Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
6th Graders playing in middle school
Powell Co. has 6th graders on the middle school team. It really hurts the little league though. We have a hard enough time as it is to get the #'s for L.L.. I wish all 6th graders stayed in the L.L. only. JMO
Russell Middle school has 6th,7th and 8th grades in the Middle School. They have the following breakdown.
BASKETBALL- A 6th grade team is compiled with the top 12 kids on it. If you dont make it, you play inter-league in the school league.
BASEBALL- All 6th graders play little league if they are under 13 as of May 1st.
FOOTBALL- All 6th graders play on the 6th grade football team. Any 5th grader who is 11 as of AUG 1st will have to play up on the 6th grade team no matter what grade he/her is in.
Basketball team plays in a league scheduled by the middle school. FOOTBALL is on their own to find games with whom ever they can because not all schools have 6th graders in the middle school.
Baseball all plays inter-league at Russell/Flatwoods.

By the way any 6th grade football teams looking for games in 2008. yell at me.!!!
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I think that letting 6th graders play up is a good way for the older kids to get more experience at the next level
My son competes in Middle School Track, he was a 5th grader last year and won the Area 7 championships at Boyd County this past spring.. He placed 1st in 100 meter hurdles, 2 in 300 meter hurdles and 3rd in triple jump as a 5th grader,, he is planning on competing in the indoor track season this year at Russell. He may be able to compete at the varsity level.

BUT when it comes to football,, Russell does not have any 6th graders playing up,,,,They have no hold backs but the 6th graders do go to Middle School, but they are not on the Middle School Football Team.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
As everyone knows the KHSAA does not govern middle school sports so its up to the individual school system. I have heard in Martin County that a fourth grader will be moving up to play on the sixth grade basketball team. Myself I don' t see what the promblem is because if the kid is good enough in any sport they should be moved up because keeping them at that same level only holds them back.:letsparty
The 4th grader you are talking about is physically strong enough to play and also talented enough. Playing 4th grade ball would only teach him bad habits.
Clark Middle has 6th graders on the team. There is enough 6th graders that they have their own of at least 6 six games and have 2 and lost one game.
Who cares what grade the kids are in.If they have enough tallent where they can compete at a higher levle then they should be alloud to.
:Thumbs:
eagles sports fan Wrote:Who cares what grade the kids are in.If they have enough tallent where they can compete at a higher levle then they should be alloud to.

:Thumbs:
If talented enough to play up, then by all means they should play up. Each kid needs to be challenged.
no go to floyd county and look at some teams like betsy layne and wesley
I Think Martin County Does In Both Girls And Boys

Also A 4 Grader Played Up For Martin County I Think For The Boys Team
regulator Wrote:I Think Martin County Does In Both Girls And Boys

Also A 4 Grader Played Up For Martin County I Think For The Boys Team

For the Middle School??? Wow
Estill does
Berea does.