Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Natalie Gooch(5 no-hitters) and Pikeville Softball
3 games, 3 no-hitters, 1 regional champion

BY TOM KOPACZ

SPORTS EDITOR

The team that worried the Pikeville High softball team the most in the 15th Region All "A" Classic had the same problem Thursday that four other teams have had this season - Shelby Valley couldn't get a hit off Natalie Gooch, either.

Gooch tossed her fifth no-hitter of the season and went through three tournament games without allowing a hit as the Lady Panthers beat Shelby Valley 5-0 for the regional All "A" championship at Myers Field.

Gooch notched her fourth no-hitter in five games and struck out eight Lady Wildcats, giving up two walks. She cruised through the Shelby Valley lineup in the middle innings, retiring 12 in a row at one point.

"She's come on this year," Pikeville Coach Elizabeth Baird-Salyers said. "At the Lady Indians Classic she and Neeley really clicked. I told her pregame, 'You pitch your game and (catcher Sam) Neeley calls the game, we win this.' She came to the mound and nothing fazes her - nothing. It doesn't matter if they do get baserunners, she still doesn't get torn up. She and Neeley were unbelievable again."

Tuesday night will see a sudden rematch between the two at the same site; the Lady Panthers host Shelby Valley at 5:30 p.m. in Pikeville's 59th District opener.

Pikeville broke a scoreless stalemate in the second inning when Shawna Howard hit a sacrifice fly to push twin sister Samantha across the plate, then added another run in the third when Kylie Schmidt doubled to left and scored on a wild pitch. The Lady Panthers scored three more runs in the top of the sixth inning to insure the victory.

Schmidt hit 3-for-3 and also walked. Neeley had a two-run double in the sixth and hit 2-for-3. Samantha Howard also hit 2-for-3.

The Lady Panthers smacked out nine hits off Shelby Valley pitcher Cortney Bentley. She struck out three Pikeville batters with only two walks, but the Lady Panthers worked her to an even 2-2 count and two straight full counts in the sixth inning as they opened up the offense, getting four base hits.

Bentley had concerned Baird-Salyers in the days leading up to the game; the Pikeville coach felt Bentley always seems to have her best games against the Lady Panthers.

"My kids got the bat on her (pitches) early," Baird-Salyers said. "That's what we had to do - get the bat on her early and not let her confidence build. We jumped on her in the first inning."

http://www.news-expressky.com/articles/2...1gooch.txt
Gooch is a top pitcher in the state IMO....she is great just to be a junior 8)
I wouldn't be surprised to see her playing softball at UK in a couple years.
I wouldn't consider her to be one of the best in the state. Once you go outside of this area, you wouldn't believe the pitchers that are out there.

But.. I do believe she is the top pitcher in this region..until proven wrong. Her and her catcher work perfect together. If they keep it up they have potential to do great things in high school and in college.
Well...she has gone out of the region and done just as well....so other teams across the state havn't had much luck against her eaither. That is what I was referencing it to.
Gooch is simply amazing...to throw 5 no hitters is almost unheard of...and she almost had a perfect game the other nite against Betsy Layne except for an error... and she is only a junior, so she still has another year of high school softball left in her
There is no doubt that she is the best in the region but i honestly think she is one of the top in the state...the girl works hard at what she does...in the off season ill see her at the YMCA all the time throwing with her cather, Sam Neeley. And like bessie said they work real well together, this is a main reason why! :wink:
I hope ER can hit off her, I think they can beat her actually. In the last 2 meetings with valley, er has won 5-0 and 7-1. ER also only lost to the #3 team in the state 2-0 in the Hazard tourny. Also, Samantha Coleman teed off on one tonight against Betsy Layne, her first high school homer.
"Jesus Shuttlesworth" Wrote:I hope ER can hit off her, I think they can beat her actually. In the last 2 meetings with valley, er has won 5-0 and 7-1. ER also only lost to the #3 team in the state 2-0 in the Hazard tourny. Also, Samantha Coleman teed off on one tonight against Betsy Layne, her first high school homer.
When does East Ridge play Pikeville???
East Ridge will not hit Gooch... Neeley is too smart of a catcher and knows exactly what to throw to every batter.

IMO Pikeville will lay off the high stuff Yates throws, work the bunt, and get the hits and runs they need to win...While East Ridge will have a rough time hitting Gooch and getting a ball through the P-ville defense.
Can't wait to see this game though.
I read about Gooch in the paper and I hope that she has a great season because so far she is looking amazing to be a junior. I really do think that she will be playing for UK in a little while. I think that ER can do something with her though. They have a strong, experienced team coming into this season.
Gooch does have a great work ethic during the summer. I think all coaches would love for their players to be like that..

She struggled badly pitching in the rain the other day. She got a little rattled.
Does anyone know what schools have contacted her? If she's throwing no-nos, even in Eastern Kentucky (where fast-pitch softball is young and not as well developed as other areas of the country), she may be D-I caliber. I would guess UK won't even give her a sniff because the sport just isn't old enough to be developed to the point of D-I players coming out of the mountains. Gooch could be the first of many, though, and could certainly be the start of a good thing.

I've not seen her throw, but if she's doing that, she's got to have something.
No offense to Gooch, but if Becky Abner can't hack UK.. Gooch doesn't stand a chance..
well guess what ppl er beat pikeville last year i mean er has a good chance of beatin anyone so whatever
and jodi yates has a better chance that gooch to uk
Why would you bring this up? and what does East Ridge have to do with this thread?