Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
40 Times
Daniel Harmon and Josh Mullins both ran in the 4.5's at EKU's senior day a month or so ago. Both of those guys can fly from what I have seen of them.
Could someone explain this supposed difference between a hand timed 40 and a laser 40? Could someone post a link so I can see what a laser timer looks like that you all are talking about?
Mama Bear Wrote:Could someone explain this supposed difference between a hand timed 40 and a laser 40? Could someone post a link so I can see what a laser timer looks like that you all are talking about?

A hand timed 40 is kept by hand... a laser is determined by a laser..that's the difference in the two Big Grin J/K

The main difference is human error and bias associated with the hand timing, which results in much quicker times when hand timing.

A laser timer has two marks that when passed through immediately result in either starting or stopping the timer, no reaction time errors.

A 4.5 40 has somehow became the "Guideline" for judging speed... too often (and I suspect in this thread already) people will either round up a 40 time (4.58 --> 4.5) or associate a number based on a hand timed 40 that the players own assistant coach had timed. 40's are very unreliable unless it is done at a facility designed for measurements with the correct professionals and equipment.
HazzBeen Wrote:Is that Chicago Bears or Harlan County Bears? A 4.5 and two 4.6 on a mountain school. I don't know if I have ever seen it.
I think the Bears will have the most team speed in the mountains next year. If anyone seen Cumberland High School play last year then they could tell you about Gilliam's speed. He is not a big back, but if he gets in the secondary on any team in the mountains it could be (6).
Very nice post EKUalum05. It sounded very professional....Really!