Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoking in Public
Then walk away.

You can delete this one also.Big Grin :thumpsup:
Walking away is a good solution, but it isn't always possible in line at Shell-Mart or the grocery store. Cigarette smoke stinks in the category of pet urine. One can walk in a store for twelve seconds and come out smelling of Sodom and Gomorrah.
thecavemaster Wrote:Walking away is a good solution, but it isn't always possible in line at Shell-Mart or the grocery store. Cigarette smoke stinks in the category of pet urine. One can walk in a store for twelve seconds and come out smelling of Sodom and Gomorrah.
A person that respects others wouldn't smoke in line at Shell-Mart or the grocery store. I wouldn't, but that should be my choice, not the Gov. or yours. As for the smell, yes, I would agree. But alcohol smells terrible to me, so I avoid it. I don't go around protesting to shut down bars.
Crossbones Wrote:A person that respects others wouldn't smoke in line at Shell-Mart or the grocery store. I wouldn't, but that should be my choice, not the Gov. or yours. As for the smell, yes, I would agree. But alcohol smells terrible to me, so I avoid it. I don't go around protesting to shut down bars.

Public health issues are the rightful domain of governmental intervention. That intervention should be used with discretion, but the old "leave this country boy alone" thinking has its limitations.
Crossbones Wrote:That statement goes for all people IMO. If you leave your house, then you inturn have given up some of your rights. As for the last paragraph, you are basically saying non smokers are better than smokers and are less than you right? Hypocrites!!!! Do you drink alcohol? And please don't say it's apple and oranges. Do you break the speed limit? They both infringe on my freedoms and you are indangering my life.

I never said nonsmokers are better than smokers, you're making things up now. All I said is that someone's freedoms will be infringed upon, either the right to smoke or the right to breathe smoke-free air. If you allow public smoking, then you are saying the rights of smokers are more important than those of nonsmokers. No matter which opinion you hold, one group will not be happy.

As for drinking alcohol or breaking the speed limit, neither of the two by itself directly affects the health of other people. There are numerous laws pertaining to alcohol (public drunkenness, driving under the influence) that protect the well-being of others, and without breaking these laws, no one is hurt. As for speeding, no one is hurt unless the speeding leads to a wreck, although it is actually breaking a law to go over the limit in the first place.

Smoking, on the other hand, does affect my health if you do it next to me. Which draws a very clear distinction.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thecavemaster Wrote:Public health issues are the rightful domain of governmental intervention. That intervention should be used with discretion, but the old "leave this country boy alone" thinking has its limitations.
Get im' Cavemaster Confusedmile:
Quote:As for drinking alcohol or breaking the speed limit, neither of the two by itself directly affects the health of other people. There are numerous laws pertaining to alcohol (public drunkenness, driving under the influence) that protect the well-being of others, and without breaking these laws, no one is hurt. As for speeding, no one is hurt unless the speeding leads to a wreck, although it is actually breaking a law to go over the limit in the first place.

I think you may want to delete this, in respect to staying on topic. My post got deleted for talking about SMOKING. And you talk about alcohol? speeding?

this is a prime example of the double standard that exists. send me rule #6 again please. Or better yet... read it yourself. More Cowbell, please... reconsider what you're doing here. Its hypocritical.. .and you're way better than that. :-(
Rule #6 involves complaining about the site. I didn't see where anyone else was complaining about it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ComfortEagle Wrote:Rule #6 involves complaining about the site. I didn't see where anyone else was complaining about it.

Its not about the site. Its about MC. And yes, you will see someone else complaining about it.. himself. He deleted told me to stay on topic, when my post was about SMOKING. His post included several references to alcohol and speeding. Why is this? Its the only question and problem that I have.

Disagree with my ideas, but don't apply a double standard to me. Thats all I ask.

Overall, this is a fair website, very fair actually. But there's some on here that don't want to keep it that way.
thecavemaster Wrote:Public health issues are the rightful domain of governmental intervention. That intervention should be used with discretion, but the old "leave this country boy alone" thinking has its limitations.
Yes, it should be used with discretion, especially when it infringes on peoples rights (we the people) isn't that what this country was founded on. As for the "leave this country boy alone" remark, we only say that when "us city boys are better that you and have more rights" comes to mind. You or no one else is better than me. As for limitations, that goes both ways. You have your oppinion, I have mine. I can live with that. As I stated earlier, I have always respected others. I expect the same in return.:Thumbs:
RammsteinFan92 Wrote:Get im' Cavemaster Confusedmile:
He, you or no one else will "Get me". :Thumbs: Rolleyes
"Leave this country boy alone thinking" is not meant as disrespectful. At least what I mean by it is a certain mindset that holds individualism up as pinultimate almost, if not, across the board. If a person lives deep in the woods and never crosses paths with society, it might be possible. However, as we interact together is social cross sections, sometimes governmental regulation is a necessity. Traffic laws allow everyone the freedom to drive without (hopefully) fear of being smashed at every intersection. I meant no disrespect at all... and don't view debating issues or disagreeing as "getting" anyone. Also, I don't live in the city.
More Cowbell Wrote:I never said nonsmokers are better than smokers, you're making things up now. All I said is that someone's freedoms will be infringed upon, either the right to smoke or the right to breathe smoke-free air. If you allow public smoking, then you are saying the rights of smokers are more important than those of nonsmokers. No matter which opinion you hold, one group will not be happy.

As for drinking alcohol or breaking the speed limit, neither of the two by itself directly affects the health of other people. There are numerous laws pertaining to alcohol (public drunkenness, driving under the influence) that protect the well-being of others, and without breaking these laws, no one is hurt. As for speeding, no one is hurt unless the speeding leads to a wreck, although it is actually breaking a law to go over the limit in the first place.
Smoking, on the other hand, does affect my health if you do it next to me. Which draws a very clear distinction.
I'm not making anything up. Maybe you should have phrased it better. From your quote, you basically said, someone's freedoms will be infringed upon, so let the nonsmokers have their way. To me, that is saying nonsmokers are better that smokers.
I disagree with you about the affects of alcohol or breaking the speed limit, both have taken more lives individually than second hand smoke has. What about driving with a cell phone in your hand. Same thing, you endanger everyone around you.
Smoking next to you, probably could affect you health, I have no doubt. But do you have any Idea, how long you would have to be around the smoke to be affected? As for drawing a clear distinction, it is only clear to you because you said it. If I was in a restraunt smoking (which I never do anyway) and it is legal to smoke there. You walk in to be served, who has more rights? Me smoking ( who was already there) or you that just came in.
I was standing outside at Wendy's, in the parking lot waiting to go in. I was smoking a cig. beside my car away from everyone (as I always do). A woman walks up to me from the end of the parking lot and says "that thing stinks and you need to put it out". I simply told her. "I sorry it smelled bad to you, but if you would have went on in about 50 yard back instead of walking closer to me, maybe the smell wouldn't have been so bad."Wink
thecavemaster Wrote:"Leave this country boy alone thinking" is not meant as disrespectful. At least what I mean by it is a certain mindset that holds individualism up as pinultimate almost, if not, across the board. If a person lives deep in the woods and never crosses paths with society, it might be possible. However, as we interact together is social cross sections, sometimes governmental regulation is a necessity. Traffic laws allow everyone the freedom to drive without (hopefully) fear of being smashed at every intersection. I meant no disrespect at all... and don't view debating issues or disagreeing as "getting" anyone. Also, I don't live in the city.
I knew what you were trying to say. I took no disrespect from it. I was merely trying to use the same metaphor. And I do not view debating as "getting" anyone. I was again, trying to make a point to the young man. I have had many debates in my life and never a hard felling. In fact, I have no doubt that you and I could sit down over a dinner and probably be friends even though we disagree on issues. I would respect you and not smoke around you. I believe form your post that you would show me the same respect. That is the point of debating, to come to a sensible conclusion.Wink :Thumbs:
Absolutely. Also, I have loved some ladies...and I have loved Jim Beam... though not enough ladies and too much Jim Beam...
thecavemaster Wrote:Absolutely. Also, I have loved some ladies...and I have loved Jim Beam... though not enough ladies and too much Jim Beam...
Smile I have seen those days myself. Been a little over 16 years for me now.
I love the fact that Pikeville City limits has gone smoke free, I do however feel that Coal run has not followed suit so I therefore avoid their establishments except for a really good mexican place near the old Food City. My biggest problem I have though is that parents are making the decision, not all of them, most smoke outside when children are present. But, when I go past a store parking lot to see a car full of people with 3 kids in the back seat with no voice, windows rolled up, and people smoking, atleast 2 of them, why do they have the right to cause their health to be in jeopardy now and in the future. Christopher Reeves wife died because she had been a singer in a nightclub for many years, she never smoked but died of lung cancer. Think about that.