Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final: Newport Central Catholic 37 Pikeville 6
Final Score
Pikeville couldn't tackle in thie game....Someone mentioned to me that they need to do what Coach Carter did and just practice fundamentals for a week or so....they not only had trouble tackleing but also halding onto the football and catching passes.

But I'll tell you one thing...the games arn't as fun when your not a student there... :x ...Can't wait to get to college :o
Yeah, It changes some....But I still stood in the student section since I knew everyone for a few years after I graduated. After that I took my place at the top of the bleachers.

Pikeville will get better as the season goes on...They just need to work on fundamentals.
Agreed, I picked them to lose by 35....but if they would've wrapped up instead of going for knockout shots then it would've been a lot closer. New Cath wasn't all that impressive with the exception of a few players. I believe as the season progresses and Region 4 will get better then we might have the possibility of going to PJCS in December. Pikeville looked tough at times and other times looked like a middle school team. I look for it to be a dog fight after watching Sports Overtime last night between Pikeville, Paintsville, and Hazard for the district crown.
Pikeville is a school of tradition, and that's just what I saw tonight. They have never been that good in the Pike County Bowl and beginnning of the season. I was impressed at some of their speed there at the beginning but they just got worn out over the course of the game. I look for them to follow what has seemed to be the pattern over several years and that is getting better as the season progresses. Kudos to them for playing hard the first 2 quarters, they just need to work on conditioning and tackling fundamentals. As for the offense, Weston Robinson needs to work on holding on to the ball. I think he needs to have a few practices where all they do is run him through the blasters and teach him how precious holding on to that football is.

I look for a District Title this season though. Maybe a good run at Region.
I went to the game so I will offer some observations that I saw.
-NCC is TOUGH!! They may very well win Class A this year
-Pikeville's defense is better than last year. Their defense is very good and for the most part in the 1st half they were doing very good in the game on the defensive side of the ball
-Pikeville's offense looked horrible and was painful to watch. It was esay to tell they don't have the system down because they could not get anything going.
-If Pikeville can get going on offense they will win Region 4 Class A. No team in Region 4 class A will score very much on the Panthers, I just don't know if the Panthers will be able to put points on the board.
-Pikeville not being in the WYMT top 10 is a joke, even though NCC did give them a thumping
-NCC is the best team Pikeville will play this season until the state semi-finals if Pikeville wins Region 4(NCC would thump Belfry and Pburg also)
-The Panthers defense was much better than I anticpated but the offesne was much worse

Time to reboud and get ready for the Corbin Redounds. I think this game will be a very close hard fought match that either team will have a chance to win at the end.
PHSFAN Wrote:I went to the game so I will offer some observations that I saw.
-Pikeville's defense is better than last year. Their defense is very good and for the most part in the 1st half they were doing very good in the game on the defensive side of the ball
-Pikeville's offense looked horrible and was painful to watch. It was esay to tell they don't have the system down because they could not get anything going.
-If Pikeville can get going on offense they will win Region 4 Class A. No team in Region 4 class A will score very much on the Panthers, I just don't know if the Panthers will be able to put points on the board.
-Pikeville not being in the WYMT top 10 is a joke, even though NCC did give them a thumping
-NCC is the best team Pikeville will play this season until the state semi-finals if Pikeville wins Region 4(NCC would thump Belfry and Pburg also)
-The Panthers defense was much better than I anticpated but the offesne was much worse

Time to reboud and get ready for the Corbin Redounds. I think this game will be a very close hard fought match that either team will have a chance to win at the end.

SOunds like I need to rearrange my district picks. I was hearing that Pikeville would struggle this year with the new offense and all. But sounds like to me they gonna be OK yet again. .Best of luck to the Panthers..
torQQue Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:I went to the game so I will offer some observations that I saw.

SOunds like I need to rearrange my district picks. I was hearing that Pikeville would struggle this year with the new offense and all. But sounds like to me they gonna be OK yet again. .Best of luck to the Panthers..

They are going to stuggle early on IMO QQ. The game next week at Corbin will tell a lot(I going to go by the way so if you are going let me know and ride down with me from Lex). I have been saying all summer that NCC would beat them but the offense was the worst I have seen Pikeville run since probably 1997. Pikeville could very easily be 1-4 heading into week 6 but they will get everyhing ironed out on offense and be a very good team by the playoffs IMO. The offense looked like it was very complicated so I think it si going to take a while for the players to get it down but I expect that they will.
Hey, that sounds good. BelfryPride and I had talked about going to a game this weekend and promoting the site. DO you have room for both of us. If not me and him could follow you in my car.. Let me know. He has already taken off work friday.

TIA
torQQue Wrote:Hey, that sounds good. BelfryPride and I had talked about going to a game this weekend and promoting the site. DO you have room for both of us. If not me and him could follow you in my car.. Let me know. He has already taken off work friday.

TIA

I got the mothers Escalade down here so I can get both of you guys in there if you want to go.
Yes, that would be great. .You can help us pass out a few flyers as well. Smile But PM me your phone number so I can let get in touch with you. I had it and reformatted my pc.. I will come to Lexington Thursday so Amanda and the boys can visit her mom.. Well leave from there and swing by and pick BP up on the way.. Ill chip in on gas as well. Maybe we can get a early start and hit Golden Corral or something.
torQQue Wrote:Yes, that would be great. .You can help us pass out a few flyers as well. Smile But PM me your phone number so I can let get in touch with you. I had it and reformatted my pc.. I will come to Lexington Thursday so Amanda and the boys can visit her mom.. Well leave from there and swing by and pick BP up on the way.. Ill chip in on gas as well. Maybe we can get a early start and hit Golden Corral or something.

You got mail.
Pikeville will be just fine. They will make it to the finals of the region and then it's who wants it the most and makes the least mistakes.
A couple of observations...
...Pikeville will not be much better unless there are changes made on the line. I agree with an earlier post, Rowe and Bryant will have to be on the O-line or you'll see chaos all year. There are a couple on the oline that just can't handle it.
...I think Coach J is going to learn quickly that this is Single A and your Athletes and Football Players MUST go both ways.
...Pikeville must get back to the basics...blocking, tackling, passing, and catching.
...Just my opinion, I was not overly impressed with NewCath. Good team, but not extremely impressive that one would say they have a shot to win Class A.
...Pikeville must make major changes or may be outside looking in at a home playoff game
CBS Sports Wrote:...Pikeville must make major changes or may be outside looking in at a home playoff game

Are you serious? Outside looking in come playoff time? Pikeville's JV could make the playoffs in this district.
I think he meant that they wouldn't be one of the top 2 teams and would not be hosting a playoff game....
My bad MTNFAN....Thanks Beef!
PHSFAN Wrote:
CBS Sports Wrote:...Pikeville must make major changes or may be outside looking in at a home playoff game

Are you serious? Outside looking in come playoff time? Pikeville's JV could make the playoffs in this district.
That's the kind of attitude that allows others to surpass the Panthers as the elite of the district.
Write it down...Paintsville and Hazard will be tough games and South Floyd will be tougher that you think.
The game was extremely hard to watch. I reluctantly went into it with high hopes, because I knew the talent and leadership that Pikeville posesses this year. It was a hurter, but it won't dampen my spirits and future hopes about the rest of the season.

I say, give them a couple of games, let them get really used to and comfortable with their offense, then we'll see some real pikeville football.

And about the fundamentals, I definetely agree. Coach Mike Jackson spent a few hours with them on Monday just watching and critiquing their game. I'm excited to see what happens at Corbin, and how everything shaped up.
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:

That's the kind of attitude that allows others to surpass the Panthers as the elite of the district.
Write it down...Paintsville and Hazard will be tough games and South Floyd will be tougher that you think.

Nobody is going to surpass Pikeville as the elite team in the district. Pikeville may have a down year(see 1997)where they don't host a home playoff game but Pikeville is and will continue to be the elite team in the district.
PHSFAN Wrote:
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:

Nobody is going to surpass Pikeville as the elite team in the district. Pikeville may have a down year(see 1997)where they don't host a home playoff game but Pikeville is and will continue to be the elite team in the district.
You just proved my point....talk doesn't get it, hard work does.
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:

Who cares if I talk?? I am not a player nor do I live in Pikeville and have contact with the players. I am a FAN that is on a message board so yes I am going to talk and it has NO effect on the team whatsoever no matter how bad you want it to. I know the coaching staff and I know that this team is working as hard as any team ever at PHS but the talent level is down a little and they are learning a new system. I have been saying Pikeville could EASILY stary out 1-4 with their schedule but like it or not they will be in contention for another district and regional title.
double post
PHSFAN Wrote:
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:

Who cares if I talk?? I am not a player nor do I live in Pikeville and have contact with the players. I am a FAN that is on a message board so yes I am going to talk and it has NO effect on the team whatsoever no matter how bad you want it to. I know the coaching staff and I know that this team is working as hard as any team ever at PHS but the talent level is down a little and they are learning a new system. I have been saying Pikeville could EASILY stary out 1-4 with their schedule but like it or not they will be in contention for another district and regional title.
easy now. I don't mean to upset you.
I am referring to players talking instead of working...Yes, they are wotking hard ...Now.... but how many really gave it their all in the weightroom this winter??? Not too many. That's why the line is an issue.
From what I hear the weightroom activity picked up a lot after Coach Jackson was hired. It will take time for Coach Jackson to install everything but I expect the work ethic to be at an all-time high at Pikeville High School once he does.
PHSFAN Wrote:From what I hear the weightroom activity picked up a lot after Coach Jackson was hired. It will take time for Coach Jackson to install everything but I expect the work ethic to be at an all-time high at Pikeville High School once he does.
I heard the same but it is pretty obvious a couple of lineman either didn't show up to lift or dogged it when they did.
CBS Sports Wrote:
PHSFAN Wrote:From what I hear the weightroom activity picked up a lot after Coach Jackson was hired. It will take time for Coach Jackson to install everything but I expect the work ethic to be at an all-time high at Pikeville High School once he does.
I heard the same but it is pretty obvious a couple of lineman either didn't show up to lift or dogged it when they did.

Maybe that had something to do with Coach Jackson getting hired so late and not getting to Pikeville until after school was out but I agree with you it was obivious. Now that Coach Jackson is at Pikeville full-time and living in Pikeville hopefully he will make sure that those lineman live in the weightroom from Decemeber-July.