Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountaintop-removal.
Reading the Lexington Hearld-Leader I noticed that most of the people that are against mountaintop-removal are not even from around here. Why is that. It looks as though most are from Central Kentucky, Vanceburg, Richmond, Lexington, and Berea. The head of this removal of mountaintop-removal mining is from where, Lexington.
A lot of people oppose MTR from all different regions, it's not just limited to this area, which I think is great. Mountain top removal effects all areas of the state, as the KY river which is a water source for people in that area, runs through much of eastern ky and is affected by MTR.

There are a lot of grassroots organizations that have people from eastern Ky, and WV that oppose MTR, a few of them are ilovemountains.org, Kentuckians for the commonwealth, Appalachian voices, OHVEC.
Rolleyes Here we go again...
I recently visited a old mine site which was reclaimed. It is one of the nicest golf courses I have ever seen. There is some good from MTR but people don't want to look at BOTH the pros and cons.....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:I recently visited a old mine site which was reclaimed. It is one of the nicest golf courses I have ever seen. There is some good from MTR but people don't want to look at BOTH the pros and cons.....

Exactly, and Redneck, I said the same thing when I seen the thread title.
Redneck Wrote:Rolleyes Here we go again...

Why even reply to a thread if you feel that way about it?
phs1986 Wrote:I recently visited a old mine site which was reclaimed. It is one of the nicest golf courses I have ever seen. There is some good from MTR but people don't want to look at BOTH the pros and cons.....

People do look at the pros and the cons. Some think the cons are worse, some think the pros outweigh the negative.

Most MTR arent used for developmental purposes. And how many of your average citizens here can afford to Golf?
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:People do look at the pros and the cons. Some think the cons are worse, some think the pros outweigh the negative.

Most MTR arent used for developmental purposes. And how many of your average citizens here can afford to Golf?

All the golf courses I've been too in this area are always very busy, especially on the weekends.

So there may be more than you think.

As for MTR, I'm for it. It brings more jobs to smaller areas and provides area for parks and homes.

Exp: StoneCrest in Prestonsburg.

We have a horse show park, around 30+ homes, state of the art golf course, and 5 baseball/softball fields.

It may have its cons but StoneCrest has done wonders for the city of Prestonsburg.
I wish that they would use one of the MTR sites to put in one of those alternate Energy Sites. Such as the one were they use the wind for creating energy. It could be easily done in this area with winds that blow on top of these mountains. Cleaner and cheaper for the area.
AGAIN????? My gosh..
I think the reason you hear more about it from Central KY, is that the topic is somewhat of a "touchy" subject in Eastern KY. Or considered taboo by the news publishers around Eastern KY. You know the News Express doesn't want to upset any readers.

Since being in this area for college, I've heard more about mountaintop removal than I care to. You also have a lot of professors around here that talk about it like it's the end of the world.

I think when an article is written, they need to research both the pros and cons of it and present both sides. I've heard from a lot of people that "it's wrong" or "it makes the mountain look ugly" or "it's bad for the environment" but then they fail to explain why and can rarely give any benefits that it may provide.

I too, have used Stone Crest as an example for how the land can be re-used.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Why even reply to a thread if you feel that way about it?

Why even start another thread like this after the way the other one turned out. It's just gonna be the same old crap and everybody will be wrong except you.

STRIP MINING PREVENTS FOREST FIRES!!!
Redneck Wrote:Why even start another thread like this after the way the other one turned out. It's just gonna be the same old crap and everybody will be wrong except you.

First off I didnt start the thread, go whine to benchwarmer about that.

Secondly everyone is not wrong besides me, just most everyone.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:First off I didnt start the thread, go whine to benchwarmer about that.

Smile Rolleyes
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:First off I didnt start the thread, go whine to benchwarmer about that.

Nobody is whinin about anything and I never said you started the thread.
Keep it on topic guys.....

There ARE BOTH pros and cons when it comes to "Strip Mining" AKA "Mountain Top Removal".......

IF I'm not mistaken... my hubby said they actually put a NICE race track on one not too far from here??? Not sure about the area but I will ask!

As for the golf course comment that was made to my post........ It would amaze you the people you see on a football field on nice pretty day hitting balls....... Besides that.... golfing (with the exception of clubs and balls) is NOT that expensive. Do high schools in the area not have "GOLF" as a sport for both boys and girls??

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
If God didn't want us strip mining, why did he put all that coal in there?
Redneck Wrote:Why even start another thread like this after the way the other one turned out. It's just gonna be the same old crap and everybody will be wrong except you.

I figured we could have an intellegent conversation but with some people you just cant do that.
Benchwarmer Wrote:I figured we could have an intellegent conversation but with some people you just cant do that.

Did you not read any of the last thread about this subject?
there was a bumper sticker that i saw today dealing with MTR if says ban mining let them freeze to death with out the heat so many people look at mining from one aspect health issues but more people die in every other type of work than in mining and thos that look at it from an environment stand point only see the mines when they are being mined not after the mine is reclaimed. Benchwarmer your right people against it are from the flat lands and dont see that mining is one of the few ways of life here. They don't see that there are few chance to make a living in the mountains they just see that it destroys the land when in fact you have to reclaim the land to where it can be used and trees planted on a reclaimed strip mine grow faster then in regular soil. But mining is a bad thing to everyone that it doesnt help
Redneck Wrote:Nobody is whinin about anything and I never said you started the thread.

The way you typed your response made it seem like you were blaming me for starting the thread.
phs1986 Wrote:Keep it on topic guys.....

There ARE BOTH pros and cons when it comes to "Strip Mining" AKA "Mountain Top Removal".......

IF I'm not mistaken... my hubby said they actually put a NICE race track on one not too far from here??? Not sure about the area but I will ask!

As for the golf course comment that was made to my post........ It would amaze you the people you see on a football field on nice pretty day hitting balls....... Besides that.... golfing (with the exception of clubs and balls) is NOT that expensive. Do high schools in the area not have "GOLF" as a sport for both boys and girls??

Golfing equipment isnt excessively expensive, but the fees that golf courses require to play are usually pretty hefty, which is what I was talking about in my reply.
Armchair QB Wrote:If God didn't want us strip mining, why did he put all that coal in there?

That has to be the worst logic I have ever heard to support MTR. God gave humans the choice, and ability to sin, does that mean we should?

Just becuase we can do something doesn't mean that we should.
vundy33 Wrote:Smile Rolleyes

My reply was a joke, I was just responding to redneck's crazy line that "Strip mining prevents forest fires". Thats a great way to show the pros of MTR.
To get back on topic I agree with a previous poster that anyone who would speak out against MTR in the press here would just really cause a lot of trouble, and possible cost them their job. There's too many historical and family ties in the mining industry here to really get any strong public support against MTR. A lot of people oppose MTR, but just don't say anything.

I believe this is why you see most of the articles criticizing MTR coming for the metro areas in the state. There aren't as many community ties to coal, and people would be more accepting to look at both sides of the issue.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:My reply was a joke, I was just responding to redneck's crazy line that "Strip mining prevents forest fires". Thats a great way to show the pros of MTR.
Hey, when you think about it it does. No trees, no fires Big Grin
Smile
Redneck Wrote:Hey, when you think about it it does. No trees, no fires Big Grin
Redneck Wrote:Did you not read any of the last thread about this subject?

Yes I did and it seems like people like you are causing this one to go down the same path.
Redneck Wrote:Hey, when you think about it it does. No trees, no fires Big Grin

How long did you have to "think about it" to figure that out.

It was post like this that caused previous threads on the same subject to go the route they did. Ignorant responses that add nothing to a debate.
Rolleyes

Benchwarmer, I don't have to say a word and this thread is gonna go south fast, especially when some of the others from the other thread see this one. I said one thing, and it was true.

Coach_Owens, why don't you explain the pros and cons IN YOUR OWN WORDS... Don't be postin links to all these websites or copy and paste articles from newspapers or websites. Let's hear it.