Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who Wins Class 3A?
Jeepman Wrote:I just hate to see KHSAA allow this to happen once again. The 11 on 11 deal is a bunch of nonsense. If you take the best players from three schools and put them on one team it is and unfair advantage to play in 3-A. Put them in the division that they belong in!! Granted Russell should have been able to handle Mercer. They did not. See what happened to Mercer when they put them in 5-A 5-wins. The east may be far superior in 3-A but I'm concerned about Central.

Mercer did just win 5, but they lost 3 1000+ rushers and several other good players from that team. That also equals a big drop off. Anyway you put it, they can only be 11 at any one time. The other may have more back ups or replacements, that is why I agree with others on here who believe you have to have your players in the best possible physical and mental condition. Some players can't be replaced if they are that much better than any on the team.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Central and West= Lou. Central and Paducah Tilghman.... not very wide open at all.
All three are beatable, making it wide-open. While these three are tough, they are not head-and -shoulders above everyone else....There is more of an even playing field in this part of the state.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

RedDevil_TE Wrote:Whatever, i played in this game and if we would have kept running 8-28 and kicking it out we would have done much better. I didnt think breathitt was the best team we played. In my personal opinion mason co. or Ashland with Matt Thomas at running back was the best teams we played. But oh well, you win some and you lose some and we happened to lose that one. Good luck breathittt.
Then it was a coaching mistake that 8-28 was not run, meaning that the blackcats were out-coached....I do think that Breathitt's defense played better than usual in that game, and the Bobcats were fortunate to come out ahead. The talent levels on these teams are so close that just about every game is fun to watch.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Then it was a coaching mistake that 8-28 was not run, meaning that the blackcats were out-coached....I do think that Breathitt's defense played better than usual in that game, and the Bobcats were fortunate to come out ahead. The talent levels on these teams are so close that just about every game is fun to watch.
I think you meant the Red Devils, and no they weren't out coached.
DevilsWin Wrote:I think you meant the Red Devils, and no they weren't out coached.
I thought the post was about the Prestonsburg game. The point I am making regardless of team is that if a play is working, run it until it is stopped on a consistent basis.

I'm sure the coaches calling the plays were seeing something that spectators and players weren't seeing.
Maybe 8-28 was there, maybe not. It doesn't matter.

What matters is that all 11 guys on that side of the ball do their jobs to perfection. If you do that, given the experience on the RHS Coaching Staff, you won't be beat! Unless you have a player mismatch.

Execution, execution execution.
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm sure the coaches calling the plays were seeing something that spectators and players weren't seeing.
Maybe 8-28 was there, maybe not. It doesn't matter.

What matters is that all 11 guys on that side of the ball do their jobs to perfection. If you do that, given the experience on the RHS Coaching Staff, you won't be beat! Unless you have a player mismatch.

Execution, execution execution.

Or simply out manned. Most teams load the box, and then shift to the strong side (WB side) this happens just about every game Ive seen Russell play.
I think it will be Belfry, No doubt about it.
bcbears_fan Wrote:I think it will be Belfry, No doubt about it.

It could be a repeat of last year...time will tell though.TongueirateSho
We will be ready for Belfry this year.Go BOBCATS.:rockon:
Breathitt Bobcat Wrote:We will be ready for Belfry this year.Go BOBCATS.:rockon:

Most teams are ready for their opponents in the State Semi's... it wasn't like last year was the first time Belfry and Bretahitt had met. Belfry hasn't changed their offense and defense since the previous meetings. Breathitt didn't have the depth, the strength, the personnell, the mental toughness, and the defense to stop Belfry last season. If they can improve all those things drastically then they have a chance.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Most teams are ready for their opponents in the State Semi's... it wasn't like last year was the first time Belfry and Bretahitt had met. Belfry hasn't changed their offense and defense since the previous meetings. Breathitt didn't have the depth, the strength, the personnell, the mental toughness, and the defense to stop Belfry last season. If they can improve all those things drastically then they have a chance.
Belfry was a good team, and Breathitt had a good record, but really were outmatched physically by most of their opponants. Breathitt did make a strategic error as far as the kind of defense they played, but it really would not have mattered in the final outcome IMO. Breathitt overachieved last season, but they have the athletes and size throughout their starting line-up to compete with anyone in 3A. It was a great win for Belfry last season, but they did what they should have done against an outmached Bobcat team. This year, there are no excuses for not competing.

EKUAlum05 Wrote:Most teams are ready for their opponents in the State Semi's... it wasn't like last year was the first time Belfry and Bretahitt had met. Belfry hasn't changed their offense and defense since the previous meetings. Breathitt didn't have the depth, the strength, the personnell, the mental toughness, and the defense to stop Belfry last season. If they can improve all those things drastically then they have a chance.

Breathitt had what it took, however, they chose to play a very bad defense against a very good team. They are not going to put 11 in the box and beat a team like Belfry. I don't think they are doing anything drastic, they only have around 38 kids out, but of those, there are "several" that are as good as anyone in the state and will play both ways. If they run that defense again, then Belfry could very well do the same thing if they meet. If not and they play their base, could be a different outcome because Breathitt is going to score more this year than last.
need moderator help please......

sorry for the complete subject change.. carry on
I know that numbers alone won't win games or championships, but I heard that Harlan County had 93 kids show up for summer practice. :eek: I would imagine that they can find 11 kids to play defense and 11 more to play offense that will be as good as anyone in the state in 3A. It should be a fun year to watch football in the mountains.
sportsfan1 Wrote:I know that numbers alone won't win games or championships, but I heard that Harlan County had 93 kids show up for summer practice. :eek: I would imagine that they can find 11 kids to play defense and 11 more to play offense that will be as good as anyone in the state in 3A. It should be a fun year to watch football in the mountains.

Knowing their coach, which I do, he will play his best 11 be it on offense, defense, and special teams. Whether it is a total of 15 kids or they are lucky enough to do what you say and play 11 on each side. I don't look for that to happen, he will keep his best on the field, he has in the past and will continue to do so. He is an Old School coach and knows what it takes to be successful, numbers are just that to him, numbers. He is going to play his best 11. Just for the record, I have not saw a team with 22 players as good as anyone in the state on one team. That would suggest you have 22 division 1 prospects, you couldn't get beat if you tried.
Here is an intertesting tidbit:

With Sheldon Clark's move to turf, as well as Hazard's... coupled with the new alignment.

If Belfry wins every game this season, that means they will have played 16 of their 17 games on turf (including scrimmages)..as it stands now Belfry will host Boyd County and Hazard (while Hazard's field finishes) for scrimmages.

Their regular season away games are at Pikeville, SC, Johnson Central, and Lawrence County (only non-turf field).

Winning all games means Belfry would be the #1 seed in Region 4 District 8.

Thus they would host the first two rounds of the playoffs.

They would then host the 1 Seed from District 7 as it is an Even Numbered Year.

They would host the winner of Region 3 in the Semi's (Breathitt/Harlan) because it is an even number year as well.

The State Championship would be on the turf of Papa John's.
Mercer's going to be tough as nails again this year.
NIECE Wrote:Knowing their coach, which I do, he will play his best 11 be it on offense, defense, and special teams. Whether it is a total of 15 kids or they are lucky enough to do what you say and play 11 on each side. I don't look for that to happen, he will keep his best on the field, he has in the past and will continue to do so. He is an Old School coach and knows what it takes to be successful, numbers are just that to him, numbers. He is going to play his best 11. Just for the record, I have not saw a team with 22 players as good as anyone in the state on one team. That would suggest you have 22 division 1 prospects, you couldn't get beat if you tried.

I should have said that better. I didn't mean to say it would be 22 different players. I just meant 11 on the field at one time that could be as good as anyone in the state.
sportsfan1 Wrote:I should have said that better. I didn't mean to say it would be 22 different players. I just meant 11 on the field at one time that could be as good as anyone in the state.
From what I have seen, there is very little difference in the amount of talent throughout the state. It is the developement of that talent that has separated the teams IMO. HCC will have a good team, but I think it will take them a year or two to get things rolling smoothly.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:From what I have seen, there is very little difference in the amount of talent throughout the state. It is the developement of that talent that has separated the teams IMO. HCC will have a good team, but I think it will take them a year or two to get things rolling smoothly.

I agree, but teams better not overlook Harlan County. Personally I think Breathitt wins that district, but I would not be surprised to see Harlan County come out on top.
NIECE Wrote:Breathitt had what it took, however, they chose to play a very bad defense against a very good team. They are not going to put 11 in the box and beat a team like Belfry. I don't think they are doing anything drastic, they only have around 38 kids out, but of those, there are "several" that are as good as anyone in the state and will play both ways. If they run that defense again, then Belfry could very well do the same thing if they meet. If not and they play their base, could be a different outcome because Breathitt is going to score more this year than last.
Belfry was clearly a better team and outmatched Breathitt physically. I am originally from Jackson and I hate to say it, but Belfry was simply a better team. When I saw Breathitt play, I saw undersized recievers and corners, the secondary was not very good. I saw them practice this year, and it appears that every one of the kids they had last year had a growth spurt. They were fast and had good size throughout the starting line-up. If Breathitt can get through the regular season without any serious injuries, they will compete for the 3A title. I am not saying last years Belfry game was a fluke, but ist is uncommon that there are blowouts in the games between the top mountain teams. Belfry is the team to beat, and Breathitt along with Russell and possibly Harlan will be gunning for them as far as EKY in concerned.

sportsfan1 Wrote:I agree, but teams better not overlook Harlan County. Personally I think Breathitt wins that district, but I would not be surprised to see Harlan County come out on top.
It will be interesting to say the least. Breathitt is beatable, but it will take a very good team that has a very good night to beat them. Harlan has the numbers advantage, and it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get the system down. If they get the system down before the playoffs, Harlan will be a tough game. I am not even going to talk about the regular season, that game really will not matter that much because these two teams will more than likely meet again in the District final.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:It will be interesting to say the least. Breathitt is beatable, but it will take a very good team that has a very good night to beat them. Harlan has the numbers advantage, and it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to get the system down. If they get the system down before the playoffs, Harlan will be a tough game. I am not even going to talk about the regular season, that game really will not matter that much because these two teams will more than likely meet again in the District final.
I don't think it will really matter all that much.... but remember this is the year that the intra-district playoff pairings return.... top 4 seeds from Breathitt's vs. Top 4 from Somerset's...meaning the 2 seed will more than liekly be visiting the Briar Patch before a possible rematch.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I don't think it will really matter all that much.... but remember this is the year that the intra-district playoff pairings return.... top 4 seeds from Breathitt's vs. Top 4 from Somerset's...meaning the 2 seed will more than liekly be visiting the Briar Patch before a possible rematch.
I did not know that the intra-district games were back, good to hear...Thanks....I may get to See Breathitt play Taylor County, that would be a good 5 minutes...

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I did not know that the intra-district games were back, good to hear...Thanks....I may get to See Breathitt play Taylor County, that would be a good 5 minutes...

The bad news is, with the alignment being used Belfry will host the playoffs as long as they secure a #1 seed.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:The bad news is, with the alignment being used Belfry will host the playoffs as long as they secure a #1 seed.
They have a nice field, but the drive to the middle of know where is rough. How did Belfry manage to host it? Will they host it every year?

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:They have a nice field, but the drive to the middle of know where is rough. How did Belfry manage to host it? Will they host it every year?

Even years the even numbered region hosts. Last year Belfry was the region 3 champ and Breathitt from region 4. They switch back this year. If Breathitt makes it back to the semi final, they will have to travel either to Russell or Belfry.
sportsfan1 Wrote:Even years the even numbered region hosts. Last year Belfry was the region 3 champ and Breathitt from region 4. They switch back this year. If Breathitt makes it back to the semi final, they will have to travel either to Russell or Belfry.
No big deal to play in Belfry...They have a nice place and the best team will win. I do realize that it would be easier to have a game closer to home, but if Breathitt makes it back and has a chance to play Belfry, they will not mind playing in Belfry.

If any team had all that they could beat Belfry. Not just Breathitt.