Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Little League in Powell Co.
We just went to a new system for our L.L. We will now have one league in Powell Co. The 9's, 10's, 11's, & 12's will play in one league, together. It is a #'s issue. I think we only have about 100 kids in the 9-12 yr olds. Therefore, we don't have enough to seperate the 9 & 10's from the 11 & 12's. We are sitting on 8 teams as of now, but may have to drop to 7. From what I hear, the 100 will drop quite a bit. Some parents don't feel comfortable with their 9 having to face a 12. There is nothing wrong with them feeling that way. I personally don't have a problem with it. When my son was 9, he was playing up with the 11 & 12's & did just fine. He wasn't great, but made several good plays. Now granted, had he been seriously hurt by a 12 yr old pitcher, that could have really affected him each and everytime he came back up to bat. Bottom line, we need kids to come out and play.
When my son was 9 he played with 12 year olds and to be totally honest it benefited him. He watched and learned quite a bit. Most 12 year olds have enough sense to watch how they pitch to a 9 year old too. NOT by any means saying that they would take it easy on them but they are just more aware. I personally like the 9-12 together thing as IMO it makes your 9-10 year old all-stars MUCH more competitive. They are used to playing with older children therefore they play at a different level. Come tourney time.... you will see the difference!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:When my son was 9 he played with 12 year olds and to be totally honest it benefited him. He watched and learned quite a bit. Most 12 year olds have enough sense to watch how they pitch to a 9 year old too. NOT by any means saying that they would take it easy on them but they are just more aware. I personally like the 9-12 together thing as IMO it makes your 9-10 year old all-stars MUCH more competitive. They are used to playing with older children therefore they play at a different level. Come tourney time.... you will see the difference!!

I agree with you phs1986. My son benefitted a bunch. I like him playing with older kids. They push him much harder. He even lifts weights with high schoolers. It isn't for every kid but some do benefit. We had another meeting tonight. We may be going to a minor/major league. details are sketchy. Gonna work it all out Saturday.TongueirateSho
Little league draft has happened and it went pretty good. They decided to make a minor/major league. All 9's will be minors, regardless of skill. All 12's will be majors, regardless of skill. 10's & 11's will be picked based on skill. After all 4 teams fill their 12 kid roster, the remaining 11' & 10's will be picked up in the minors. Those 10's & 11's more than likely will be the stars in the minors. Also, it was left up to the parents of the 10's to let their child play up with the 12's. Over-all, it should be a very competitive league. Good Luck to the A's, Pirates, Braves, & Yankees. Play hard and fair.