Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who will be the team to beat this year in 3A?
who does everyone think the team to beat in 3A will be? Just wondering everyones opinion.
The defending state champ Lou. Central with their 4 Major D-1 prospects on defense.

Belfry was 4 TD's better then anyone else in the East last season, they also ahve to a team to beat.
Belfry and Lou Central, period.
Belfry will be the team to beat in the East. Russell and Breathitt Co. will be very good also, but not as good as Belfry. Sheldon Clark and Mason Co. will be dangerous enough to beat any team mentioned above, but would have to be considered underdogs in any of the games.

Lou. Central will be the most athletic team in AAA but their brutal schedule could wind up costing them to much. Playing the likes of Male, Manual, St. X, and Highlands will make you better if you don't end up with injuries. They were injury free last year, but I'm afraid that the schedule that made them better last year could be their un-doing this year. Paducah Tilghman is always FAST. They will be the main threat out West and if Central plays poorly or gets some injuries the Blue Tornados will more than likely be playing in the Pizza Box come Dec.
Louisville Central......They won it last year and are loaded again
Belfry......Couple mistakes away from winning last year......I think both teams will be improved

Paducah Tigh.......Nearly beat Central and are loaded
Breathitt and Russell......Both will be good as usual and dangerous.
Mason and Sheldon Clark......Next down on the list and also dangerous, but would take monsterous game to pull the upset

Don't know of any more dangerous West teams than the two I mentioned, but Im sure they are other contenders.
I think Estill could be in the mix.
I agree with Fox, definitely Central & Belfry... no one in 3A can beat either of those teams.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I agree with Fox, definitely Central & Belfry... no one in 3A can beat either of those teams.

Isn't Russell 3A?
Russell is always a threat. Watch out for Breathitt Co!
While there are many teams that will be very talented this year with loads of exp coming back.

The Favorite to WIN it all has to be Central, with the talent they have it have the best chance.

The second best team in 3A that i watched play last year wasn't belfry...it was Paducah T....they matched belfry's size and strengh with a load of SPEED.

Outside of those two teams Belfry has the best shot to make it to louisville than any other team in the East, they dominated their local competition last season.

Brethitt and Russell always have a shot, but just dont have the talent to compete with these other schools
sore_looser Wrote:Russell is always a threat. Watch out for Breathitt Co!

I agree Russell is capable of beating any 3A or and probably most 4A schools.
Lou. Central and Belfry
Russell will run Belfry to death if given the chance in 2008!
Man it is hard not to keep yelling R-U-S-S-E-L-L,, right now but that would draw attention to them. I have a feeling that Russell will have a better year than in 2005, we had one loss then.. I am thinking this year could be the 15-0 season... just a thougth.

I know that everybody thinks their team is the best and will win it so I will not continue.. man they look good this year.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DevilsWin Wrote:Russell will run Belfry to death if given the chance in 2008!

Even in the years that Russell has beaten Belfry they have never "Ran Belfry to death".... what makes you think this year would be any different?

Last year Belfry was 4 TD's better than anyone in the East...the Pirates return just as many starters as Russell... what makes you feel that all of a sudden Russell has improved those 4 TD's and then some more to the point that they would "Run Belfry to death"?

And are you going to make the comment this season like last that Belfry won't get past Russell because Ivan Lee is soft and can't take a hit? I remember you predicting that last season about Dustin May, might as well predict Russell will shut down Belfry's running game while you are predicting Russell will run all over them.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Even in the years that Russell has beaten Belfry they have never "Ran Belfry to death".... what makes you think this year would be any different?

Last year Belfry was 4 TD's better than anyone in the East...the Pirates return just as many starters as Russell... what makes you feel that all of a sudden Russell has improved those 4 TD's and then some more to the point that they would "Run Belfry to death"?

And are you going to make the comment this season like last that Belfry won't get past Russell because Ivan Lee is soft and can't take a hit? I remember you predicting that last season about Dustin May, might as well predict Russell will shut down Belfry's running game while you are predicting Russell will run all over them.
LOL I just like getting your goat!:Clap:

This is a different year. Russell is "built for speed" this year, and from what I've heard from the Belfry Faithful, Power not Speed will be their strong suit.

Anyone who attended the game at Papa Johns last year is well aware that Speed Kills!

We shall see............
DevilsWin Wrote:LOL I just like getting your goat!:Clap:

This is a different year. Russell is "built for speed" this year, and from what I've heard from the Belfry Faithful, Power not Speed will be their strong suit.

Anyone who attended the game at Papa Johns last year is well aware that Speed Kills!

We shall see............

Russell is not currently, nor ever will be the same speed as Louisville Central. The only team in 3A who compares is Paducah Tilghman.

Russell may be built for speed, but their speed will be very similar to Belfry's, especially with Abrams as the feature back.

Ivan Lee will be Belfry's leading rusher and workhorse, but Thomas Varney and Timmy Lovern are probably as fast, if not faster, than any Russell halfback.

Belfry's strong suit is Power because they have more power than anyone else in 3A behind that O-line and with Lee and Dotson running, but don't think for a second they don't also have speed.
I don't know if Belfry was 4 TDs better than Russell last year. They didn't play so nobody will know. I do think had they played Russell would have been a much tougher matchup for Belfry than Breathitt County was because of the difference between styles of play. Not only on offense but defense as well. Breathitt loaded up the line and if you got by the first wave the big play was there. Belfry took advantage of that where Russell did not.

That said I do believe that Belfry was the best team in the east last season. Not far better but still the best.

I said it last year and I will say it this year as well. 3A will belong to Central. Too many
athletes.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:Russell is not currently, nor ever will be the same speed as Louisville Central. The only team in 3A who compares is Paducah Tilghman.

Russell may be built for speed, but their speed will be very similar to Belfry's, especially with Abrams as the feature back.

Ivan Lee will be Belfry's leading rusher and workhorse, but Thomas Varney and Timmy Lovern are probably as fast, if not faster, than any Russell halfback.

Belfry's strong suit is Power because they have more power than anyone else in 3A behind that O-line and with Lee and Dotson running, but don't think for a second they don't also have speed.

So I guess you clocked everyone from Central and did a comparison to all the kids you clocked at Russell. That must have taken a lot of time.

You keep focusing on Abrams and the other 10 guys will see you in the end zone!:thumpsup:

In 2008 the East Ky boys from Russell will be ready for the speed of Central unlike the 2007 boys from Belfry....Smile

All joking aside though, who knows who will end up making the trip. Harlan Co could surprise us all and go all the way. Breathitt Co has as good a shot as Russell or Belfry.

Sheldon Clark- Not gonna make it.:dontthink

Mason Co- I'll be suprised if they make it to a Semifinal.
DevilsWin Wrote:So I guess you clocked everyone from Central and did a comparison to all the kids you clocked at Russell. That must have taken a lot of time.

You keep focusing on Abrams and the other 10 guys will see you in the end zone!:thumpsup:

In 2008 the East Ky boys from Russell will be ready for the speed of Central unlike the 2007 boys from Belfry....Smile

All joking aside though, who knows who will end up making the trip. Harlan Co could surprise us all and go all the way. Breathitt Co has as good a shot as Russell or Belfry.

Sheldon Clark- Not gonna make it.:dontthink

Mason Co- I'll be suprised if they make it to a Semifinal.

Some speed you don't have to clock anything, you can just see it. The difference between the team speed of Belfry and Russell over a given period of time is marginal, sometimes in Russell's favor, sometimes in favor of Belfry, but neither has fielded a team that fast.

So I can't make assumptions on Russell based on their feature back, but you can about Belfry? Wink

After seeing Central's speed last year I have a feeling Coach Haywood has made a few adjustments, just a hunch Smile ....

But in all seriousness.... I agree with your perception of teams and their chances in 3A. Only a fool would say that Russell or Breathitt has no shot at this thing, history has proven these great programs will be in the thick of things every year, and all it takes is the ball bouncing the right way and crazy things happen.
Russell has a chance, only if they throw. Breathitt already does this well, so they are always a contender. Wing-T is great by itself when your overall telent level is heads and shoulders above the opponent. However, the last time Russell beat Belfry was becasue of D, and efficient passing. Marcus Frazier was huge that game. He didn't play TB. I'm not talking about 40 passes a game like the TFS. 15-20 times and Russell has a good shot at 15-0. They limit their passing to 5 times a game, and I see them going about 11-1 or 11-2.