Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Idol gives back!!!
Well for those of you that are not watching the show this year its that time of the year for Idols give back tom night. This is a great thing they started a couple of years ago,. They have raised Millions of dollars for the less fortunate kids. Most of the money goes over seas. I think they are doing a great thing just wish they would worry about our own a little more. So whats your thoughts on this.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I remember last year hearing about them featuring a school from Letcher County on that broadcast, seemed like a lot of people were upset over the way the area was shown. I think if the needy can be helped by the donations great. I gotta admit American Idol is one show I absolutely cannot stand.
I'd be curious to know what percentage of the money/donations goes to those in need.

I think the concept is great.
I like it. I think it is an awesome idea.
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I'd be curious to know what percentage of the money/donations goes to those in need.

Yea but what gets me is more of the money goes over seas to other countries instead of righ here at home where its needed. Dont get me wrong I am all for help out the other less fortunate kids and families from the other countries I just think we need to work on out own first.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I'd be curious to know what percentage of the money/donations goes to those in need.

I remember reading something earlier in the week that Idol isn't really clear on a lot of issues surrounding the program. I wish I could find the link to it but it seems like it might not be as good as it seems.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:I remember reading something earlier in the week that Idol isn't really clear on a lot of issues surrounding the program. I wish I could find the link to it but it seems like it might not be as good as it seems.
Chances are its not its kinda like the MOFOP in Pikeville "RAISING MONEY FOR FALLING OFFICERS" to bad one of every 100 dollars actually goes to those families.
clipperw Wrote:I remember last year hearing about them featuring a school from Letcher County on that broadcast, seemed like a lot of people were upset over the way the area was shown. I think if the needy can be helped by the donations great. I gotta admit American Idol is one show I absolutely cannot stand.
They just showed another Kentucky county this year, Clay County I beleive.
I agree that it is a great concept, and I know that there are people in Kentucky that need the help. We should help them all we can, but I am so tired of them showing people with dirty yards and no teeth. I can't lie, I was once again aggravated when I saw what part of our beautiful region they were showing. I know, there are places in my own county like that, MANY places. And I understand that some people can't afford dental care, but they can get outside and clean their yard and try to keep their home up. The only thing they show when they show Appalachia is all of the run down places. I know many people under the poverty level who need the help just as bad that keep their place neat and work for what they have. Why can't they show those people, as well as the ones that they need to make the impact? It is no wonder that the rest of the world has a negative view of Kentucky, a place I am so proud to be from. I know you all will post back and disagree with me and say that I have no heart. But I guess that is what this forum is all about. Trust me, I have a HUGE heart for people and am thankful for organizations that want to help. I'm just tired of all of the negative publicity that our region receives.

At least this year they showed the book program that Clay County has. That is a wonderful idea that they have implemented. And the school on the show looked great with the programs that they have for their students.

Does anybody know if Letcher County receved money from last year's show?
Well once again I bawled my eyes out during every segment. But it was sad to say that when they showed KY, I didn't. I guess its just where I'm so used to seeing this kind of thing. I drive by places like this all the time. Don't get me wrong, it did have an impact on me, but I think its sad that people have to be used to that. There are tons of families out there who need help!
It is the least that they could do considering the money generated by the American Idol enterprise!!

Nice seeing Daughtry go to Africa and for Kentucky to get some recognition. But I hate seeing Kentucky portrayed like this. I mean, sure there are lots of people living in poverty in Kentucky that need help, but no network ever wants to show even one nice home in Kentucky on TV!
EKY Sportster Wrote:no network ever wants to show even one nice home in Kentucky on TV!

I know. The only time I have ever seen a nice home from KY showed on TV, was on Cheerleader Nation.

oh, and Anna Nicole Smith's baby and boyfriend (father of the baby). It showed their mansion-like house that is in Lexington.
I wish they'd go down the alleys in New York or Washington DC and show all the homeless people in the streets. Yeah its great they're in Kentucky, yatty yatty yatta, but instead of showing a bunch of toothless people with 58 foot (circa 1982) satellites in the yard in front of their run down single wide with 27 family members living in it, why not go somewhere and portray the slums in other states. I guarantee you there's more eyesores in New York, DC, or any other place in this country, than here. I wish they'd come to my door. I'd show them my 32 white teeth that arent false, a nice place, and a toilet that is flushed every time its used. Im sure their minds would be blown away to think that not everybody in Kentucky is poor as ****in dirt, drives a 1985 Tempo with four different color doors and 4 different tires (cant leave out the big studded snow tire on the front driver side), and actually talk to someone that makes a decent living. But then the entertainment value of putting Kentucky on TV would drop drastically, and our image might actually change.