Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville Panthers '08
With a new coach and an entire new attitude surrounding the Maroon Nation this year. What is everyones toughts on this years season for the Panthers? Lots of new faces will be on the field after we lost 15 seniors but some familiar ones will be there as well. Everyone knows about Harmon and he deserves every bit of the attention hes getting. I want to know who else will have to shine in order for us to have a successful year?
Pikeville will go only as far as their lines take them..PERIOD!

Pikeville is blessed to have arguably the best RB in EKY returning next year in Harmon, he is also a tremendous player on defense. I also may be in the minority, but I also feel Pikeville will have better production and more fluidity at the skill spots by season's end. Baker will eb a solid WR with another year of experience under his belt, and Branham brings a better arm to the table (and probably far less turnovers). Throw in Mullins at the other HB and Pikeville should be able to at leats ahve big play capability.

Defensively Pikeville will be undersized but posess quality speed and athleticism.

BUT, if Pikeville can not only fill the losses up front on both sides, bt furthermore, cannot improve. It will spell another early round playoff exit prior to the state semis. Harmon's a tough kid, but life will be hard for him if they can't give him protection.
Up front on defense I am looking at 6'2" 240, 6'0" 260, 6'3" 265, and 6'5" 265. That doesn't look undersized to me. Those four plus a couple of other big boys will also probably start on offense. Three of the four listed above are underclassman. I have a lot of talent to work with right now.
I know theres talent over there...but losing 15 seniors who almost all start has to kill a team. YES, there is talent and a lot of kids stepping up into roles and they may fill those positions well,, BUT the big thing is expirience!! If you have sophomore stepping into a starting role for the first time, then you dont know what will happen in a pressure situation. Varsity football is way different than 8th grade freshman or jv football is.

I think Pikeville will be decent this year, and go to maybe the third round of the playoffs. I just think they need a year to develop all the fresh raw talent and develop all these players into varsity kids. Yes they still have harmon but he cannot do it all by himself if he has new players that he has not played with and does not yet wholly trust to block for him or w/e. So in my ever so humble opinion,, I see a second or third round exit from Pikeville for the sole reason of inexpirience in the fresh players.

I wish you all the best of luck next year and hope to see you guys do well...as long as its not against us. lol
It will be standard Pikeville from the past couple of years.... win the district, and then proceed to botch the easiest "Road to Louisville" in the entire state.

They may have size, but without experience, technique, and a little heart.... size means nothing!

BTW.... Pikeville does have an unproven head coach and the same staff as last year. They lost their "seasoned head coach" to Ballard..... What would make anyone believe things are going to be any better there?
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I know theres talent over there...but losing 15 seniors who almost all start has to kill a team. YES, there is talent and a lot of kids stepping up into roles and they may fill those positions well,, BUT the big thing is expirience!! If you have sophomore stepping into a starting role for the first time, then you dont know what will happen in a pressure situation. Varsity football is way different than 8th grade freshman or jv football is.

I think Pikeville will be decent this year, and go to maybe the third round of the playoffs. I just think they need a year to develop all the fresh raw talent and develop all these players into varsity kids. Yes they still have harmon but he cannot do it all by himself if he has new players that he has not played with and does not yet wholly trust to block for him or w/e. So in my ever so humble opinion,, I see a second or third round exit from Pikeville for the sole reason of inexpirience in the fresh players.

I wish you all the best of luck next year and hope to see you guys do well...as long as its not against us. lol

Pikeville has a ton of talent and if they work hard and take to the new coach like people are saying they could very easily be more dangerous than last year come playoff time. Harmon will have plenty of help and EKU is right, they will go as far as their (very big) line takes them...
I dont know about botching the easiest road to state but look how easy that road is now. Pikevilles district is weak but look at district 7, if its not Pikeville and Hazard in the Regional championship game then both coaches should be fired. There is not another team in district 7 or 8 that can play.
A Decent Lineman Wrote:I know theres talent over there...but losing 15 seniors who almost all start has to kill a team. YES, there is talent and a lot of kids stepping up into roles and they may fill those positions well,, BUT the big thing is expirience!! If you have sophomore stepping into a starting role for the first time, then you dont know what will happen in a pressure situation. Varsity football is way different than 8th grade freshman or jv football is.

I think Pikeville will be decent this year, and go to maybe the third round of the playoffs. I just think they need a year to develop all the fresh raw talent and develop all these players into varsity kids. Yes they still have Harmon but he cannot do it all by himself if he has new players that he has not played with and does not yet wholly trust to block for him or w/e. So in my ever so humble opinion,, I see a second or third round exit from Pikeville for the sole reason of inexpirience in the fresh players.

Under normal circumstances Id agree with you but alot of those seniors had injuries last year and because we didnt have alot of depth to begin with that meant alot of freshmen and sophomores saw serious varsity time. There was 6 freshmen or sophomores that started multiple varsity games and Im not just talking about against teams like Betsy Lane either. While this hurt us last year it will be a blessing in disguise that these underclassmen will now have varsity experience. There might still be some growing pains to go through Im sure but I honestly believe they WILL be ready when Corbin rolls into town. Also like Ive been saying for a while now the overall attitude of this team is the best Ive seen it in a while and that can do nothing but help.
Will the new coach use the same offensive and defensive schemes as the previous coach?
Its going to be interesting from an outsiders view on this team. We all know that Pikeville is Pikeville, they have athleticism to compete with most of the teams in 1A, but do they have the experience, strength, and coaching? Thats the only question I have about the Panthers. They have a new coach, they lost alot of talent off of last years team, and will be starting alot of players that may not have seen the field yet at the varsity level. Yes, Pikeville does have probably the easiest road of any other class in the state to the Regional Championship but with the tough schedule they face it may help them get pass Hazard, you never really know.

I think that Pikeville will be a good team this upcoming season winning around 6 or 7 games.

Like the previous post asks, what type of offense will they be running?

Best of luck Pikeville!
*Admin. Edit: Edited for being off-topic*

This thread is about Pikeville, not Painstville.
Give the ball to harmon, block, tackle, win.

*Admin. note: Please use proper spelling and grammar next time.*
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:give the ball to harmon, block, tackle, win.

Thanks? :confused:
Jimmy Dugan Wrote:give the ball to harmon, block, tackle, win.

That will work against some teams, IMO The offense will need to be very diversified to be succesfull against solid teams, I think they will need a very mixed bag, they have alot of talent ,not just Harmin, . It will be interesting to see how Coach Copley uses the speed of all the talent. I have seen these kids from pewee up, They have got a solid crew and alot of speed.They have got talent that has not been exsposed, We will see how they use it. You need alot of spokes to make a good wheel, not just one. I look for Pikeville to have a great season. Go Panthers
A Decent Lineman Wrote:BUT the big thing is expirience!! If you have sophomore stepping into a starting role for the first time, then you dont know what will happen in a pressure situation. Varsity football is way different than 8th grade freshman or jv football is.

Yes they still have harmon but he cannot do it all by himself if he has new players that he has not played with and does not yet wholly trust to block for him or w/e. So in my ever so humble opinion

As for the first part, we have a lot of underclassmen stepping into roles this year in which they received quality varsity starts last year. The experience should be there. For the second part, when did you and Harmon become such good friends that he now confides in you whether or not he trusts his teammates? Harmon will be fine, the line will be fine, and Pikeville as a whole should be fine. Thanks for all of the concern from Hazard though.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Will the new coach use the same offensive and defensive schemes as the previous coach?
Being that Copely has been DC since '05 I imagine the Defense will be the same. The offense will be as well only a little more simplified from last year whaich will do nothing but help. Im sure that Coach Copley will add in some different wrinkles on both sides of the ball.
What are the current numbers???
Chuck Taylor Wrote:What are the current numbers???

MY guess is on the first day of practice we should have 45-50 and that might be a conservative guess on my part. Either way IMO we will have quite a few more out than last year which is a good thing.
I hope pikeville has a great season.. look forward to it !!!

GO PANTHERS !!!