Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does anybody know the score of today's Georgetown - Pikeville College baseball game
I saw where Geogetown swept Pikeville College yesterday and they were playing today. I have not seen any scores.....does anybody know what happened today.....Thanks
G-town 1 - Pikeville - 0
Wow close game. Looks like a great game
I saw on Georgetown's website where they swept the series. This is so sad because I hate to see Pikeville College baseball in this shape. A parent told me that this made them something like 2 - 18 or 2 - 20. He was very upset. What seems to be the problem with the team.
I got blasted for sayin this a while back when I said Jeff Cyrus coulda signed with a better college than PC, but here we go. Pikeville is in this shape because they DON'T HAVE A COACH. I like Don, but he know's jack about baseball. The school hired him to save money. He was already a school employee when he was hired. All that school cares about is basketball and bowlin.
Redneck Wrote:I got blasted for sayin this a while back when I said Jeff Cyrus coulda signed with a better college than PC, but here we go. Pikeville is in this shape because they DON'T HAVE A COACH. I like Don, but he know's jack about baseball. The school hired him to save money. He was already a school employee when he was hired. All that school cares about is basketball and bowlin.

True but it will take recruits like Cyrus to get this program turned back around. I think signing Jeff early was a great move.
The past two recruiting classes have not been very good. I think they have stopped trying to get kids from around the state, they need to venture off from eastern kentucky if they are going to be competitive, it's sad, and I would love to see that program get turned around. If they keep him the administration has to get him some assistants who know what they are doing when it comes to recruiting.
I spoke with coach couple weeks ago and he said he doesnt even have an assistant. You cannot have a college baseball program and not have assistants.
OMG Wrote:True but it will take recruits like Cyrus to get this program turned back around. I think signing Jeff early was a great move.
At what position would you envision Cyrus playing? He is not middle infield material, IMO.
Tubby Hater Wrote:I spoke with coach couple weeks ago and he said he doesnt even have an assistant. You cannot have a college baseball program and not have assistants.

I think that Rob Taylor has been helping a little here lately.
zerocode Wrote:I saw on Georgetown's website where they swept the series. This is so sad because I hate to see Pikeville College baseball in this shape. A parent told me that this made them something like 2 - 18 or 2 - 20. He was very upset. What seems to be the problem with the team.

If you want to find out anything about them you have to look at someone else's web site, because you'll not find it on Pikeville's web site. No stats, no scores, and not even a roster. I think that it is a Mid -South Conference rule that stats must be maintained and posted. Hopefully a very capable assistant somewhere in this world can help with some of this stuff. It may not be until next year however.Wink
Mr.Kimball Wrote:At what position would you envision Cyrus playing? He is not middle infield material, IMO.

JMO but I think Cyrus will have to move to 3rd base. I'm basing that on his feet work and range from shortstop. He is obviously not a second baseman, he has too good of an arm to waiste him at 2nd and I would push for him to be at 3rd. He has a great frame and his feet work puts him automatically flat footed, but we'll see. He'll be a good assest there regardless.
Will they have an assistant next year and will the college pay for it? I just cannot believe that the college has let it get to this point. I remember watching baseball at Pikeville College for a long time. I am glad that Rob is helping a little. They need to get some guys like him and Craig DeLong, that Justice boy who was a pitcher, Craig Ratliff, and others who know some baseball to help out. I hope it gets better.
zerocode Wrote:Will they have an assistant next year and will the college pay for it? I just cannot believe that the college has let it get to this point. I remember watching baseball at Pikeville College for a long time. I am glad that Rob is helping a little. They need to get some guys like him and Craig DeLong, that Justice boy who was a pitcher, Craig Ratliff, and others who know some baseball to help out. I hope it gets better.

I familiar with a couple of those guys but I haven't heard if they are helping out or not.
OMG Wrote:JMO but I think Cyrus will have to move to 3rd base. I'm basing that on his feet work and range from shortstop. He is obviously not a second baseman, he has too good of an arm to waiste him at 2nd and I would push for him to be at 3rd. He has a great frame and his feet work puts him automatically flat footed, but we'll see. He'll be a good assest there regardless.
He does have have a very quick bat. Coming from the left side also a huge asset. 3rd would probably be the best position IMO too. Speed on the base paths could be a concern though. Happen to know any 60 times?
zerocode Wrote:Will they have an assistant next year and will the college pay for it? I just cannot believe that the college has let it get to this point. I remember watching baseball at Pikeville College for a long time. I am glad that Rob is helping a little. They need to get some guys like him and Craig DeLong, that Justice boy who was a pitcher, Craig Ratliff, and others who know some baseball to help out. I hope it gets better.

Craig DeLong is an assistant at JCHS.
That is good to hear about Craig. I can remember him as a player and what a hitter he was. To be honest I have not been around I guess enough to really pass any judgement on the program. I just hope they will get an assistant coach and the college will pump money into the program. I really enjoyed when I watched them play when Roy Cutright coached them. I remember Craig, Rob, Ron being a bunch of tough hitters in that league. They had a collins kid from Morehead playing second base who was a fine player.

Well I did not mean to stir up anything. I wish Pikeville College the best and hope they can get it going.
Tubby Hater Wrote:I spoke with coach couple weeks ago and he said he doesnt even have an assistant. You cannot have a college baseball program and not have assistants.

And that goes back to the point I made about the school not carin about anything but basketball and bowlin. It's sad.
Redneck Wrote:And that goes back to the point I made about the school not carin about anything but basketball and bowlin. It's sad.

Isn't this true I have talked to him a couple of times and from what coach has told to me is that the college will not allow him to go out of the area to recruit. It really is sad how the college puts a damper on all other sports besides basketball and bowling.

Someone said Rob Taylor is helping, just wondering how that is working out when he coaches at Morehead State?

However by only recruting locally he has a few good players. Such as Tyler Smith and Jon Willamson from Pike Central two great out fielders while Smith can play just about any where with his foot work and arm. Hope Coach can turn the program around!
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Isn't this true I have talked to him a couple of times and from what coach has told to me is that the college will not allow him to go out of the area to recruit. It really is sad how the college puts a damper on all other sports besides basketball and bowling.

Someone said Rob Taylor is helping, just wondering how that is working out when he coaches at Morehead State?

However by only recruting locally he has a few good players. Such as Tyler Smith and Jon Willamson from Pike Central two great out fielders while Smith can play just about any where with his foot work and arm. Hope Coach can turn the program around!

You are obviously confused and bewildered on every aspect that you wrote about.

Rob Taylor is no longer at Morehead. Morehead State replaced their head coach this year, and he brought in all new assistants.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Isn't this true I have talked to him a couple of times and from what coach has told to me is that the college will not allow him to go out of the area to recruit. It really is sad how the college puts a damper on all other sports besides basketball and bowling.

Recruiting has been a problem for a couple of years, and I don't think you can keep a coach from recruiting outside the area. JUCO, Lexington, Louisville, Tennessee, these are all wide open to be recruited, and hopefully in the near future it will be.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You are obviously confused and bewildered on every aspect that you wrote about.

Rob Taylor is no longer at Morehead. Morehead State replaced their head coach this year, and he brought in all new assistants.

From what I was told Rob has been helping once or twice a week, and coming to home games. Other than that I heard he may get a job as an assistant at a high school down south.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:You are obviously confused and bewildered on every aspect that you wrote about.

I only knew that Rob had been coaching at Morehead and was not aware of a coaching change nor had I seen him around. Considering when I read this I figured he would have been at church b/c he use to go to church with me. As well many friends of mine that go to Morehead had said he was on campus a few times over the past month and they have spoken with him. So just did not know. Just to add I was questioning whether something had happened or not.

To go back to recruiting, actually in the NAIA, colleges do have an unlimited amount of ways to restrict your recruiting options. The colleges (especially Pikeville) will restrict coaches from going out of a certain area to recruit. Now can the coaches go out of their way and go behind the colleges back sure. As well the college dictates how many scholarships are alloted to each sport. Trust me I know how Pikeville works with this whole recruiting business. When the soccer program was first in place the coach at the time Calvin Wheat was told he was not allowed to recruit any where besides locally. Unless contacted by a player outside of the EKY area.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:I only knew that Rob had been coaching at Morehead and was not aware of a coaching change nor had I seen him around. Considering when I read this I figured he would have been at church b/c he use to go to church with me. As well many friends of mine that go to Morehead had said he was on campus a few times over the past month and they have spoken with him. So just did not know. Just to add I was questioning whether something had happened or not.

To go back to recruiting, actually in the NAIA, colleges do have an unlimited amount of ways to restrict your recruiting options. The colleges (especially Pikeville) will restrict coaches from going out of a certain area to recruit. Now can the coaches go out of their way and go behind the colleges back sure. As well the college dictates how many scholarships are alloted to each sport. Trust me I know how Pikeville works with this whole recruiting business. When the soccer program was first in place the coach at the time Calvin Wheat was told he was not allowed to recruit any where besides locally. Unless contacted by a player outside of the EKY area.

Well the reason I can assure you this is false is look at the basketball and football teams. Basketball has a kid on a full scholarship from jamaica. Do you think he contacted Pikeville College from Jamaica? The football has all kinds of kids from South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. They can not tell you that for one sport if they don't tell every sport that. Most of the rosters on basketball and football are made up of non-area kids.
OMG Wrote:Well the reason I can assure you this is false is look at the basketball and football teams. Basketball has a kid on a full scholarship from jamaica. Do you think he contacted Pikeville College from Jamaica? The football has all kinds of kids from South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, etc. They can not tell you that for one sport if they don't tell every sport that. Most of the rosters on basketball and football are made up of non-area kids.

DO you go to Pikeville COllege just wondering. B?c I am going to end this discussion right now if you talk to a lot of the players on the teams besides football and/or basketball most of them were not even recruited, a lot of the kids were handed scholarships once they got to Pikeville. Trust me I go to Pikeville and talk to many of the kids everyday.
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:DO you go to Pikeville COllege just wondering. B?c I am going to end this discussion right now if you talk to a lot of the players on the teams besides football and/or basketball most of them were not even recruited, a lot of the kids were handed scholarships once they got to Pikeville. Trust me I go to Pikeville and talk to many of the kids everyday.

So are you saying these kids on the basketball and football teams just decided to go to pikeville college and then when they got there that's when they decided to play sports? That is the way your explaining it. I doubt to many Pikeville College brochures make it to Jamaica in the mail, but that's just me I don't know. It says you go to Cumberland? Do you go to both?
OMG Wrote:So are you saying these kids on the basketball and football teams just decided to go to pikeville college and then when they got there that's when they decided to play sports? That is the way your explaining it. I doubt to many Pikeville College brochures make it to Jamaica in the mail, but that's just me I don't know. It says you go to Cumberland? Do you go to both?
Can you not comprehend anything I said if you talk to many players BESIDES BASKETBALL OR FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Meaning yes basketball and football players are recruited but the other sports besides bowling are mainly kids who originally did not decide to play.

I transfered to Pikeville in Jan.:Thumbs:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Can you not comprehend anything I said if you talk to many players BESIDES BASKETBALL OR FOOTBALL PLAYERS. Meaning yes basketball and football players are recruited but the other sports besides bowling are mainly kids who originally did not decide to play.

I transfered to Pikeville in Jan.:Thumbs:

Oh well I understand now, but I don't see how that relates to what we were discussing. I said that baseball could recruite outside of the area, you said they couldn't, then I gave you the basketball and football comparison, and now your saying how the rest of the sports aren't recruited. I'm sorry, but i don't see how that has anything to do with baseball recruiting outside the area. Softball does, volleyball does, basketball does, football does, and I really hate to spring this on you, but all of the bowling kids are recruited. Take a look at their roster and you tell me. Half of these towns these kids are from have never even seen or heard of Pikeville more less the college...

Barnes, Kyle Sophomore Smyrna, Tenn.
Boatman, Matthew Freshman Science Hill, Ky.
Burris, Thomas Sophomore Bronson, Ky.
Cheff, Jimmy Freshman Austintown, Ohio
Essenmacher III, John Sophomore Lenox, Mich.
Grundy, John Junior Ashland, Ohio
Hause, Nathan Junior Charlotte, Mich.
Hawkins, Jesse Freshman Southaven, Miss.
Hollis, Christopher Sophomore Canal Winchester, Ohio
King, Jeremy Freshman Pikeville, Ky.
Mantle, Mark Freshman Westerville, Ohio
Palinkas, Matthew Freshman Mentor, Ohio
Patz, Jimmy Freshman Garfield Heights, Ohio
Richardson III, Gerald Junior Raleigh, N.C.
Wagner, Seth Freshman Fremont, Ohio
White, Christopher Sophomore Murfreesboro, Tenn
OMG Wrote:Oh well I understand now, but I don't see how that relates to what we were discussing. I said that baseball could recruite outside of the area, you said they couldn't, then I gave you the basketball and football comparison, and now your saying how the rest of the sports aren't recruited. I'm sorry, but i don't see how that has anything to do with baseball recruiting outside the area. Softball does, volleyball does, basketball does, football does, and I really hate to spring this on you, but all of the bowling kids are recruited. Take a look at their roster and you tell me. Half of these towns these kids are from have never even seen or heard of Pikeville more less the college...

Barnes, Kyle Sophomore Smyrna, Tenn.
Boatman, Matthew Freshman Science Hill, Ky.
Burris, Thomas Sophomore Bronson, Ky.
Cheff, Jimmy Freshman Austintown, Ohio
Essenmacher III, John Sophomore Lenox, Mich.
Grundy, John Junior Ashland, Ohio
Hause, Nathan Junior Charlotte, Mich.
Hawkins, Jesse Freshman Southaven, Miss.
Hollis, Christopher Sophomore Canal Winchester, Ohio
King, Jeremy Freshman Pikeville, Ky.
Mantle, Mark Freshman Westerville, Ohio
Palinkas, Matthew Freshman Mentor, Ohio
Patz, Jimmy Freshman Garfield Heights, Ohio
Richardson III, Gerald Junior Raleigh, N.C.
Wagner, Seth Freshman Fremont, Ohio
White, Christopher Sophomore Murfreesboro, Tenn

Yeah thats the Bowling team of course they are going to be able to recruit all around they are one of the top programs in the nation unlike the baseball team. I'm just saying what I have been told from coaches at Pikeville so believe me or not. Nothing but respect for you b/c i see what you are saying as well OMG.:Thumbs:
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:Yeah thats the Bowling team of course they are going to be able to recruit all around they are one of the top programs in the nation unlike the baseball team. I'm just saying what I have been told from coaches at Pikeville so believe me or not. Nothing but respect for you b/c i see what you are saying as well OMG.:Thumbs:

So your saying like soccer and cheerleading and golf and probably tennis too. I can see that because these sports don't generally carry a lot of athletes. I remember hearing a lot of the men's tennis team around 2001, but from what I heard it got disbanned because there wasn't one american and they were all playing on pro circuits in their home country's. That might be why they don't recruit for it anymore, huh? haha. I don't want you to take anything personaly by no means, I respect you and I wouldn't want you to think otherwise.