Boyd Co./Belfry Scrimmage
What time?
PaytoPlay Wrote:What time?

I heard 7:00 pm...
Thanks man.
I'll be there!
PaytoPlay,

You mind giving us a report afterwards?

Get the gist of the scoring, who stood out on offense and defense for both teams, areas of surprise, areas that need improvement
Will do the best I can, but unfortunately my info will be secondhand. Sad

That is why I am so annoying about asking other for info/reports. Big Grin
EKUAlum05 Wrote:PaytoPlay,

You mind giving us a report afterwards?

Get the gist of the scoring, who stood out on offense and defense for both teams, areas of surprise, areas that need improvement
I'll be sure to give an "Unbiased opinion" of all that goes on! LOL
DevilsWin Wrote:I'll be sure to give an "Unbiased opinion" of all that goes on! LOL

I wouldn't consider a thread titled "Where Russell has an advantage over Belfry and Boyd County" as a game report.... sorry! Smile Wink
I'll be there and if not in the concession, I will give an update and or report...... LOL...

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I wouldn't consider a thread titled "Where Russell has an advantage over Belfry and Boyd County" as a game report.... sorry! Smile Wink
LOL I haven't seen Russell yet. LOLWink
DevilsWin Wrote:LOL I haven't seen Russell yet. LOLWink

HAHA.... You should also double as a mercenary for Ashland and stop by Paintsville on your way home and scout out the JC, Pikeville, Raceland scrimmage and charge Tomcat coaches a premium for your report. 4 Tomcat opponents and 3 Devil opponents in one day! Smile
I would be unbiased.. Seriously
Here's what I heard:

Varsity
Belfry 3 TD
Boyd 0

Elkins tossed a TD to Lovern, Thomas Varney ran for a TD

Belfry was without starting center Chancey Cisco and All-State candidate OT Ryan Blackburn. Pirates looked alright on offense, a little rusty as expected. Lots of bodies moving in and out in a very deep backfield.

Lovern, as expected, saw quite a few minutes at SE. Whoever #89 is was apparently impressive and looks to be a potentially solid receiver.

Belfry has alot of improving left on defense.

Freshman RB/LB Gary Runyon showed alot of upside and may see some minutes this year.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Here's what I heard:

Varsity
Belfry 3 TD
Boyd 0

Elkins tossed a TD to Lovern, Thomas Varney ran for a TD

Belfry was without starting center Chancey Cisco and All-State candidate OT Ryan Blackburn. Pirates looked alright on offense, a little rusty as expected. Lots of bodies moving in and out in a very deep backfield.

Lovern, as expected, saw quite a few minutes at SE. Whoever #89 is was apparently impressive and looks to be a potentially solid receiver.

Belfry has alot of improving left on defense.

Freshman RB/LB Gary Runyon showed alot of upside and may see some minutes this year.
Belfry's defense was actually wasn't bad. The first series Boyd moved the ball a bit, but after that Belfry held them in check pretty good.
Offense like you said was pretty accurate. Ivan didn't touch the ball very much at all and after the first series Belfry had younger guys on the line.
The JV was real impressive as well. They held Boyd down with a few of Boyds starters still playing, including the quarterback and halfback.
The most plesent thing I saw was the punting game. Varney putted the ball a lot better and I mean a lot better. Also Ivan kicked better as well, he used to kick it to high, but he was kicking lower with more power, and accurate.
As far as standout players, it was hard to indetify everybody because they all had their jerseys mixed up, not that Haywood would ever do sucha thing lol.
But overall for a first scrimmage I was impressed. I mean Belfry primarly ran the ball up the middle with a couple options ran. They never show to much. Elkins appeared as if he may have picked up a step or two as well.
Belfry Wins,
Do you have any idea who #89 was because from what I heard the kid looked to have hands receiving that Belfry hasn't had sinc Aaron Chapman the big TE.

Also, Thomas Varney supposedly has put on a noticable ammount of musclebut still appears as fast as last season if not faster.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Belfry Wins,
Do you have any idea who #89 was because from what I heard the kid looked to have hands receiving that Belfry hasn't had sinc Aaron Chapman the big TE.

Also, Thomas Varney supposedly has put on a noticable ammount of musclebut still appears as fast as last season if not faster.
Yeah Thomas was the biggest improvement I saw. My biggest worries were putning and D-line, but punting is much improved and the d-line will be fine and only improve.
89 was impressive, and I have no idea who he is. Another kid that looked good was Chase Maynard. I think that was his name, said he was a junior who didn't play last year. He ran a touchdown with the JV and had some wheels.
These jv and Freshman kdis are impressive 2, they aren't afraid to lay hits.
Also Elkins had some nice hits on defense.
Belfry Wins Wrote:Yeah Thomas was the biggest improvement I saw. My biggest worries were putning and D-line, but punting is much improved and the d-line will be fine and only improve.
89 was impressive, and I have no idea who he is. Another kid that looked good was Chase Maynard. I think that was his name, said he was a junior who didn't play last year. He ran a touchdown with the JV and had some wheels.
These jv and Freshman kdis are impressive 2, they aren't afraid to lay hits.
Also Elkins had some nice hits on defense.
#89 is Corey Charles for the time being. As I understand it, when the season starts though he will be wearing #19. Thomas Varney's younger brother Jordan will be # 89 when the season starts.
cobra67 Wrote:#89 is Corey Charles for the time being. As I understand it, when the season starts though he will be wearing #19. Thomas Varney's younger brother Jordan will be # 89 when the season starts.
That explains the good hands, Corey has great hands on baseball field and the speed. But has he grown? He looks taller.
cobra67 Wrote:#89 is Corey Charles for the time being. As I understand it, when the season starts though he will be wearing #19. Thomas Varney's younger brother Jordan will be # 89 when the season starts.

Thanks cobra! I can only hope the younger Varney can match his brother's explosiveness. Thomas is definately Belfry's X-factor with his ability to run, catch, return, punt, and play safety.
According to my source (who smokes too much and chit chats with pals too much) the PUNTING GAME look great!

No, in all seriousness, i hear that that a couple starting o-lineman were out. Glad to hear Lovern is being FEATURED at SE! I know the kid has a some talent as a TB, but he is nearly 6 feet/has wheels and can catch the football. I honestly feel Belfry will need Lovern to strecth the field later in the year. Maybe for only two games, but in those two games it will really will mean a LOT.

Also heard of a frosh LB who, apparently has very nice size/look and stepped in and made a couple nice plays. Good to hear.

If anyone has the patience/kindness to give an idea about who is starting, I would appreciate it! I know the basics, but who is stepping into stops that were up for comp.

Sounds overall like Coach was pretty vanilla. I like to hear the reports that Thomas Varney has PHYSICALLY MATURED, because IMO we need a diminutive/speedy back to run alongside Lee and Dotson. Also think Elkins can add another level.

If Varney can be a big play guy, Doston can be a workhorse, Lee can be a mix between strong/speed runner, and Elkins can be a tad more worrysome/explosive to opposive defenses - the running game will be SUPERB.

I am VERY happen Coach is really playing Lovern at WR!!!!! I think he will be a real talent at that position and Andrew can get him the ball in space.

Not worried about the line at all. Just get healthy boys!.

I will wait to next week to worry about the D.

Thanks Guys!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Thanks cobra! I can only hope the younger Varney can match his brother's explosiveness. Thomas is definately Belfry's X-factor with his ability to run, catch, return, punt, and play safety.
Maybe in the future.I can say first hand that Thomas has absolutely worked his butt off all during the off season in the weight room to get stronger.All on his own at the local gym.I had to wake him up every other morning so he could be at the gym at 7a.m. to lift. I have to say I was awfully proud of his dedication.Really used the state game as his driving force I believe. Hope it shows this year.
Great post Cobra! That is what it takes!

Very proud of Mr. Varney for the effort and it WILL pay off. There is still time for HARD WORK to make the difference. A young man like T. Varney can provide the leadership!

Go Pirates!
Well here it goes. I'll keep it short and sweet to not ruffle any feathers in The Pond Creek Nation.

Boyd didn't show anything really, and during the 1st series Boyd had no trouble at all moving the ball downfield with the pass. They mixed it up with a couple runs to keep the Belfry Defense honest. That was the only series where the 1's were playing the 1's.

The 1st Belfry TD was against the Boyd Co 2's using the Belfry 1's. As for the other TD's well you know how scrimmages go it was a revolving door of subs.

Overall I was either impressed with the Boyd Co 1st team or expected more from the Belfry 1st team. Not sure which it was. Maybe I was just expecting more from Belfry than I saw.

Ivan Lee has gotten more lean from last year to this year and when he decides to put a linebacker on his butt and fill the hole look out! He is a beast this year!

I think both teams have a lot of bright spots and need a lot of work as well.
DevilsWin Wrote:Well here it goes. I'll keep it short and sweet to not ruffle any feathers in The Pond Creek Nation.

Boyd didn't show anything really, and during the 1st series Boyd had no trouble at all moving the ball downfield with the pass. They mixed it up with a couple runs to keep the Belfry Defense honest. That was the only series where the 1's were playing the 1's.

The 1st Belfry TD was against the Boyd Co 2's using the Belfry 1's. As for the other TD's well you know how scrimmages go it was a revolving door of subs.

Overall I was either impressed with the Boyd Co 1st team or expected more from the Belfry 1st team. Not sure which it was. Maybe I was just expecting more from Belfry than I saw.

Ivan Lee has gotten more lean from last year to this year and when he decides to put a linebacker on his butt and fill the hole look out! He is a beast this year!

If you come to a Belfry scrimmage expecting anything you will always be disappointed...haha
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If you come to a Belfry scrimmage expecting anything you will always be disappointed...haha
If anybody goes to any scrimmage expecting anything they are going to be dissapointed.
FBALL Wrote:If anybody goes to any scrimmage expecting anything they are going to be dissapointed.

You speak the truth...
DevilsWin Wrote:Well here it goes. I'll keep it short and sweet to not ruffle any feathers in The Pond Creek Nation.

Both teams had all of their playmakers in. Belfry also had the JV O-line in. But Boyd played their starters a lot more reps than Belfry. The QB and RB was playing while freshman and JV were all in already for Belfry. Boyd sstarted subbing its line during the second series but kept plenty of the starters in.
FBALL Wrote:If anybody goes to any scrimmage expecting anything they are going to be dissapointed.
I don't know I have seen some teams scrimmage to win, which is dumb. Like last night before the game Boyd County met in a huddle and was jumping up and down and all of that, and I thought for a moment that they might be one of those teams. But them and Belfry both took the practice approach, which is what you want to see in a scrimmage.
Belfry Wins Wrote:Both teams had all of their playmakers in. Belfry also had the JV O-line in. But Boyd played their starters a lot more reps than Belfry. The QB and RB was playing while freshman and JV were all in already for Belfry. Boyd sstarted subbing its line during the second series but kept plenty of the starters in.
That "starter" I think you may be refering to (#32) playing against the JV and Freshmen is actually a Freshman.

Besides Lee he was the most impressive player on the field IMO. Both are clearly more gifted than their peers.
Who does Boyd open against?