very good 7th grade teams, which includes the reigning state champ Wayne Co., Hazard, undefeated Mason co.? and 2 teams from Louiville.

All I'm going to predict is there will be less undefeated teams to play against. Too bad that undefeated South Laurel dropped out for reasons unknown:eyeroll: but I'm sure it was weather related or something important:zzz:
Let me correct you once again knighted...South Laurel was never in the BCI tourney. Our 13th regional 7th grade tourney was held Sat in Whitley County. We've known about it since season started....be stupid to enter into BCI tourney. I guess you stand corrected again!
After talking to Clevenger, the man that runs the BCI, we was informed the 13th region was commited to playing in this tournament but a rule in there school districts which I'm not totally sure of forced them to with draw from this tournament.
That's totally false bball fan. South Laurel has known since Nov. that we were playing in the 13th regional tourney on Jan. 23. So...we DID NOT enter into this tourney!!!
Hoop Crazy Wrote:That's totally false bball fan. South Laurel has known since Nov. that we were playing in the 13th regional tourney on Jan. 23. So...we DID NOT enter into this tourney!!!

Meant to put Jan. 16
Hoop Crazy Wrote:Meant to put Jan. 16

All I know is that Clevenger told me himself that South Laurel and Wayne Co. had called him and entered the tourney. He then explained it to me that whomever makes the decision on when the 13th plays their tourney decided to have it this weekend before the weather played its part again in cancelling regular season games.

As a matter of fact Wayne Co. didn't even call him to enter the BCI until Wednesday of this week.(according to Clevenger) Makes no sense for a team to enter a BCI tourney knowing that they have been scheduled to play the 13th regional tourney on the same weekend. So common sense tells me that he didn't know anything about the latter or he would of never entered the BCI.

Now with that being said, I'm only telling you what he told me himself so if you tell me this isn't true then I guess Clevenger is a liar or someone mis-informed him.

Ayway on the the Info on the BCI.

The 8th grade is still playing at this post so I'll geive you the 7th.

Lexington Catholic beat Hazard 42-20
Lexington Catholic beat The Truth ( huge aau team out of Louivile) 38-37

Louiville Truth beat Hazard 59-7
Louiville Truth beat Mason Co. 62-10

Lexington Catholic beat Louivile Truth 60-48 in finals.
Hoop Crazy Wrote:Congrats to South Laurel 7th grade. They beat Ballard Kammeren, Jeffersontown "The Truth", Lextown Bulldogs & The Central Ky Warriors to become champions of the 2009 KBA Holiday Classic this weekend! They have now compiled a record of 21-0! Go Cards!!

After carefully watching as many games as I could this weekend at the BCI state I was really impressed with Virgie's team. Not their 8th grade team, but with the 7th grade players that were playing on their 8th grade team. Looks like trouble for alot of state teams next year when they are playing as 8th graders. I didn't know that Johnson Co. started three 7th graders when we played them in Betsy Lane in Nov. so I don't have an opinion on them next year yet.

I didn't mean to step on your toes Hoop. I was just very disappointed that Lex Cath didn't get a chance to play South Laurel this year( win or lose). Its good for both teams to play nice competion. I would like to say that we will see you in the State finals in Feb. but the guy at KBA told us that in they let Lexington Catholic play then he would boycott every Fayette co. team from playing in the tourney. It's just the same old High School crap that Fayette Co. would rather not play than take a chance of getting beat by a Lexington Catholic team.

I know this cause he said that he might be able to let our 8th grade enter but not our 7th grade.
Knighted, Wayne Co. is not in the 13th region. They are in 12th. That being said....SOMEONE really doesn't know what they are talking about!
elkhorn elks 7th grade beat scott county 55~53 good game. went into over time.
knighted Wrote:I didn't mean to step on your toes Hoop. I was just very disappointed that Lex Cath didn't get a chance to play South Laurel this year( win or lose). Its good for both teams to play nice competion. I would like to say that we will see you in the State finals in Feb. but the guy at KBA told us that in they let Lexington Catholic play then he would boycott every Fayette co. team from playing in the tourney. It's just the same old High School crap that Fayette Co. would rather not play than take a chance of getting beat by a Lexington Catholic team.

I know this cause he said that he might be able to let our 8th grade enter but not our 7th grade.
I don't think the reason the KBA won't let Lexington Catholic into the middle school state tournament has anything to do with other schools boycotting. Please correct me if I am wrong, but Lexington Catholic doesn't have a middle school. I assume St. Peter and Paul, Christ the King and St. Mary's are feeder schools for Lexington Catholic. If all of the kids on your team go to the same middle school then I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play under that middle schools name. But, if they don't go to the same middle school then you shouldn't be able to combine schools just because they are feeders of Lexington Catholic. Again please correct me if I am wrong. I do wish your team the best, they are a solid group of kids.
Hoop Crazy Wrote:Knighted, Wayne Co. is not in the 13th region. They are in 12th. That being said....SOMEONE really doesn't know what they are talking about!

I was just quoting Mr. Clevenger. Heck I really don't give a hoot what region South Laurel plays in. I'm not sure they are even in KY. If the director of a BCI tourney or an AAU tourney tells me Joe Blow middle school out in western or eastern or where ever, is in the 13th or 9th region I assume he knows what he is talking about.

You sound like your still mad cause I incorrectly said we beat South Laurel by 12 pts last year but it really was only 7. Get over it Hoop! Its just a game. I already told you I was mistaken it was only 7. If i had wanted to be rude I would of mentioned that we were up 14 with a minute to go and you cut 7 pts off our back ups. We have a few open dates left this year if you want to ask your coach to call Trey(he knows him) and schedule a game or 2 with us. It would be beneficial to both teams no matter who wins.
SWHS future Wrote:I don't think the reason the KBA won't let Lexington Catholic into the middle school state tournament has anything to do with other schools boycotting. Please correct me if I am wrong, but Lexington Catholic doesn't have a middle school. I assume St. Peter and Paul, Christ the King and St. Mary's are feeder schools for Lexington Catholic. If all of the kids on your team go to the same middle school then I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to play under that middle schools name. But, if they don't go to the same middle school then you shouldn't be able to combine schools just because they are feeders of Lexington Catholic. Again please correct me if I am wrong. I do wish your team the best, they are a solid group of kids.

The fact his our starting 5 and the next 3 back ups go Mary Queen but when we asked if we changed our name to Mary Queen, they said that it has nothing to do with it. If thats not true then why would they consider letting our 8th grade in . Plain and simple if Fayette Co. boycotts, 10 teams dont play and that equals a lot of money for a private business such as KBA. There is a history of bad blood between us and Fayette Co. because we allow any student to participate in any sport they desire to, reguardless of what school they transferred from.

Lets not forget that Fayette Co. also will not allow their High schools to participate in any tourney that we are in (unless they have to in the region)
and there really is a school that in named Lexington Catholic. So your deal about us not having a middle school must not be the reason.
Didn't step on my toes OR make me mad knighted. Just clearing up incorrect statements that were made about South Laurel entering into & dropping out of BCI tourney this weekend. Not taking anything away from Lex. Cath. Other than Wayne Co, they were probably the best team we played last year.
knighted Wrote:The fact his our starting 5 and the next 3 back ups go Mary Queen but when we asked if we changed our name to Mary Queen, they said that it has nothing to do with it. If thats not true then why would they consider letting our 8th grade in . Plain and simple if Fayette Co. boycotts, 10 teams dont play and that equals a lot of money for a private business such as KBA. There is a history of bad blood between us and Fayette Co. because we allow any student to participate in any sport they desire to, reguardless of what school they transferred from.

Lets not forget that Fayette Co. also will not allow their High schools to participate in any tourney that we are in (unless they have to in the region)
and there really is a school that in named Lexington Catholic. So your deal about us not having a middle school must not be the reason.
If Lexington Catholic does not have a middle school then you should not be allowed to enter a middle school state tournament plain and simple. If all of the kids go to Mary Queen then Mary Queen should be allowed to enter. Lexington Christian has a middle school and they played in the state tournament last year. So did Frankfort Christian, St. Joseph, and St. Mary. Is the boycott against Lexington Catholic only or does it apply to Lexington Christian also? Just curious.
SWHS future Wrote:If Lexington Catholic does not have a middle school then you should not be allowed to enter a middle school state tournament plain and simple. If all of the kids go to Mary Queen then Mary Queen should be allowed to enter. Lexington Christian has a middle school and they played in the state tournament last year. So did Frankfort Christian, St. Joseph, and St. Mary. Is the boycott against Lexington Catholic only or does it apply to Lexington Christian also? Just curious.

What has happened is that last year or the year before LCA got into bit of trouble with the KHSAA and they volunteered to sign an aggreement with them to limit or penalize students who transfer to LCA when it came to sports. Lex Catholic said no way and so the boycott continues. I assure you that is alot deeper what I just said but the fact is KBA told us that the only way we would be allowed to participate would be lf Mr. Adkins agreed to it. Then the KBA rep. told me if it was up to him he would let play under Mary Queen.

KBA is a private business and I fully understand why they are not allowing us to play if it causes 10 Fayette Co. teams to boycott(five 8th grade and five 7th grade). If this is not true then why can't the 7th grade play under Mary Queen but the 8th grade might be allowed to play? Fact is Kenny is that if we were a weak group it wouldn't be a problem.

I guess the only recourse we could have is try to schedule a game with the winner of the tourney after it is over( believe me, I know I'm just dreaming).

I enjoy watching your Somerset kids play. They always play with desire and with class. Good luck to your team in the state.
knighted Wrote:What has happened is that last year or the year before LCA got into bit of trouble with the KHSAA and they volunteered to sign an aggreement with them to limit or penalize students who transfer to LCA when it came to sports. Lex Catholic said no way and so the boycott continues. I assure you that is alot deeper what I just said but the fact is KBA told us that the only way we would be allowed to participate would be lf Mr. Adkins agreed to it. Then the KBA rep. told me if it was up to him he would let play under Mary Queen.

KBA is a private business and I fully understand why they are not allowing us to play if it causes 10 Fayette Co. teams to boycott(five 8th grade and five 7th grade). If this is not true then why can't the 7th grade play under Mary Queen but the 8th grade might be allowed to play? Fact is Kenny is that if we were a weak group it wouldn't be a problem.

I guess the only recourse we could have is try to schedule a game with the winner of the tourney after it is over( believe me, I know I'm just dreaming).

I enjoy watching your Somerset kids play. They always play with desire and with class. Good luck to your team in the state.
That's too bad. I believe you should be able to play with the kids that go to Queen Mary. I didn't realize it was that way at the middle school level too.
We would like to play Lex Cath again before the season is over. We played you all the first game of the season. Send me a PM if you all would like to play. We could set up a panorama and get another team or just play head to head. Good luck to you all the rest of the season.
SWHS future Wrote:That's too bad. I believe you should be able to play with the kids that go to Queen Mary. I didn't realize it was that way at the middle school level too.
We would like to play Lex Cath again before the season is over. We played you all the first game of the season. Send me a PM if you all would like to play. We could set up a panorama and get another team or just play head to head. Good luck to you all the rest of the season.

Sounds great! I'll PM you tonight after our game with LCA. Thanks a bunch.
I got to watch Lex Cath 7th grade play team out of Louisville - Derrick Smith All Stars. They drilled the Louisville All Star team. Hard to imagine anyone better in the state when they have all their starters on the floor. They can shoot 3's, penetrate inside and have a good big man who is aggressive and out rebounded taller kids from the Derrick Smith team. My nod goes to Lex Cath for 7th grade and Hazard for 8th grade
Clay County's 7th grade is one of the top teams in the state. They beat undefeated South Laurel this past weekend in the 13th region tournament and they've played close with both Wayne County and Knox Central. The beat Hazard by about 30 pts.:notworthy
I am 99% sure that Lex Cath played Clay County 7th grade earlier this year and won. They play them again I beleive later in January
b.ballin Wrote:Clay County's 7th grade is one of the top teams in the state. They beat undefeated South Laurel this past weekend in the 13th region tournament and they've played close with both Wayne County and Knox Central. The beat Hazard by about 30 pts.:notworthy

What was the score in the South Laurel vs. Clay Co. game? Can you summerize the tournament?

Does anyone know anything about the 12th regional tournament? Wayne Co., etc. I was told they played this past weekend also.

We play Clay Co. again next Friday at Clay Co. Even though our 7th grade beat their 7th grade by 24 in an earlier game with them, I figure it will take our best game to beat them at home. They are an outstanding team to begin with and when you factor in home court at Clay Co., it will take a monster effort.
As far as the OVC goes Verity has not lost a game in conference, dont know about out of conference, Mason Co., new to the OVC, has only lost to Verity, and Boyd Co. is in the 3rd spot right now.
Clay ended up beating South by eight after being up by 14 at halftime. They went on to beat barbourville and corbin easily. On the other side of the bracket Knox Middle beat Jackson and Whitley county easily. Finals will be this Saturday.
I believe the team to beat in the 8th grade will be Moss Middle. The best team in the 7th grade is Lexington Catholic, I believe they are a little better than Wayne County. Clay County, South Laurel, Knox Central and Southern are also fine 7th grade teams. I think Kammerer will win the 6th grade state. Adair County and Mercer County are also very good.
Coming to Lexington for the state 6th grade tourny, who is good outside of the louisville area entered, anybody?
ive heard a couple questions about the johnson county 7th graders playing 8th grade and they will only be playing in the state tournament
who beat corbin in the district tourny.........knox central is the best team in the state they have only lost 1 game im talking about 8th grade here